Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Just got my first message in a week or so. got all excited, opened it up and:

"Hello there".

Brilliant. I've got a lot to work with there.

Just play them at their own game and reply with "Hello there" back. I mean at least they spelt there correctly! THat's gotta stand for something. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

hahaha that's true.

I will reply. It just annoys me slightly. I'd never just send a two word message like that. At least make it four or five words...!

hahaha that's true.

I will reply. It just annoys me slightly. I'd never just send a two word message like that. At least make it four or five words...!

Could be saving it all for the date! :pac:

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

ChannelNo5 wrote: »
    Yeah! Me... If you're really lucky:D

He meant Crackers not Bonkers - by the way bonkers is a compliment :P

You must be getting around a bit. There is a pic of you in the Soccer thread :pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056577949

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

What sort of age difference are you talking?

Only 4-5 years, but we're talking between early and mid-20s. In my opinion there's (usually) a lot more disparity between life stages there than there would be if we were both a decade older.

I find there is a lack of people in their mid-late twenties online dating. It mostly seems to be younger people or 30s+. Does anyone else find this? Only thing I can think is that a lot of people in my age group are still in their first or second properly serious relationship, and what I'm seeing are the people who haven't had that yet or who have just got out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

No, you're right. I see a fair few under 23s and then a lot of people in their early 30s.

:(

As for me, had my date the other night. Nothing spectacular. He's perfectly nice but I felt we were just going through the motions, conversation-wise. It's a bit disappointing as he gives off a different vibe from his messages and texts!

So you guys leaving it at that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Larianne wrote: »
    Who's dating it up this weekend??

I is! :P

Advise me people: The guy I went out with last week has been messaging me to arrange to meet tomorrow. He's a bit "mad", doesn't really do proper dates etc...we went for drinks last time but that's not really his thing. Pretty sure it wasn't going to go anywhere but he's not looking for anything serious anyway and I thought he might be fun to hang out with again...

So, he texts saying that he'll be driving, can't drink, so he can pick me up in his car and we can break into a park somewhere and have the place to ourselves!!! Now I may be really square, but this did not push my buttons! Fairly sure he's not a risk at all, but the fact that he thinks that a girl would automatically be comfortable in that situation with a practical stranger didn't impress me. I texted back saying I'd rather just meet him at the station and he sent back a sarky "So, you're not comfortable breaking the law..." thing and that he'd get back to me with another plan.

I do not remotely want to go now! He's nice in many ways, but the idea of wandering round trying to find something to do with someone who doesn't like drinks/coffee/dinner etc (because they're boring), who I don't see anything long-term happening with, is not appealing.

Should I go and see how it goes, or just cancel? I'd feel quite rude cancelling when we're in the middle of making arrangements, but then I don't owe him anything...

Edit: part of my reason for maybe going is because I can be really avoidant and have got a bit sick of making plans with people then backing out out of panic! My new years resolution was to be less uptight and more open to experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Semele wrote: »
    Advise me people: The guy I went out with last week has been messaging me to arrange to meet tomorrow. He's a bit "mad", doesn't really do proper dates etc...we went for drinks last time but that's not really his thing. Pretty sure it wasn't going to go anywhere but he's not looking for anything serious anyway and I thought he might be fun to hang out with again...

So, he texts saying that he'll be driving, can't drink, so he can pick me up in his car and we can break into a park somewhere and have the place to ourselves!!! Now I may be really square, but this did not push my buttons! Fairly sure he's not a risk at all, but the fact that he thinks that a girl would automatically be comfortable in that situation with a practical stranger didn't impress me. I texted back saying I'd rather just meet him at the station and he sent back a sarky "So, you're not comfortable breaking the law..." thing and that he'd get back to me with another plan.

I do not remotely want to go now! He's nice in many ways, but the idea of wandering round trying to find something to do with someone who doesn't like drinks/coffee/dinner etc (because they're boring), who I don't see anything long-term happening with, is not appealing.

Should I go and see how it goes, or just cancel? I'd feel quite rude cancelling when we're in the middle of making arrangements, but then I don't owe him anything...

He wants the ride just? Don't do it is my opinion.

He doesn't even want to struggle through drinks to get it either. Plenty more fellas that would take you out :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

@Semele, now would be a good time to bail out. I can understand pints not being his thing but there's always coffee. Maybe go to the park when it's open and there's people in it. Sounds shifty.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

awec wrote: »
    Sounds weird. Sounds like he's been watching a few too many romance flicks! :pac:

If you don't feel comfortable about going then don't go, that's all I'd say. :)

Exactly im guessing hes got a least 1 copy of Notting Hill, probably more, at home and watches it every night trying to pick up tips from Hugh Grant.
    But seriously it sounds a bit creepy and i reckon its time to back away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Since when do you have to pay to see who viewed your profile on POF?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Last week.

Ah sh!te

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

busyliving wrote: »
    Since when do you have to pay to see who viewed your profile on POF?
    Last week.

Still active and free on the Android app, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

I just got a message of encouragement from a 58 year old man: "Don't take this serious have a good time but be yourself best of luck"

Eh, thanks?

Anyway, had two dates this week, both lovely guys. The first one was a little bit shy, but not so much that we couldn't make conversation. There was no spark for me with him though, other than the nerves on his part it could have just been two accquaintances having a chat.

Second guy, I met up with earlier today, went quite well. It was comfortable chat, he's just as good looking in person, we have loads in common and I reckon there'll be at least another date out of it :)

Semele wrote: »

Edit: part of my reason for maybe going is because I can be really avoidant and have got a bit sick of making plans with people then backing out out of panic! My new years resolution was to be less uptight and more open to experience!

Do *not* do anything you are not comfortable with!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DwightShrute

Ankhyu wrote: »
    Second guy, I met up with earlier today, went quite well. It was comfortable chat, he's just as good looking in person, we have loads in common and I reckon there'll be at least another date out of it :)

Just an observation but I've noticed on this thread that anytime a date goes really well for a girl, she seems to play it down a bit whereas if a guy has met-up with a girl he liked online and she turned out to be just as good in person he's prone to shouting it from the rooftops, beaming from ear to ear.

I don't know if that's girls being more predisposed to treading carefully when it comes to meeting a potential new partner or if it's a slight lack of confidence on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I found Pemblo online. According to the match we're not great together. On further investigation sans machina, we'd be awesome together. Be wary folks, the match making machine does not know alles.

Ok, thanks for the opinions guys. I texted him this morning to say that I'd really enjoyed meeting him but didn't see it going anywhere and didn't want to waste his time, so we should prob just leave it for tonight. I haven't had a reply yet. I may get an abusive one, cos he seems the type! I did have a fun time on the first date, but only after I'd got over the disappointment of our lack of compatibility and CHOSE to have fun anyway.

I have another first date tomorrow, which I have more enthusiasm for now I don't have the stress of this evening in advance. I'm really looking forward to it-he's been sending very good messages (whimsical, flirty, quite sarky) and we're meeting in a very posh retro ice-cream parlour, which will make a change from a pub. I'm looking forward to getting dressed up mid-afternoon:D

Best of luck with all the dates guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Fewcifur wrote: »
    I found Pemblo online. According to the match we're not great together. On further investigation sans machina, we'd be awesome together. Be wary folks, the match making machine does not know alles.
    You found me?

Smele breaking into a park sounds well dodge to me. Enjoy tonights date :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Pembily wrote: »
    You found me?

Smele breaking into a park sounds well dodge to me. Enjoy tonights date :)

You kept showing up in my matches as well when i was on OKC :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement