Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dolly Daydreams

Ammsy500 wrote: »
    I think it's always best to meet up asap or you end up building a picture of them in your head that's nothing like the real thing.

You're definitely right there Ammsy, the longer it goes on, the more your (and their) imagination runs away with us..
    Bobby42 wrote: »
    Kinda gave up a few weeks ago. But saw a profile I liked today so I sent her a message. Now to play the waiting game. Maybe I'll get a reply for once. I think I may have been trying to hard in previous messages I sent. So this time I was a lot less serious and more fun! We'll see how it turns out. Stay tuned folks!

Ooohh good luck, I reckon the less serious and more witty the email the more likely you are to get a response, IMO.
    Manach wrote: »
    What do people reckon is a reasonable response rate to a written non-generic email?

Depends on what was in it? I put up a show I love in my interests and just got bombarded with one liners from it, and that was all.. Not even a how are you.
    Fewcifur wrote: »
    Hah, found this profile and had to share:

If she ends up getting more dates than me, I'm chucking myself in the liffey :cool:

She sounds like a keeper! My fiancee trawls this thread because, being honest, she loves car-crash posts. I might note that we met on OkC too, and chatted as friends until we had an opportunity to meet (8 months) and then only for a week...and it was a further 5 months until we could meet again. Granted the distance was non-negotiable, after all I was in Oireland, she was in Croatia.

One of us had to move, and I made the decision that it would be me.

Anyway, during my time on the site, as a singleton, I found that grammar was key for some women (they liked to know their man could handle their dangling prepositions I suppose), or wit was an ice breaker elsewhere (one girl emailed me on the basis of ONE solitary question answered out of over 1000).

Now, a mid-April work deadline does not seem wholly unusual. I work ludicrous hours myself so if I *was* single I could not take the time to travel anywhere. I can have a lazy weekend once a fortnight and be rested for work, or I can go gallivanting about the place and be utterly shattered come Monday morning.

If you like the guy you'll keep an open mind about it. I was messaging a paramedic, a beautiful woman, a long time back, but her hours, while stable, were at complete odds with my own.

Of course these sites are still full of complete whack-jobs. That guy mentioned earlier who wanted to 'break into a park'. Why? Wasn't he loved enough as a child? I was abused by a woman who found herself excluded from being potentially picked because she used drugs, something which I had flagged as a 100% deal-breaker (being a smoker was 70% deal breaker in case the lass in question was, herself, smoking).

Patience is key folks; I met the future Mrs SEE maybe 4-5 weeks into my account being active, and it took me 6 months to realise I liked her a bit more than needing to shag someone... by the time we met in the flesh it was already written in the stars.

Of course there is no Bank Holiday Monday here. Stuck in my office. Phil Coulter on Newstalk though, so that helps.

Ahhhh SEE, you've given me hope, lovely story :D You're absolutely spot on about grammar, that is a must for me I have to say.. None of this "hi how r u doin babz"

Yes you're right there, it's not entirely unusual, and I do know people that would put their work first and foremost if they have a deadline to meet and everything else goes on the back burner. I suppose, as I said, I've not much else going on so what's the point in pondering it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Bl**dy men!! :( (yeah and women too I know)

Been chatting to one guy for about a week - he had just signed up. Great messages, loads in common, had pics up etc. Logged on today and his profile has been deleted - what gives:confused:

And seemingly its my loss because I wouldnt meet someone with no pic! Seriously folks Im really considering joining a convent!! :rolleyes:

Ah s***e Dovies, any numbers exchanged or social network sites or anything?

It's all a mystery to me, I thought it would be easier on dating sites but nope, seems as complicated as in RL

Ah s***e Dovies, any numbers exchanged or social network sites or anything?

It's all a mystery to me, I thought it would be easier on dating sites but nope, seems as complicated as in RL

Nope nothing! And his last message was nothing unusual. He literally only signed up the day he mailed me! Men eh! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

Dovies wrote: »
    Nope nothing! And his last message was nothing unusual. He literally only signed up the day he mailed me! Men eh! :confused:
    I know!! If we could understand them, and they could understand us, the world would be a better place. I came across a bloke my friend was seeing on POF before. Obviously told her and she ripped him a new one. His profile was gone next time I checked :P That could be one reason, although there are dozens more.

awec wrote: »
    I honestly think it's more difficult than real life.

Cant remember that far back lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Very strange (and annoying). I can imagine someone attached setting up a profile as an ego boost (and suddenly closing it if the partner got wind), but they would hardly put up photos!

I honestly think it's more difficult than real life.

Definitely as in terms of rejection. If we had to go through say 5 of those on a night out we'd completely lose the will :o

• Advertisement

hollypink wrote: »
    Very strange (and annoying). I can imagine someone attached setting up a profile as an ego boost (and suddenly closing it if the partner got wind), but they would hardly put up photos!

The one my friend was seeing had his pic up, that's how I copped him. Some men have more balls of steel :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

The one my friend was seeing had his pic up, that's how I copped him. Some men have more balls of steel :cool:
    I'd consider that less "balls of steel" and more "complete moron" tbh!

Even aside from that, it's hard to convey tone in text. I mean it's a lot harder to write something funny than it is to say something funny to someone, because you are actually there in person!

And it's harder to read the tone of what people are saying to you!

Which leads to all this guessing of "what did he/she mean by that" etc etc.

Far more difficult in my book, which sucks, because real life is bloody hard as well! :pac:

Completely agree, I have a bit of a warped sense of humour, and it really does not translate well through text.

hollypink wrote: »
    I'd consider that less "balls of steel" and more "complete moron" tbh!
    No you're right, he's a complete knob jockey

My theory on that is surely they would use pics of better looking blokes! :D:D

My theory on that is surely they would use pics of better looking blokes! :D:D

If they had any sense, and he had down 'looking for a relationship' boy was my friend maaaaaad :rolleyes:
    I hear ya!

I've written messages and on re-read thought "woops, better change that because that definitely won't come across as I mean it". :pac:

Ha I've done that too. Saves the having to explain myself after the inevitable :confused: response.

There's nothing more annoying that exchanging mails with someone for a few hours (especially after they made first contact), getting on quite well and then, the next day, their not replying.

There's nothing more annoying that exchanging mails with someone for a few hours (especially after they made first contact), getting on quite well and then, the next day, their not replying.

I know, it's like cheers for that, I passed the time for you when you were bored :mad:

• Advertisement

Their loss though, right?

Spot on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

That's only a saying to make people feel better, it could very well be your loss. :P

Samich wrote: »
    That's only a saying to make people feel better, it could very well be your loss. :P

Well, considering how fickle-minded it comes across, I would see it as being their loss and my dodging a bullet.

Bl**dy men!! :( (yeah and women too I know)

Been chatting to one guy for about a week - he had just signed up. Great messages, loads in common, had pics up etc. Logged on today and his profile has been deleted - what gives:confused:

And seemingly its my loss because I wouldnt meet someone with no pic! Seriously folks Im really considering joining a convent!! :rolleyes:

Any chance the pics were fake and someone reported him and account got deleted?

Well, considering how fickle-minded it comes across, I would see it as being their loss and my dodging a bullet.

But she'll get chatting to someone like you did to her and they'll get on great too and it'll be his gain. So really it's only your loss if you lose out :P

Like if the most perfect woman in the world rejected you would it be still your loss? :P Not talking about you, just in general :)

Any chance the pics were fake and someone reported him and account got deleted?

I think most sites would just deleted the offending photos rather than deleting the account, unless they were in breach of some laws.

I think most sites would just deleted the offending photos rather than deleting the account, unless they were in breach of some laws.

I'm sure fake profiles are against pof rules?

You know I'm not actually sure. Can't seem to find the rules.

• Advertisement

They would be against the rules alright, but that wouldn't stop some people getting around that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement