Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

When the Star Trek props and costumes were being sold off a few years ago did the studio keep any?

With the fan interest in more Pike and the catch up cameos in Picard it could be a good time for an anthology series. If STD hadn't already jumped past it a 29th century timeship might have been a good framing device.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Rawr

Evade wrote: »
    When the Star Trek props and costumes were being sold off a few years ago did the studio keep any?

With the fan interest in more Pike and the catch up cameos in Picard it could be a good time for an anthology series. If STD hadn't already jumped past it a 29th century timeship might have been a good framing device.

I'm guessing their prop-masters can probably make decent copies of the earlier stuff. The TNG uniforms shown in the Picard trailers were probably remade for the show, and looked pretty accurate.

Rawr wrote: »
    I'm guessing their prop-masters can probably make decent copies of the earlier stuff. The TNG uniforms shown in the Picard trailers were probably remade for the show, and looked pretty accurate.
    But that costs money. If they still had a decent collection of older uniforms it would make it easier to have stories set whenever.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Are the new Short Treks on Netfliks?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Are the new Short Treks on Netfliks?

I've never seen them on there.
    I think Netflix never really opted to buy them, sticking only to the main crop of episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Rawr wrote: »
    I've never seen them on there.
    I think Netflix never really opted to buy them, sticking only to the main crop of episodes.

Think the shorts for season 2 are there. But not the latest ones with Spock and Pike.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The short treks that came between season 1 and 2 are under "Trailers and more". I haven't seen the post season 2 ones yet though. It was a couple of months after the last of the first batch of Short Treks that they made it onto Netflix.

I think Netflix got the last batch about a month before season two started.

Think the shorts for season 2 are there. But not the latest ones with Spock and Pike.

I had a look on my episode list now. I only see the 2 season folders, and in them I'm only seeing the main episodes.

I think Netflix tend to make a "Specials" folder for things like the Short Treks, but I'm not seeing one at the moment.

Stark wrote: »
    The short treks that came between season 1 and 2 are under "Trailers and more". I haven't seen the post season 2 ones yet though. It was a couple of months after the last of the first batch of Short Treks that they made it onto Netflix.

Ah my bad, I see them there now. Only the first batch too.

• Advertisement

It's under "Trailers and more". Quite awkward to get to if you're on the desktop web version of Netflix (which I'm looking at at the moment). I had to hover the tile for the TV show in the main listings page, then click on the down chevron that appeared in order to open up the menu with the extras. Doesn't appear from the normal episode list menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ms

A sad day in for Star Trek today and fans as writer DC-Fontane died today. She was 80 and most notable for writing for The Original Series.
    So while its not as sad as when we lost James Doohan, Deforest Kelly and Leonard Nimoy its still sad as its another bit of Star Trek gone.

http://www.treknews.net/2019/12/03/star-trek-writer-dorothy-dc-fontana-dead/

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

It's quite scary to look back at TOS and see the number of people involved who are no longer alive today.

Ms

Stark wrote: »
    It's quite scary to look back at TOS and see the number of people involved who are no longer alive today.

I agree and quiet sad too. I think some of them would turn in there graves do if they seen the JJ Trek movies or Discovery and I would not blame them if they did.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I agree and quiet sad too. I think some of them would turn in there graves do if they seen the JJ Trek movies or Discovery and I would not blame them if they did.

I was about to say "Ah here" to this but I think Jimmy Doohan would be unimpressed, to be honest.

The man seemed acutely aware of just how differently Trek seemed to connect with the fsns

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Don't think we can rightly predict what the departed members of TOS would have thought of JJ/Discovery era, and projecting our own opinions onto the dead is poor form IMO :)

Nimoy acted in both JJ's films, so maybe he shared some opinions about the features himself, but otherwise the only thing I'd be confident in saying about opinions from the grave: they would all be AMAZED at how far FX & budgets had come that Trek could look that "realistic", and that cinematic. It's a far cry from bakelite props and cardboard sets. But even then who knows; people often pine for "simpler" times of slim budgeted innocence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭Inviere

pixelburp wrote: »
    But even then who knows; people often pine for "simpler" times of slim budgeted innocence.

Or, y'know, coherent writing even.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Inviere wrote: »

tos-thewaytoeden4.jpg?w=584

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This might go on for a while... :D

• Advertisement

PpkiT-1461263421-821-blog-trek_spocksbrain_main_1200.png

The writing quality in TOS dropped a lot in the 3rd season. Nimoy is on record anyway saying he thought the 3rd season was a pile of **** and I think so is Doohan.

Not that it was totally terrible, you still had quality episodes like "The Enterprise incident", "The Tholian Web" and "All our yesterdays". But you also had the likes of "Spock's Brain", "Plato's stepchildren", "The way to eden", "And the children shall lead" all in the 3rd season.

Again, who can say what writers no longer with us think? To do so is simply projection; and if one thing does hold any truth, it's that writers, directors, artists, etc. are often reluctant to dump on their fellow professionals.

Maybe DC Fontana loved Discovery, and saw past its failures, who knows? If she didn't give an opinion, it's speculation otherwise.

I just saw the post about DC Fontana, that is truly upsetting. She has never gotten enough credit for being a woman writing for that show, in the 60s.

Absolute pioneer and great writer.

A sad day in for Star Trek today and fans as writer DC-Fontane died today. She was 80 and most notable for writing for The Original Series.
    So while its not as sad as when we lost James Doohan, Deforest Kelly and Leonard Nimoy its still sad as its another bit of Star Trek gone.

http://www.treknews.net/2019/12/03/star-trek-writer-dorothy-dc-fontana-dead/

Dude, she was in Trek from the start. She's just one step down from the Great Bird, tbh

I just saw the post about DC Fontana, that is truly upsetting. She has never gotten enough credit for being a woman writing for that show, in the 60s.

Absolute pioneer and great writer.

Star Trek & Doctor Who are two similar cases in being SciFi franchises significantly or effectively pioneered by unheralded women behind the scenes (DC Fontana & Verity Lambert / Delia Derbyshire respectively).

As you say Fontana never quite got the same credit; but I openly admit to not even knowing she WAS a woman until relatively recently, given she went by "DC" - that in of itself not uncommon for female writers, masking their gender to avoid bias or scrutiny.

Goodshape wrote: »
    tos-thewaytoeden4.jpg?w=584
    This might go on for a while... :D

Ah you could argue that for any show, they all have their duds. Are we to say DS9 had bad writing because of this...

allamaraine-movealonghome.jpg
    Again, who can say what writers no longer with us think? To do so is simply projection; and if one thing does hold any truth, it's that writers, directors, artists, etc. are often reluctant to dump on their fellow professionals.

Maybe DC Fontana loved Discovery, and saw past its failures, who knows? If she didn't give an opinion, it's speculation otherwise.

I wasn't stating what anyone else thinks. Your comment that perhaps "people often pine for simpler times of slim budgeted innocence", is what I was replying to; ie, the budget of a show I couldn't care less about, coherent writing is something I feel is sorely lacking re Discovery.

Perhaps DC Fontana loved Discovery, perhaps she thought it was tripe, maybe she never even watched it...we'll likely never know. Fontana certainly has her name to more than a handful episodes of Star Trek across the years, good and bad, so I'd not consider her opinion of Discovery all that important. I think the failures of Discovery are pretty well publicised at any rate, be it showrunners changing, writing teams changing, fan reaction, disjointed/confusing writing, heading for what looks like a third 'reset' in as many seasons, and so on. The only opinion regarding Discovery that matters to me, is my own, and thus far, it's been nothing but disappointing on all fronts.

Ah you could argue that for any show, they all have their duds. Are we to say DS9 had bad writing because of this...

Yes :)

I think that's the point – they all had bad writing and bad episodes. It's easy to only remember the good stuff when you're looking back on it, but 'even' TNG was considered absolute horse-**** by many for a couple of seasons after it launched. Same with DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, and now Discovery.

And that's just to say I'm not sure anyone would "turn in there graves do if they seen the JJ Trek movies or Discovery".

There's good stuff, there's bad stuff. Par for the course.

Goodshape wrote: »
    Yes :)

DS9 hadn't got bad writing. It was the most well written, character rich show so far in the history of Star Trek. Yes, it had bad episodes, like all shows, but to generalise that by saying DS9 had bad writing is, well, kinda ridiculous. If you mean it had examples of bad writing, well yes it does, but your post very much sounds like a generalisation. Apologies if I've mistook what you wrote.
    I think that's the point – they all had bad writing and bad episodes. It's easy to only remember the good stuff when you're looking back on it, but 'even' TNG was considered absolute horse-**** by many for a couple of seasons after it launched. Same with DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, and now Discovery.

You can't compare like for like...all previous Trek's started poorly, that I'd agree with. However, what they did do was work on character development, so by the time they got out of the 'new show rut', viewers at least had characters that were identifiable, unique, relatable, admirable, etc, in whatever one/combination you want to use. Discovery, is the Michael Burnham show. It's about to kick off with Season 3, and the sheer lack of character development for the majority of the other characters is a HUGE flaw in the approach of the show.

Yes, previous Trek's enjoyed more episodes per season, but that's all the more reason to not ignore character development. I probably couldn't name more than six characters off hand from Discovery, two seasons in. That's not good for a modern tv show. It's biggest failure for me though, is that it has no real soul or identity. All previous Star Trek shows had a core identity, which allowed the show to grow, even through the bad episodes. Discovery can't do that, because it just keeps resetting:

1) Prequel set before TOS - fine
    2) Klingon War arc - ok
    3) Mirror Universe arc - uh, ok, fine
    4) Section 31 arc - groan
    5) Red Angel arc - hmm, ok...
    6) Future Timeline arc....rolleyes

^^ That's a lot of arcs for 29 episodes. Again, high ambition, very very poor execution.
    There's good stuff, there's bad stuff. Par for the course.

Discovery badly, badly needs some of the former.

• Advertisement

I wasn't stating what anyone else thinks. Your comment that perhaps "people often pine for simpler times of slim budgeted innocence", is what I was replying to; ie, the budget of a show I couldn't care less about, coherent writing is something I feel is sorely lacking re Discovery.

Right, but you pulled my comment out of context; that about the only thing you might confidently guess writers on TOS would say about Discovery is that its FX are lightyears ahead of what they could have dreamed to have ... ... unless they're the kind of person that pines for the zero-budget days of SciFi, which I have seen from time to time.

Advertisement