Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    Any one else find it really annoying that after you goto the effort of messaging people they don't even view your profile.:mad:

Like not responding is fine, that I get. But you message someone and they dont even click on your profile :confused:

If you not in the age group / location that they specify they would prefer then fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

I've a theory on why women get so many weird messages on these sites. I think men mostly send ridiculous message out of sheer boredom/frustration that manifests from the lack of interest in the genuine messages that they send.

An example of this would be a guy picking his top 25 profiles and sending personalized messages to all of them. He gets 2 replies. After a few days of chatting 1 deletes her profile and the other 1 goes cold and stops chatting to him. He obviously gets disillusioned very quickly and goes into defensive/cheeky mode to save face and starts to send ridiculous messages to women for the craic.

Okay that's a very simplistic example but what's the ratio of messages received for men and women on these sites? I'd say that it's so lopsided in favor of women that it's total ridiculous. It's a lose/lose situation for most men on this sites because it's pretty much like eBay for women. Women blank men, men get pissed off and start messing around sending 'funny' messages, women then getting annoyed at these messages and start to blank genuine users so everyone suffers in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Phat Cat wrote: »
    I've a theory on why women get so many weird messages on these sites. I think men mostly send ridiculous message out of sheer boredom/frustration that manifests from the lack of interest in the genuine messages that they send.

An example of this would be a guy picking his top 25 profiles and sending personalized messages to all of them. He gets 2 replies. After a few days of chatting 1 deletes her profile and the other 1 goes cold and stops chatting to him. He obviously gets disillusioned very quickly and goes into defensive/cheeky mode to save face and starts to send ridiculous messages to women for the craic.

Okay that's a very simplistic example but what's the ratio of messages received for men and women on these sites? I'd say that it's so lopsided in favor of women that it's total ridiculous. It's a lose/lose situation for most men on this sites because it's pretty much like eBay for women. Women blank men, men get pissed off and start messing around sending 'funny' messages, women then getting annoyed at these messages and start to blank genuine users so everyone suffers in the long run.

That, and some people are just dicks.

Maraine wrote: »
    Hi peeps
    Just joined pof and boards today ...
    I have had about 30 messages on pof today alone ...
    At least half them should be in mental institutions ... The other half seem think I will be seduced by a pic of a spotty torso and offers to watch them have a **** on Skype ???? WTF ????
    Are these people allowed out ?

There might be a block or report button. If more people used it then these pervs would get taking off the site I'm sure.

Just a query (as have no upcoming dates to post about :():

If you were dating someone regularly from a site (POF for purpose of this example), would you be annoyed if (and at this case ye were in an exclusive relationship):

a) You had deleted your profile but heard from a friend that your partner still had theirs up

b) You went on to your friends page to check and realised they were ONLINE??

Like I am dating this girl, however we only had our 3rd date last week and it seems that there is at least a week between dates (will be even longer before our 4th if it happens :rolleyes:) so I dont think it would be unreasonable for us to continue "fishing"??:cool:

You need to have the boyfriend/girlfriend conversation. After things are official there is no excuse for someone still being on a dating site. It's basically looking to cheat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Would people really consider themselves to be a couple with someone after only 3 dates?Jaysus,I'd be headin for the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Have a first date tonight:D Have a presentation to do just before it:eek: Don't know which I'm more nervous about!

Also, I bought new boots online which I convinced myself are the key to confidence and success in both date and presentation- the fecking things have been delivered to my neighbour, who is out at work, so I probably won't get them before I go. Gah. I want to go back to bed and hide!

Would people really consider them to be a couple with someone after only 3 dates?Jaysus,I'd be headin for the hills.

Depending on how well it went, I'd probably stop signing in to POF etc. after a third date. I don't think it would be fair to demand exclusivity either, but I wouldn't be on the lookout for dates with other people.
    If that makes sense?

Semele wrote: »
    Have a first date tonight:D Have a presentation to do just before it:eek: Don't know which I'm more nervous about!

Just do the presentation to your date and come on to your lecturers.
    Simples.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Depending on how well it went, I'd probably stop signing in to POF etc. after a third date. I don't think it would be fair to demand exclusivity either, but I wouldn't be on the lookout for dates with other people.
    If that makes sense?

Good approach. I've stopped signing into my account after a couple for 1st dated that went very just to see how it all panned out. You then to know pretty quickly I think and I had been email a few other guys who would have wanted to arrange date. 2 or 3 dates with different guys in a week is just not me.

• Advertisement

mood wrote: »
    2 or 3 dates with different guys in a week is just not me.

I did that once and did not like it one bit. Found myself comparing them like some sort of SWOT analysis. Didn't feel right at all. Ended up thinking too much and not enjoying enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Galvasean wrote: »
    I did that once and did not like it one bit. Found myself comparing them like some sort of SWOT analysis. Didn't feel right at all. Ended up thinking too much and not enjoying enough.

Thought it would feel good, especially when I went on 2 separate dates in a single day (felt like Charlie Sheen/Harper from 2 and a Half Men). But instead I ended up with an empty feeling, that I was treating women like toys playing with one (not literally) and then driving out to another when I was finished!:(

So not recommended.....as others have said, get messaging one and when the date is organised, log out of the site and dont log back in until/if the date doesnt work out, or down the line if you find yourselves non-compatible!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Just got a message saying 'Kind of like the look of you'
    Insult? Compliment? Mixture of both? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

newbee22 wrote: »

Backhanded compliment if ever there was one :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

could be his way of being funny :) myself and himself joke around with 'yeah I think I like you' every so often.

I'll never understand men! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'll never understand men! :p

Ah we're not all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

mood wrote: »
    Good approach. I've stopped signing into my account after a couple for 1st dated that went very just to see how it all panned out. You then to know pretty quickly I think and I had been email a few other guys who would have wanted to arrange date. 2 or 3 dates with different guys in a week is just not me.

I stopped logging in after meeting this guy at the weekend. To be honest I can't juggle texting/messaging/phone calls with multiple guys. I get confused and it stresses me. With this guy there is in the region of 150 texts back and forth a day and a few phone calls... with work and 2 small children I have no time to say hello to anyone else, let alone trawl dating sites LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Northclare wrote: »
    I joined that plentyoffish site.

If you find it hard to approach people the easiest way to get anyone's attention is go into the meet me page and just click away on the y button that's if you find them attractive of course.
    I clicked the y a few times by mistake but if I get mail I'll ans because I think it's rude not to especially when someone goes to the effort of contacting me.

Although women I hear have better opening lines than the men.

I heard a few strange openers and these guy's have their face pic up and all.
    Oh well it takes all sorts I'm still single so.I have no grounds to judge anyone else...

I've been doing the same thing since I joined the site, but none of the girls that I clicked have ever messaged me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I've been doing the same thing since I joined the site, but none of the girls that I clicked have ever messaged me.

well according to the people on this thread, they're probably expecting you to message them if you clicked yes on meet me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

well according to the people on this thread, they're probably expecting you to message them if you clicked yes on meet me :)

I've sent messages.

I'm scared! :
    ' Hi Miss ____ - You have a gorgeous pic and an interesting profile too..... Anyway, I'm looking for something very particular (NOT SEX) but it is something a bit different, so if you're open-minded, relaxed and not shy then please get back to me and I'll give you all the details'

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

If you use 'Mental Mickey' as your user name it might put some girls off :P

I'm scared! :
    ' Hi Miss ____ - You have a gorgeous pic and an interesting profile too..... Anyway, I'm looking for something very particular (NOT SEX) but it is something a bit different, so if you're open-minded, relaxed and not shy then please get back to me and I'll give you all the details'

I'm dying to know what he wants!

I'm too scared to find out! I can pm you username if you want and you can find out for us all?!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I'm scared! :

You girls get all the fun messages. I would respond to loads of these just for the craic but alas no crazy mails for me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

Maguined wrote: »
    You girls get all the fun messages. I would respond to loads of these just for the craic but alas no crazy mails for me. :(

PM me your POF user name and I will send you some crazy bat**** messages :)

I would reply to that message too. Curiosity would get the better of me :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dolly Daydreams

We should have a 'group pm' option where we can WARN each other about the loons/time wasters/fake profiles we come across :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Every bloody person that messages me is a boardsie, lol.

Also, got some more weird messages, but also got a lot of normal, interesting, funny ones. As soon as I decide not to make any more effort with the sites because I'm interested in someone (who things probably won't work out with, LOL), I get nice, normal messages and asked on two dates.

Fml. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Got this in my CS inbox a minute ago, from a 49 year old man -

'wasent it you that was in the matrix rememember the good lookin yon moroh sumtin.'

I've never even seen the Matrix, so I have no idea what he's talking about, hideous approximation of the English language aside.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement