Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Comments

Myrddin wrote: »
    Also demonstrated on screen in Encounter at Farpoint I think (it certainly separated at warp, not sure if it showed the saucer continuing on at warp, I think it did though?). That wouldn't be independent warp speed though, it needed the stardrive section to get to that speed in the first place.

Oh very true.
    Just checked it there. Maintain high warp for up to two minutes, using the impulse engines to maintain the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

was thinking that can see why they never separated much it was kinda a pointless feature

The reason they did not do it more was the cost of doing it was quite high. Its not like they could have reused the few clips they had of it separating as one was above a planet and the other when they were fighting the Borg.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

AMKC wrote: »
    The reason they did not do it more was the cost of doing it was quite high. Its not like they could have reused the few clips they had of it separating as one was above a planet and the other when they were fighting the Borg.

I doubt the cost would have been massove the main clips of it separating focus on up close linkage between the sections, id reckon it was more to do with finding a seituation a situation where it would be usefull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭squonk

I liked that it was something that wasn't used that often. It was definitely a less is more kind of thing. When you heard Picard order saucer separation you knew that some serious sh1t was about to go down. Even better it necessitated the command staff hitting the battle bridge so you had a large civilian ship suddenly turn into a nimble little warship.

Here was one use... Odyssey going through the wormhole!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Here was one use... Odyssey going through the wormhole!!

True but remember at that stage they had no idea that their shields and weapons would be so ineffective against the Jem'Hadar fighters. The Galaxy Class was top of the line at that point and the equal (or better) of most ships in the Alpha Quadrant

Plus Captain Keogh was a bit of an arrogant ass.. but at least he did offload the civilians/non-essential personnel at DS9 before they left as I recall.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    True but remember at that stage they had no idea that their shields and weapons would be so ineffective against the Jem'Hadar fighters. The Galaxy Class was top of the line at that point and the equal (or better) of most ships in the Alpha Quadrant

Plus Captain Keogh was a bit of an arrogant ass.. but at least he did offload the civilians/non-essential personnel at DS9 before they left as I recall.

If you're offloading civilians and expecting a fight, why bother with the Saucer at all?

If you're offloading civilians and expecting a fight, why bother with the Saucer at all?

Maybe Keogh didn't like the chairs on the battle bridge? :p

You'd presume there was some reason though otherwise likewise in the Dominion war all those new Galaxy's should have been stardrive sections only. Additional power from the saucer's impulse drive or something?

The real reason of course is that, expense of the shots aside, the whole ship looks better as one unit on camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

You'd presume there was some reason though otherwise likewise in the Dominion war all those new Galaxy's should have been stardrive sections only. Additional power from the saucer's impulse drive or something?

The real reason of course is that, expense of the shots aside, the whole ship looks better as one unit on camera

I suppose they would make good troop transporters during war could seperate and have the saucer deliver troops while the stardrive section covers them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

just realised when watching yesterday that Chris Hemsworth was Jims dad on the Kelvin

• Advertisement

The Saucer has very powerful fusion engines, wider arc phasers (stronger too I think) but in universe yeah. they should have left the saucers at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Yeah the main phasers are on the Saucer. It can separate for strategic reasons but you're weakening the ship if you do it.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Yeah the main phasers are on the Saucer. It can separate for strategic reasons but you're weakening the ship if you do it.

The Stardrive is faster, more agile and stronger sheilds (from not having to generate a shield around the saucer) IIRC.
    More than pays off for the phaser decrease

I don't know. If I'm going into a fight I want my phasers.

Does this mean that the Saucer doesn't have shields??

I don't know. If I'm going into a fight I want my phasers.

Does this mean that the Saucer doesn't have shields??

It has but doesn't have the warp engines for extra power.

The drive section has phasers but the firing arc is not as wide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

just realised when watching yesterday that Chris Hemsworth was Jims dad on the Kelvin

He's due to make a reappearance.. can't remember if it's beyond or the next one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    He's due to make a reappearance.. can't remember if it's beyond or the next one

Next one, though they haven't said in what capacity he'll appear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Would like to take a few weeks off work to binge DS9...

Yeah I remember quite enjoying that episode and thought that the concept was good. I'm going to start a Voyager watch soon. I think there's almost certainly a few episodes that I've never seen in the middle there somewhere..

Well it took three years and ten months..... But I finished Voyager just now! Yay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Well it took three years and ten months..... But I finished Voyager just now! Yay.
    I asked this last August...
    Is DS9 worth watching? I couldn't take to it when it first came out.
    Myrddin wrote: »
    Do it, now.

And just finished up the other day. I really liked it. Odo...hated his character all those years ago but this time round I liked him, and Quark and Neris and Garak and Rom...they're all brilliant.

A bit to religiously at times but great Series, I miss the Characters now, the Baseball ep against the Vulcans was brilliant.

press play at 3.35...odos face at 3.45 :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I asked this last August...

A bit to religiously at times but great Series, I miss the Characters now, the Baseball ep against the Vulcans was brilliant.

]

Which season and episode was that episode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

368100 wrote: »
    Which season and episode was that episode?

S07E04

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_Me_Out_to_the_Holosuite

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Darmok and Jalad... at Tanagra

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Darmok and Jalad... at Tanagra

:)

Shaka, when the walls fell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Mirab, with sails unfurled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Mirab, with sails unfurled

Picard and Dathon... at El-Adrel.

sokath_his_eyes_uncovered.jpg

Fantastic episode though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I still use this quote when I come across a thread on AH that makes little or no sense.

• Advertisement

Ye inspired me to watch this again this morning :) Still a classic.. love the ending:

Advertisement