Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭squonk

Temba - his arms open

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

R.i.P

Fantastic scene with Bashir here

DS9 is just full of great secondary characters.. here's another of the best episodes/interactions:

That whole episode is brilliant though. Like Darmok above it's one of the best of the franchise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

the history channel did a 2 hour special on 50 years of star trek a couple of nights ago.

And in among the real promo images they showed an image of jeri ryan who played 7 of 9 that was a photoship pic of mine.

not only did they use my image without consent, they even cropped it to remove my signature, and a load of star trek sites have latched on to this, and even jeri ryan herself responded on twitter.

If that was a paramount picture they would not have done it as they would be sued on copyright and using it without permission.
    Whilst glad my work was good enough to fool the so called experts, pretty ****ty thing to do to take work without permission and then knowingly crop it to remove the signature.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

stick up the picture

this image

6a3e9a484416146.jpg

Jeri Ryan never wore this first contact /ds9 uniform

she did wear a tng teal colored uniform in an episode of voyager called "relativity"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

this image

6a3e9a484416146.jpg

Jeri Ryan never wore this first contact /ds9 uniform

she did wear a tng teal colored uniform in an episode of voyager called "relativity"

You sure? Pretty sure i saw her once in that uniform?

I did too, She Met Captain Janeway on Janeway's first day aboard Voyager - one of those time travel episodes pretty late into the show.. but yeah, she was in that uniform, pretty sure tha twas the ds9 one no? Though she didn't have the ocular implants

I did too, She Met Captain Janeway on Janeway's first day aboard Voyager - one of those time travel episodes pretty late into the show.. but yeah, she was in that uniform, pretty sure tha twas the ds9 one no? Though she didn't have the ocular implants

Going to have you Hop on Netflix tonight and check

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

She was wearing a science division Voyager style uniform in that episode. The First Contact style uniform wasn't in service when Voyager launched.

fair enough, then yeah, go go gadget lawsuit! :D

the history channel did a 2 hour special on 50 years of star trek a couple of nights ago.

And in among the real promo images they showed an image of jeri ryan who played 7 of 9 that was a photoship pic of mine.

not only did they use my image without consent, they even cropped it to remove my signature, and a load of star trek sites have latched on to this, and even jeri ryan herself responded on twitter.

If that was a paramount picture they would not have done it as they would be sued on copyright and using it without permission.
    Whilst glad my work was good enough to fool the so called experts, pretty ****ty thing to do to take work without permission and then knowingly crop it to remove the signature.

Use this to force Axanar into production!! Lol

you did not, and of course I am sure seeing as I made the picture myself. :D

you did not, and of course I am sure seeing as I made the picture myself. :D

Apologies then! And well done on the art work. :)

Demand compensation for it and while your at it, get me a red matter capacitor for star trek online :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

just watching Generations earlier, does anyone know why Riker had the "new DS9 (pre dominion war uniform with the grey turtleneck) and picard had the TNG uniform on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

just watching Generations earlier, does anyone know why Riker had the "new DS9 (pre dominion war uniform with the grey turtleneck) and picard had the TNG uniform on?
    In universe: Starfleet were in the process of changing the uniforms fleet wide and some people hadn't gotten around to changing.

Out of universe: They couldn't afford to get all new style uniforms kind of like when they changed the TNG uniform but the season 1 & 2 style still hung around on extras for a while. Most of the new style ones were from the DS9 cast that's why Riker's sleeves are rolled he's wearing Sisko's uniform and the sleeves are too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Generations is rather cleverly set during the exact day of a Starfleet uniform changeover. As each character comes on shift or gets a chance to go their quarters, they all change into the DS9/Voyager jumpsuit. Picard is a little late to the party as he has weightier things on his mind than selling action figures...

And that's the last time you'll see me use the word 'clever' to refer to that awful mess of a film.

Evade wrote: »
    In universe: Starfleet were in the process of changing the uniforms fleet wide and some people hadn't gotten around to changing.

Out of universe: They couldn't afford to get all new style uniforms kind of like when they changed the TNG uniform but the season 1 & 2 style still hung around on extras for a while. Most of the new style ones were from the DS9 cast that's why Riker's sleeves are rolled he's wearing Sisko's uniform and the sleeves are too long.

That seems odd, Frakes its a good few inches taller than Brooks

In the "odd" vein...

So just finished watching Best of Both Worlds on Netflix. Looks fantastic which is a bonus for what is an epic two-parter (albeit noticeably weaker in the second hour).

Anyway in the end Picard is rescued, the Cube explodes and the Borg threat is stopped.... BUT, despite having seen his Captain kidnapped, implanted with Borg tech, used as a drone, and stripped of his knowledge for use in the attack, Riker happily hands over command straight away/only hours(??) later - although Beverly has obviously done some work, they haven't yet reached dry dock despite being in-system so it can't have been TOO long! Plus I always hear a metallic tone from Picard when he tells Shelby to come in, so he's not exactly 100% as we see in the next episode (Family) anyway.

But why was he not immediately summoned to Command for extensive debriefing, medical tests, and evaluation? Instead we see him casually sitting in the ready room drinking tea and reading damage report updates in full uniform.

Never made sense to me - even "in universe" it wouldn't make sense!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    In the "odd" vein...

So just finished watching Best of Both Worlds on Netflix. Looks fantastic which is a bonus for what is an epic two-parter (albeit noticeably weaker in the second hour).

Anyway in the end Picard is rescued, the Cube explodes and the Borg threat is stopped.... BUT, despite having seen his Captain kidnapped, implanted with Borg tech, used as a drone, and stripped of his knowledge for use in the attack, Riker happily hands over command straight away/only hours(??) later - although Beverly has obviously done some work, they haven't yet reached dry dock despite being in-system so it can't have been TOO long! Plus I always hear a metallic tone from Picard when he tells Shelby to come in, so he's not exactly 100% as we see in the next episode (Family) anyway.

But why was he not immediately summoned to Command for extensive debriefing, medical tests, and evaluation? Instead we see him casually sitting in the ready room drinking tea and reading damage report updates in full uniform.

And several years later in first contact we see that doubts persist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

I think what they showed on screen was way, way, way better than what would have made sense. We see a wounded Picard, saved by the skin of his teeth, and the final pan shot showing him staring out of the window has a lovely emptiness to it, leaving us wondering (at the time), was there more to come? Beautiful ending to a fantastic two parter.

Yes, the logical thing would be to leave Riker in command, and debrief Picard to ensure he's still himself...but that would have been too dull.
    And several years later in first contact we see that doubts persist!

I know, he's such a weakling...he should have just rolled with the punches and not let himself be altered by the brutal assault and essential raping of his entire being.

I thought the following episode deals with it very well on the Picard vineyard. The way he breaks down to his brother and finally let's loose about his ordeal.

Then enjoys a few glasses of wine.

Myrddin wrote: »
    I think what they showed on screen was way, way, way better than what would have made sense. We see a wounded Picard, saved by the skin of his teeth, and the final pan shot showing him staring out of the window has a lovely emptiness to it, leaving us wondering (at the time), was there more to come? Beautiful ending to a fantastic two parter.

Yes, the logical thing would be to leave Riker in command, and debrief Picard to ensure he's still himself...but that would have been too dull.

Oh I know the "real" answer is simply the needs of TV and the format of the show at that time.. and Patrick Stewart shows us again what a fantastic actor he is in those final few moments (and particularly in the next episode).. but maybe they should have framed it as that scene being set with the Enterprise already in drydock, with Picard coming back onto the bridge having been at Headquarters (so without needing to say it you can suggest that whatever time you like has passed).

The rest could play out as seen but I think it would have added a bit more authenticity to it. I did really like how they continued the arc in Family and there's some great scenes between Jean Luc and his brother...

... it's a shame we didn't get another visit to the Picard vineyard in the series.

loved that scene, it made him seem very much more human - not the infallible confident captain he is on the bridge

then again, there was also this which did the same in a very different way, plus it wasnt really him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Myrddin wrote: »
    I know, he's such a weakling...he should have just rolled with the punches and not let himself be altered by the brutal assault and essential raping of his entire being.

I think he meant that Starfleet's doubts in Picard had persisted, as evidenced by their efforts to keep him away from the battle.
    loved that scene, it made him seem very much more human - not the infallible confident captain he is on the bridge

then again, there was also this which did the same in a very different way, plus it wasnt really him

That scene makes me cringe so much I have to skip it.

i thought it was hilarious, he actually has a good singing voice and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

I think he meant that Starfleet's doubts in Picard had persisted, as evidenced by their efforts to keep him away from the battle.

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm sure Riker would have been ready to step in had Picard shown signs on the Bridge that he was no longer capable of command.

• Advertisement

Think we can forget that this was TV Of The 80s and 90s. Things have progressed in our expectations since then.

Advertisement