Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

AMKC wrote: »
    That's what I mean yes.

How about this one then ,

"The Butcher's Knife Cares Not for the Lamb's Cry"

or

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

I use actual subtitles when watching so for a minute i was gona be like yeah! What's up with netflix subtitles!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 TheOrville

The Picard show is supposed to start filming this April.
    No cast has been announced, its not going to happen, it was all a ruse to try get people to watch STD, have that as a lead in show, "you need to watch STD so you know whats happening in Picard"
    STD has flopped so hard, we won't be getting any new Trek for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

TheOrville wrote: »
    No cast has been announced, its not going to happen, it was all a ruse to try get people to watch STD, have that as a lead in show, "you need to watch STD so you know whats happening in Picard"

But it hasn't flopped. MANY people like it and are happy with new Star Trek rather than nit picking at the show. I'm excited for each new episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

TheOrville wrote: »

Yes there is Patrick Stewart as Jean Juc Picard the storyteller. No one said there was going to be any other cast it will just be about Picard telling story's.
    It has been very quiet alright but I don't think it was a ruse for anything.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

American TV can be very last minute in a lot of ways, even still filming while a season airs. I'm not surprised the Picard show hasn't any cast announcements yet, if they're filming in April then no doubt there'll be publicity soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rawr

pixelburp wrote: »
    American TV can be very last minute in a lot of ways, even still filming while a season airs. I'm not surprised the Picard show hasn't any cast announcements yet, if they're filming in April then no doubt there'll be publicity soon enough.

I wonder if they would release concept CGI work first? If I remember right the very first thing we saw of Discovery was a few shots of the ship itself being launched (in a scene that I don't think appeared in the show).

This was a while before we knew really anything about cast or plot or much else. My guess is that they don't need to wait for the cast to be finalised before they start work on designing and rendering the various starships etc...

Rawr wrote: »
    I wonder if they would release concept CGI work first? If I remember right the very first thing we saw of Discovery was a few shots of the ship itself being launched (in a scene that I don't think appeared in the show).

That's because there were better CGI renders in PS1 games

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I still can't believe that they green-lit that for public release

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

My disco tshirt arrived, it's nice 🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

bluewolf wrote: »
    My disco tshirt arrived, it's nice 🀗

Pics!!!

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ever wondered what the Borg drive?

Answer a Borghini lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

When you think you know all the useless trivia there is to know about TNG, then you find out that Albert Einstein is a bishop, ya little bollox!

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Jim_Norton
    Jim Norton (born 4 January 1938; age 81) is an Irish actor who played the role of Albert Einstein in the Star Trek: The Next Generation

He is probably best known for his recurring role as the menacing Bishop Leonard "Len" Brennan in three episodes of the British/Irish comedy series Father Ted

Mind blown, etc.

Also – Len was only in three episodes of Father Ted? He made the most of it! What a great character.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,029 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Goodshape wrote: »

He has some list of credits on IMDB... three different roles in Babylon 5!
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0636235/

His narration for the recent RTE Lighthouses series was excellent.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Goodshape wrote: »
    When you think you know all the useless trivia there is to know about TNG, then you find out that Albert Einstein is a bishop, ya little bollox!

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Jim_Norton

Mind blown, etc.

Also – Len was only in three episodes of Father Ted? He made the most of it! What a great character.

Holy crap! I never knew that and I am usually so good with faces. I know he was heavily made up as Einstein but still!

Yeah I was laughing at it the other day when Barclay gets super intelligent (The Nth Degree) and he is debating unification theory, with Bishop Brennan

• Registered Users Posts: 13,122 ✭✭✭✭flazio

He was also Mr Mason in the second Harry Potter movie. His only line was cut but can be found on the dvds

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

in other trivia about Irish actors in trek

In the deep space nine episode times orphan O Brien says the word "bollocks".

The odd thing was it was cut when bbc showed the episode in the UK, was cut by Syfy as well when they showed it in the UK, but never cut when it aired on RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 24,502 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

in another episode of TNG when Data discusses the results of terrorism he says Ireland will be reunited in 2024.

That episode was cut when it aired on RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 24,502 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

in another episode of TNG when Data discusses the results of terrorism he says Ireland will be reunited in 2024.

might not be far wrong now though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

In fact RTE and BBC didn't show it at the time, but BBC showed it 15 years later.
    Was only a throw-away remark, and could have been edited without issue.

Anybody see this? Fan uses AI to upscale DS9 (watch in fullscreen, the difference is significant!) - https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/15/star-trek-deep-space-nine-ai-remaster/

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

Inviere wrote: »
    Anybody see this? Fan uses AI to upscale DS9 (watch in fullscreen, the difference is significant!) - https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/15/star-trek-deep-space-nine-ai-remaster/

I was a tad sceptical when I read the above but the content certainly speaks for itself the VFX shots scrub up well and the well lit interior scenes too (Particularly the Weyoun bit).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Not that impressed, SD cannot magically become HD - there is just no detail there to start with.
    Yes you can accentuate certain things by contrasting the areas better but still it's all pretty much still SD

fritzelly wrote: »
    Not that impressed

It's a significant improvement imo, far less blurry, far better definition, all without looking gimmicky. Obviously you can't make HD from an SD source, but you can clean the heck out of it and make noticeable improvements, which seems to be what has happened here.

Inviere wrote: »
    It's a significant improvement imo, far less blurry, far better definition, all without looking gimmicky. Obviously you can't make HD from an SD source, but you can clean the heck out of it and make noticeable improvements, which seems to be what has happened here.

There's more clarity in things that have "edges" but that was about it but that clarity is only so much making them more defined without further clarity
    Not dissing their efforts at all, but hoping for a blu-ray version like that I would pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

fritzelly wrote: »
    There's more clarity in things that have "edges" but that was about it but that clarity is only so much making them more defined without further clarity
    Not dissing their efforts at all, but hoping for a blu-ray version like that I would pass.

Obviously no one is suggesting that this process is going to magic new data out of thin air making HD from SD footage, but it is an interesting proof of concept idea. Taking alternate routes to enhance existing content with edge enhancement, sharpening etc. It is all for naught though as we are never getting a Bluray anyways! CBS will not fork out for it end of. But it's still nice to see proof of concept ideas.

Obviously I do think for best effect the sample above should be viewed in full screen on YouTube with the quality manually set to 1080 from the player console, on second viewing just in the in thread view I too would say it's not up to much.

• Advertisement

Watched it full screen in 1080 on my 1080 screen - quality difference was negligible, read a few of the comments on the vid now and in agreement. One area to look at was the lips of people speaking - no difference, and that is what you would be looking at in any talky scenes
    Fails in anything more than a pretty motionless shot which would pretty much rule out most of any episode. Like I said fair dues but at the end of the day pretty much pointless. Would probably work better on the told

Here's TOS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwvjZP_YvsE

For Blu-ray they shifted colors and made some CGI changes but at the end of the day it's still SD with some minor enhancements.

Advertisement