Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

hardly HD, but an improvement none the less

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭Inviere

fritzelly wrote: »
    Watched it full screen in 1080 on my 1080 screen - quality difference was negligible, read a few of the comments on the vid now and in agreement. One area to look at was the lips of people speaking - no difference, and that is what you would be looking at in any talky scenes
    Fails in anything more than a pretty motionless shot which would pretty much rule out most of any episode. Like I said fair dues but at the end of the day pretty much pointless. Would probably work better on the told

Here's TOS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwvjZP_YvsE

For Blu-ray they shifted colors and made some CGI changes but at the end of the day it's still SD with some minor enhancements.

So you're comparing this fan-made AI upscaling effort using bedroom coding, to a multi-million dollar studio based remaster? Ah, I see now.

fritzelly wrote: »
    For Blu-ray they shifted colors and made some CGI changes but at the end of the day it's still SD with some minor enhancements.

Hmm, no. It was a studio level remastering, which rescanned the original 35mm film (waaaaay higher resolution than SD), and professionally cleaned everything up. It is definitely not just a cleaned up SD film.
    The original 35mm film canisters of each episode were pulled from the archives and freshly scanned at 2K. The film was then digitally cleaned up by removing dirt and scratches and given a new color grading.

https://trekmovie.com/2016/09/06/retrospective-the-original-series-remastered-project/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

It's really hard to see any difference at all on my computer. My screen is only 720p-ish so even at fullscreen the actual images are less than SD because the rest is just the black border. You'd probably need to watch it in 2k on a 2k monitor to see the HD side in HD.

• Advertisement

a poster I made for what we left behind

3743ba1189695984.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Inviere wrote: »
    Can.not.wait

Really, really looking forward to this.

I absolutely love watching interviews with Avery Brooks. The man is just mental in the best possible way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That eccentricity definitely bled through into his performance & I couldn't imagine anyone else bringing that same kind of magnetic, slightly unhinged charisma to the role. 'Better' actors wouldn't have been half as electric.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

A lot of the clips in that trailer look a lot like the TNG remaster. Would really love for them to give the series the TNG treatment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

Trouble relaxing? Can't sleep? Bird and whale song not doing it for you?
    Here, have 8 hours of TOS bridge ambience.

And of course TNG

Personally, I prefer TOS, but man what a noisy bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,122 ✭✭✭✭flazio

New animated series in the works for Nickelodeon.
    https://intl.startrek.com/news/star-trek-nickelodeon-animation

• Registered Users Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

flazio wrote: »
    New animated series in the works for Nickelodeon.
    https://intl.startrek.com/news/star-trek-nickelodeon-animation

So that makes two new animated series now as well as Discovery, the Picard series and possibly a Pike on the Enterprise series. So there could be at least 5 Star Trek series in the near future on the air.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

AMKC wrote: »
    So that makes two new animated series now as well as Discovery, the Picard series and possibly a Pike on the Enterprise series. So there could be at least 5 Star Trek series in the near future on the air.

And the Section31 show....

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

And possibly the Nicolas Myers Khan show.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Said it before, but I suspect some of those planned shows will be canceled; only Discovery season 3 and the Picard show are actually in honest-to-goodness production. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Section 31 show, for instance, is quietly canned while nobody's looking.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Said it before, but I suspect some of those planned shows will be canceled; only Discovery season 3 and the Picard show are actually in honest-to-goodness production. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Section 31 show, for instance, is quietly canned while nobody's looking.

Fingers crossed anyway, along with the Kahn show. The only show I'm remotely interested in (apart from Picard) is a Pike show, set on the pre-Kirk Enterprise. The S31 concept was utterly mauled by Discovery, and we don't need any Kahn backstory at all...reminds me of Solo in the Star Wars world, a film absolutely nobody asked for.

My latest pic on my site.

How the original pilot episode could have appeared in an alternate universe....lol

7045f61205390274.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Is anywhere in Ireland showing the DS9 documentary?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Is anywhere in Ireland showing the DS9 documentary?

Not sure, but I'm after knocking out of work early to go watch the digital edition. It's been so long since I backed this I'd forgotten all about it until I saw the email this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

What's the story with availability outside of Kickstarter?

Will it be (or has it been) released publicly?

Goodshape wrote: »
    What's the story with availability outside of Kickstarter?

Will it be (or has it been) released publicly?

I definitely hope there’s legit ways to watch this

• Registered Users Posts: 45,817 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

https://movies-at.ie/event/what-we-left-behind-looking-back-at-star-trek-deep-space-9

What we left behind is being shown in Movies@ (Dundrum certainly, not sure on Swords or others) on June 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

On a Wednesday? :(

Ms

IvySlayer wrote: »

Its been shown three times do so just get that day off if you can. You have over a month to plan for it. So plenty of time to ask for it off.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Will b going to this, looking forward to it

IvySlayer wrote: »

I know right :( I then tempered my disappointment by reminding myself that most "movies-at" cinemas are full of selfish ignorant assholes. While it'd be amazing to see on the big screen, I feel I'll enjoy it far more at home. I just hope there'll be a timely/legit way to pay and view it at home...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭starvin

It’s on in the Lighthouse Cinema as well. Have my tickets booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

starvin wrote: »
    It’s on in the Lighthouse Cinema as well. Have my tickets booked.

Tickets close to selling out after already moving to a bigger screen, and apparently it's unlikely they'll do another so get moving if you haven't grabbed one already!

• Advertisement
    Ms

The TOS episode The Managerie Part 2 on Horror channel this evening. Would have post about part 1 yesterday except I only caught the last 20 mins of it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement