Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

"I'm not small baby, I'm just really far away!"

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

Sorry for butting in here but just wondering what age people are on these kind of sites? I know you find all ages but in general is there a particular age group? Im 22 and debating about joining one but am not sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

branbee wrote: »
    Sorry for butting in here but just wondering what age people are on these kind of sites? I know you find all ages but in general is there a particular age group? Im 22 and debating about joining one but am not sure!

22 is probably the norm tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

mood wrote: »
    I was going to start using it. Don't think I will now. Does Whatsapp do the same?

Nope, don't think it happens on Whatsapp - when I txt on Viber I always make sure I don't tick the little arrow ;)
    Larianne wrote: »
    Win-lose situation. If they don't lie they don't get the dates, if they do lie, they probably won't get a second date.

If you're not completely shallow, and meet up with someone on a first date that's shorter than they claimed at least they have the opportunity to win you over with their personality/looks etc.
    That said, I don't message guys back who are listed as 5 ft6, as I do prefer taller guys - yes I'm a lil shallow :D

branbee wrote: »

I'd say older to be honest.. around late 20s, early 30s? maybe that's because late 20s is the age range that I'm aiming at :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

missbelle wrote: »
    Nope, don't think it happens on Whatsapp - when I txt on Viber I always make sure I don't tick the little arrow ;)

If you're not completely shallow, and meet up with someone on a first date that's shorter than they claimed at least they have the opportunity to win you over with their personality/looks etc.
    That said, I don't message guys back who are listed as 5 ft6, as I do prefer taller guys - yes I'm a lil shallow :D

Regarding Viper - does that mean your location isn't tracked?

Height won't bother me as long as the guy is taller. I'm not tall so it's not an issue.

C'mon guys, which one of ye was it that mailed me "Hi Galvasean!" and hasn't replied yet.
    So unfair :/

Galvasean wrote: »
    C'mon guys, which one of ye was it that mailed me "Hi Galvasean!" and hasn't replied yet.

How do people know if you use Boards? I know there is a thread where some of you have chosen to put a picture of yourselves. Is that how people know you?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

missbelle wrote: »

It's not being shallow. It's someone lying on their profile, deliberately.

Re height: It's also worth considering that a lot of people actually don't know how tall they actually are or are in complete denial of it. One girl I dated for ages swore she was 5'8 when it was quite obvious that she was nearly 6'. Basically she was claiming to be shorter than me whilst towering above me (sans shoes).

• Advertisement

How do people know if you use Boards? I know there is a thread where some of you have chosen to put a picture of yourselves. Is that how people know you?

Yup. I'm an internet celebrity me! :pac:

Regarding Viper - does that mean your location isn't tracked?

Height won't bother me as long as the guy is taller. I'm not tall so it's not an issue.

AFAIK, your location won't be tracked unless you tick the little arrow? I may be wrong on that, but I sure hope I'm not! Actually tend to use Whatsapp more so for txting smartphone peoples so it's not really an issue.

Regarding height, I'm 5 ft 5, so with heels I'm few inches taller and I like a guy to be around 5 ft 11, I'd be less picky about build although I like a bit of muscle too ;)

Larianne wrote: »
    It's not being shallow. It's someone lying on their profile, deliberately.

Very true actually - false pretences huh :rolleyes:
    I've been told a few times that I seem taller than I said I was - eh check the heels boys :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I hate when people lie about their height, simply because it's lying.

But I don't really care what height someone is. I'm a midget anyway (5'1 last time I checked), so everyone is taller than me, but lying about your height is just silly! I've dated people ranging from 5'3 to 6'9 and the only one that was awkward height wise was the guy that was 6'9, simply because he had to pick me up anytime we kissed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The height thing, one guy wrote on a different forum that when he had his genuine height up that he got little or no interest (5'8), when he upped it to 5'10 on a new profile, his inbox got swamped.

Owen wrote: »
    The height thing, one guy wrote on a different forum that when he had his genuine height up that he got little or no interest (5'8), when he upped it to 5'10 on a new profile, his inbox got swamped.

Actually, a guy said the same thing in here, before he was banned for being rude to people.

I'm not gonna lie, lots of women like taller men, so someone who is 5'10 will probably get more messages than someone who is 5'8 because let's face it, women want to be able to wear heels and still be shorter than their date.

But plenty of women don't care too much! Like I said, I've dated guys from 5'3 to 6'9 and it makes very little difference to me. If a woman doesn't want to date a guy that's 5'8, then the 5'8 guy should forget about her and move on to the next lady.

It's like me saying on my profile that I'm a size 10 when in reality, I'm a size 14. Sure, some men won't like that I'm not tiny, but those men obviously aren't right for me, so you move on to the ones that are.

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    If a woman doesn't want to date a guy that's 5'8, then the 5'8 guy should forget about her and move on to the next lady.

This.

The person will see you size / height when you meet anyway so why bother lying!

The person will see you size / height when you meet anyway so why bother lying!

The men lying about their height might buy moon boots?

And if a woman lies about her size, she can always buy big, sucky in underwear.

Personally, I don't get it. If you're comfortable with yourself, you won't feel a need to lie. I love being so short, and I'm comfortable with my size so wouldn't even bother with sucky in underwear, I prefer pretty underwear. :p

I presume some people lie just to get some interest, in the hopes that if a date materialises, they can convince the person to get to know them? That said, if someone lied to me about their height, I wouldn't care about their height, but would refuse a second date based on the fact that they lied, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The men lying about their height might buy moon boots?

You might scoff, but there's shoes for that. Masaltos do a concealed internal heel for the shorter dude, and a set of Simon Cowell cuban heels work too.

I notice it in real life - I don't wear any of the above, but years ago in a metal band I used to wear new rock boots on stage - would always be about 2 inches taller in them, and I'd always have girls chatting to me after the gig was done. I wear converse now which keeps my at my realy 5'8, and it's the opposite more or less. People are definitely shallow IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I lied about my height in my profile because I had to.

I also explained in the profile why I lied.

Owen wrote: »
    You might scoff, but there's shoes for that. Masaltos do a concealed internal heel for the shorter dude, and a set of Simon Cowell cuban heels work too.

I notice it in real life - I don't wear any of the above, but years ago in a metal band I used to wear new rock boots on stage - would always be about 2 inches taller in them, and I'd always have girls chatting to me after the gig was done. I wear converse now which keeps my at my realy 5'8, and it's the opposite more or less. People are definitely shallow IMHO.

I wasn't scoffing. I've been on dates where men did this.
    I dated a guy that said he was 5'6. He used to always wear New Rocks, but the stacker ones that add like 4 inches. He was in the end around an inch taller than me. Didn't bother me, but why bother lying?

If you believe that a woman is shallow for not wanting to date someone that's 5'8 (or whatever height), then why would you WANT to lie to get the attention of someone so 'shallow?'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I presume some people lie just to get some interest, in the hopes that if a date materialises, they can convince the person to get to know them?
    This,
    RE the height thing, I usually will avoid anyone of 5'10 5'11'', Add girls in heels there will be a good 2 inches higher than my in heels. I'm 5'11''. I think thats the 1st thing I look at before I look at body type!

This,
    RE the height thing, I usually will avoid anyone of 5'10 5'11'', Add girls in heels there will be a good 2 inches higher than my in heels. I'm 5'11''. I think thats the 1st thing I look at before I look at body type!

2" isn't much. u shouldn't let that put you off.

Am I the only one who doesn't really care what height someone is? :pac:

I suppose it's easier for me not to care because I'm so short that every guy I know is taller than me, even in heels. :P

I dunno. The way I see it is that I'm not perfect. I'm not some skinny, pretty girl, I'm a normal sized, average woman and happy, healthy and comfortable. So since I'm not 'perfect,' I can't really judge someone based on their height.

Actually, I'm going on a date with a guy that's 5'4 next week. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

Galvasean wrote: »

We know it wasn't me because I'm not allowed to message you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Actually, I'm going on a date with a guy that's 5'4 next week. :pac:

I'm around that height. You make it sound like a bad thing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

I will admit to the height thing. I'm 5'8 in my flats & I like a guy to be taller than me. As much as I like the idea of over 6' I usually end up with 5'10. I think it takes something special in a guy to be ok with his date being taller than him.

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm around that height. You make it sound like a bad thing. :(

:pac: Actually, if you read back, I'm the one defending short people in here, saying who even cares what height they are.

Someone else thinks women are shallow for only wanting to date tall men, and I'm saying that not all women are like that. Nothing wrong with 5'4. Still a good bit taller than me, so it's all good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

LoTwan wrote: »
    I will admit to the height thing. I'm 5'8 in my flats & I like a guy to be taller than me. As much as I like the idea of over 6' I usually end up with 5'10. I think it takes something special in a guy to be ok with his date being taller than him.

Im ok with a girl being taller than me, its just usually the girl doesn't like it. Ive had ex's that were 5'11'' but never wore heels when around me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement