Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread Part II **Mod Warning** Read First Post/or Post 7389

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

Maguined wrote: »
    Overheard on Plenty Of Fish?

I would buy that.

I like how he chose to comment on the breasts without being definitely complimentary "decent sized", that's what every girl wants to hear, "you are not impressive but are above average" queue ladies swooning.

He just didnt want to be a sleaze by telling her she had big breasts, and in a sad way he probably was quite gentlemanly - not sure if thats a real word but anyways- compared to others!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Girl I was supposed to be meeting up with on Saturday just gone messaged me and said she realised that she hadn't replied back to me.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I just got this beauty of a message:
    Hey there. You're probably wondering why some random guy from the US is messaging you. Well, this may seem kinda sappy, but... here goes. My name is [removed]. I live in Mississippi in the US. I'm 29, almost 30, and single. I have my own house, my own truck (and bike), I have a job, and have no children. I'm a very laid back, fun(ny), make-you-laugh guy, but most importantly I have led a life of a romantic. I have been married before, but that went down the tubes. I've had girlfriends after that (some great, most terrible). I have always held strong, romantic beliefs. I don't lie, I don't cheat, I'm honest and affectionate, and I treat the girl I love like she's the only girl in the world. I laugh and joke and tickle and poke fun and all that, but I'm a lover through and through.

WHY am I telling you all this? Because... in April I'm taking a trip to Ireland. I'll be in the Dublin area for a whole week! Just me, all by myself. I'm going there to see the sights and take wonderful pictures. Do some traveling, just walking around wherever whenever and visiting there. But... I'm also hoping and praying sincerely that I'll find a good woman there. Maybe, just maybe, I'll find there what I can't find here: a loving, faithful, sincere, fun(ny), affectionate woman who wants a relationship, one with a good man. I know it's a long shot, because there are SO many factors that could hinder a relationship (finding someone single, someone willing to deal with a long-distance relationship, someone willing to move down to the US down the road, etc etc). But like I said, I'm a romantic, and I have to try. I'm writing you this long message because I've seen you on here and I'm interested in you. I know this is all kinda out-of-nowhere, but I assure you I have the only sweetest intentions.

If you're single, I'd love to chat with you. If you're interested, that is. If you are NOT single or NOT interested, no hard feelings. I would ask, kindly, that if you have any friends around the Dublin area who are single and have been looking for a man like me, please pass this word on. I'm looking for a good woman, and I have to do everything I can so I have no regrets. One way or another, I'd enjoy hearing back from you sometime. Thank you kindly for your time reading this, take care, and God bless.

~ [name removed]

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Definitely a copy and paste job. ;)

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

I don't know even know what to say.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Definitely a copy and paste job. ;)

:D jaded much?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Busy Lizzie

Haha so he's really interested in YOU, but also in anyone else you know who's single and is after a nice guy! Righttttt!

oh yeah definitely copy and paste. funny though. it's like look how much stuff i have, and all i've got going for me, and here's your chance to meet me! :D oh but if you're not interested let me know of anyone else in Dublin that might be. what a fool.

careymary wrote: »
    He just didnt want to be a sleaze by telling her she had big breasts, and in a sad way he probably was quite gentlemanly - not sure if thats a real word but anyways- compared to others!

Even funnier is that you can't see my breasts in any of my photos save for one where you have to focus really hard to make out the size and or shape because it's a long shot.

ps: I have small breasts. :D So, yeah, he was definitely not being complimentary. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

True romantic! :rolleyes:

That_Guy wrote: »
    Girl I was supposed to be meeting up with on Saturday just gone messaged me and said she realised that she hadn't replied back to me.

:rolleyes:

Think of the positives, at least you know for sure now!

I used to get a few Americans messaging me on POF. It's why I added in the "Must be from Ireland" on my mail settings. It's pretty much the same thing on OKCupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

The weirdest message I got from an American was about 10.30pm on a Thursday night (I know because I'd just sat down to watch Question Time...!) from some American girl who said she just wanted to say hello. She said it was her last night in Dublin, that her flight back to Washington DC was at 5am the next morning and that she'd been stood up by two guys from POF that day.

That to me sounds like a proposition. But it didn't seem to be. I suggested she get herself down to Temple Bar and enjoy her last few hours and she just replied along the lines that she was jsut going to go to bed as she'd got an early start next morning.

Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Flaker

red_diesel wrote: »
    My tuppence worth. I have tried the online dating (POF) thing the last month or so. Put some pics up, followed all the rules, pics of me smiling having fun etc. Wrote bio etc. I message all girls I was interested in. I didn't copy and paste, I wrote each individually. From maybe 30 messages i got 2 replies. Now the most annoying aspect is that most of the girls I messaged didn't even look at my profile! I'm mid 30's and messaging mainly girls between 28-34. I know I'm no ugly duckling either!

Contrast this with the bar scene. I know if I go out I will chat to some girls or at least they will give me a chance! The reason I turned to online dating is that after I broke up with my girlfriend I found all my friends settled so getting someone to go out with was hard. However I don't care any more. I'm hitting the town solo. Anything is better than the barren landscape that is POF.

What I did try and did enjoy was speed dating. For alot of people this means leaving their comfort zone and getting out and meeting real people. You have to make the effort and talk to people. I found I got way more correspondence from people I met speed dating than from POF.

I am so with you there, online dating is much harder than IRL. I'm 37 (which I reckons puts loads of guys off - they seem to think I'm looking for a husband, I'm not!!) and always get chatted up/approached by younger guys (25/26) when I'm out. That's one of the reasons I tried online dating, to meet someone around my own age. But the rejection just got too hard to take and I closed my account yesterday.

The worst offenders were guys my own age! I messaged a guy a year younger than me, he sent me an ESSAY of a reply, I messaged him again and got another essay. You'd think he was interested right? No more messages after I replied again. The message was funny (I thought) and friendly, pretty much along the lines of his messages. So I just haven't a bloody clue anymore.

I was on the site for about 3 months and I got a few dates from it, ironically from guys a wee bit younger than me, but we just weren't suited or they lived too far away or whatever. And I live in a country town so the pool of men on POF was small anyway and OKC is just ridiculous. But I think it's definately easier in the flesh - you get to talk to people and they can see you are sound or whatever. Online dating is brutal. You'd never walk away from someone mid conversation, would you? Not replying to aomeone and politely saying you're not interested is the same thing!

I'm a woman so going out "solo" as you say is a bit harder and in a smallish town you'd be considered a bit of freak to be honest! But I've decided there are other (easier) ways to meet guys. I am joining a martial arts class and have been offered a job working at functions where I would meet lots of fit bouncer types so I might do that. And to be honest I might just give the younger lads a go - they never seem to be bothered by my age when I tell them!

So best of luck to all of you who are sticking with it. You've tougher hides than me! Anyway, I may be moving to a big city in a few months so who knows, I may rejoin when there are more blokes to choose from!!!

I has a date :)

not from a dating site, but online still :o

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Careful of those boardsies. They from t'internet! :D

Guy messaged me, might be a copy and paste job, but he included some nice music!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Get outta here with your real person date!! Sheesh! :rolleyes:;)

Dovies wrote: »
    Get outta here with your real person date!! Sheesh! :rolleyes:;)

he's a real person (from the internet). I've met him once and now we're having a date :) but yeah it doesn't quite fit with what this thread is about, so I won't be talking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

he's a real person (from the internet). I've met him once and now we're having a date :) but yeah it doesn't quite fit with what this thread is about, so I won't be talking about it.

So is it a boardsie then? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

A couple of people have asked me where I met the guy I've on a few dates with, and I told them straight out that it was online and so far reactions have been positive.

I think the only way to get rid of the online stigma is to be upfornt and honest about how many of us use it. I have no qualms with telling people I'm using online dating.Its just another way of meeting someone.

So stupiusername spill the beans on this online/boardsie bloke :D

So is it a boardsie then? :P
    panda100 wrote: »
    So stupiusername spill the beans on this online/boardsie bloke :D

it is a boardsie, so i don't really feel comfortable saying anything more.it's only a date ..!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

he's a real person (from the internet).

Traitor! :mad:

We're only meant to date robot people from teh internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

So I dipped my toe into online dating for the first time this week and while it was good at first, I'm quickly learning the truth.

Messaged loads of girls, genuine messages. Only a small few ever reply (ok that's a given). Got as far as texting with two of them. One I thought was really cute and seemed cool on the texts. We were texting constantly for days.

Then I added her to facebook.

What she forgot to mention was that her profile pictures are over a year old and she has since gained 4 or 5 stone :mad: It came as a complete shock, I felt betrayed.

The other one just stopped texting me out of the blue. Just like that.

Sigh. I signed up because one of my mates swears by internet dating, he met his girlfriend on okcupid. I guess it does work. Rarely it seems??

awec wrote: »
    It is a boardsie!

Probably not fair to name him without him knowing about it.

He'll know once he reads this thread! :pac:

Galvasean wrote: »
    He'll know once he read this thread! :pac:

he may, he may not.
    Elessar wrote: »
    So I dipped my toe into online dating for the first time this week and while it was good at first, I'm quickly learning the truth.

Messaged loads of girls, genuine messages. Only a small few ever reply (ok that's a given). Got as far as texting with two of them. One I thought was really cute and seemed cool on the texts. We were texting constantly for days.

Then I added her to facebook.

What she forgot to mention was that her profile pictures are over a year old and she has since gained 4 or 5 stone :mad: It came as a complete shock, I felt betrayed.

The other one just stopped texting me out of the blue. Just like that.

Sigh. I signed up because one of my mates swears by internet dating, he met his girlfriend on okcupid. I guess it does work. Rarely it seems??

Sounds like things went awfully fast. this all happened in one week?

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Might not be a TGC boardsie!

Not a TGClubber? Surely he's no fun then!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement