Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JennyBurke101

Can I get some PM advice???

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

KTRIC wrote: »
    Pembily wrote: »
    You found me?

Smele breaking into a park sounds well dodge to me. Enjoy tonights date :)

You kept showing up in my matches as well when i was on OKC :rolleyes:
    Rolleyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

awec wrote: »
    You got any dates yourself Lar?

Not sure if I can be bothered going back on it at the moment awec. I've assignments and exams coming up. Don't really want the headwrecking to commence during them! :cool:

TODAY everybody is the anniversary of my first online dating experience!! He was a complete horndog who wouldn't stop touching me and tried to lift up my skirt. He got a handshake at the end of the date. :cool: He didn't seem to like that. :pac:

Ooh been at this a year so.. Boo to that! :o

Rolleyes?

He's trying to seduce you Pem! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Rolleyes?

Just thought it was a bad match, don't mean anything bad by it. :)

OKC was fairly insistant though. I think you work near me as well so you kept and popping up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Larianne wrote: »
    Not sure if I can be bothered going back on it at the moment awec. I've assignments and exams coming up. Don't really want the headwrecking to commence during them! :cool:

TODAY everybody is the anniversary of my first online dating experience!! He was a complete horndog who wouldn't stop touching me and tried to lift up my skirt. He got a handshake at the end of the date. :cool: He didn't seem to like that. :pac:

Ooh been at this a year so.. Boo to that! :o

if-you-know-what-i-mean-420x250.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

He's trying to seduce you Pem! :D

Well if I used this ;) I might be.

awec wrote: »
    Ah, that sucks. Wise decision though!

Good luck with the assignments and exams too. The thought of doing those again is awful! :pac:

What sucks? THe no dates or that I've been at this a year? :pac:

Always good to take a break. ;)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Guys (and girls!), I need some advice please.

I met a great girl on match.com around 6-7 weeks ago. We exchanged a couple of emails initially and we met around a week later (start of February).

We have gone on five dates (last one on 28th Feb) and have got on fantastically well, a lot in common as well as good chemistry. I went on vacation back to Ireland for a week (I relocated to Toronto nearly 2 years ago). I texted her when I got back and she replied positively.

Now she seems to have gone cold. For example, she called me on a Sunday, spoke for under 5 mins and then she had to go, 'We'll talk another time' her exact words. I send her a message later that evening suggesting that we have a more extensive chat during the week and make a plan for the next weekend (the current one). No response for 3 days and when it came it went something like, 'Not feeling too well this evening, we'll talk another time'.

Maybe Im reading too much into this, but I seriously think she's lost interest despite telling me otherwise a couple of weeks earlier.

This dating lark is punishing on the mind. Why do women have to be so complicated? :(

fat__tony wrote: »
    Guys (and girls!), I need some advice please.

I met a great girl on match.com around 6-7 weeks ago. We exchanged a couple of emails initially and we met around a week later (start of February).

We have gone on five dates (last one on 28th Feb) and have got on fantastically well, a lot in common as well as good chemistry. I went on vacation back to Ireland for a week (I relocated to Toronto nearly 2 years ago). I texted her when I got back and she replied positively.

Now she seems to have gone cold. For example, she called me on a Sunday, spoke for under 5 mins and then she had to go, 'We'll talk another time' her exact words. I send her a message later that evening suggesting that we have a more extensive chat during the week and make a plan for the next weekend (the current one). No response for 3 days and when it came it went something like, 'Not feeling too well this evening, we'll talk another time'.

Maybe Im reading too much into this, but I seriously think she's lost interest despite telling me otherwise a couple of weeks earlier.

Well on the Sunday she did call you. I'd say give her a call and see how she is. Better to just get to the problem instead of wondering is it this or that.
    This dating lark is punishing on the mind. Why do women have to be so complicated? :(

Ah its both ways. Men can be just as bad.

Well on the Sunday she did call you. I'd say give her a call and see how she is. Better to just get to the problem instead of wondering is it this or that.

Ah its both ways. Men can be just as bad.

Thanks. :)

I don't deny that at all but I believe its more challenging for the guy as we have to do all the chasing and organisation so there's more pressure on us in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CarlsBurg

I understand everyones experience is different when using dating sites..

But I absolutely loathe them.
    You can send out dozens of personalized mails and to get no response, or just a few mails back and fouth then all contact stops.

I dont know what the problem is.. too many many male users on the sites? women arent willing to give a person a chance? I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

took my page down was just too much work, and after the few dates i had didnt really work out probably need the break.

Always nice change from real world dating thou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Thanks. :)

I don't deny that at all but I believe its more challenging for the guy as we have to do all the chasing and organisation so there's more pressure on us in my opinion.

Ah that's a generalisation, to be fair.

Personally, if I found myself in a position where I was letting a guy do all of the chasing and organisation, chances are it would mean I wasn't all that into him, so I'd probably end it.

And I don't think that's just me. I can't imagine many girls are interested in that sort of one-sided dating?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dolly Daydreams

Hey guys,
    Been following this thread for the last couple of weeks and couldn't wait to get to the end so I could post, some very interesting dating experiences some of you had. Anyways just looking for a bit of advice. Got chatting to a guy in January on POF and have been pretty much texting everyday since. Problem is can't meet up because of work commitments until near end of April and I'm afraid because of the length of time we're talking it might hinder for when we meet, as in we've built up images in each others heads of who we are and really hope to be not let down (either of us to be let down to be fair) Should I curb the daily texting until nearer the time of meeting or just go with the flow? Any advice would be great ;)

Hey guys,
    Been following this thread for the last couple of weeks and couldn't wait to get to the end so I could post, some very interesting dating experiences some of you had. Anyways just looking for a bit of advice. Got chatting to a guy in January on POF and have been pretty much texting everyday since. Problem is can't meet up because of work commitments until near end of April and I'm afraid because of the length of time we're talking it might hinder for when we meet, as in we've built up images in each others heads of who we are and really hope to be not let down (either of us to be let down to be fair) Should I curb the daily texting until nearer the time of meeting or just go with the flow? Any advice would be great ;)

You've being texting since January and he can't meet you until April?

Thats frankly ridiculous to be honest, work commitments or not waiting 3 months before you go on a date with someone is suspicious.

If i get talking to someone online and they don't meet within 2 weeks of texting/emailing then I don't bother.

Thats frankly ridiculous to be honest, work commitments or not waiting 3 months before you go on a date with someone is suspicious.

That's gone through my head too. The reasons seem legit enough considering what he does, maybe it could just be something for him to pass the time. He seems genuine enough and honest about other areas in his life, but it's easy to come across like that when you're hiding behind a computer.

• Advertisement

Unless he's working on an oil rig or down a mine I cannot see why he couldn't take an hour or two out of his day to meet up with you. :cool:

That's gone through my head too. The reasons seem legit enough considering what he does, maybe it could just be something for him to pass the time. He seems genuine enough and honest about other areas in his life, but it's easy to come across like that when you're hiding behind a computer.

Sorry, I came across as a bit cynical there but it does seem a bit strange.

What on earth does he do?

Sorry, I came across as a bit cynical there but it does seem a bit strange.

What on earth does he do?

Ah no, I came on for honesty as it's not sitting right for me either. Not sure if he uses boards so I'll just that there's a deadline mid-april that he has to get work done by.
    Unless he's working on an oil rig or down a mine I cannot see why he couldn't take an hour or two out of his day to meet up with you. :cool:

That was mentioned alright about an hour in the day but I'm full time and wouldn't be able to do it. It's not as if I've loads of other dates to go on or anything so I suppose waiting for another few weeks isn't such a big deal :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Hmmm I guess I'd be thinking that, if it's taking that long for ye to get time to meet up for your first date, well what happens if it goes well?! Would anything change, or are your schedules so different that you'd always have to wait weeks/months between dates?!

Hmmm I guess I'd be thinking that, if it's taking that long for ye to get time to meet up for your first date, well what happens if it goes well?! Would anything change, or are your schedules so different that you'd always have to wait weeks/months between dates?!

It's not a permanent situation for him, just kind of came along at the wrong time I suppose. Everything else is great, except for the not meeting thing. Which obviously is very important unless I want to be stuck having a text relationship for the rest of my days. Has anyone else had that on here? Chatting for a while, everything seeming great then being a big let down on the day :confused: <
    actually that's a ridiculous question reading it back, if it wasn't a let down we'd all be in relationships

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ammsy500

Definitely have had that like many on here. Chatting for a while getting on great and then you finally meet and there's no chemistry or connection or whatever you want to call it. I've chatted to guys where we are so well matched on interests and have loads in common but when it comes down to it either I don't fancy them or they don't fancy me or we both don't fancy eachother :D I think it's always best to meet up asap or you end up building a picture of them in your head that's nothing like the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Kinda gave up a few weeks ago. But saw a profile I liked today so I sent her a message. Now to play the waiting game. Maybe I'll get a reply for once. I think I may have been trying to hard in previous messages I sent. So this time I was a lot less serious and more fun! We'll see how it turns out. Stay tuned folks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

What do people reckon is a reasonable response rate to a written non-generic email?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Hah, found this profile and had to share:
    I lik to go out wit my friends hav a laugh, hav a little boy , so lik to spend my time wit him, lik to go d gym nd also lik shopping.lik all sorts of music ,lik to go on holidays nd luv to spend time wit d girls nd Jst hav a laugh!!

My god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SEEMagazine

She sounds like a keeper! My fiancee trawls this thread because, being honest, she loves car-crash posts. I might note that we met on OkC too, and chatted as friends until we had an opportunity to meet (8 months) and then only for a week...and it was a further 5 months until we could meet again. Granted the distance was non-negotiable, after all I was in Oireland, she was in Croatia.

One of us had to move, and I made the decision that it would be me.

Anyway, during my time on the site, as a singleton, I found that grammar was key for some women (they liked to know their man could handle their dangling prepositions I suppose), or wit was an ice breaker elsewhere (one girl emailed me on the basis of ONE solitary question answered out of over 1000).

Now, a mid-April work deadline does not seem wholly unusual. I work ludicrous hours myself so if I *was* single I could not take the time to travel anywhere. I can have a lazy weekend once a fortnight and be rested for work, or I can go gallivanting about the place and be utterly shattered come Monday morning.

If you like the guy you'll keep an open mind about it. I was messaging a paramedic, a beautiful woman, a long time back, but her hours, while stable, were at complete odds with my own.

Of course these sites are still full of complete whack-jobs. That guy mentioned earlier who wanted to 'break into a park'. Why? Wasn't he loved enough as a child? I was abused by a woman who found herself excluded from being potentially picked because she used drugs, something which I had flagged as a 100% deal-breaker (being a smoker was 70% deal breaker in case the lass in question was, herself, smoking).

Patience is key folks; I met the future Mrs SEE maybe 4-5 weeks into my account being active, and it took me 6 months to realise I liked her a bit more than needing to shag someone... by the time we met in the flesh it was already written in the stars.

Of course there is no Bank Holiday Monday here. Stuck in my office. Phil Coulter on Newstalk though, so that helps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement