Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

That_Guy wrote: »
    That's why you have to prepare back up questions.

"What's your favourite humming noise?"

I had back up questions! But it was all monotonous, one word answers. Through text, he was fine. Chatty, friendly, funny.

Oh well, another one bites the dust!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I had back up questions! But it was all monotonous, one word answers. Through text, he was fine. Chatty, friendly, funny.

Oh well, another one bites the dust!
    Ah, but who was actually writing the texts? help from friends? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

missbelle wrote: »
    Ah, but who was actually writing the texts? help from friends? :D

his Mom ;)

No update on my ventures unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Sent a mail today. I feel vindicated in a "I did something constructive today" kind of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

missbelle wrote: »
    Had a nice 1st date with a guy last night... he's not my usual type, but we seemed to get on pretty well. See what happens anyway :D
    That's why you have to prepare back up questions.

"What's your favourite humming noise?"

TG... That's a good one. I had the fish & the alien one :)

I was worried that it was his best mate doing the texting and that I'd have an easier conversation with dishwater ;)

PaleoGuy... Good for you being proactive today :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

LoTwan wrote: »
    TG... That's a good one. I had the fish & the alien one :)

I lied. I don't have back up questions. I just talk utter bollocks and hope she doesn't get bored by it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I really am not sure what I am doing wrong... Online dating confuses me more than real life dating :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭SEEMagazine

Had a breakfast date, as the dude was working from 12. SO not my type. I'm not talking looks wise either. Lasted a little over 2 hours and was excruciating. Poor guy was either really aloof and cold or crippingly shy. I'm really shy but made some effort. All one word answers from him, no questions asked in return, and he looked like he hadn't shaved in 2 days.

Got a text from him after we parted ways 'was lovely meeting you, I'd love to do it again. Was going to kiss you but didn't know how you'd react.'

That text probably contained more words than he said through the whole 2 hour date.

ahahaha, so much fun.

Bleh! Replied, but then I realised I'd replied as a guest (not on my usual computer).

Ok. Same as my first, hidden, reply (which the mods can delete) - this sounds like he was terrified. If a man had a date with a quiet girl, and she wasn't obviously looking to get out of there, we'd put it down to nerves.

This guy could well be under huge amounts of stress - which can result in silent brooding. If this silence is the only reason you weren't happy with the date then you surely owe it to yourself to find out what he's really like? Clearly he found you attractive...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Pembily wrote: »
    I really am not sure what I am doing wrong... Online dating confuses me more than real life dating :pac:

Problem solved!!!

Well that's my problem, I was looking for guys!

***trots off to rejig profile to find women :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

I'll be totally honest here.
    Online dating is like learning a trade.
    When I first started online dating I was a typical man,like a kid in a sweet shop.
    I never read the label, I went for what looked nice.

So I have had a few flings over the last few year's but I'm starting to know what kind of woman suits me.

But now I read the profiles and am totally honest on what in into and looking for.
    I don't bull**** or or manipulate I just say it as it is.

Women prefer honesty and from what I hear the normal down to earth women are having more fun and dates than the stunners.

Oh I don't know LOL

Bleh! Replied, but then I realised I'd replied as a guest (not on my usual computer).

Ok. Same as my first, hidden, reply (which the mods can delete) - this sounds like he was terrified. If a man had a date with a quiet girl, and she wasn't obviously looking to get out of there, we'd put it down to nerves.

This guy could well be under huge amounts of stress - which can result in silent brooding. If this silence is the only reason you weren't happy with the date then you surely owe it to yourself to find out what he's really like? Clearly he found you attractive...

Yeah, he finds me attractive from the 'I wanted to kiss you' text I received afterwards, but at the end of the day, I'm not going to work that hard to get to know someone after one date. I mean, if he'd told me he was shy or something, I'd have understood it, but it was like pulling teeth! And he told me previously when I warned him that I was shy, that he was outgoing! That is not outgoing!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

I know! Usually I'M the shy one! But oh my god. 'What sort of work do you do in your company, do you like it?' 'Yeah. It's fine.' Big silence.

Eek!

Father Stone anyone? That sounds painful. I'm shy myself at times but I still manage to keep a conversation going by asking questions. If I had a date with someone like that though I don't know what I'd do :/

Hmm.

Someone I had feelings for, for quite a while, who I met online about 5 years ago (we've never dated but have hung out lots) has just admitted he has feelings for me again (we fell out a few months back over me doing something stupid).

So I guess it might soon be an end to POF for me depending on how this goes! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Hmm.

Someone I had feelings for, for quite a while, who I met online about 5 years ago (we've never dated but have hung out lots) has just admitted he has feelings for me again (we fell out a few months back over me doing something stupid).

So I guess it might soon be an end to POF for me depending on how this goes! :D

:):):) Delighted for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

All,

Wondering can any of the girls (ladies) out there rate (any offer tips on) my into message format. This is the standard template I use but obviously customize it dependant on the person - their interests etc.

Not getting much responses so am wondering is it something Im doing wrong :confused::confused:

Hi there

Not sure what I'm suppose to say here but I opened up your profile and you definitely seemed interesting and a lot of fun, so said I'd say hello.

(insert customized paragraph focused on the girls interest, likes etc)

Definitely think we could have plenty of things in common, so feel free to write back, I love it when I get mail :)

--- (my name)

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    All,

Wondering can any of the girls (ladies) out there rate (any offer tips on) my into message format. This is the standard template I use but obviously customize it dependant on the person - their interests etc.

Not getting much responses so am wondering is it something Im doing wrong :confused::confused:

Hi there

Not sure what I'm suppose to say here but I opened up your profile and you definitely seemed interesting and a lot of fun, so said I'd say hello.

DefinitelyI think we could have plenty of things in common, so feel free to write back I love it when I get mail :)

--- (my name)

Starting the email on a negative is not good, also saying you don't know what to say means you are unsure and not confident. My suggestions above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

had a date to day lasted around 45 minutes nice, girl...
    Went well, two things have come to pass recently Im kinda happy single...
    How ever going on dates and meet new people is fun and something i should be doing.. Im not playing any body but Im not in a hurry either...

So thumbs up today.. Id rather not talk about something unless it happens I had a few other dates too ov er the past few weeks they were all ok.. One or too I could see developing into something platonic maybe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Busy Lizzie

Pembily wrote: »
    crapmanjoe wrote: »
    All,

Hi there

DefinitelyI think we could have plenty of things in common, so feel free to write back I love it when I get mail :)

--- (my name)

Starting the email on a negative is not good, also saying you don't know what to say means you are unsure and not confident. My suggestions above.

I'd agree with Pembily. :) I'd reply to that message of I got it!
    No one should put anything negative in their profiles. It's kinda off putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Totally agree with negatives in profiles being off putting, you're meant to be hightlighting your good points in them! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

newbee22 wrote: »
    Totally agree with negatives in profiles being off putting, you're meant to be hightlighting your good points in them! :rolleyes:

but i think people say took much try over kill there profile I think leaving hints and the way you work your profile up is important to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Snowie wrote: »
    had a date to day lasted around 45 minutes nice, girl...
    Went well, two things have come to pass recently Im kinda happy single...
    How ever going on dates and meet new people is fun and something i should be doing.. Im not playing any body but Im not in a hurry either...

So thumbs up today.. Id rather not talk about something unless it happens I had a few other dates too ov er the past few weeks they were all ok.. One or too I could see developing into something platonic maybe :)

Why did it only last 45 mins? I think I would take that as a sign it went very badly.

mood wrote: »
    Why did it only last 45 mins? I think I would take that as a sign it went very badly.

OOoooo a cynic? are your going to make us all feel awful? :p

Snowie wrote: »
    OOoooo a cynic? are your going to make us all feel awful? :)

I would honestly feel 45 mins meant it went badly (unless there was a good reason why). I've had internet dates that lasted 6 hours! But I go for a drink rather than the coffee option.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

any mid week dates ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

I would honestly feel 45 mins meant it went badly (unless there was a good reason why). I've had internet dates that lasted 6 hours! But I go for a drink rather than the coffee option.

45 minutes is ok for a first meetup I think, quick chat to make sure they ain't a crazy is always nice. :)

45 minutes is ok for a first meetup I think, quick chat to make sure they ain't a crazy is always nice. :)

I know what you mean but personally prefer to go for drink. That way if you are getting on you can spend longer chatting and getting to know each other.

I know it went well i text her and she said it was shame it could be longer so i dint reply I rang her and explained she was cool and she was very coy and said shed have to think about it but her tone was complete sarcasm...:) she said she call during the week.. sound..

I don't spend hours sitting with some one I'v never meet before idrather spend 45 minutes see if we can communicate and go from there, and I never put all my eggs in one basket.. they came into my life quickly if they leave o well :)

thank you thats exactly it and if you get on go from there way more relaxed :)

• Advertisement

I know what you mean but personally prefer to go for drink. That way if you are getting on you can spend longer chatting and getting to know each other.

Thats the issue I've gone one countless amounts of dates that have been 3 hours... They never went any were since i started being really strict on time for a first date Ive found I've gotten 2nd and 3rd dates and they've been more interesting as well..

having said that if i feel a connection with the person and it feels good its a completely different story... :)But that don't happen all that often...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement