Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

In that episode at the end O Brien says "someday we are going to wake up and going to find someone missing from this circle"
    The camera then focuses on Dax, who dies in the very next episode

That's the one. Excellent speech. A year after that then Sisko is gone.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

that was based on the movie the man is the glass booth.

The episode the visitor is generally regarded as one of those episodes to bring a tear to ones eye

Another excellent episode and I agree it certainly brings a tear to the eye and more.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,991 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

that was based on the movie the man is the glass booth.

Wow. I see the parallels. Surprised I had never heard of that film.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Wow. I see the parallels. Surprised I had never heard of that film.

While I still have duet in the top 5 episodes of not just DS9 but all trek, I had seen the man in the glass booth in the 80s, so left an impression on me, and near the end of duet I cottoned on then to what the trek episode was doing, but it did not make it any less of a great episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭John DoeReMi

So who's going to see The Wrath of Khan and live William Shatner appearance in the Bord Gais? Just got a ticket, probably crap seat but at least I'll be in the same building as The Shatner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

So who's going to see The Wrath of Khan and live William Shatner appearance in the Bord Gais? Just got a ticket, probably crap seat but at least I'll be in the same building as The Shatner.

Think it's sold out already. I couldn't get tickets when i tried to book a couple just now on Ticketmaster. No idea he was so popular over here!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Aye sold out :( Kicking myself I didn't book this one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,476 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So looks like that CBS / Viacom merger has gone ahead, so all of the Trek IP is under one roof once more; hooray for byzantine corporation takeovers :D

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-star-trek-movies-you-dont-like-are-now-owned-by-the-1837212126

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Aye sold out :( Kicking myself I didn't book this one.

Feck it, you only live once. Booked London.

Standard tickets on sale again for Dublin there.

Ms

pixelburp wrote: »
    So looks like that CBS / Viacom merger has gone ahead, so all of the Trek IP is under one roof once more; hooray for byzantine corporation takeovers :D

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-star-trek-movies-you-dont-like-are-now-owned-by-the-1837212126

I am delighted by this if it all works out. Its Great news. The rights to the Movies and T.V series never should have been separated in the first place.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    I am delighted by this if it all works out. Its Great news. The rights to the Movies and T.V series never should have been separated in the first place.

amd of course makes things like getting DS9 in hd more likely, if still a huge long shot

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,476 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think the cost of the TNG remaster has already kicked the DS9 one into touch; maybe the recent documentary might have spurred a bit of goodwill & buzz but I'd be genuinely surprised if a remaster of any remaining untouched Trek series happened.

Mostly it seems like the advantage will be a full, unfettered ability to dip into the Trek canon. So in theory we could see Quinto, Pine or Urban appear in a Trek TV series (maybe Discovery if it returned to that timeline)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

TV-Trek already has a new Spock and Pike, though. Would be very strange to have a different actor if they did do any Kelvin-timeline stuff.

True, and Pine's quibbling over money and general tone has made it sound like he has no interest in returning to the role. Karl Urban returning as Bones would be kinda brilliant: I know he played the role quite broadly but it worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

To be honest I don't think any of that cast were good enough to chase after.

If Urban is willing then yeah, take him, but wouldn't be too bothered if he said no. Don't think any of the others would necessarily be first choice.

Goodshape wrote: »

If Urban is willing then yeah, take him, but wouldn't be too bothered if he said no. Don't think any of the others would necessarily be first choice.

Yelchin would have been and Urban is going nowhere for the moment with "The Boys" renewed

Ms

True, and Pine's quibbling over money and general tone has made it sound like he has no interest in returning to the role. Karl Urban returning as Bones would be kinda brilliant: I know he played the role quite broadly but it worked for me.

I thought he was trying too hard and overdoing it myself.
    I also did not like the way Scotty was done. He was made to look like an idiot instead of a miracle worker which the Scotty we all know and love was.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

You mean bump head Scotty, talk into the mouse Scotty?

AMKC wrote: »
    I thought he was trying too hard and overdoing it myself.
    I also did not like the way Scotty was done. He was made to look like an idiot instead of a miracle worker which the Scotty we all know and love was.

I think you can't play Bones without going broad though; the cranky, exasperated doctor naturally called for a bolder, extroverted performance. DeForest Kelly wasn't immune to chewing the scenery himself (his "City on the Edge of Forever" performance always struck as really OTT in an otherwise celebrated story), perhaps mellowing with age and friendship in the later Trek films. Urban played him definitely with an ... inspiration from Kelly, but no broader than the previous actor IMO. I think there needs to be that hint of "for f*cks sake" resignation in the character, and Urban nailed it. Again, Beyond got the measure better than the previous two films.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

The actress who played Lursa passed away a few days ago :(

Gonna watch Redemption tonight in honour of her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭corkie

Good News but may not have the effect some people maybe hoping for!?

Progress on shows/movies will progress under the same leadership.

a.k.a Alex kurtzman's plan and aesthetics.

corkie wrote: »
    Good News but may not have the effect some people maybe hoping for!?

Progress on shows/movies will progress under the same leadership.

a.k.a Alex kurtzman's plan and aesthetics.

I never read anyone who thought, nor suggested myself, the merger would result in a new creative direction. It has always tended to being reported as a piece of a IP housekeeping, in that all Trek properties are now under the same roof once more. Anyone hoping for something more were indulging in fantasy TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

A good friend of mine started watching Star Trek with Discovery, having only seen a few episodes of TOS when she was quite young.

During our chats about the show she got somewhat defensive during my rants about the flaws with Discovery and all those things that frankly mess up the cannon lore, and said the show was still Star Trek.

However, some 8 months later after she's binge watched TOS, TNG, Enterprise and is about to finish Voyager (will start DS9 afterwards) she went on a massive rant last night at a work party about the flaws of Discovery, and while saying it is itself a good show (it is), it just isn't Star Trek. The tech is off, the story is far too focused on the ABSOLUTE PLOT rather than anything that Star Trek has done, and the show is really more about Burnham than the crew, which flies in the face of all the other shows.

One thing I loved about each series, namely TNG, Voyager and DS9, was that there was an overall story line, however it was developed over seasons with small stories that just involved a more day to day story. Literally everything in Discovery is about Burnham, Spock and the big story with casual throwaway moments on other people and a total lack of actual discovering.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,304 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I was watching STD with my wife and for the giggles would put on a Nerdrotic (Youtube) review of the episode after , his channel hates STD with a passion. My wife bought into about half of what he said, the writing, some of the plot points not making sense, near the end she said that he seems to have a thing about there being too many women in the show. However once we watched the last episode , my wife said, yeah Discovery is all a bit forced

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    I was watching STD with my wife and for the giggles would put on a Nerdrotic (Youtube) review of the episode after , his channel hates STD with a passion. My wife bought into about half of what he said, the writing, some of the plot points not making sense, near the end she said that he seems to have a thing about there being too many women in the show. However once we watched the last episode , my wife said, yeah Discovery is all a bit forced

every political correctness box was ticked with discovery, in fact there has only been 2 white straight males , one in each season, pike and lorca and it ended badly for both.

The future is not promising for straight white males...lol

every political correctness box was ticked with discovery, in fact there has only been 2 white straight males , one in each season, pike and lorca and it ended badly for both.

The future is not promising for straight white males...lol

Pike goes on to command for several more years, and sacrifices himself for a bunch of young trainees (all after being told this would happen unless he changed him mind about the crystal)??

Pike has the biggest glory boner since Spock in WoK...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There's Spock, Ash Tyler/Voq, Saru, Sarek...

Oh sorry, they're being too PC by including non-human characters.

Bit of a cringe worthy exchange alright. It would be kind of funny if with all this Brexit crap, they ended up getting the date right though :)

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote: »

Nothing in the Kelvin timeline canon either that makes me want to see where it goes next. Not like the Prime timeline canon which is full of things I'm excited about seeing more of.

Advertisement