Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Wasn't the Borg Sphere their "small" ship? They also had the Quen's ship, the diamond one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Kiith wrote: »
    Wasn't the Borg Sphere their "small" ship? They also had the Quen's ship, the diamond one.

I think some of the games they have a giant Pyramid ship which acts as massive assimilater for planets and their populations.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

There have been seven types of Borg ship seen on screen but I'm not entirely sure the one in Descent was originally a Borg ship.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Borg_starship_classes

I think some of the games they have a giant Pyramid ship which acts as massive assimilater for planets and their populations.

Star Trek Armada games have this as the Borg colony ship

https://starmadaii.fandom.com/wiki/Borg_Colony_Ship

latest?cb=20110805182523

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Evade wrote: »
    There have been seven types of Borg ship seen on screen but I'm not entirely sure the one in Descent was originally a Borg ship.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Borg_starship_classes

I would say the one in Descent most certainly was not originally a Borg ship. I would say they took it off some other race. That will remain a mystery do to how that ship came abut or where it came from.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Star Trek Armada games have this as the Borg colony ship

https://starmadaii.fandom.com/wiki/Borg_Colony_Ship

latest?cb=20110805182523

And in the sequel these blast the planet with borg nano things and assimilate it.

Pretty cool idea really.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The way the Borg were cobbled together at the entrance of the transwarp corridor in the Delta quadant had me thinking that maybe they would just break different sized bits of for missions as spaceships if they were needed.

And in the sequel these blast the planet with borg nano things and assimilate it.

Pretty cool idea really.

Finished 1 and playing 2, as part of the lockdown game run!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

AMKC wrote: »
    I would say the one in Descent most certainly was not originally a Borg ship. I would say they took it off some other race. That will remain a mystery do to how that ship came abut or where it came from.

Cant remember where I read it. Original draft of Descent did not have Borg in it but backroom team had already started on a new ship design etc... so they repurposed it for Borg.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

If the Dominion War mod is still around I remember it being good. Every time you click on the Defiant Sisko says "there's an old saying, fortune favours the bold"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Admldj

Pretty sure it was a mine layer, theres a picture of it in Voyager episode scorpion when seven proposes the mine that would infect a couple of light years with nanoprobes.

Evade wrote: »
    If the Dominion War mod is still around I remember it being good. Every time you click on the Defiant Sisko says "there's an old saying, fortune favours the bold"

Armada Fleet Ops will have it, if it's anywhere. I'll take a look

https://www.fleetops.net/

Edit: Found it on another mod site, will take a look

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Rawr

I was re-watching Scorpion last night, and something caught my eye that I hadn't noticed before.

340?cb=20181217025806&path-prefix=en

Seven refers to it as a Multi-kinetic Neurotic Mine. It's possible that this is actually some kind of gigantic guided Borg-bomb. Essentially a Borg fleet-killer in situations where gradual assimilation tactics do not work.

This would explain why they'd resort to using one against 8472.

2006_NYR_01778_0705_000().jpg

The armor plating on the Descent ship isn't too dissimilar to what you have on a Tactical Cube either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Inviere

^^ I never thought of it as a 'true' Borg vessel either. For me, Borg vessels are 'perfect' in their design, representing a symmetrical, harmonious, unified approach...exactly like the collective.

The vessel seen in Descent represented a breakdown in that harmony, a disjointed, fractured 'design' that symbolised what happened to some of the Borg after Hugh returned.

That's a good spot Rawr, but not enough to convince me it's an intentional Borg design - I'm going with a production member re-using something they found in a drawer with "Borg Shit" on it :o

Inviere wrote: »
    ^^ I never thought of it as a 'true' Borg vessel either. For me, Borg vessels are 'perfect' in their design, representing a symmetrical, harmonious, unified approach...exactly like the collective.

The vessel seen in Descent represented a breakdown in that harmony, a disjointed, fractured 'design' that symbolised what happened to some of the Borg after Hugh returned.

That's a good spot Rawr, but not enough to convince me it's an intentional Borg design - I'm going with a production member re-using something they found in a drawer with "Borg Shit" on it :o

Yea, I know what you mean. When that "Borg" ship turned up in Descent I kept wondering it this was an assimilated vessel from another race. I get the impression that the Borg would never waste a functional starship if it remained efficient to them. It's likely that the various classes of "pure" Borg-built vessels are complemented with a pick-n-mix fleet of assimilated vessels. There's probably a few Starfleet, Klingon and Romulan vessels in there too.

If I were to guess, it could be that these Multi-kinetic Neurotic Mines are the standard starship of a race the Borg overran. In their usual process of adapting other races to service them, the Borg may have made these ships their standard weapon of mass destruction, keeping them in reserve while using their usual Cubes for regular operations.

I fully approve of this

All Eyes On Rafah

I fully approve of this

On to Birth of the Federation now (well the Mods, as the original game is broken if I am being honest)

On to Birth of the Federation now (well the Mods, as the original game is broken if I am being honest)

You should try Stellaris with the Star Trek mod. Its absolutely stunning. Complete history plays out depending on your choices.

All Eyes On Rafah

I used to play a lot of Birth of the Federation back in the day.

Was often frustrated by having to start in the Stone-age with every new colony / member world I set up. I had a hard time accepting that your home worlds could have a high tech-level, but as soon as you shipped colonists out to a new world they'd forget everything. You'd end up waisting a load of turns and resources just trying to get that colony up the Empire's tech standard.

Really REALLY wished they had more "Empire-wide" research and development stuff. I think only Intelligence and a handful other things lent abilities to other worlds in your Empire.

You should try Stellaris with the Star Trek mod. Its absolutely stunning. Complete history plays out depending on your choices.

Just looking at Stellaris there, looks amazing. Feels bad that I will download this and immediately slap a Trek mod over it ha

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd like to give Stellaris a go, but Paradox Interactive don't make games with particularly easy learning curves.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'd like to give Stellaris a go, but Paradox Interactive don't make games with particularly easy learning curves.
    I started and immediately turned off. Will have to play the vanilla with tutorial, first

Actually Stellaris learning curve is very short compared to Crusader King's, Europa IV, Iron IV, etc

Once you get the basics down, you're flying.

Colony management

Research

Expansion

The Trek mod is amazing, starts off just before the Xindi attack and goes all the way up past the Dominion war. A lot of scripted events and scenarios.

I enjoyed playing the Dominion and conquering everything around me!

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭corkie

tumblr_pphursR2OG1r2fyxd_540.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Janeway is such a petty tyrant. I was watching the episode where the Doctor becomes famous among an alien race of assholes who are obsessed with maths and have no sense of art/music until the Doctor introduces it to them. The Doctor impromptu refers to her as Katherine and she goes on a power trip. Note he's senior staff, they've been in deep space for 6 years and she still has to pull rank. Then she makes some off the cuff remarks about him being "technology" but quickly draws in her horns when the Doctor makes an impassioned case for his status as a sentient being (moral plot armour is air dropped in for Janeway to save face). The alien species were giant assholes, very irritating.

Janeway is such a petty tyrant. I was watching the episode where the Doctor becomes famous among an alien race of assholes who are obsessed with maths and have no sense of art/music until the Doctor introduces it to them. The Doctor impromptu refers to her as Katherine and she goes on a power trip. Note he's senior staff, they've been in deep space for 6 years and she still has to pull rank. Then she makes some off the cuff remarks about him being "technology" but quickly draws in her horns when the Doctor makes an impassioned case for his status as a sentient being (moral plot armour is air dropped in for Janeway to save face). The alien species were giant assholes, very irritating.

I was think similar last week. I was rewatching Scorpion, and she was being a bit of a bull-headed tyrant in that one.

Chakotay: These Borg are up to something Captain. We should dump them on the next world with the weapon tech and just try our luck getting out of Borg Space.

Janeway: No! My deal with the Borg was perfect. They double pinky-sweared that they wouldn't assimilate us the very second they got everything they needed. They then said that we could "trust" them, while a nearby drone did air-quotes.

Chakotay: Captain! They're Borg, they'll totally assimilate us when they get everything they want! This is their ENTIRE deal!

Janeway: No! Follow my deal with them. *Especially* if I end up in a coma. The Borg *will not* betray us.

Later....the Borg betray them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Rawr wrote: »
    I was think similar last week. I was rewatching Scorpion, and she was being a bit of a bull-headed tyrant in that one.

Chakotay: These Borg are up to something Captain. We should dump them on the next world with the weapon tech and just try our luck getting out of Borg Space.

Janeway: No! My deal with the Borg was perfect. They double pinky-sweared that they wouldn't assimilate us the very second they got everything they needed. They then said that we could "trust" them, while a nearby drone did air-quotes.

Chakotay: Captain! They're Borg, they'll totally assimilate us when they get everything they want! This is their ENTIRE deal!

Janeway: No! Follow my deal with them. *Especially* if I end up in a coma. The Borg *will not* betray us.

Later....the Borg betray them.....

I'll watch that one soon. Janeway being bullheaded to the point of lunacy/stupidity was a definite theme in the show. Most of her solutions involved brute forcing a solution rather than thinking it through, like running through fire to get third degree burns which were magic'd away by the Doctor or flying Voyager through a binary star to get rid of the alien scientists. Her borg deal is another instance. And yet she gets promoted to admiralty for managing to get her crew stranded in the Delta quadrant.

managing to get her crew stranded in the Delta quadrant.

Can't see Picard making that decision any differently tbf.

Inviere wrote: »
    Can't see Picard making that decision any differently tbf.

Picard would have stayed behind with a hand detonator, if required, allowing the crew escape.

Or loaded the Tricobalt device into a shuttle

• Advertisement

Picard would have stayed behind with a hand detonator, if required, allowing the crew escape. Or loaded the Tricobalt device into a shuttle

Staying behind risks incapacitation and being unable to destroy the array. Loading the Tricobalt onto the shuttle hoping it can evade the Kazon ships that were attacking would also be a big gamble, not one Picard would have made, there was too much at stake.

Advertisement