Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So China wins WW3 and out of the ashes forms the United Earth govt? Lol

All Eyes On Rafah

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Has there ever been a Chinese character in Star Trek?

Ensign Kim is Korean I think!

ever see the chinese building in the shape of the enterprise ?

enterprise_3312981a.jpg?imwidth=450

• Registered Users Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

A little off topic but anyone watching Sliders on the Horror Channel? It Just started this evening. Be on again at 9pm on +1

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭Inviere

AMKC wrote: »
    A little off topic but anyone watching Sliders on the Horror Channel? It Just started this evening. Be on again at 9pm on +1

Finished a run through of it a few months back. The fourth and fifth seasons are absolute slogs to get through, but the early seasons are still decent.

Ms

Inviere wrote: »
    Finished a run through of it a few months back. The fourth and fifth seasons are absolute slogs to get through, but the early seasons are still decent.

Very good. Have not seen it in decades myself so its like its all new again. Is five seasons how many it got?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I only ever remember the ep where they got home but the bridge was the wrong colour and they were like meh
    and the lottery one
    I must give that a go again sometime

AMKC wrote: »
    Very good. Have not seen it in decades myself so its like its all new again. Is five seasons how many it got?

5 yep. By then, the Cryin' Man was the only original cast member left. I've got teeeeaars, in my fro'...

Ms

bluewolf wrote: »
    I only ever remember the ep where they got home but the bridge was the wrong colour and they were like meh
    and the lottery one
    I must give that a go again sometime

Its repeated again at the weekend on the Horror Channel from 10 am on Saturday. All 5 episodes in a row. You could start then if you have it or record them even.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's probably for the best; The Nicholas Meyer films were the high points, but Trek on film arguably failed more times than it soared. Perhaps it's best it goes back to its roots for a few years, ride out the Blockbuster trend of set-piece driven 'rides'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I won't lose any sleep if Star Trek was shelved. I think the series had run it's course and now we are in an era when we have 5-6 series in the pipeline.

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's probably for the best; The Nicholas Meyer films were the high points, but Trek on film arguably failed more times than it soared. Perhaps it's best it goes back to its roots for a few years, ride out the Blockbuster trend of set-piece driven 'rides'.

Absolutely, Trek has put some serious dog poo on the silver screen over the years. Wrath and County for me are the two standout proper cinema movies...and they relied on some serious cast-chemistry to boot (and succeeded because of it). We don't really have that with JJ-Trek, and the films feel quite flat because of it (the main cast are damned good though).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The TNG films weren't the best and the JJ films lacked a certain something, but "serious dog poo" is a bit harsh I think.

ST1 – Great.
    ST2 – Great.
    ST3 – Decent.
    ST4 – Good.
    ST5 – Bad.
    ST6 – Great.

ST7 – Meh. Would have worked better as a double episode.
    ST8 – Great.
    ST9 – Decent but pretty much a double episode.
    ST10 – Bad.

ST – Decent.
    ST:ID – Meh.
    ST:B – Decent.

Goodshape wrote: »
    The TNG films weren't the best and the JJ films lacked a certain something, but "serious dog poo" is a bit harsh I think.

ST1 – Great.
    ST2 – Great.
    ST3 – Good.
    ST4 – Good.
    ST5 – Bad.
    ST6 – Great.

ST7 – Meh. Would have worked better as a double episode.
    ST8 – Great.
    ST9 – Decent but pretty much a double episode.
    ST10 – Bad.

ST – Decent.
    ST:ID – Bad.
    ST:B – Good.

Would not change too much from your list, to be honest. Although there is a big case for ST:ID being "Dog****"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Star Trek 4 needs to be boosted to GREAT :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Would not change too much from your list, to be honest.

Heh, I was on the fence about those exact three films you changed :). ST:B was a lot of fun, and I've always thought ST:3 was better than it's usually given credit for. Story is a bit... odd... but there's some fantastic stuff in there otherwise, and Christopher Lloyd is just brilliant as Kruge.

ST:4 doesn't deserve "Great" though :p. Too silly. Each to their own!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Until I actually watched TNG, I didn't appreciate the argument that while First Contact was a good film, it was a terrible TNG piece, with Picard turned into Jean-Luc McClane, action man. He really didn't partake in fisticuffs at all in the show, I can appreciate how jarring it must have been.

My own list would be

ST1 – Bad (beautiful FX, but a total chore).
    ST2 – Brilliant.
    ST3 – Good.
    ST4 – Good.
    ST5 – Bad.
    ST6 – Brilliant.

ST7 – Bad.
    ST8 – Good.
    ST9 – Bad
    ST10 – Bad.

ST – Ok, if you ignore the whole 'Star Trek' thing.
    ST:ID – Aquaman levels of idiotic.
    ST:B – Good.

Yeah but Aquaman is idiotic and the film leans into that intentionally

No such excuse for ID

Generations is the most TNG like of all the TNG movies. As a result, it's not a great cinema film.

Inviere wrote: »
    Generations is the most TNG like of all the TNG movies. As a result, it's not a great cinema film.

Insurrection, I think, takes that. As a 2 parter it would have been one of the best stories in TNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rawr

Let's jump on this wagon of band....

ST1 – Somewhat slow and boring...but I kind of like the atmospheric feeling they were going for. It's actually kind of perfect when I want to slow down.
    ST2KHAAAAAAANN!!! (Need anyone say more?)
    ST3 – A lite copy of ST2, but with that iconic death of NCC1701, which always resonates with me. "My god Bones...what have I done?".
    ST4 – Loads of fun! Plus at least one "Nuclear Wessel"
    ST5 – Shat-Trek, the Final Shatner-teer. Watchable, somewhat fun, but clearly he was out of his depth directing this.
    ST6 – Shakespeare...in the Original Klingon. I love it.

ST7 – TNG! The movie!! ....mmmm some fun. Kind of silly, but watchable. Shameless recycling of some SFX scenes from TNG & ST6.
    ST8 – Absolute classic. Second only to ST2 in my book. "And *I* will make them PAY for what they have done!!"
    ST9 – What....but....THE F**K IS THIS?!! Just...no! Not a 2-parter TNG episode, but a crappy as hell TNG 2-parter.
    ST10 – Urrrrrr......meh........

ST – Actually kind of fun. A pity they couldn't do this without breaking canon.
    ST:ID – "Sherlock" as Khan...is boring as all hell. The first ST movie I have only seen *once*.
    ST:B – The second ST movie I have only seen *once*. Although...not too bad really. Alas, underwhelming villain, couldn't care less about what happens to Enterprise. Kind of "meh" in many places....

Ms

Insurrection, I think, takes that. As a 2 parter it would have been one of the best stories in TNG

Riker: Were done running from these bastards.

Don't think they would have got away with that on the TV back then.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Watched Krull recently,
    MV5BMDAwM2MyNmMtYTljMi00ZDJiLWJmOTktYjMzNGE3OGZiNTc2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,640,1000_AL_.jpg

seriously,
    I only figured that the main character pictured above (with long luxurious hippy hair) is Eddington from DS9 :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

EVOLUTION OF THE STARFLEET LOGO

using 3 original logos, Nasa, Ad Astra and the Starfleet logos, I tried to bridge them all together FOR MY STAR TREK WEBSITE
    https://gazomg-trek-art.blogspot.com/

604a381090546184.jpg

Michelle Yeoh spin-off confirmed:

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/michelle-yeoh-star-trek-section-31-cbs-all-access-1203107023/
    CBS All Access is officially moving forward on the development of a standalone “Star Trek” series starring Michelle Yeoh, Variety has learned.

The series would see Yeoh reprise the role of Philippa Georgiou, expanding on the character’s current position as a member of Section 31, a shadowy intelligence agency operating within the Federation. Yeoh is also set to appear in the second season of “Star Trek: Discovery,” which debuts this Thursday on All Access.

Honestly, not sure how I feel about the news; I love Yeoh, but she chewed the scenery with abandon & not sure going for 'dark Trek' is going to assuage those who already feel Trek has gone too far in that direction...

Yet another move in the wrong direction for Star Trek. Yet another prequel series, with the lead being the former Emperor from the mirror universe as a member of Section 31? Sounds ghastly if I'm honest. Real bottom of the barrel stuff. No issue with Yeoh herself, I enjoyed her as Captain Georgiou, not so much as her mirror universe counterpart.

I think it's time the old guard of Trek fandom start to accept that Star Trek, as we knew it (for better or for worse), isn't likely to be coming back. The last hope is the Picard show really. I do enjoy Discovery, it's the best type of Star Trek since the days Enterprise was showing, but even objectively speaking, it's massively, massively different in all aspects to TNG & DS9...even accounting for how tv trends etc have changed.

I don't mind the prequel aspect, but at first blush it's hard to see how they'll make the homicidal empress even vaguely relatable as a lead character. She was as a vampy antagonist, god knows how you translate that into a series.

Unless they're going to go in the opposite direction, start her as immoral, only for her to learn the benefits of startfleet, and the federation.

Unless they're going to go in the opposite direction, start her as immoral, only for her to learn the benefits of startfleet, and the federation.

Exactly what I immediately thought. There were glimpses of a "good" empress, in some of the episodes. I think that they will even have her rebel against S31 by the end

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

How many episodes before she recruits a young MACO officer named West in her long con plan to take down the Klingons?

• Advertisement
    Ms

Michelle Yeoh spin-off confirmed:

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/michelle-yeoh-star-trek-section-31-cbs-all-access-1203107023/

Honestly, not sure how I feel about the news; I love Yeoh, but she chewed the scenery with abandon & not sure going for 'dark Trek' is going to assuage those who already feel Trek has gone too far in that direction...

I think a prequel series of Captain Philippa Georgiou would have been better and at least then we would get some half decent looking ships and lots of new stories. The writers would not have had too many restrictions as its a different ship but still a ship we got a brief glimpse of before it was destroyed. The writers would however be restricted buy the time frame and certain things we know but they could let the series be its own thing. Its a bit Universe at least then it was anyway with lots of maybe secondary species to be discovered that maybe we did not see but heard about in later series.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement