Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

alproctor wrote: »
    Ah don't!!! I know they're not universally acclaimed, (universally!!!! see what i did there :pac: )

But i'm on a DS9 run through, having never seen each episode in it's proper chronological order, and after reading this thread, I considered starting at S3, but I started from S1, Ep1, and I'm glad I did now (I'm on S3 Ep6) - Granted there weren't many spectacular episodes, but I'm glad I decided to watch the entire thing in it's entirety.

* used spoilers in case you have not got there yet, but not really spoilers...*

I did the full run through a few years ago bought each season as I went along on DVD.

YES! As a Star Trek show it has it all, great aliens, Klingon's, great story arks. A small few episodes were pretty bad,
    the one with them playing hop scotch (whatever its called) while singing some song, sticks out.

Loved Dax, Kira, Sisko I though was over acting a bit, but great character none the less. Did not care for the Doctor too much until the interaction with Garak got interesting. Of course O'Brein was great, loved his mention in the Q episode
    "Oh yes you were one of the little people"
    . Never understood the need for Sisko's son as a main character, they never seemed to use him much. Nog was great, could have been better, should have been a main character. Quark and Odo's interactions injected some well needed humor to the series. What Neelix and Kes should have been in terms of entertainment characters on voyager. :pac:I've said too much:pac::pac:

Sorry for ranting

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Alamarain, count to 4, alamarain, and then 3 more, alamarain if you can see, alamarain, you'll come with me!

Ugh! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Kiith wrote: »
    Alamarain, count to 4, alamarain, and then 3 more, alamarain if you can see, alamarain, you'll come with me!

Mmm Jadzia..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Kiith wrote: »

Please make it stop!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I already posted this on the "Adverts you despise" thread but I thought the people here might get a kick out of it.

The borg have infiltrated Ireland! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

alproctor wrote: »
    Ah don't!!! I know they're not universally acclaimed, (universally!!!! see what i did there :pac: )

But i'm on a DS9 run through, having never seen each episode in it's proper chronological order, and after reading this thread, I considered starting at S3, but I started from S1, Ep1, and I'm glad I did now (I'm on S3 Ep6) - Granted there weren't many spectacular episodes, but I'm glad I decided to watch the entire thing in it's entirety.

I agree with watching from the start if you can make the effort, you get to see & hear whispers of a 'Dominion' & see it grow into a huge arc. You also get to see some great character development, such as O'Brein 7 Bashir.

O'Brien hated Bashir at the start, protesting not to go on away missions with him etc. Then one night whilst drunk, he comes out with "It's true Julian...I really do...not, hate you any more" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Making serious progress here in my DS9 run thru - the joys of no regular work, eh :D - and have just watched 'Visitor'......

Real lump in throat stuff. Brilliant, brilliant episode...

Actually only ever noticed today that the theme music changed at start of season 4 too... :)

Edit - just discovered that the actress that plays the young girl who speaks to the older Jake in this episode is Andrew Robinsons (Garak) daughter, and she also auditioned for the role of Ezri.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

EnterNow wrote: »
    I agree with watching from the start if you can make the effort, you get to see & hear whispers of a 'Dominion' & see it grow into a huge arc. You also get to see some great character development, such as O'Brein 7 Bashir.

Agreed. I've seen a lost of posts that tell people to start at Season 3 because "DS9 only gets interesting when the Dominion show up".

Even if you agree with that you miss so much world building and character development in the first two seasons that I'd never suggest it. Season 2 in particular has some amazing episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Is DS9 on netflix or what? Can't find it :(

IvySlayer wrote: »

It's on the american netflix, yeah. I'm looking at it right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

IvySlayer wrote: »

Spotflux is your friend

The Next Generation is back on TV. It is on Pick TV, UPC channel 133. Starting from the start of season one so it is encounter at farpoint, part one just finished, part 2 tomorrow at 7PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I am partially re watching voyager at the moment. Although I am cheating, because I just randomly pick episodes with nice sounding names from season 4. Nice to get back into a bit of trek though. I am also kind of happy I cannot remember every single episode. I have a trekky friend and she can literally tell you what the whole episode is about after seeing the first few seconds!

What strikes me as if I had forgotten is what a bitch Janeway is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Praetorian wrote: »
    I am partially re watching voyager at the moment. Although I am cheating, because I just randomly pick episodes with nice sounding names from season 4. Nice to get back into a bit of trek though. I am also kind of happy I cannot remember every single episode. I have a trekky friend and she can literally tell you what the whole episode is about after seeing the first few seconds!

What strikes me as if I had forgotten is what a bitch Janeway is :)

Did you watch Scientific Method yet? A decent episode, and fairly memorable Voyager episode too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Kirby wrote: »
    I already posted this on the "Adverts you despise" thread but I thought the people here might get a kick out of it.

The borg have infiltrated Ireland! :p

Lol, it's so true, it's the way you have lots of people partitioned into little boxes, articulating the exact same corporate buzz words. Not sure if the ad is secretly promoting the idea of a collective hivemind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Thinking back to The Visitor there now, it made my hairs stand on end. Such a fantastic episode. I can't wait to introduce it to someone and have it blow them away. What makes it more special was that I almost skipped over it and didn't watch it. I saw the episode description on the back of the DVD sleeve and was like "urgh, an episode completely about Jake Sisko". I very nearly gave it a miss but thought to myself I better watch it in-case something happen in it that makes sense in a later episode.

Needless to say I was blown away by it. What made it more special I think was that I didn't know it was such a highly rated episode beforehand. I had no idea it even existed so I watched it with no expectations of it being good, quite the opposite in fact. Such a great piece of work.

G-Money wrote: »
    I can't wait to introduce it to someone and have it blow them away.

Done that very recently, to a non Trek fan & someone who hasn't a notion about Trek in any way/shape or form. Suffice it to say, when an episode can make a non fan shed tears...you know it's the real deal.

After my recent DS9 run-through, The Visitor stands proud as the best episode methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

Ok, just threw in season 1 Ds9 disks, gonna do 1-7 over the course of the next month or two. I put it in the blu ray player and have to say, I think I was wrong about the quality looking pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

johnmryan wrote: »
    Ok, just threw in season 1 Ds9 disks, gonna do 1-7 over the course of the next month or two. I put it in the blu ray player and have to say, I think I was wrong about the quality looking pretty good!

ah lad, believe me you'll enjoy it. i'm half way through s5, having watched it from s1ep1. Quality....

TNG Season 4, a nice little episode called 'Remember Me'. Basically Wesley caused the warp field to expand momentarily, trapping Dr. Crusher inside a warp field. To her everything is normal, until people start disappearing & the Universe starts shrinking.

Very good nuts 'n bolts type episode I though

• Advertisement

TNG Season 4, a nice little episode called 'Remember Me'. Basically Wesley caused the warp field to expand momentarily, trapping Dr. Crusher inside a warp field. To her everything is normal, until people start disappearing & the Universe starts shrinking.

Yeah that was good episode. It was quite an interesting what if? scenario in relation to being able to reach the physical boundaries of the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

First time I saw that was on DVD and immediately rewatched it as it's the type of episode that has so much to give it's very easy to miss something.

Good call on that episode.

First time I saw that was on DVD and immediately rewatched it as it's the type of episode that has so much to give it's very easy to miss something.

Good call on that episode.

Yeah it definitely strikes me as a good episode, it has a certain 'weirdness' in it that is present in a few others like 'Time Squared', 'Yesterdays Enterprise' & 'The Survivors' amongst others.

There were some great lines out of Time Squared "do you know what you're doing?" Picard: "no". And the line about being locked into an unalterable sequence of events before he kills his double. There was a real tension in that episode and a weirdness but not like a surreal almost human weirdness like in Donnie Darko, more like what could best be described as the kind of weirdness you would find in those physics parables about being able to tap yourself on the shoulder in a doughnut shaped universe.

RIP Neil Armstrong :(

The Right Stuff, personified. Godspeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

An episode of Star Trek would have certainly ended "In Memory", wondering if the new movie will.

Another little gem I watched last night, TNG Season 3 - Allegiances

Picard is abducted, & trapped in a cell/laboratory with three other people. A submissive alien, an aggressive alien, & a cadet. A duplicate Picard is placed on board the Enterprise, & quickly arouses suspicions amongst the crew over his strange behavior.

He moved the Enterprise closer & closer to a pair of highly dangerous Pulsars, while the real Picard struggles to find out who watches the watchers.

Really good early enough TNG ep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Non verbal communication baby

Non verbal communication baby

Non verbal is good and all that, but it doesn't quite have the precision of a good old darmok and jalad at tanagra, now does it? :p

• Advertisement

Another little gem I watched last night, TNG Season 3 - Allegiances

Picard is abducted, & trapped in a cell/laboratory with three other people. A submissive alien, an aggressive alien, & a cadet. A duplicate Picard is placed on board the Enterprise, & quickly arouses suspicions amongst the crew over his strange behavior.

He moved the Enterprise closer & closer to a pair of highly dangerous Pulsars, while the real Picard struggles to find out who watches the watchers.

Really good early enough TNG ep

How did you know I was replaced Riker?

Well for one thing, I never knew you were such a good singer.

Super episode, love it:D

Advertisement