Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

pixelburp wrote: »
    F*cking cancer, that's dreadful news so sad :(

His turn as Odo was phenomenal and perhaps had the show aired a decade later than it did, Auberjonois might have garnered more widespread mainstream praise. He brought a fantastic emotional range to a character intentionally alien and inscrutable, Odos double act with Quark legitimately one of the great pairings of Trek, period.

RIP.

One of the things i looked up tonight was the goodbye between him and Quark. He played his character so well and is standout in that series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

The husband of Marina Sirtis has also passed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I can' believe I have only seen this sad news of René Auberjonois passing now. My own fault.

I still remember the first time I seen him on DS9 and thinking wow cool character and then following him for the whole seven seasons and seeing his character grow. He was my favorite character in DS9.

RIP René Auberjonois. You will be missed. Another Star Trek legend gone :(

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Jason Isaacs Wants Racists to Stop Pretending to Be Star Trek Fans
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/jason-isaacs-wants-racists-to-stop-pretending-to-be-sta-1840417564
    “Initially when we launched Star Trek there were a bunch of voices pretending to be Star Trek fans online, complaining that we were social justice warriors, and that it was all too right-on, the MeToo generation, that we had a young black woman lead,” he told the Radio Times. “And they were exposed very quickly as a bunch of non-Star Trek fans, racist right-wing lunatics—because the real fans took to them as soon as the show started running.”

It is kinda wierd that people who want non-Star Trek material come to Star Trek for it.

Pushing boundaries where they could really felt like the Trek way. Like the Kirk / Uhura kiss being shown in some USA states but not others back in the day.

It's not as if there's not tonnes of non-Star Trek material for people who want it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭Inviere

Exactly, this is what Star Trek does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

That's a little disingenuous on his part. A lot of people, myself included, were disappointed that a lot of the cast and crew interviews leading up to it seemed to highlight "we have a black female lead." It doesn't matter. People shouldn't complain just because Michael is black but you don't deserve a pat on the back for her being black in the 2010s either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Evade wrote: »
    That's a little disingenuous on his part. A lot of people, myself included, were disappointed that a lot of the cast and crew interviews leading up to it seemed to highlight "we have a black female lead." It doesn't matter. People shouldn't complain just because Michael is black but you don't deserve a pat on the back for her being black in the 2010s either.

In America's cultural climate, it's still a relevant thing to bring up. Maybe not so much here where UK TV makes less of a fuss and is less trope driven, but TV in the US can still be highly templated and skewed in a certain fashion. We get the cream exported, but huge swathes of drama is square jawed Competent Men and Stepford blondes in the leads. Watch daytime TV and I challenge you to tell the blondes apart. I can understand why in promotions they made a big deal of a black lead (even if, as we know, this is not new for Trek).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

my issue with burham is not her sex or her color etc, its because she dominates the show

In America's cultural climate, it's still a relevant thing to bring up.
    But if people don't stop bringing it up it won't ever not be a big deal. It's like the anti-British sentiment you still sometime see here, people need to just get over it.

Watch daytime TV and I challenge you to tell the blondes apart.
    Is it ok to say you can't tell people apart because they have similar features now?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

my issue with burham is not her sex or her color etc, its because she dominates the show

This. I want more crew focused episodes. Less Burnham destined to save the universe.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

This. I want more crew focused episodes. Less Burnham destined to save the universe.

I think we all want that. That is also what Star Trek is about working together, teamwork, finding solutions to a problem by helping each other out.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Rawr

Total agree.
    I still think it would be possible to make a character-centric show in the Trek Universe, but I feel that they'd have to do it a lot differently than they had done in Discovery.

For a show centered around one charater, that character really needs to be somewhat likeable. Or at least built in a way that we are interested about their fate in the story. I think they really failed with this with Micheal.

I'm still uncertain if this is due to poor casting, writing, or both, but even though Micheal was initially interesting, that didn't last. More often she appeared to be the center of the show "because story" rather than any natural reason for that focus to be on her. Season 2 was a classic example of this. She really didn't need to be the Red Angel for a story like that to work, but "because story" she was...
    It would have made more sense to focus on a character dealing with the Trek universe, than have that Trek Universe focus itself on that character...if that makes any sense....

In that same theme, she really didn't need to Spock's half-sister for her character to work. But since this Trek Universe is focused on her, of course she is. No doubt she's also been pen-pals with Cadet Kirk, inspired young McCoy to take up medicine and once taught Scotty how to re-write the rules of Physics. Stuff like this is really off-putting I feel.

If they can reverse course in Season 3, realise that the show having the Universe centering on Micheal isn't a good idea and spread out the character development so that we get more of the others, then there is some (small) hope for this show I feel.

But if she's "the Chosen One, Who'll bring Balance to the Force"...again....then, screw it I'll put my eggs in the ST:Picard basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭Inviere

Rawr wrote: »
    If they can reverse course in Season 3, realise that the show having the Universe centering on Micheal isn't a good idea and spread out the character development so that we get more of the others, then there is some (small) hope for this show I feel.

But if she's "the Chosen One, Who'll bring Balance to the Force"...again....then, screw it I'll put my eggs in the ST:Picard basket.

I dunno, I'm pretty jaded now with Discovery. They blew it imo. It'll take something very, very special to rekindle the open minded approach for the show I originally had. I'll give it a go, but I'm already not confident of enjoying it. Three seasons, three resets...where will it end?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Q reset button please, its the only option.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

But if people don't stop bringing it up it won't ever not be a big deal. It's like the anti-British sentiment you still sometime see here, people need to just get over it.

Not going to get too deep into the rabbit hole of where the line is drawn on some variance of representation, certainly not from a US perspective; and given recent events I'd be lying if I hadn't bought back into that anti British sentiment a little :D
    Is it ok to say you can't tell people apart because they have similar features now?:D

Ha, well if you watch network news or day time TV there's an aggressively generic look blondes are given that I can't work out. Same hairstyle and colour, same build, same clothing style, heck the same teeth (though Americans love their polar white, straightened chompers). Like I said we don't necessarily pick it up cos we get the good stuff, but there is a weirdly emphasised type of whiteness that's common in American TV.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Syd Mead just died.

Aside from his work on the TMP, he did a whole load of other legendary sci-fi, such as Aliens, Tron, Blade Runner and Short Circuit.

https://kotaku.com/syd-mead-has-died-1840730705

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Are they getting art students to direct these now, everything about that screams amateur.

I think it's the trailer, it's the editing of it that's weak IMO. Not exactly stirring the blood that the story's worth watching.

• Advertisement

I think it's the trailer, it's the editing of it that's weak IMO. Not exactly stirring the blood that the story's worth watching.

Fingers crossed, honestly. It's a terrible trailer but seeing the effect on civilian kids, of an emergency, will flesh out the universe.

Is this Short Trek a Disc or Picard related one?

Star Trek and kids. I think we will probably throw this on the Wesley/Naomi/Jake pile of bad episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Is this one supposed to be part of the build up to Picard?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Star Trek and kids. I think we will probably throw this on the Wesley/Naomi/Jake pile of bad episodes.

Looks like it will be this short Trek season's "runaway".

Goodshape wrote: »
    Is this one supposed to be part of the build up to Picard?

Yep. Its where Mars gets bombed out of existence.

All Eyes On Rafah

Anyone reading the Countdown comics for this show?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

You take that back about Jake!

You take that back about Jake!
    Kid Jake is bad. Adult Jake had a few good episodes.

Kid Jake is bad. Adult Jake had a few good episodes.

Still better than Wesley!!

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

Still better than Wesley!!
    Absolutely.

Advertisement