Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Haven't been on in ages but I'd a weird one last week, basically I'd been chatting away with a girl on okcupid & things were going grand, we'd arranged to meet up and then suddenly she mailed me to say she already had a boyfriend and was afraid if she met some she'd cheat on him. I didn't think anything more of it and just forgot about her.
    Then today she shows up as being online so I cheekily mailed her and said something along the lines of "it's mustn't have worked out if you're back online" she then wrote back saying she likes to see how many messages she still gets!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

Gillo wrote: »
    Haven't been on in ages but I'd a weird one last week, basically I'd been chatting away with a girl on okcupid & things were going grand, we'd arranged to meet up and then suddenly she mailed me to say she already had a boyfriend and was afraid if she met some she'd cheat on him. I didn't think anything more of it and just forgot about her.
    Then today she shows up as being online so I cheekily mailed her and said something along the lines of "it's mustn't have worked out if you're back online" she then wrote back saying she likes to see how many messages she still gets!

She is Either attention seeking or setting herself up for when her relationship fails. Terrible pity that site doesn't have a name and shame facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭dub5

What is the okcupid site like? Is it as bad as POF?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

It wouldn't be much different but depends may have changed a bit since I were last on it, there aren't as many people on OkC compared to POF like there used to be. Some are looking for something serious others just a date or just fun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Semele wrote: »
    Had my first slightly bad experience yesterday (online dating, not life in general)!

I dated a guy ONCE 8 weeks ago. I initiated contact a few times the week following our date with the intention of planning another, but gave it up as a bad job when he kept avoiding actually making plans. Figured I'd leave it up to him to ask me again if he was interested, since I'd been clear I wanted to see him.

He since texts, briefly and out of the blue, roughly every 2 weeks. It gets to the point of arranging to meet-up again, I tell him when I'm free/suggest something to do...and he stops replying till the next pointless "hi, how's it going?" message!

I let him away with this crap a few times, (on the benefit of the doubt at first, then amused curiosity as to what he was playing at) then called him on it when he texted again yesterday, saying I didn't want a penpal. He said that he had "hoped" we would meet again but I wasn't being very proactive and if I wasn't interested he wouldn't bother contacting me again:confused::rolleyes:

I, in quite a friendly manner, pointed out that my attempts to actually arrange a date on multiple occasions was more proactive than his habit of cutting contact every time the subject came up and that he had never so much as asked me if I wanted to do something. I woke to an abusive reply first thing this morning callng me "batsh*t crazy" and saying he was done with me!!!

Delightful. Best of all is I'd put money on it that I'll be hearing from him again, playing whatever his sad little game is!

Do you want to hear from him again, I think you do ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Terrible pity that site doesn't have a name and shame facility.
    I sometimes wish it had that facility but probably better it doesn't. The temptation to name and shame a few guys would have been too great :mad:

dub5 wrote: »
    What is the okcupid site like? Is it as bad as POF?
    I found OKC less sleazy in that didn't get the suggestive mails but that may be because there are a lot less people on it. I like the questions thing though.. it may be a load of rubbish but at least I felt they were basing matches off something. No idea how POF come up with your matches

ladylost wrote: »
    I found OKC less sleazy in that didn't get the suggestive mails but that may be because there are a lot less people on it. I like the questions thing though.. it may be a load of rubbish but at least I felt they were basing matches off something. No idea how POF come up with your matches

I dont think POF put much thought into the matches at all, just random people each week.

Anyone on here actually pay for POF, is there any difference, maybe it would filter out the weirdos?

POF lame,
    NO reply in 6 months,

argosy2006 wrote: »
    POF lame,
    NO reply in 6 months,

wow, thats a long time.....so no messages in 6 months?

• Advertisement

wow, thats a long time.....so no messages in 6 months?
    Nope,
    Apparrently i have nothing to offer the opposite sex,

I dont think POF put much thought into the matches at all, just random people each week.

Anyone on here actually pay for POF, is there any difference, maybe it would filter out the weirdos?

A guy I met recently was a paid member and he said it wasn't really worth it. I guess you can see when someone was last online or if they read your message etc but not sure you get much more than that. Don't think it weeds out the crazies

Nope,
    have you asked anyone to review your profile... Dub5 and Armaghmagic reviewed mine for me today. Following changes based off their advice I got 4 or 5 mails today :D

Nope,

ah, now that is sad. I am sure there is someone out there. you got your picture up on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Nope,

Re-jig your profile. There's quite a few helpful posters in this thread who will take a look for you. :)
    A guy I met recently was a paid member and he said it wasn't really worth it. I guess you can see when someone was last online or if they read your message etc but not sure you get much more than that. Don't think it weeds out the crazies

Or liars. My friend was on one of the sites, Match maybe? And she said she met up with a few guys whose pictures were not recent and they were much heavier or balder than their pics. And she also had a crazy date too.

have you asked anyone to review your profile... Dub5 and Armaghmagic reviewed mine for me today. Following changes based off their advice I got 4 or 5 mails today :D

Thats brilliant, sometimes its just the simple things on someones profile that need to be edited.

Nope,

If you want, I will look at your profile for you, but be warned I am brutally honest....lol.

pm me your link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Nope,

I have no problem having a look at your profile argosy2006 if you PM me your link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Thats brilliant, sometimes its just the simple things on someones profile that need to be edited.

I didn't give much advice, could only give compliments!! Dub5 is great with the advice though! Good luck with the 5 "leads" you got today! Well done!

I didn't give much advice, could only give compliments!! Dub5 is great with the advice though! Good luck with the 5 "leads" you got today! Well done!

maybe that could be a new job for me, forget the singles night and start helping people with their profile!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Do you want to hear from him again, I think you do ?

Eh? Why would you think that? I'm not a masochist, as I said I was just wondering what his game was before with the sporadic contact. I haven't been obsessing over him or anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I've quite enjoyed reading about all your online dating experiences lately in this thread. I think I might join one of these dating sites and see what happens. Which one would you all recommend?

Thanks

I've quite enjoyed reading about all your online dating experiences lately in this thread. I think I might join one of these dating sites and see what happens. Which one would you all recommend?

Thanks

I am on POF, wierdos on it and also nice people. Think they are all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Semele wrote: »
    Oh god, yes! Will never be in touch again. I was genuinely just curious as to what his game was before. Scary thing about it is he's a doctor, so in a well-respected job with a lot of responsibility, yet is clearly a crazy, angry weirdo with a massive sense of entitlement! God knows how proactive I should have been in order to get another date out of him..? You'd think he was used to people begging for it or something!

How well do you know him?
    Are you sure he is a doctor? Did he lie and make up a profession? Did he give you his real name? His behaviour and outburst is very odd and certainly wouldn't match that of a doctor. It's too strange.

Nope asked no one to review it, I'd fear that ,
    Maybe you've seen it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Are you sure he is a doctor? Did he lie and make up a profession? Did he give you his real name? His behaviour and outburst is very odd and certainly wouldn't match that of a doctor. It's too strange.

Doctors can be weirdos too. I worked in a restaurant up until recently and some of the customers used to park outside and block the back entrance to a doctors house. He came in to the restaurant numerous times and went ballistic. He physically threatened the owner (a lady) twice and once we even had to call the police on him. He's a complete psycho!!

Nothing to fear, it may improve your chances. The offer is there if you want me to have a look at it

Maybe I have.. I'd be happy to take a look if you like.. not sure I can give any advice as I was looking for some myself :confused: PM me the link if you want me to take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Just because someone got a million points in their leaving and can study hard, doesn't mean they ain't a weirdo. I've met many 'weird' people in 'prestigious' roles.

You meet them from all walks of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭LoTwan

Larianne wrote: »

Just because someone got a million points in their leaving and can study hard, doesn't mean they ain't a weirdo. I've met many 'weird' people in 'prestigious' roles.

You meet them from all walks of life.

I got a million points in my leaving & I'm bat**** crazy! The two are not exclusive :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement