Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Ok, so it is actually the respective actors (Alexander Siddig, Nana Visitor and Andrew Robinson) but it still surprised me when I discovered it this evening.

So it got me thinking, are there any other interesting 'unions' of the Star Trek actors that anyone knows about??

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

alproctor wrote: »
    Ok, so it is actually the respective actors (Alexander Siddig, Nana Visitor and Andrew Robinson) but it still surprised me when I discovered it this evening.

So it got me thinking, are there any other interesting 'unions' of the Star Trek actors that anyone knows about??

What ? ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

they were married
    He changed his name from Al Fadir to Siddig so that they would have their names next to each other in the credits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

He changed his name before marring Visitor, it was an acting name thing for English speakers.
    Lost on the Andrew Robinson reference.

He changed his name from Siddig el Fadil to Alexander Siddig because, in his own words, people couldn't pronounce 'el Fadil' :confused:

His birth surname is, wait for it, Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi .

He married Nana Visitor in 1997, and they had a son, Django, before being divorced in 2001. The godfather to that child is Andrew Robinson, who played Garak.

Source: IMDb

• Advertisement

Never knew that he is Malcolm McDowell's nephew

Oh and Tom Hardy and Linda Park had a long term relationship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Just watched Covenant, a season 7 gem from DS9. Dukat is such an addictively brilliant character to watch. He really is the bad guy you love to hate - well spoken, eloquent, intelligent, driven, charismatic & all consuming. He's so bloody well written & acted, I often find myself rooting for him in a weird way.

Sometimes too, I often wonder if some of the things he believes actually might have some truth to them. Would the Bajorans have been worse off with someone else in administration? He did order all labour camps to reduce output by 50%, he abolished child labour, & the death rates fell by 15% within his first six months in charge...

Dukat was one of DS9s standout characters, both Alaimo and Robinson played their characters so well that they were the standout characters in almost any scene they were in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hang on...Garak was only in 37 episodes? I'd thought he was in it far more often.
    EnterNow wrote: »
    Sometimes too, I often wonder if some of the things he believes actually might have some truth to them. Would the Bajorans have been worse off with someone else in administration? He did order all labour camps to reduce output by 50%, he abolished child labour, & the death rates fell by 15% within his first six months in charge...
    While Dukat may not have been as bad as other Cardassians would have been, i think he overstated the "good" whenever he talked about it. I don't think anyone else ever talked about how he was a fair administrator. The real question is, did he actually want to help them, or did he just want to be seen as helping them.

Fantastic character though, up there with the best Star Trek characters ever.

Kiith wrote: »
    While Dukat may not have been as bad as other Cardassians would have been, i think he overstated the "good" whenever he talked about it. I don't think anyone else ever talked about how he was a fair administrator. The real question is, did he actually want to help them, or did he just want to be seen as helping them.

Part & part of the same thing, & lends to the brilliance of the character. Do I believe he wanted to help lessesn the horrors of the occupation? No, probably not deep down. If I were to guess I'd say it was a ploy to try & get the Bajorans to see him more as a caring/loving oppressor, rather than to actually help them.

He really was Sisko's opposite, in every way.

Also to backtrack slight to 'In a Pale Moonlight', to those who would villafy Sisko for greenlighting the idea to have a fake holo recording made to get the Romulans to join the war...your missing one very important line, "I'll have to clear that with Starfleet..." ;)

• Advertisement

Also to backtrack slight to 'In a Pale Moonlight', to those who would villafy Sisko for greenlighting the idea to have a fake holo recording made to get the Romulans to join the war...your missing one very important line, "I'll have to clear that with Starfleet..." ;)

Starfleet approved the plan but what got me was Siskio might have had more of an issue with how much of the plan turned against him, he was guilty about the subterfuge but the backup plans made by Garak without telling him weren't approved by Starfleet.

Great episode.

Starfleet approved the plan but what got me was Siskio might have had more of an issue with how much of the plan turned against him, he was guilty about the subterfuge but the backup plans made by Garak without telling him weren't approved by Starfleet.

Great episode.

The subterfuge of the creation of the holo recording? Guilty? Maybe, but only of bringing it to a higher authority for approval.

The backup plans by Garak were approved neither by Sisko or Starfleet...& only the masterful treachary of Garak can be held responsible for that :D

The subterfuge of the creation of the holo recording? Guilty? Maybe, but only of bringing it to a higher authority for approval.

That could be an addition to it, his guilt for the subterfuge but also Starfleet going ahead with with it, approving something they generally wouldn't have but given their desperation the lines were crossed.
    The backup plans by Garak were approved neither by Sisko or Starfleet...& only the masterful treachary of Garak can be held responsible for that :D

Not necessarily, the original plan was agreed to by Starfleet so anything Garak did could have been taken as having Starfleet backing, including assassination.

On another note, I think BBC just said Patrick Stewart is the final person to carry the Olympic torch.

Not necessarily, the original plan was agreed to by Starfleet so anything Garak did could have been taken as having Starfleet backing, including assassination.

Hmm, I dunno. There was a fairly large departure from the agreed plan of action. Ultimately they are responsible, but it's not something they would have green lit had they known Garaks full intentions.

On another note, I think BBC just said Patrick Stewart is the final person to carry the Olympic torch.

Certainly beats Jedward

Reading wikipedia about DS9 & the actors etc & spotted this on Alexander Siddigs page
    In August 2010, he expressed his doubts about resurrecting Deep Space Nine, stating that he has "other ambitions

What's that all about??

Also, Odo is 72 years old :eek: [well Rene Auberjonois is :o]

Probably just a random question asked of him from someone with nothing to do with DS9 or Star Trek.

Nearly at the end of my DS9 run through now, just finished "The Changing Face Of Evil" which is the second battle of Chin'Toka :(

The Breen have joined the Dominion & detroy the Defiant :mad:

USS_Defiant_destroyed.jpg

Damar has created a resistance movement, & the war is almost over...the next few episodes in are just utterly epic.

I have to say I really like the character of Damar, he's brilliantly acted by Casey Biggs & turns out to be another standout DS9 character towards the end. That show is just brimming with recurring characters that most shows would be lucky to have as main cast members.

I had to pause the final DS9 episode to put this up. The scene is on Cardassia Prime, Garak, Damar, Kira & a Cardassian soldier are outside Dominion headquarters armed with explosives to gain access & storm the compound.

Garak - We have a problem.
    Kira - Just one?
    Garak - I'm afraid it's a rather large problem, the cargo door is made of neutronium.
    Kira - Then the explosives we brought...arn't even gonna make a dent?
    Garak - You see the problem.

Soldier - What do we do?
    Damar - I don't know. But I'm through hiding in basements!

Garak* chuckles/laughing

Damar - I fail to see what is so funny Garak!!

Garak - Wh...isn't it obvious? Here we are, ready to...storm the castle. Willing, to sacrifice our lives in a noble effort to slay the Dominion beast in its lair...and we can't even get inside the gates?

Garak, Kira & Soldier* begin to laugh uncontrollably

Kira - Maybe we could go up to the door, and ask the Jem Hadar to let us in? *still laughing uncontrollably

Damar - Or we just have them send the shapeshifter out to us!! *taking the laughter to a new high

Garak - Ahh as I said *laughter now deflating...we have a problem

To place such a funny scene in the middle of a tense, dark & forboding battle is just pure genius. It's a very funny scene :D

Kira is 55 today too.

• Advertisement

And so its done, DS9...is over :( I second guessed myself when starting this run through, thinking I was really in a DS9'y place & hadn't the patience to wait for it to get good. But I stuck with it, & to be honest, it doesn't take very long at all to get good...really really good.

While its still fresh in my mind I'll say this. To anyone who doubts the series, or thinks its not good...I'm sorry, but your completely wrong. Star Trek, really doesn't get, any better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's my favourite too. There are great episodes of TNG, Voyager and Enterprise no doubt, but I am a sucker for arcs. DS9 did this better than any of them and it had more character growth than the others. Still makes me sad thinking about the end. :(

Atleast we got 7 seasons though. Plenty of great shows don't even get 2 nowadays. Atleast thats something. :)

I think it's also the most accessible, atleast after season 1. My mother was not a trekkie at all but I remember her being very moved by the ep where poor old Miles gets locked in that virtual prison for years and years and they make him kill his friend.....and then when he comes out he is all mentally broken and hiding his food at the dinner table.

I think that was the moment she realised that trek had some actuall story telling in it and wasn't all tachyon this and deflector that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

That ending reminded me of The Visitor a bit too much for comfort - brave going out on a massive downer like that but brave is what that show was all about. Sisko makes a comeback in the DS9 books though so it's all good.

Goldstein wrote: »
    That ending reminded me of The Visitor a bit too much for comfort - brave going out on a massive downer like that but brave is what that show was all about. Sisko makes a comeback in the DS9 books though so it's all good.

Funny you should mention that, I had the same thought today. It was kind of reminiscent of The Visitor, in the way that Sisko ends up not quite lost, but no found either.

Also, having watched the entire series in a fairly short amount of time...the standout episode is The Visitor....by a long way too. As much as I enjoy long twisted story arcs, the story of a sons love for his father & the pain of his loss, eclipses every other episode by far & away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Goldstein wrote: »

Not a fan of the ending for the differing characters myself. Was a bit of a damp squib of an ending.

Much preferred the endings of TNG and Voyager myself. Does not detract from the overall brilliance of DS9 though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Much preferred the endings of TNG and Voyager myself. Does not detract from the overall brilliance of DS9 though.

Voyager? Really? I hated the ending of Voyager. 7 seasons trying to get home for a 10 second conversation with Admiral Paris and a quick shot of Earth? That's the payoff? I was royally pissed at that :mad:

TNG had the best ending, with Picard finally joining the poker game with the crew. DS9 was a close 2nd for me.

I can't stand the Voyager ending, it took the already neutered Borg to a new low.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

Kiith wrote: »
    Voyager? Really? I hated the ending of Voyager. 7 seasons trying to get home for a 10 second conversation with Admiral Paris and a quick shot of Earth? That's the payoff? I was royally pissed at that :mad:

TNG had the best ending, with Picard finally joining the poker game with the crew. DS9 was a close 2nd for me.

That part of the Voyager ending did not bother me. It was the Janeway goes back in time bullcrap after watching it for 7 years, despite some God awful episodes. I still like voyager, but it could have been so much more.

The writers conversation must have went like this

Writer 1: "how are we gonna end this thing?"...
    Writer 2: "Hummmmm.... I know... wait for it... time travel and the borg" "Perfect.. lets all go down the pub"

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

I had to pause the final DS9 episode to put this up. The scene is on Cardassia Prime, Garak, Damar, Kira & a Cardassian soldier are outside Dominion headquarters armed with explosives to gain access & storm the compound.

Garak - We have a problem.
    Kira - Just one?
    Garak - I'm afraid it's a rather large problem, the cargo door is made of neutronium.
    Kira - Then the explosives we brought...arn't even gonna make a dent?
    Garak - You see the problem.

Soldier - What do we do?
    Damar - I don't know. But I'm through hiding in basements!

Garak* chuckles/laughing

Damar - I fail to see what is so funny Garak!!

Garak - Wh...isn't it obvious? Here we are, ready to...storm the castle. Willing, to sacrifice our lives in a noble effort to slay the Dominion beast in its lair...and we can't even get inside the gates?

Garak, Kira & Soldier* begin to laugh uncontrollably

Kira - Maybe we could go up to the door, and ask the Jem Hadar to let us in? *still laughing uncontrollably

Damar - Or we just have them send the shapeshifter out to us!! *taking the laughter to a new high

Garak - Ahh as I said *laughter now deflating...we have a problem

To place such a funny scene in the middle of a tense, dark & forboding battle is just pure genius. It's a very funny scene :D

Thanks for that! Making me want to start DS9 again, might skip the first few seasons though!

• Advertisement

johnmryan wrote: »
    Thanks for that! Making me want to start DS9 again, might skip the first few seasons though!

Ah don't!!! I know they're not universally acclaimed, (universally!!!! see what i did there :pac: )

But i'm on a DS9 run through, having never seen each episode in it's proper chronological order, and after reading this thread, I considered starting at S3, but I started from S1, Ep1, and I'm glad I did now (I'm on S3 Ep6) - Granted there weren't many spectacular episodes, but I'm glad I decided to watch the entire thing in it's entirety.

Advertisement