Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

368100 wrote: »
    He said It's 19 years in real life since he put on the uniform
    They didn't finish shooting Nemesis until March 2002 so it only been 17 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Evade wrote: »

He must have got his sums wrong so

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Show will be out in 2020 I think, so it'll be 19.

Goodshape wrote: »
    Show will be out in 2020 I think, so it'll be 19.
    2020 would still only be 18 years.

I math good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

The 5th episode of of the 2nd season of Discovery will be the final one written under the stewardship of Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg who got fired for being abusive to writing staff and cost overruns. Will be interesting to see if theres a marked difference. Will we see more bottle episodes to compensate for Harberts and Bergs profligacy, will we see certain plotlines shelved and others introduced or will we notice a change at all .

I think that we will notice a less ciinematic style. Camera shaking or what, damn you can see the money on the screen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm both fascinated and a little worried what this switch up might entail for the show. The cinematic style hasn't always worked - episode 3s swirling, vomit inducing camera makes that clear - but for me it has given Discovery some identity in being a SciFi show willing to "go big".

I'm especially worried given so far season 2 has shown a marked improvement in quality and approach, so fingers crossed there's minimum negative impact onscreen

Do we know if the scripts for future episodes would have been locked in? I get the sense that US shows can be more fluid than (say) BBC stuff, that'd be confirmed before filming began.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Inviere wrote: »
    Incidentally, I’ve listed a few Star Trek models on Adverts, if anyone is interested - https://www.adverts.ie/member/94789/ads

If I was still in Ireland I'd be up to you in a shot for those AMT ones, not the easiest to get anymore and those are the best prices I've seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Inviere wrote: »
    Finally, some forward movement in the timeline. I’d imagine they’ll keep things tight though, and not delve too much in the current political standings in the alpha/beta quadrants. I’d say it’ll be quite character focused, which isn’t a bad thing at all.

Incidentally, I’ve listed a few Star Trek models on Adverts, if anyone is interested - https://www.adverts.ie/member/94789/ads

They look great. I have Voyager but never got the others. Must say I think the NX-Enterprise looks really nice and even better lit up. The Constitution looks good too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I've always thought the Enterprise-A was a beautiful looking ship

Ms

368100 wrote: »
    I've always thought the Enterprise-A was a beautiful looking ship

She is indeed. A true classic

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No wonder there was pushback over the issue of budgets: apparently during filming of Discovery season 2 it was realised that the classic uniforms were missing the rank pips, so they CGI'ed them in after the fact. I get that shooting is on a schedule, and the time probably wasnt there to delay but that really strikes as a waste of money for a tiny detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭Inviere

AMKC wrote: »
    They look great. I have Voyager but never got the others. Must say I think the NX-Enterprise looks really nice and even better lit up. The Constitution looks good too.

Yeah with the NX, I actually removed the bulbs and built an led circuit inside it, so it's much more 'screen like' than the others. They're all lovely models I must say, the finish on them is class.

pixelburp wrote: »
    No wonder there was pushback over the issue of budgets: apparently during filming of Discovery season 2 it was realised that the classic uniforms were missing the rank pips, so they CGI'ed them in after the fact. I get that shooting is on a schedule, and the time probably wasnt there to delay but that really strikes as a waste of money for a tiny detail.
    The stripes on the sleeves or the pips on the combadge?

The stripes on the sleeves or the pips on the combadge?

The stripes on the sleeves. Apparently only noticed after the first couple of days filming. I'd have to go back and watch that first episode again and to be fair maybe the CGI wasn't needed in many shots, but even so...

pixelburp wrote: »
    The stripes on the sleeves. Apparently only noticed after the first couple of days filming. I'd have to go back and watch that first episode again and to be fair maybe the CGI wasn't needed in many shots, but even so...
    Seems like it would have been easier to add the stripes on the costumes at a later date and throw in a line about new rank insignia being tested in the new uniforms.

Seems like it would have been easier to add the stripes on the costumes at a later date and throw in a line about new rank insignia being tested in the new uniforms.

Indeed, but I guess if the producers were sacked for cost overruns, incidents like this would have been pretty damning evidence of waste. As you say they could have just written around the missing detail but presumably the producers decided it was worth the sheckles spent.

Begs the question what else had money thrown at it needlessly. The show looks great mind you, and whatever about its faults, it's the best Trek has ever looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭corkie

[DigitalSpy] Star Trek is poised to properly return to telly in the most unexpected way
    Not even Data could have seen this coming.
    Yet, the project that looks set to bring Star Trek back to proper TV for the first time since Enterprise ended in 2005 will apparently be an animated series for Nickelodeon, according to TheWrap.

Odd decision IMO, don't really see the potential audience. Not like kids are clamouring for a cartoon Trek. But CBS really seem to be hitting it hard with these spin offs...

• Advertisement

I think this sounds good. It's been a bit disappointing that I've been unable to share any of the newer Trek with younger members of my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, very odd. I mean I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Nick have probably been looking for another "prestige" show now that they don't have Avatar or Korra running. Avatar was hugely successful for them commercially and critically. Korra was probably not quite the success they wanted. While it had some fantastic episodes, the 2nd season was a bit of an unfocused let-down. However kudos have to be given to Nick for their hands-off approach on the show and it's brave ending for a show aimed primarily at kids
    The hero basically walked off into the sunset with her girlfriend

There was certainly nothing unsuitable in either show: Avatar may have skewed younger than Korra but it was an awesomely smart and cool show with some fantastic, beautiful animation.

So, yeah, it is unusual but, if Paramount give them some leeway, then it could be a good move (I believe Paramount own Nick?)

I hope they don't lowball the animation and default to a lazy, CGI'ed approach. There's a lot of creative, aesthetically interesting 2D styles out there and could work well against a SciFi backdrop, but certainly one thing that has put me off trying the Star Wars toons (apart from the aimed demographic) is the stilted, bland CGI used.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

GXfYzHd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

5254_182d_900.jpeg

Ms

So does anyone here think the subtitles for Discovery have been crap really.

I mean TOS, TNG, DS9 even Voyager and Enterprise had subtitles that meant something, that related to or gave you on idea of the episode and that you can remember.

A few examples would be Balance of Terror, The Best of Both Worlds, The Expanse, E2, Scorpion, The Cage, Whispers, The Measure of A Man etc and that's just the few I can think of now from all 5 series none from Discovery. I can think of more but that's enough.

Anyone here able to think of a Discovery subtitle, how it relates to the episode and say what that episode was about because I certainly can't.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You mean episode titles? Like Brother, an Obol for Charon... They clearly related to the episodes? New Eden was about a new eden...

Ms

bluewolf wrote: »
    You mean episode titles? Like Brother, an Obol for Charon... They clearly related to the episodes? New Eden was about a new eden...

That's what I mean yes.

How about this one then ,

"The Butcher's Knife Cares Not for the Lamb's Cry"

or

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    A lot of the titles are needlessly long and not very memorable but this one is Latin for something like "If you want peace, prepare for war"

Advertisement