Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rawr

Any chance these rumours are originating from Midnight's Edge?

That rings a bell it could of been them. They are interesting rumours, but again, possibly total fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Rawr wrote: »
    That rings a bell it could of been them. They are interesting rumours, but again, possibly total fiction.

All I'd say on that source, is that you'd be hard-pressed to find a single video they've run that doesn't start with the premise that Discovery is a terrible show that has not been successful, and which will be cancelled any day now. That has been the line since the first details on the show were announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's from ME alright (and DoomCock which YouTube has linked together for me). Whatever about these latest rumours, I think they were right about the Paramount/CBS licensing issues resulting in the changes in appearances for the Kelvin movies/Discovery

Videos here.. make up your own minds :)

All rumors of course yes but the above channels suggest, with Les Moonves now gone, and Netflix unwilling to pay to cover S2, Discovery will need to stand on its own two feet this year - hence the injection of Orville-inspired humor for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

The irony of these tabloid trashfires moaning about Trek being dumbed down...

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    All rumors of course yes but the above channels suggest, with Les Moonves now gone, and Netflix unwilling to pay to cover S2, Discovery will need to stand on its own two feet this year - hence the injection of Orville-inspired humor for example.

If there's any amount of truth to what has being said there, I have sort of mixed feelings about it.

On one hand, I am hopeful that these potential problems may teach CBS to not take the audence for granted, and to make certain to put the effort in. For it's failings Season 1 of STD I feel that it is still probably best opening season of a Trek show I can rememeber. (And I do remember TNG Season 1...."There will be no vaccine!!!") Season 2 might be all the better for it.

On the other hand, if there is actually drama and chaos over there, then it might cause too many problems for STD, and maybe even future Trek shows...which I don't want.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jesus, I managed about 5 minutes of that Midnights Edge: no sources, no proof, no stats; just rank speculation about popularity spoken like it's some Source of Truth. It actually infuriates me just how much supposition is in that video, yakking about Netflix's inner thoughts on Discovery yet not even attempting to quote sources. It's the worst kind of YouTube tabloid clickbait by way of tea-leaves reading, staring at tidbits of tattle and extrapolating broad pronouncements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I'm selectively watching Voyager episodes based on the best rated ones on that Jammers reviews website.
    One episode started with Chakotay, Tom Paris, Harry Kim, and Neelix all in the Delta Flyer together. I was thinking, one well placed photon torpedo could single handedly get rid of the worst and dullest Voyager characters. :D

In all seriousness though, I've watched about 15 or so episodes and they are pretty good. It makes wish the series had more better episodes.

And Jeri Ryan was obviously hired for sex appeal but to be fair, she's a pretty decent actor. I would say she played Seven just as well as Spiner played Data.

I'd say my favourite episode is Prey from season 4. Really good character work for Seven and Janeway anchored by an exciting plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭Inviere

Agreed re Jeri Ryan, the girl can act and Seven became a top character very quickly because of her.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Favourite Voyager episodes, off the top of my head, were Year of Hell, Equinox, Drone, Latent Image and Message in a Bottle (had to google some of those names). I also enjoyed any Hirogen episodes, and the time travelling/sarah silverman episode back on Earth.

The Hirogen were such a wasted opportunity. They were HUGE in their first one or two outings, with a uniquely interesting culture. Shame to see they were slowly transformed into generic bad guys #3324.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Inviere wrote: »
    The Hirogen were such a wasted opportunity. They were HUGE in their first one or two outings, with a uniquely interesting culture. Shame to see they were slowly transformed into generic bad guys #3324.

They had the potential to be a really interesting species.

All Eyes On Rafah

Inviere wrote: »

They really ruined it when they put in the Hirogen Holodeck.....with a Hirogen Nerd to run it all.

"We're not all hunters your know...."

[Enemy Neutered]

(They should have never took off the face mask...that was a stupid move...)

Agreed. It’s actually one of Voyagers biggest sins, is neutering enemies. The Vidiians could have been actually terrifying, but no.

Hirogen, Vidiians, Borg, 8472, All neutered.

Would have liked to have seen more Devore. Space Nazi's are usually interesting.

Best bad guy was probably 'Fear: The Clown'

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

I liked the whole decay of a society that only focuses on one thing the Hirogen had going before the non hunters were introduced. It was a bit like Klingons taken to the extreme. A better solution would have been to crib from the old Star Wars EU Mandalorian lore, everyone is a hunter but maybe in the off season we start pursuing another skill, like building new ships or maintaining the 100,000 year old infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You have to look at the logistics of something like that. The original hirogen were MASSIVE and played by seven foot lads. You know how hard it is to find somebody that size with acting ability? It's fine when all they need do is grunt and look menacing.....but if you want some actual dialogue you either have to shove a mask on them and do voiceover......or bite the bullet and get some regular sized actors.

Unless you want episodes filled with Giant people with the acting ability of Tommy Wiseau, you make allowances.

It's also why 8472 ended up having human shells. The CGI was too expensive. These are the realities of tv. Even shows with untold millions to spend like Game of Thrones killed off all their dire wolves because they were so damned expensive. Voyager had a tiny budget in comparison.

Kirby wrote: »
    You have to look at the logistics of something like that. The original hirogen were MASSIVE and played by seven foot lads. You know how hard it is to find somebody that size with acting ability? It's fine when all they need do is grunt and look menacing.....but if you want some actual dialogue you either have to shove a mask on them and do voiceover......or bite the bullet and get some regular sized actors.

Unless you want episodes filled with Giant people with the acting ability of Tommy Wiseau, you make allowances.

It's also why 8472 ended up having human shells. The CGI was too expensive. These are the realities of tv. Even shows with untold millions to spend like Game of Thrones killed off all their dire wolves because they were so damned expensive. Voyager had a tiny budget in comparison.

Instead of diminishing them, you should use them more rarely then. Not simply create mediocre episodes that ruins the image behind them

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well I suppose but again, I never found the hirogen episodes mediocre. I quite enjoyed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Hirogen, Vidiians, Borg, 8472, All neutered.

Would have liked to have seen more Devore. Space Nazi's are usually interesting.

Best bad guy was probably 'Fear: The Clown'

I have to agree. That Clown was so scary. Even now he is still scary. He actually did kill people in the story*

*Not in actual real life its just a show.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

AMKC wrote: »
    I have to agree. That Clown was so scary. Even now he is still scary. He actually did kill people in the story*

The really scary thing in that episode was hologram Janeway.
    Clown: "I'm afraid"
    Holo Janeway: "I know"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

AMKC wrote: »

Chuck from Better Call Saul :pac:

The swarm species could have been interesting instead of a single episode.

All Eyes On Rafah

Kirby wrote: »

That's part of my grip with the Hirogen. When we meet them, they are wearing masks and speaking with a raspy radio-voice. They came across as quite the threat. Then later for some stupid reason they had them appear without the masks.

If they had just kept the masks on, the actors they hired wouldn't necessarily need to be able to speak all that well (or even in English). Just add a good voice actor :) Also they might not have been neutered as a threat so quickly...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Niska

Looking at coverage of the Chinese landing on the far side of the moon, and thought the first image was a screenshot from some Star Trek show:
    6780003.jpg

This is the China national Space Agency website: http://www.cnsa.gov.cn/

And their logo:
    aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzAzMi81OTIvb3JpZ2luYWwvQ05TQS1sb2dvLmpwZw==

Who knew the Federation started in China.

(For reference the Federation flag and the Star Fleet badge:
    1200px-Flag_of_the_United_Federation_of_Planets.svg.png

200px-Starfleet_command_emblem.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I posted all those space agencies logos here

http://gazomg-trek-art.blogspot.com/search/label/*NON%20TREK*

Niska wrote: »

And their logo:
    aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzAzMi81OTIvb3JpZ2luYWwvQ05TQS1sb2dvLmpwZw==

Hmm...China's Space agency is maybe run by TNG fans? That really looks like a slightly off-center TNG Starfleet bagde with the UFP branches.

Makes sense

China copyright infringed the Federation.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Has there ever been a Chinese character in Star Trek?

Ensign Kim is Korean I think!

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Has there ever been a Chinese character in Star Trek?

Ensign Kim is Korean I think!

I think actor Garret Wang is of Chinese ancestry but I am pretty sure Harry Kim is of Korean ancestry. Of course, correct me if I am wrong.

Not sure if there's anyone else

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

Spotted this comparison of actual space agency logos, which indicate a bit of a trend:

starfleet1.png

We're nearly there folks. Might be time to sort out your application for the Academy ;D

Advertisement