Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭dub5

FC1988 wrote: »
    eh I just jumped in the deep end and trying out POF. Any tips???

Be prepared for the nutters, be prepared for pictures of peoples bodies that you may not want to see (especially first thing in the morning before you had your brekkie), be prepared for to set aside alot of time for on line dating and most importantly enjoy it, it is a laugh but dont take it all too seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

eh I just jumped in the deep end and trying out POF. Any tips???

Best advice is not to take it too seriously. Its easy to weed out the weird people on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FC1988

ha I'll try to laugh it off. I thought it was just the ladies getting unsettling pics :P? Or should I fear for my sensibilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭dub5

ha I'll try to laugh it off. I thought it was just the ladies getting unsettling pics :P? OR should I fear for sensibilities?

Oh you should fear for your life and keep your eyes half closed when opening mail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

newbee22 wrote: »
    Hey bbz wanna chat xxxxx :p
    Seriously who actually replies to these people!
    dub5 wrote: »
    I absolutely hate when guys mail me and call me "hun", really annoys me!!
    missbelle wrote: »
    Ugh, pet hate of mine... coupled with a sentence like hi hun, howz u sxi x x :-\

I did reply to one once :o
    (In my defence, he was hawt!)

But I just wasn't bothered enough to put any effort in, so the conversation went a little like this:
    "Hay baby xxx"
    "Hi, how you doing?"
    "Not bad sxci, what bout you xxx"

....and so on. Zzzz.....

• Advertisement

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Can I ask what website/s people use ? And if you have made any genuine friends from it or is everyone on there looking romance and use friendship as a way to give them options ?

I use POF. Personally im not looking for friends as im not short on them, im short on romance though:-(
    In saying that I quite good friends with a guy I met off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

But I just wasn't bothered enough to put any effort in, so the conversation went a little like this:
    "Hay baby xxx"
    "Hi, how you doing?"

....and so on. Zzzz.....

Shame on you :-D ah yea I think I repled to one or two when I had just joined the site, but over time someone sending me a proper message with good grammar and spelling became kinda a must for me!

blacklilly wrote: »

I use POF. Personally im not looking for friends as im not short on them, im short on romance though:-(
    In saying that I quite good friends with a guy I met off it.

+1 to the above... After all it's a dating website, generally people are looking for a romantic connection!
    That said, I have made a friend off it, in that we have good banter and chat and slag each other regularly, but just never got round to meeting up in person to see if we actually fancy each other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭I_am_LOST

I shall be taking a break from online dating while I'm off to the States. Might bring myself home an American boy :D

Best of luck to y'all with the dating :pac:

Actually, I had an absolute disaster of a date a while back (he didn't seem to think it was such a car crash though :o ). Anyway, I got a call from him at a painfully early hour this morning, but the signal was borked so I then got some very charming texts....
    I got disconnected who is this?? Cuz for some reason you are saved on my iPhone as sweetner and must do list ;) so if u dont mind me asking??
    Have we meet or had any chemistry if not let's have the sparks fly tonight cinema or anything u like

...And I then rolled around laughing insanely for about 10 minutes. I can't work out what's funniest, him asking me to the cinema despite not knowing/claiming to not know who I am, having my name saved as "sweetner", or wanting to "let the sparks fly". Or being on a must do list....

Anyone got any good ideas for a reply? I just keep sniggering every time I look at my phone :pac:

• Advertisement

"Hay baby xxx"
    "Hi, how you doing?"

....and so on. Zzzz.....

Shame on you :-D ah yea I think I repled to one or two when I had just joined the site, but over time someone sending me a proper message with good grammar and spelling became kinda a must for me!

Maybe it's just me but I can't stand when someone says:
    "how's you"

Or is overly complimentary in regards to your picture, its only there so you know what I look like. If someones e-mailed me im guessing they like the look if me.

"you look nice" is fine but "wow you are so beautiful" etc which you know is copied and pasted, annoys me.

Im much more than my picture.

Btw the above is not meant to come across as me being arrogant(im not saying im gorgeous) but I never reply to those messages. i just think they're really fake

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

I know, I've turned into a grammar nazi! I caught myself spellchecking profiles in my head... :o

I agree with blacklilly though, I hate being called beautiful, sexy or whatever on those sites. And those are just the ones that ain't X-rated. :rolleyes:
    And I'm no stunner! It just feels very sleazy.
    I mean, if you've mailed me I'm assuming you like what you see, so TALK TO ME. :pac:

blacklilly and kamikazekitten, (can't multi quote on phone!) Agree with ye both completely! I hate someone messaging me telling me how sexy or beautiful I look and not even reading my profile! I'm not saying someone has to refer to everything I've written in my profile, but even if they just say hey,I see you're interested in ---- or I also work as ---- then I'd be more inclined to reply to them.

But hey, each to their own, obviously that approach appeals to some girls!!

blacklilly and kamikazekitten, (can't multi quote on phone!) Agree with ye both completely! I hate someone messaging me telling me how sexy or beautiful I look and not even reading my profile! I'm not saying someone has to refer to everything I've written in my profile, but even if they just say hey,I see you're interested in ---- or I also work as ---- then I'd be more inclined to reply to them.

But hey, each to their own, obviously that approach appeals to some girls!!

I'd wonder does it really - I dunno, I'd just kind of roll my eyes because tbh it just looks like a copy and paste type of message.

The litmus taste on my profile is it says I don't like iceskating or escalators, nine times out of ten messages WILL say "fancy going iceskating on an escalator? I'll hold your hand if you get scared". Bit boring at this stage but a daycent way to check. :D

I sound dreadful from this, like there's some kind of test guys have to pass to merit a reply. I'm really not! If someone's nice, not sliming all over me and a bit of craic I'll waffle away happily to them. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Actually, I had an absolute disaster of a date a while back (he didn't seem to think it was such a car crash though :o ). Anyway, I got a call from him at a painfully early hour this morning, but the signal was borked so I then got some very charming texts....

...And I then rolled around laughing insanely for about 10 minutes. I can't work out what's funniest, him asking me to the cinema despite not knowing/claiming to not know who I am, having my name saved as "sweetner", or wanting to "let the sparks fly". Or being on a must do list....

Anyone got any good ideas for a reply? I just keep sniggering every time I look at my phone :pac:

Sorry for laughing but that is really funny... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭ladylost

Adam wrote: »
    Did I just get blocked?:/ I messaged someone earlier, nothing spectacular about the message, I was just polite and so forth. Now apparently the user no longer exists? Is that the case or is there a function to block people so that it appears you deleted your profile? Harsh :(

some guy messaged me at 7pm last night and by the time I logged on today he had deleted his profile! Why did he bother sending a message I wonder. It was only the generic "hi" anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

ladylost wrote: »
    some guy messaged me at 7pm last night and by the time I logged on today he had deleted his profile! Why did he bother sending a message I wonder. It was only the generic "hi" anyway
    Yeah, I had noticed this girl plenty of times since I registered the other day, and she was online a lot, and then very shortly after my message she's gone! I don't really care, it's just a bit rude if it was just a blocking, I can handle a simple 'no thanks'!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I_am_LOST wrote: »
    I'm off to the States.
    I_am_LOST wrote: »
    Ya'all!

You'll fit right in.
    And I'm no stunner!

Modesty, definitely my favourite sin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

woot, its been six months this week since i first met my girlfriend on pof :-) we're going back to the place of first date, followed by restaurant where had our first dinner together :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

met my girlfriend 3 yrs ago on are you interested on fb....we are now married and have a 18month old son.....nothing wrong with online dating,found it a lot better than trying to talk to some one when pissed off me face...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I seem to have one girl messaging me from POF who's starting to cause alarm bells to ring. She sent me a mail originally, I checked out her profile and unsurprise, unsurprise, there was no pic. I sighed and thought "feck it, give it a chance" so I replied. Sent a few emails and she wanted to swap numbers and said she would text her pic. Slightly risky I thought but we swapped numbers, she sent her pic and it was surprisingly attractive. Then she asked me to delete it straight away which I found odd. Sent a few more texts, then she says she wants me to text her pics of me and my life. I asked her could she not see my pics on my profile. She said she could but she wanted others as some guys put up fake pics. She then said she wouldn't text me again until I sent her some pics.

Well I don't respond well to ultimatums like that so I deleted her number. A day or two later, I turned on my phone and there was a text that she sent at 1am saying "cinema tomorrow night". That was it, no question mark, nothing. I don't do the cinema as a first date and she was starting to cause some alarm bells to ring so I said I couldn't go and would call her later. She textd back that I should text her when I decide on a place and time to meet and said "cya". That made my blood boil so I just deleted her text and everything again and didn't contact her. A few days go past, I get another text about 1am that says "boo". Didn't reply to that. Then last night, about 12.30am she sent another text saying she went to some sweet shop!

I'm starting to wonder if I am going to need to change my number!

G-Money wrote: »
    I seem to have one girl messaging me from POF who's starting to cause alarm bells to ring. She sent me a mail originally, I checked out her profile and unsurprise, unsurprise, there was no pic. I sighed and thought "feck it, give it a chance" so I replied. Sent a few emails and she wanted to swap numbers and said she would text her pic. Slightly risky I thought but we swapped numbers, she sent her pic and it was surprisingly attractive. Then she asked me to delete it straight away which I found odd. Sent a few more texts, then she says she wants me to text her pics of me and my life. I asked her could she not see my pics on my profile. She said she could but she wanted others as some guys put up fake pics. She then said she wouldn't text me again until I sent her some pics.

Well I don't respond well to ultimatums like that so I deleted her number. A day or two later, I turned on my phone and there was a text that she sent at 1am saying "cinema tomorrow night". That was it, no question mark, nothing. I don't do the cinema as a first date and she was starting to cause some alarm bells to ring so I said I couldn't go and would call her later. She textd back that I should text her when I decide on a place and time to meet and said "cya". That made my blood boil so I just deleted her text and everything again and didn't contact her. A few days go past, I get another text about 1am that says "boo". Didn't reply to that. Then last night, about 12.30am she sent another text saying she went to some sweet shop!

I'm starting to wonder if I am going to need to change my number!

Just keep ignoring the messages. The same thing happened me and although there random messages went on for a while I just completely ignored them. At the same time this guy was also sending me mails on pof.
    Even the thickest, strangest people will give up after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Got messaging a girl - :D
    She seemed really nice - :D
    Conversation was going well - :D
    Decided to ask if she'd like to meet up - :)

Got this back:
    You seem like a really nice guy but to be honest, I'm kinda waiting until something better comes along

As if Monday's weren't bad enough.

:pac:

That_Guy wrote: »

Got this back:
    You seem like a really nice guy but to be honest, I'm kinda waiting until something better comes along

tell her she'll be waiting a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

blacklilly wrote: »
    Just keep ignoring the messages. The same thing happened me and although there random messages went on for a while I just completely ignored them. At the same time this guy was also sending me mails on pof.
    Even the thickest, strangest people will give up after a while.

I agree, my friend is on POF and engages in a lot of "Intimate Encounters" with lets just say, undesirables, and he changes his number more than his clothes......his head is wrecked and is constantly sending me his new number. Just ignore it, as blacklilly said, she will give up eventually when the next lad comes along!

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

That_Guy wrote: »

Got this back:

If someone sends a message that callous and cold, then it's you who deserves better mate!

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement