Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I uncharacteristically asked a girl out on the second night of chatting last night. Figured things were going well and I couldn't be bothered with the usual several weeks/months back and forth so went and asked her out.

She said no but we've exchanged numbers anyway.

I find it hard trying to figure out when the right time to ask someone is.

I don't know what the right length of time is. The guy I met today asked for my number after a few messages and (as my number is like an std - most people have had it at some time or another) I gave it to him. We exchanged texts during the day, he rang me that evening and asked me out at the end of the call. With him that pace worked. I am not looking for a penpal ;) I made the first contact with him BTW

I suspect I rule myself out of the "married men looking for fast and easy" by being listed as separated with children. Any guy has to be willing to deal with the fact that I have kids that live with me and the impact on organising things that that brings. That's fine with me :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

tripe man wrote: »
    If you're an average looking male, online dating in this country seems useless. There's 10 guys fro every 1 girl, ..... Has anyone any tips for how an average guy can meet a girl online?

Wait till you are 40, when the balance tips the other way. There's about 10 times as many women on OKC as men in the 40-50 age group. Most of the men are looking for women aged 25-35 of course.

It's an interesting experience to change your search criteria to the opposite sex now and again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Membership of www.sickofinternetdating.com is rocketing I just thought I should let everyone know! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

What do you have in your profile that attracts these loons? :D

I have no idea, but if any of the Boardsies who know my POF username would like to enlighten me, I'm all ears!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I have no idea, but if any of the Boardsies who know my POF username would like to enlighten me, I'm all ears!

Are you sure you don't have the Looking For field set to "Intimate Encounter" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Did you say you like to play knifey spooney on your profile?

That would encourage some, after all, spooning does lead to forking :pac:

Samich wrote: »
    Did you say you like to play knifey spooney on your profile?

That would encourage some, after all, spooning does lead to forking :pac:

What the fork are you suggesting?? :P

Btw, you can block certain people from contacting you. I imagine some of these guys have emailed girls who are looking for Intimate Encounters. You can set up your mail so it automatically blocks anyone who has emailed someone looking for an Intimate Encounter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

G-Money wrote: »
    What the fork are you suggesting?? :P

Fork it I said anything at all ;)

• Advertisement

Samich wrote: »
    Forkget I said anything at all ;)

Fixed your post there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Btw, you can block certain people from contacting you. I imagine some of these guys have emailed girls who are looking for Intimate Encounters. You can set up your mail so it automatically blocks anyone who has emailed someone looking for an Intimate Encounter.

I've never understood how that block thing works tbh - can you report people who send "hey sexci wanna roide?" or something? :confused:

I can??? I owe you a pint, dude...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

See I don't miss this online dating lark at all :) I keep lurking here, like to hear other people's woes! :P

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I've never understood how that block thing works tbh - can you report people who send "hey sexci wanna roide?" or something? :confused:

Not sure about that, I'm guessing there's some sort of block feature for mails that make it through, but I think you can only block them after you've been mailed by them.

The intimate encounter block thing just prevents anyone mailing you at all if they have already mailed someone else who is looking an intimate encounter. I think you need to go to "Mail settings" and it's listed there along with other options like where you say you are looking for someone in a certain age bracket, location and specify you don't want someone who does drugs etc. I think you can set it up to specify people who are not married, but then I guess there's nothing to stop someone creating a profile saying they are single when they aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Just ignore the messages you don't want. Or block them once you've received a message they send you that you don't want to risk receiving again. Easy peasy.

I can??? I owe you a pint, dude...

Aye. When I was on POF I switched that on to stop girls mailing me if they had contacted some guy just looking for a ride etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

My standards are not high. I've message countless obese women, but even they ignore me! Has anyone any tips for how an average guy can meet a girl online?

It sounds like to me that you just want a woman and any type of woman will do, women can sense this a mile off which is probably why they are not replying to you. Go for women that you are attracted to or drawn to for their personality.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Wait till you are 40, when the balance tips the other way. There's about 10 times as many women on OKC as men in the 40-50 age group. Most of the men are looking for women aged 25-35 of course.

And elsewhere, I definately find it much harder to meet someone as I get older. Even getting mails is difficult / replies. I don't get swamped by dozens of mails each day and I've noticed a number of men my age want younger women.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

I'm liking this thread today

Www.sickofinternetdating.com sounds pretty awesome right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

managerman wrote: »
    I'm liking this thread today

Www.sickofinternetdating.com sounds pretty awesome right now!

I agree.. sounds like it might be the future for me too.

Turns out the fab guy I met on OKC and was seeing for the last 3 months was not so fab and playing the field all the time :mad:. I had disabled my profile and understood he had done the same. I guess he counted on me not checking and he even had the neck to use pics I took of him on a weekend away together on his profile.

I have been keeping an eye on the thread but I don't think I have the stomach to face into internet dating again.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Just got this:

'hello how r u? i have read u r profile thoroughly. i have seen u r photos and i liked
    it very much i think we are good match and u r the girl which i am in search from the
    long time.please contact me i want a long relation'

I've deleted his name to save his dignity!:p I have no photos on public so dunno how he hacked into see them! :eek: :rolleyes:
    The sad thing is he is the only person to message me this evening, times are bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JimBob777

newbee22 wrote: »
    Just got this:

'hello how r u? i have read u r profile thoroughly. i have seen u r photos and i liked
    it very much i think we are good match and u r the girl which i am in search from the
    long time.please contact me i want a long relation'

I've deleted his name to save his dignity!:p I have no photos on public so dunno how he hacked into see them! :eek: :rolleyes:
    The sad thing is he is the only person to message me this evening, times are bad!

well goddamit,...... if you cant reply to a true romantic like that....theres no hope for the rest of us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

ladylost wrote: »
    I agree.. sounds like it might be the future for me too.

Turns out the fab guy I met on OKC and was seeing for the last 3 months was not so fab and playing the field all the time :mad:. I had disabled my profile and understood he had done the same. I guess he counted on me not checking and he even had the neck to use pics I took of him on a weekend away together on his profile.

I have been keeping an eye on the thread but I don't think I have the stomach to face into internet dating again.:confused:

How awful. Sorry to hear that. :(

Come to Beers tomorrow night!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Larianne wrote: »
    How awful. Sorry to hear that. :(

Come to Beers tomorrow night!! :)

Thanks Larianne.. unfortunately I'm not in Dublin so can't make the beers. Enjoy it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Eugh, internet dating is so disheartening.

Any messages I've received are either from guys who have no pictures or the guys are serious party animals. One guy even had red hair :eek:

Not sure how long I'll last with it. I'm still pining for the guy I met in October, ended after six weeks; so my heart really isn't in it anyway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JimBob777

Any messages I've received are either from guys who have no pictures or the guys are serious party animals. One guy even had red hair :eek:

Not sure how long I'll last with it. I'm still pining for the guy I met in October, ended after six weeks; so my heart really isn't in it anyway :(

Red Hair :eek: good god what a tragedy hah..i actually have a thing for the redheads,not the guys though :pac:
    October and only 6 weeks? must have been quite the charmer :D ..you probably mentioned on here sometime before but what happened?

• Advertisement

One guy even had red hair :eek:

And? The hottest guy I saw by far on Saturday night had red hair. He was smokin'. Only my sister put the moves on him first I'd have totally been like "How you doin'?"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement