Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Rawr wrote: »
    I'm unsure why he wasn't made engineer in Season 1. The Enterprise D didn't appear to have a permanent Chief Engineer during the first year.

Allegedly, Argyle was being considered as the permanent Chief Engineer until the actor was found to be spoofing fan letters to encourage the producers.

From Wil Wheton's recollection:
    Behind the Scenes Memory: The Chief Engineer of the Week in this episode was Argyle, played by Biff Yeager. I don't know if it's entirely true (and this is recalled over twenty years, through the memory of a 14 year-old) but I remember hearing that Biff was under consideration to become a permanent Chief Engineer, until the producers found out that he (or someone acting on his behalf) had encouraged Trekkies to write letters asking to have him on the ship full time. There's nothing wrong with a letter-writing campaign, but it helps if the letters come in after your episode has aired. Yeah, apparently the letters came in before this show went out, and some Trekkies complained that they were spammed via mail (this was well before e-mail was widely used) and those two factors sent Chief Engineer Argyle -- and Biff -- to the Cornfield.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

so wesley is a gossip monger in real life as well

what a surprise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I thought it was cos she was pregnant?

Nope....this is where I read it

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Beverly_Crusher

Long read so scroll down near the bottom.

She always wore wigs too!!! Never knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So a well known and regarded Star Trek writer is involved in the new shows. Anyone want to guess what the second show is? I am going to say Star Trek The Pike Years.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/07/09/star-trek-author-david-mack-is-consulting-on-lower-decks-and-something-classified/

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

AMKC wrote: »
    So a well known and regarded Star Trek writer is involved in the new shows. Anyone want to guess what the second show is? I am going to say Star Trek The Pike Years.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/07/09/star-trek-author-david-mack-is-consulting-on-lower-decks-and-something-classified/

It's probably the nickelodeon show

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Would the Nickelodeon show be "classified" though? How official is that one known to be on the way?

I'd like to think if they're making Pike they'd continue with live action. They have the actors and the sets for it already.

But 'classified'? Does make you think it'll be something we've seen before.

I dream... Captain Data of the Enterprise :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd wager that it's either: a Pike show, and the 'classified' element is that they can't discuss it until all the contracts & NDAs are signed; or else something new and still in conceptual gestation.

Ms

Goodshape wrote: »
    I'd like to think if they're making Pike they'd continue with live action. They have the actors and the sets for it already.

But 'classified'? Does make you think it'll be something we've seen before.

I dream... Captain Data of the Enterprise :)

Why would it be classified do if it was something we have seen before?

But we all know Data was destroyed in Nemesis and even do his experiences and memory's were transferred to B4 the essence of who Data was and what made Data who he was would not be there the way he speaks for instance and his subtle movements.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

But we all know Data was destroyed in Nemesis and even do his experiences and memory's were transferred to B4 the essence of who Data was and what made Data who he was would not be there the way he speaks for instance and his subtle movements.

If they did bring Data back (apparently they did in the books) they basically used a mentally challenged individual as disposable, to allow for Data to be overwritten into that body.

Goes against "Measure of a Man" and no better than Ira Graves in "The Schizoid Man"

• Advertisement

Just because they're not ready to announce that sort of thing (e.g. "it's has TNG/DS9/VOY characters") in a little tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

If they did bring Data back (apparently they did in the books) they basically used a mentally challenged individual as disposable, to allow for Data to be overwritten into that body.

Goes against "Measure of a Man" and no better than Ira Graves in "The Schizoid Man"
    Maybe they had a Denobulan engineer do it. They can be more than a little morally dubious if Phlox is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

100 Quatloos a wizard brings him back to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭corkie

Quentin Tarantino Says If He Commits to Directing ‘Star Trek,’ That’s His Last Movie
    Legendary "Star Trek" actor William Shatner has already given Tarantino his approval to make an R-rated entry in the space franchise.

10 Possibilities For Quentin Tarantino's Tenth And Final Film

So if he makes the hero mashup (Django/Zorro) mentioned before, that will signal he won't direct Star Trek Film.

I've never bought into Tarantinos talk of 10 movies and he's done. I can see him taking a break sure, but the itch of the creative spirit is hard to suppress for long. Then again, the man seems so pigheaded perhaps he would just up sticks and leave.

As to the Star Trek film, I dunno. Movie Trek needs to die for a while, let the TV franchises reignite the appetite for big screen adventures

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

CBS showed a trailer for the next Short Treks at San Diego Comic Con.
    They also put it on their youtube channel but I think it's locked down to the USA.

Here's TheTrekCentral twiiter account who just posted it:
    https://twitter.com/TheTrekCentral/status/1152658596968194050

It might get taken down by CBS.. i dunno

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

https://streamable.com/y64ne

That's a non geo-blocked version.

It only seems to show the Enterprise and a presumably standalone comedy/horror tribble one. But Discovery and apparently a Picard one exist.

Always willing to watch more Captain Pike Adventures!

All Eyes On Rafah

Ms

Ha don't show any weakness or they will eat you alive. Always news them cute little cuddly teddies were evil under it all.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ha don't show any weakness or they will eat you alive. Always news them cute little cuddly teddies were evil under it all.

Calling it now. Tribbles are the cousins of Gremlins.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

Well, that's Data/B4 confirmed to appear in the show.

All Eyes On Rafah

Rumours of a trailer showing Data, Seven of Nine and a Borg cube.

Jonathan Del Arco is back (Hugh the Borg)

Must be a Borg show?

All Eyes On Rafah

The Star Trek Picard thread has the trailer

Is that genuine? That art style is AWFUL. I see better, more interesting work on YouTube.

Also, H Jon Benjamin in Trek is exactly the thing I never knew I always wanted :D

https://trekmovie.com/2019/07/20/comic-con-2019-star-trek-lower-decks-characters-and-voice-cast-revealed/

"The bridge crew on Lower Decks thinks the show is about them, but it’s not"

That sounds like fun anyway.

Is this aimed at kids or a sort of older teenager / college crowd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Goodshape wrote: »
    Is this aimed at kids or a sort of older teenager / college crowd?

I've been called worse :)

Advertisement