Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

That can't be the final title can it? That would be infinitely more confusing than the episodes with the same titles.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Evade wrote: »
    That can't be the final title can it? That would be infinitely more confusing than the episodes with the same titles.

Presumably a place holder or truncated for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Evade wrote: »

Star Trek: Enterprise, the new one.

All Eyes On Rafah

Star Trek: Enterprise, the new one.

Could just be
    The Original Series: The Early Years

Could just be
    The Original Series: The Early Years

Star Trek, The Original Series, the prequel years.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Or we've misjudged it, and we're getting the Picard style return of Scott Bakula....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

GSPfan wrote: »
    For me Voyager missed an opportunity to use the Maquis angle to its full potential. Chakotay being a native american was such a boring part of the show imo.
    I don’t mean to cross franchises but the relationship between Colonel Young and Doctor Rush was brilliantly done on Stargate Universe. Both never quite trusted the other and it flared up from time to time but both needed each other. The split between military and civilians was always a factor when deciding how to make decisions that effected all of them.
    Stargate Universe was imo a brilliant show that got cut short way too early.

Acoochyama (or something like that) we are far from the land of our father's........

Got very tired very quickly

GSPfan wrote: »
    Ah it’s definitely fun to speculate. Pity they didn’t use his annoyance at not getting promoted as a way to disillusion him to starfleet and have him align with the Maquis or something like that. Definitely should have been harder for Janeway to maintain a starfleet command structure than it was. It’s like they all knew they’d get home within 7 years.

Well apart from Seska, she bailed fairly quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭corkie

corkie wrote: »

^^^ Cross thread re-post!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Rawr

corkie wrote: »
    ^^^ Cross thread re-post!

I'm pleased it is happening.

But....god, could they have maybe pitched a better title for the show? I'm getting a "Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons" vibe from that.

• Advertisement

Rawr wrote: »
    I'm pleased it is happening.

But....god, could they have maybe pitched a better title for the show? I'm getting a "Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons" vibe from that.

It seems to be called Strange New Worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Spear wrote: »
    It seems to be called Strange New Worlds.

I would say they have not even decided on the title for it yet but that's just a possible title for it if it is even happening.

I also seen today that there is a Star Trek Discovery movie in the works lol. That would be the first Star Trek move I would have no interest seeing in the cinema.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Very happy with news of Captain Pike show

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Strange New Worlds works for me, certainly feels like it might reaching for a more exploratory tone if we read too much into three words.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Inviere

pixelburp wrote: »
    Strange New Worlds works for me, certainly feels like it might reaching for a more exploratory tone if we read too much into three words.

Agreed, it hits the right notes...nostalgic, exploratory, adventure. I thought the "Captain Pike and the Enterprise" title was the name of it...sounds like an animated show for the under 5's.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well they did say they had animated shows in the works ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Precisely! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Michael burnham is in New Girl. She's sooooo different it's mad

bluewolf wrote: »
    Michael burnham is in New Girl. She's sooooo different it's mad

What, is she acting now? :D

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What, is she acting now? :D

proper acting. completely different
    no more wooden face

she says shtrong the same way which was kinda the only reason i knew it was her and looked her up

bluewolf wrote: »
    proper acting. completely different
    no more wooden face

she says shtrong the same way which was kinda the only reason i knew it was her and looked her up

Hmmm....lends some weight to the idea that Martin-Green may be a good actress, but has just been horribly directed / written for in Discovery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Martin-Green is a good actor, and I've seen it in Discovery before during brief moments, but she's saddled by the need to be the Lead Character. It's a classic problem in a lot of American TV fiction: you have an ostensible lead, who needs to be everywhere in the story or plot, but also has to carry the dramatic weight too. So you get these po faced characters with no wriggle room except to be The Dramatic Lead.

Nobody could carry off Burnham without coming off like a stick in the mud; cos that's literally what she's meant to be.

Ms

Anyone else think it strange that we never seen a small Borg Cube. In ''I,Borg'' the ship that Hugh and his 4 comrades crashed in was a small Borg Cube but we never actually see one. Maybe at the time the writers thought that all Borg vessel's were cube shaped be it big or small or maybe they just knew that a small Borg Cube would not be as imposing as a big Borg Cube. Myself I always thought it strange that the Borg would have any vessel with less than a few hundred drones on board as the smaller it is the less imposing it would be.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think you could make a great many statements with the prefix of "Voyager missed an opportunity in ...". That whole show was one big missed opportunity, frequently snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Ohh look at the deep ideological differences they've set up in the main char- oh no... no wait... yeah, everyone's friends now. Ok. Back to Alien Forehead of the Week, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

AMKC wrote: »
    Anyone else think it strange that we never seen a small Borg Cube. In ''I,Borg'' the ship that Hugh and his 4 comrades crashed in was a small Borg Cube but we never actually see one. Maybe at the time the writers thought that all Borg vessel's were cube shaped be it big or small or maybe they just knew that a small Borg Cube would not be as imposing as a big Borg Cube. Myself I always thought it strange that the Borg would have any vessel with less than a few hundred drones on board as the smaller it is the less imposing it would be.

Well there's the Borg probe, which was about the size of Voyager which would fit the role of a smaller Borg vessel.

Well there's the Borg probe, which was about the size of Voyager which would fit the role of a smaller Borg vessel.

I was thinking that too.
    Sure enough the standard Cube is probably the main Borg workhorse. Since the Borg do adapt to what they encounter, they probably had the smaller ships for different roles / environments. That Voyager-sized probe likely had a role where a larger Cube may not have been suitable. Entering asteroid fields for example.

Ms

Did we see one on screen do? I suppose it was in Voyager if it was on screen.
    Rawr wrote: »
    I was thinking that too.
    Sure enough the standard Cube is probably the main Borg workhorse. Since the Borg do adapt to what they encounter, they probably had the smaller ships for different roles / environments. That Voyager-sized probe likely had a role where a larger Cube may not have been suitable. Entering asteroid fields for example.

Yes good point.

Next question. How different do you think the Delta quadrant and more specifically Borg space would have been for Voyager had Picard and crew sent Hugh back to the Borg with the virus? Do you think it would have destroyed the Borg completely? Maybe by the time Voyager got to what was formally Borg space all that would have been left was dead planets and lots of abandoned or destroyed ships.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Next question. How different do you think the Delta quadrant and more specifically Borg space would have been for Voyager had Picard and crew sent Hugh back to the Borg with the virus? Do you think it would have destroyed the Borg completely? Maybe by the time Voyager got to what was formally Borg space all that would have been left was dead planets and lots of abandoned or destroyed ships.

Don't think so. We've seen many times that the Borg are able to limit contagion so it doesn't spread to the entire Collective. When Data planted the sleep command. When Hugh's individuality contaminated a Borg cube. Several times on Voyager, for example Icheb or the neurolytic pathogen that Admiral Janeway infected the Queen's complex with. The Borg cube that assimilated the ship with the Nads Wash agent on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Did we see one on screen do? I suppose it was in Voyager if it was on screen.

Yeah, Dark Frontier, I only rewatched it on Sunday!

Advertisement