Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,476 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Blergh. I mean maybe the humour will save it, if it's aimed at an older audience that is. Kid Trek I won't watch, no more than I stay clear of kid Star Wars. Those characters though, really uninspired art style.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I see ''Star Trek The Motion Picture'' is coming back to some cinema's. I have seen it in cinema but for anyone who has not maybe worth keeping on eye out for. I would love to see Star Trek 2, 3 and 4 in the cinema again all in a row. That would be great. Would also love to see ''The Undiscovered Country'' and ''Generations'' in the cinema after that I would be very happy.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

AMKC wrote: »
    I see ''Star Trek The Motion Picture'' is coming back to some cinema's. I have seen it in cinema but for anyone who has not maybe worth keeping on eye out for. I would love to see Star Trek 2, 3 and 4 in the cinema again all in a row. That would be great. Would also love to see ''The Undiscovered Country'' and ''Generations'' in the cinema after that I would be very happy.

I was lucky enough to see one to six in the same cinema. On the same day!

Ms

JayRoc wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to see one to six in the same cinema. In the same day!

How did you manage that and when?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

How did you manage that and when?

UCI Tallaght decided to celebrate the release of The Undiscovered Country by showing it along with all the other Trek films in one day. 14 smashing hours.

I'd only ever seen the rest on video so that was good fun. A load of us went.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I just finished watching the season 1 episode of TNG, The Conspiracy. I totally forgot that the ending goes full on Cronenberg.

Also, it's weird that they never really followed up on that thread. Or did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,001 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I just finished watching the season 1 episode of TNG, The Conspiracy. I totally forgot that the ending goes full on Cronenberg.
    Also, it's weird that they never really followed up on that thread. Or did they?

No there was no followup though they left it open. They went with The Borg instead.

Seems to have been disagreements in writing team about it.
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Conspiracy_(episode)

There was a trek novel which explained the parasites as mutant Trills.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

odyssey06 wrote: »
    No there was no followup though they left it open. They went with The Borg instead.

Well the Borg is a much more interesting villain so it was the right choice. I never heard the 'mutant Trill' angle. That's pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

In Star Trek Online they have infested the Vaadwaur. Whole storyline around it.

All Eyes On Rafah

Ms

In Star Trek Online they have infested the Vaadwaur. Whole storyline around it.

Well that should not have been too hard for them considering the Vaadwaur were almost wiped out and there was not that many left. I wonder did the Vaadwaur let them take over by any chance?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rawr

That one always stuck in my head:

"We seek PEACEFUL CO-EXISSSSTENSSSssssSSSssss"

(Also, I've only just recently discovered the uncensored version of his death....and damn! :eek:)

Apparently the staff writers wanted to have Season 1 finish with a lead-up to a conspiracy within Star Fleet, which would be a military coup of the Federation.
    But Roddenberry over-ruled them, saying Star Fleet officers would never do that, so they came up with the alien parasite angle to explain the actions \ power behind the coup.

Apparently the staff writers wanted to have Season 1 finish with a lead-up to a conspiracy within Star Fleet, which would be a military coup of the Federation.
    But Roddenberry over-ruled them, saying Star Fleet officers would never do that, so they came up with the alien parasite angle to explain the actions \ power behind the coup.

Woa, that would have been really interesting.

I wonder if "Paradise Lost" / "Homefront" in DS9 was a recycling of that idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

Rawr wrote: »
    I wonder if "Paradise Lost" / "Homefront" in DS9 was a recycling of that idea?
    Undiscovered Country too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Watching a few episodes of DS9 again the last few days and watching season 3's "Civil Defence" as I type this (the one where they accidentally trigger a counter insurgency program on the station that locks them all in and starts the self destruct program).

Watching Dukat lord it over them and squabble with Garak is brilliant stuff, and they eventually manage to deactivate the force fields and open the doors again and so a literal race to shut down the destruction sequence starts as they can't use the lifts or transporters..

.. But..... Dukat still has a ship out there right? With comms back up, why didn't he just beam Sisko and O'Brien (or himself!) to the right room and turn it off?

D'oh!

Still a great episode though :)

I thought that the station was rigged if Dukat tried to leave?

I thought that the station was rigged if Dukat tried to leave?

Yep but once the dampening field goes down with the forcefields, comms come back and he/they could have contacted his ship to do a site to site transport.

The only reason the crew didn't do it themselves was they lost the transporters when they overloaded the power grid

They could have contacted a runabout either, it is a bit of a plot hole. Easily fixable though if they threw in a line about the building overload interfering with transporters.

Evade wrote: »
    They could have contacted a runabout either, it is a bit of a plot hole. Easily fixable though if they threw in a line about the building overload interfering with transporters.

There's no guarantee that someone could have gotten to a runabout bay I suppose - or the Defiant for that matter (Worf hadn't arrived and taken up residence there yet. Pity!)

But they had a Cardassian ship with a crew probably trying to reach Dukat anyway when they lost comms earlier..

Ah I'm overthinking it yes but its still a good one all the same :)

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    There's no guarantee that someone could have gotten to a runabout bay I suppose - or the Defiant for that matter (Worf hadn't arrived and taken up residence there yet. Pity!)
    Runabouts seem to have an automatic transport to runabout function, so transport to a runabout and then transport to the destination from there.

Evade wrote: »
    Runabouts seem to have an automatic transport to runabout function, so transport to a runabout and then transport to the destination from there.

Fair point.. Especially as they used it only a few episodes earlier when we're introduced to the Jem'Hadar.

That's another great episode! Poor Odyessy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭Acosta

Ended up watching this after it appeared as a suggestion on youtube when watching the comic con stuff. Hilarious! Frakes is nuts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

William Shatner is coming to Dublin in March 2020 for showing of TWoK.

Tickets on sale Friday for the Bord Gais theatre.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Chris Obi, who played T'Kuvma, got arrested for a number of rapes and sexual assaults:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1159415/star-trek-actor-chris-obi-klingon-sex-assault-rape-arrest-London-Los-Angeles

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Watching a few episodes of DS9 again the last few days and watching season 3's "Civil Defence" as I type this (the one where they accidentally trigger a counter insurgency program on the station that locks them all in and starts the self destruct program).

Watching Dukat lord it over them and squabble with Garak is brilliant stuff, and they eventually manage to deactivate the force fields and open the doors again and so a literal race to shut down the destruction sequence starts as they can't use the lifts or transporters..

.. But..... Dukat still has a ship out there right? With comms back up, why didn't he just beam Sisko and O'Brien (or himself!) to the right room and turn it off?

D'oh!

Still a great episode though :)

I love how Dukat gets owned by his own program, courtesy of his old CO, Legate Kell:

DUKAT: I'll be back in say, twenty five minutes. Dukat. One to transport. Energise. (nothing) Energise!!.

KELL [on monitor]: Dukat, if you are seeing this recording, it means you tried to abandon your post while the station's self-destruct sequence was engaged. That will not be permitted.

DUKAT: This is outrageous!!

KELL [on monitor]: You have lost control of Terok Nor, disgracing yourself and Cardassia. Your attempt to escape is no doubt a final act of cowardice. All fail-safes have been eliminated. Your personal access codes have been rescinded. The destruct sequence can no longer be halted. All you can do now is contemplate the depth of your disgrace and try to die like a Cardassian.

Ms

So is there any episode of Star trek that brings a tear to your eye or makes you cry?

I just ask this as I just watched the DS9 episode '' The Sound of Her Voice'' Its one of my favorite's.

Its very sad.

I thought the wake for her funeral at the end was so sad but the speech from both Doctor Bashir and Chief O'Brien are excellent so relevant and true in real life as well.

So here's to Lisa Cusack.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

So is there any episode of Star trek that brings a tear to your eye or makes you cry?

I just ask this as I just watched the DS9 episode '' The Sound of Her Voice'' Its one of my favorite's.

Its very sad.

I thought the wake for her funeral at the end was so sad but the speech from both Doctor Bashir and Chief O'Brien are excellent so relevant and true in real life as well.

So here's to Lisa Cusack.

In that episode at the end O Brien says "someday we are going to wake up and going to find someone missing from this circle"
    The camera then focuses on Dax, who dies in the very next episode

Duet is prettty gut wrenching if you think about the Occupation... anything you put on screen probably wouldnt have same impact as what you visualise.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Duet is prettty gut wrenching if you think about the Occupation... anything you put on screen probably wouldnt have same impact as what you visualise.

that was based on the movie the man is the glass booth.

The episode the visitor is generally regarded as one of those episodes to bring a tear to ones eye

Advertisement