Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Larianne wrote: »
    For anyone who uses POF, do you read the little 'advice' piece when you log out?

Log off??? :confused:

I haven't clicked log off on anything in years. :pac:
    I read one last night (i dunno if they change every so often) and it said how you should go on at least 6 dates with the one guy before making your mind up. :eek:

I get what they were saying as regards to not making your mind up straight away about someone but I think 6 dates is a waste of time. I've gone on 3-4 dates with guys who I didn't feel any spark with as my friends told me I was too dismissive about. So I said right I'll give this way a go.. Went nowhere and ended up not being nice where I had to say "thanks, but no thanks" to guys who thought it was going somewhere. :o Or is this the whole point of dating? Maybe I'm not doing it right.

Hmmm, suppose it all depends on how long the amount of time would be between dates. If it's a once a week thing, 6 dates, that's a month and a half and is more then enough time to have made up your mind long before then. If it was 6 dates within 2 / 3 weeks that would also give the impression that there's an eagerness about it more so then getting a gist of things.

I'd of thought people would know something of interest was going on after about 2 / 3 dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Pembily wrote: »
    Eh no, you do know after a few dates, after 6 someone has feelings and will get hurt... Not the point of dating IMO!

I'd of thought people would know something of interest was going on after about 2 / 3 dates.

Yeah that's what I thought. The advice is a load of crap! :cool:

See what you're missing out on Drav when you don't log out!

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Yeah that's what I thought. The advice is a load of crap! :cool:

See what you're missing out on Drav when you don't log out!

I just want to bump myself up on the results pages when people search by "Online Recently" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I just want to bump myself up on the results pages when people search by "Online Recently" ;)

It works, I helped my room mate setup her profile the other night and every single page she went to had your sexy mug floating in the potential matches section.

I even put in a good word about your magic hips. ;)

• Advertisement

Maguined wrote: »
    It works, I helped my room mate setup her profile the other night and every single page she went to had your sexy mug floating in the potential matches section.

I even put in a good word about your magic hips. ;)

Haha, cool man.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Do some people have standard generic messages they have ready to send to profiles they're interested in?

I'd just be a bit suspicious about getting a lengthy message from someone about what themselves and their interests, with no reference to anything I've mentioned in my profile.

Do some people have standard generic messages they have ready to send to profiles they're interested in?

I'd just be a bit suspicious about getting a lengthy message from someone about what themselves and their interests, with no reference to anything I've mentioned in my profile.

Ah you got a copy and paster! Only ever replied to one of those. Well two actually. One was very funny so I said I'd give him a go. The other, I just let him know he'd been rumbled as a copy and paster! :D

I generally message about what's in their profile and try to associate with anything I find interesting.

If I'm going to write a big speil about myself, it'll be in my profile.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I have received a funny message from someone already but want to wait until I'm at home to check his profile.

/paranoid

Another noob question - do you reply to all your messages or only ones you're interested in?

• Advertisement

Another noob question - do you reply to all your messages or only ones you're interested in?

Ah, this question has been debated a lot on this thread. Ultimately it's up to yourself. Some people would like a "Thanks but no thanks" reply to their mails they send out, others perfer not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Ooh I love noobies!! Fresh meat lol
    Opinions vary on this. Be polite and say thanks but we arent a match or ignore - up to you really. The polite version is obviously the nicer way to go but it can lead to 'why?' - 'Stuck up b**ch' etc etc so be prepared!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I have received a funny message from someone already but want to wait until I'm at home to check his profile.

/paranoid

It depends, if they seem genuine and made an effort to mail you a decent message then yes i would always reply even if im not interested.

But if its just "Hi" or "How r u?" then no, i dont reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'd be the same, if someone read my profile and actually took a bit of time to mail me I would reply. One liners or hi or anything like that I wouldn't take the time to reply to. If they didn't make any effort then why should you?

On another note, have any men here got messages from female perverts? It's seems a lot of the women in this forum have from men.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

For anyone who uses POF, do you read the little 'advice' piece when you log out? I read one last night (i dunno if they change every so often) and it said how you should go on at least 6 dates with the one guy before making your mind up. :eek:

As a guy some of the tips they give you seem off. One says 'try to make contact with her every day;. Sounds clingy to me.
    Then they have a list of things to mail about and not to mail about. On the 'not' list one of the mail things was sci-fi. I think thats based on old stereotypes considering mos girls I've back n' forth mailed seemed quite interested to talk about sc-fi. Much better than feigning interest in clothes and makeup which most girls wont want to talk to some lad about IMO.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

A girl just mailed me....wants to fulfill my fantasies, pity I don't want another women to do that! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

newbee22 wrote: »
    A girl just mailed me....wants to fulfill my fantasies, pity I don't want another women to do that! :p

A lot of confident people on POF!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Galvasean wrote: »
    As a guy some of the tips they give you seem off. One says 'try to make contact with her every day;. Sounds clingy to me.
    Then they have a list of things to mail about and not to mail about. On the 'not' list one of the mail things was sci-fi. I think thats based on old stereotypes considering mos girls I've back n' forth mailed seemed quite interested to talk about sc-fi. Much better than feigning interest in clothes and makeup which most girls wont want to talk to some lad about IMO.

I think all those dating 'tips' are a bit stupid. They always tell you not to mention religion or politics on a first date,which is ridiculous. Your political or religious persuasion can be a big part of who you are and what makes you tick. I couldn't date anyone very religious or right wing, so best to just find out on the first date.
    I think best thing to do is be true to yourself.If your into sci-fi then be out and proud about it.Certainly wouldn't put me off anyway!

Just got this message on okcupid:
    Hi Miss
    Hows you today
    I'm looking to be made a cuckold
    Id do your housework,pamper you and cook for you
    I hope this pleases you Miss xx

Whats a cuckold?Never heared that before.I do like the sound of the free cleaning and cooking for life though!Seriously, do women actually respond to these type of messages???

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

How often do guys get messages from girls?
    And more to the point ones from girls who arent crazy?

Just wondering would you generally be used to being the one sending the mails?Or would a girl mailing you 1st be common enough?

I am such a newbie to this craic! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Just wondering would you generally be used to being the one sending the mails?Or would a girl mailing you 1st be common enough?

Nope for me a girl messaging first never happens, only happened about 3 times ever.

Even if I didn't like the girl I'd be flattered to get a message first I'd reply back. I think alot of girls don't message first in case they don't get a reply. I think most fellas would reply either way.

Also a cuckhold is when you watch your partner with someone else. I read that.....somewhere. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

I've messaged a few boys and got no reply *sniff* :(
    ah well....I'll let the boys come find me.....eh, I hope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I've seen a few guys I want to write to but I'm just too nervous! Actually had written a message to one, but clicked out of POF, guess it's just the fear of not getting a reply. I will be brave one day:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I've seen a few guys I want to write to but I'm just too nervous! Actually had written a message to one, but clicked out of POF, guess it's just the fear of not getting a reply. I will be brave one day:o
    Just message, it won't kill you! Give it a shot, it's fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

panda100 wrote: »
    I think all those dating 'tips' are a bit stupid. They always tell you not to mention religion or politics on a first date,which is ridiculous. Your political or religious persuasion can be a big part of who you are and what makes you tick. I couldn't date anyone very religious or right wing, so best to just find out on the first date.
    I think best thing to do is be true to yourself.If your into sci-fi then be out and proud about it.Certainly wouldn't put me off anyway!

Hi Miss
    Hows you today

Whats a cuckold?Never heared that before.I do like the sound of the free cleaning and cooking for life though!Seriously, do women actually respond to these type of messages???

A cuckold is basically someone that is married being "serviced" by a third party while the other person watches in secret.

He sounds like a keeper tbh.

:pac:

I get as many first mails as first mails I send.The problem is that the over whelming majority of them consist of "hi,how are you" or "how was your weekend"

Im at the stage that I just delete the messages when I get em like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

They're advertising now on TV, like eHarmony and the rest. Expect an influx of noobs :pac:

Hi Miss
    Hows you today

What he's described isn't a cuckold. It's a kind of swinger thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

Owen wrote: »
    They're advertising now on TV, like eHarmony and the rest. Expect an influx of noobs :pac:
    We needs moarrr fish!
    I've seen a few guys I want to write to but I'm just too nervous! Actually had written a message to one, but clicked out of POF, guess it's just the fear of not getting a reply. I will be brave one day
    Just mail them!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

I find that when I use POF, I message girls and barely receive any responses but on OK Cupid, I get the messages first and I barely use the site, sometimes going for weeks without realising I still have a profile on it. Go figure!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Cuckold is an old term that comes from Middle English for a man with an unfaithful wife. It was never meant as a complimentary term.

So I think he needs to brush up on his medieval literature. Tell him to read some Chaucer :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement