Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Who would win in a fight, B'Elanna or Kira?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Who would win in a fight, B'Elanna or Kira?

Kira, no contest. A lifetime spent as a terrorist and playing dirty or pragmatically would mean the fight would start even, but the Banjoran pulling some sneaky sh*t to get the upper hand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

pixelburp wrote: »
    Kira, no contest. A lifetime spent as a terrorist and playing dirty or pragmatically would mean the fight would start even, but the Banjoran pulling some sneaky sh*t to get the upper hand

I agree. B'elanna didn't really seem stereotypically Klingon, in the same way as that old guy from ENT I think who said not all Klingons are warrior minded (which would explain how they actually managed to scientifically advance at all). B'elanna is just an engineering, science type, who wouldn't pass any remarks on combat if she was just left alone to focus on her work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Well they both had experience fighting Cardassians, B'Elannas Klingon physiology might give her an edge but Kira had no problem taking out Klingons in Way of the Warrior.

Kes is probably the strongest, Seven second.

Another howler, some Maquis Bajoran dude planted a subliminal message in Tuvok 7 years ago and it becomes activated, so Tuvok goes around putting people into comas to transmit the same message in order to recruit them. Then Chakotay and about 5 other former Maquis who have been "recruited" take over the ship with zero conflict (it seems star-fleet personnel in this ep are relegated to Janeway and that security dude with the phaser) and all the old Maquis uniforms are taken out of the closet (they look so very 90s with the colour/pattern configuration). Somehow Janeway's speech to Tuvok enables him to resist this seemingly very powerful subliminal indoctrination and he later stuns Chakotay and retakes the ship just like that. There's no combat between the Maquis (I guess there are only 5 of them so Tuvok could handle it) and there's no aftermath, everything goes back to exactly the way it was, it's almost like the crew of the Voyager are NPCs in terms of how they behave.

I actually enjoy these episodes for the nostalgia factor and because they're almost innocent compared to modern TV, but wow, was that lazy writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

that said I enjoyed the character ob B'lanna, she was funny in a sarcastic way, and possibly the best character in voyager, which was not saying much when you had kitchen rat neelix stinking up the show, janeway arrogant and bullish.
    I liked chakotay but boy was he given crap, kes was annoying.

Tuvok andB'lanna were the best characters imo, even chakotay and seven were better than the rest.

I have to disagree. The Doctor was by far the best character in Voyager also the one who grows the most. True no fault of his own I think Harry Kim was the worst. He simply was not given any decent episode where his character could grow and progress. He really should have been at least promoted to lieutenant by the time they got home even if he was still basically doing the same things on the ship. Janeway was the most arrogant,Neelix the most annoying, Tuvok the most boring with Chakotay a close second. Belanna was the most emotional and easily got angry. Tom Paris had some good episodes but was still very one dimensional as a character.
    All this from someone who really enjoyed a like Voyager when it came out and still do enjoy a lot of the episodes but also think the show could have been so much better.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This whole channel is pretty funny; taking outtakes and inserting them as straight faced moments from episodes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Oh sweet Jesus, I decided to watch a random episode of Voyager and picked S03E10 "Warlord". That cold open was even more gruesome than Picard "Stardust city rag".

Stark wrote: »
    Oh sweet Jesus, I decided to watch a random episode of Voyager and picked S03E10 "Warlord". That cold open was even more gruesome than Picard "Stardust city rag".

The goggles, they do nothing...and then they show it again at the end of the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Rawr

S8BKx84.jpeg

• Advertisement

Rawr wrote: »
    S8BKx84.jpeg

Low stress job though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭AllForIt

AMKC wrote: »
    I have to disagree. The Doctor was by far the best character in Voyager also the one who grows the most. True no fault of his own I think Harry Kim was the worst. He simply was not given any decent episode where his character could grow and progress. He really should have been at least promoted to lieutenant by the time they got home even if he was still basically doing the same things on the ship. Janeway was the most arrogant,Neelix the most annoying, Tuvok the most boring with Chakotay a close second. Belanna was the most emotional and easily got angry. Tom Paris had some good episodes but was still very one dimensional as a character.
    All this from someone who really enjoyed a like Voyager when it came out and still do enjoy a lot of the episodes but also think the show could have been so much better.

I agree, The Doctor was brilliant imo. He is such a good actor, prolly the best actor in all of Star Trek.

Harry Kim and that hairstyle, uggh. Not enough Brylcreem on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

meant to add the doctor to B'lanna and Tuvok.

I left out Kim because he was so boring I did not want to even think about him at the time.
    Voyager has 2 duds in Kim and Neelix, TNG had even more duds in both crushers, troi and the atrocious geordi, but TNg was better due Data, Picard and Riker. Worf did not really become good for me til DS9 as DS9 was the best show for developed characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Been watching a lot of TNG. The romulans - where the hell were they going with the shoulder pads?! Very 1980s.
    A lot of fashion on TNG and DS9 was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Evade

At least it was an attempt at a distinct look and not just off the shelf Emerson tactical gear.

Didn't think they were too bad.

Civilian apparel in general in the Star Trek universe looked like it was tie dyed in vomit.

Ms

I was watching the TNG Season 6 episode 20 ''The Chase'' today and while most of that episode is good if a little rushed did anyone else notice at the beginning when Professor Greyson goes after getting angry with Captain Picard for not joining him and they then go into warp but then get a distress call from professor Greyson's shuttle and they are there like that even do they had both gone different ways.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I was watching the TNG Season 6 episode 20 ''The Chase'' today and while most of that episode is good if a little rushed did anyone else notice at the beginning when Professor Greyson goes after getting angry with Captain Picard for not joining him and they then go into warp but then get a distress call from professor Greyson's shuttle and they are there like that even do they had both gone different ways.

Galen?

Yes but Star Trek is full of those "conveniently bumping into each other in the vastness of space" moments driving the plot.

• Advertisement

The warp factor scale doesn't seem to be linear. The distance between both ships going in the opposite directions at say warp 2 could very quickly be made up by the Enterprise turning around and traveling at warp 6+.

Stark wrote: »
    Yes but Star Trek is full of those "conveniently bumping into each other in the vastness of space" moments driving the plot.

Very few science fiction franchises have ever properly conveyed the sheer incalculable vastness of space. Probably because unless you have speeds that break physics, stories would spend entire multiple seasons just getting to a single destination :D

Ms

Evade wrote: »
    The warp factor scale doesn't seem to be linear. The distance between both ships going in the opposite directions at say warp 2 could very quickly be made up by the Enterprise turning around and traveling at warp 6+.

Ye but they or even Picard did not even say change direction or turn around.
    Galen?

My mistake. That's who I meant yes.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

My mistake. That's who I meant yes.

Why do I remember this crap but have to look up our Gateway and DNS servers every single time I create a VM??

I watched First Contact last night, it has a few odd issues but overall holds up pretty well.

I watched First Contact last night, it has a few odd issues but overall holds up pretty well.

Odd issue is vest wearing action Picard, for me anyway

Odd issue is vest wearing action Picard, for me anyway
    I like the captains waistcoat.

A couple of issue I had were:
    • The Borg weapons were very weak when they were firing on Bozeman.
    • The Borg Queen would have been just as effective if she was another Locutus in the Queen/Data scenes and it wouldn't have fundamentally changed the Borg.
    • Worf and the Defiant would have worked better if Worf was shaking down a new Defiant class ship, Utopia Planetia is right there anyway, instead of taking it away from DS9 to fight the Borg without Sisko for some reason.

I like the captains waistcoat.

A couple of issue I had were:
    • The Borg weapons were very weak when they were firing on Bozeman.
    • The Borg Queen would have been just as effective if she was another Locutus in the Queen/Data scenes and it wouldn't have fundamentally changed the Borg.
    • Worf and the Defiant would have worked better if Worf was shaking down a new Defiant class ship, Utopia Planetia is right there anyway, instead of taking it away from DS9 to fight the Borg without Sisko for some reason.

I meant this vest
    Jean Luc McClane

FC%2C%2BPicard%2B6.jpg

I would have preferred if any drone could have been the "Queen" and the embodiment "We are the Borg" voice, from the communications.
    None of this fancy entrance etc just the consciousness speaking through "elevated" drones. Kill one and the next just starts speaking with that voice.

That would have kept it being part of the collective consciousness and not the controller of it.

PS: it also would be as intimidating as fvck; no matter how many you kill, that voice just keeps on coming.

• Advertisement

I meant this vest
    Jean Luc McClane
    Yeah that's not a good look but to be very fair they had already established that it's 39+ degrees and very humid in Engineering.

Advertisement