Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

It is on YouTube now if you want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7lLUCwoev0

Watched a small bit of it last night. Frakes seemed to just want to shut up and enjoy the movie :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Finished Discovery season 2 last night on Netflix. Absolutely loved it and can't wait for season 3 when it lands. A great link here about the connection between Discovery and Picard which I hope they explore, especially about Control, the treat-assessment system used by Section 31 using AI. Discovery is now in the year 3187 in the Beta Quadrant. How cool! I hope Picard himself knows about Discovery through his mind melds with Spock and Sarek.

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/picard-discovery-star-trek-mcu-connected-universe-control-borg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

The Delta Flyer is called that because it was built in and for the Delta Quadrant, how have I never realized that before now...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Dont know if these have been posted before, but worth a watch.

The bloopers and outtakes, added back in to the TNG clips as if it were part of the show.....some of these are fantastic

STAR TREK INTAKES

https://www.youtube.com/user/powellr711/videos

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Rewatched Encounter at Farpoint. Why did she need to say the line twice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

She is feeling her way through the sentence the first time, finding the right words, and then repeats it more confidently. It's to show you how overwhelmed she is. Repetition in writing also serves as emphasis, though as you can see it's trickier to pull off in dialogue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Already posted in the "new series" thread, but repeating here: the Pike series has been given the greenlight from CBS (All Access, their streaming platform)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

pixelburp wrote: »
    Already posted in the "new series" thread, but repeating here: the Pike series has been given the greenlight from CBS (All Access, their streaming platform)

YES!!! Let's hope COVID and the impending financial issues dont mess it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Least of that character's worries.

Can't remember what show/film it was (think it might have been Galaxy quest but I can't find the scene) where they had an amazing scene where the ship is under heavy fire and the character parodying Deanna Troi shouts "I sense danger!".

• Advertisement

I'm excited to see this. Their Pike is a great character - capable and resourceful with realistic limits, and conscious of when he should take advice. It makes him a nice blend of Picard and Kirk. I hope the writing in the new show is up to scratch. Discovery just disappoints me more often than not.
    Stark wrote: »
    Least of that character's worries.

Can't remember what show/film it was (think it might have been Galaxy quest but I can't find the scene) where they had an amazing scene where the ship is under heavy fire and the character parodying Deanna Troi shouts "I sense danger!".
    I remember someone (maybe a stand-up comedian?) mocking that show for how they'd respond to the appearance of a huge warship off the bow by calling a conference meeting of senior staff. In some ways, it's very of its age, but the idealism of the show has left it with a lasting resonance with the fans. The ability to detect deceit is very useful, really, especially as their first resort was always to dialogue and mediation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I think the fact Pike knows his future could be an interesting take on things. Still has to care for his crew so nothing would really change in his approach to things.

So,

Episodes that fit into an hour.
    Optimistic and holding the ideals of the Federation
    Exploring and discovering stuff
    The Enterprise
    Cast who played Enterprise crew during Discovery

This ticks a lot of boxes

But.... I dont want to get overly excited. While I enjoyed Picard, I felt it could have been so much better.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just watching an episode of Stargate Atlantis here which had Colm Meaney in a recurring role as the leader of the Genii. Just copped the character's name is "Chief" Cowen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Rawr

I was doing a bit of a binge of Trek on Netflix lately, something to listen to while I did some work...and something caught me by surprise that I never realised.

Voyager Season 5 was full of really excellent episodes, as in really top-quality Trek. I'm finding very few duds in this season (they exist...but mostly well made stuff.) I'm starting to feel like I was a little too hard on Voyager...could it be that some of this stuff actually improved with time or is this some kind of nostalgia at play.

I watched all of this stuff new on Sky One back in the day, but I guess I didn't go back for repeats all that often.....
    There's still a lot about Voyager that annoys the hell out of me...and they did after-all inflict us with Fair Haven...but when they got it right, they were excellent.

Both Seasons 4 and 5 of Voyager were excellent imo. "Scorpion", "Year of Hell", "Living Witness", "Hope and Fear", "Timeless", "Latent Image", "Course Oblivion" , "Equinox" were all top quality stuff.

While not as good as TNG or DS9, never really felt like Voyager deserved the hate it got. Inconsistent for sure, and had its fair share of zzz episodes but also managed to deliver a lot of episodes that I've been happy to watch time and time again.

Rawr wrote: »
    I was doing a bit of a binge of Trek on Netflix lately, something to listen to while I did some work...and something caught me by surprise that I never realised.

Voyager Season 5 was full of really excellent episodes, as in really top-quality Trek. I'm finding very few duds in this season (they exist...but mostly well made stuff.) I'm starting to feel like I was a little too hard on Voyager...could it be that some of this stuff actually improved with time or is this some kind of nostalgia at play.

I watched all of this stuff new on Sky One back in the day, but I guess I didn't go back for repeats all that often.....
    There's still a lot about Voyager that annoys the hell out of me...and they did after-all inflict us with Fair Haven...but when they got it right, they were excellent.

Voyager and enterprise were widely slated by "experts" on forums and youtube.

The plus side that those people slated them shows was when i watched them i was pleasantly surprised..

As I always said people need to watch shows, so many people have slated trek series based on reports and reviews instead of actually watching them and making their own decisions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Think a wee bit reductionist. God knows YouTube is full of chancers and outrage merchants but dumping on later Trek ain't a stretch IMO. Voyager and Enterprises faults and flaws are well earned and criticisms justified. The few pearls or times the shows got their act together doesn't negate the slew of low points. Enterprise was broadly good by Season 4 but the damage was done. Fair enough if some can put the high points on a higher pedestal than others but I don't think it disguises the reality that both kinda stunk when they dropped the ball.

DS9 is a better example of revisionism, in being a show that got unfair sledging at the time, with a latter-day realisation it was actually a high watermark for the franchise. Can't see that ever happening with Voyager or Enterprise though.

I agree with you.

some people have already decided the new pike show will be more rubbish like discovery.
    My thought on this is if they are already deciding it is going to be rubbish, then they are biased going in to it.

I had good hopes for Picard, but was disappointed, in fact thought discovery was better than Picard, mainly due to the strong performances of the guest like Lorco and Pike, so pPike getting his own show bodes well.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Think a wee bit reductionist. God knows YouTube is full of chancers and outrage merchants but dumping on later Trek ain't a stretch IMO. Voyager and Enterprises faults and flaws are well earned and criticisms justified. The few pearls or times the shows got their act together doesn't negate the slew of low points. Enterprise was broadly good by Season 4 but the damage was done. Fair enough if some can put the high points on a higher pedestal than others but I don't think it disguises the reality that both kinda stunk when they dropped the ball.

DS9 is a better example of revisionism, in being a show that got unfair sledging at the time, with a latter-day realisation it was actually a high watermark for the franchise. Can't see that ever happening with Voyager or Enterprise though.

I think this is why Enterprise comes off better, though. It had hit its stride, had a purpose, and was driving it's story forward. They closed off the temporal nonsense with a very good season 3. Earth, Andor, Tellar, and Vulcan were all starting to talk and come together.
    Romulans were the real big bad and the beginnings of the Earth Romulan war were already starting to take shape.

Voyager though? It was always a victim of the return to reset TV, especially as it was a long form idea of the stranded ship, lacking friendly ports, and with conflicting crews.
    It should have straddled both forms; as they were flying past star systems you would have had the adventure of the week BUT the continuing arc would be the crew tension and the "on the fly" repairs to the ship.

It's the truly excellent episodes which even serve to drive these issues home.

Voyager though? It was always a victim of the return to reset TV, especially as it was a long form idea of the stranded ship, lacking friendly ports, and with conflicting crews.
    It's the truly excellent episodes which even serve to drive these issues home.
    I enjoyed bits of Voyager, enough that I watched it all on its first run, but it always felt like wasted potential. The two crews who were at war in the pilot integrate seamlessly (Seska aside, and they tied her story off quickly enough), the rogue pilot (Paris) just settles down to be a competent officer, the green lieutenant (Kim) just settles down to be a competent officer, and the ship flies home with a more or less full crew. It was just toothless outside of the crisis of the week. Even the Borg were largely neutered, always a risk when they were overexposed.

The one that drove it home for me was the Year of Hell 2 parter. It was full of entropy and danger. If they'd planned for all of that over something like a 3 season run, they'd have made something much more potent.

• Advertisement

Not sure how well "Year of hell" would have stretched out over 3 seasons tbh. Battlestar Galactica's death march lost steam after 2 seasons and their seasons were short. Though a few more episodes would have been fun. I would have liked to see them explore more the crew finding themselves separated across multiple ships until they found a way to restore the crippled Voyager.

The Maquis probably weren't the best choice for antagonists. They were mostly former Starfleet officers who were fighting against Starfleet because of the Cardassian situation. Remove the Cardassians from the equation and it made sense that they would toe the Starfleet line in pursuit of a common goal. Might have worked better had they teamed up with a ship of Romulans for instance.

Yeah, it's those 22 episode runs, they just kill momentum stone dead, especially in stories that rely on some narrative Sword of Damacles; does make one wonder, if you had the time, COULD you splice together a version of Voyager that was punchier, and maintained that mixture of episodic & serialised?

Obviously garbage filler like Threshold, the Captain Proton or Holodeck Oirland episodes could go in the bin. Beyond that, strip the show into a shortened playlist of "only" relevant episodes.

Heck, even make a series of 5, 6 feature-length episodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Evade

Where did this trend of watching only important episodes come from? If you want to watch a series, watch all the episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Evade wrote: »
    Where did this trend of watching only important episodes come from? If you want to watch a series, watch all the episodes.

Watching or re-watching?

Time is short, 26 episode season is the same length as some actual series.

And for example I loved DS9 & TNG on first viewing and have watched certain episodes multiple times - but there's certain episodes I really don't need to watch again.
    Ditto for Babylon 5.

And, once upon a time, my ability to save Trek episodes for viewing was limited by my VHS tape capacity. It's not a new trend.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

If it's a show worth watching, sure. If it's a historic & episodic show with a noted varying quality level, it's valid approach. I'd argue you can't with DS9 because it's more about charting characters' progression - can't say the same about Voyager or Enterprise. There's no good reason to watch the Fair Haven episodes. Or Threshold, except for some "hate watch" chuckles.

If your a first time watcher or a re-watching after not seeing it since it's original run skipping episodes on someone else's recommendation isn't really watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Really looking forward to new Pike show. Anson Mount was a pleasant surprise in discovery......perfect charisma for a Starfleet captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

368100 wrote: »
    Really looking forward to new Pike show. Anson Mount was a pleasant surprise in discovery......perfect charisma for a Starfleet captain.

He was great in western series Hell on Wheels... better than the material.
    Colm Meaney was in that too, not sure if he was suited to the robber baron role so much.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

If your a first time watcher or a re-watching after not seeing it since it's original run skipping episodes on someone else's recommendation isn't really watching it.

For episodic TV it doesn't matter at all. You can watch Voyager in any order. Maybe DS9 isn't the same, as there is an arc there.

I watched Voyager on Netflix in best episode order, as recommended by some online review, and it was very good for those twenty or so episodes. Then I watched some of the worst Voyager ( "Fair Haven" etc) and that was it for me.

• Advertisement

FVP3 wrote: »
    For episodic TV it doesn't matter at all. You can watch Voyager in any order. Maybe DS9 isn't the same, as there is an arc there.

I watched Voyager on Netflix in best episode order, as recommended by some online review, and it was very good for those twenty or so episodes. Then I watched some of the worst Voyager ( "Fair Haven" etc) and that was it for me.
    If you've only seen 30 odd episodes can you really say you've watched the series?

Advertisement