Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Season 3 of Discovery starts in October.....13 straight uninterrupted weeks....starts after the Lower Decks season finale ends.

With this covid, and lack of tv shows, suspect viewership will be decent

http://blog.trekcore.com/2020/07/star-trek-discovery-season-3-finally-lands-october-15/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Rawr

Spock: J-him?

Kirk: Yes Schpock?

Spock: (Wraps arm around Kirk's shoulder) You are....and *hick* always shall be....my friend....

Kick: Schpock...in all my travelsh I have never....n-NEVER....met a soul that's so....human!

Spock: The needs of the Bros...outweigh.....the needs of the Hoes....

Kick: Thats----beautiful Schpock....

Spock: (Downs pint and slams it on counter) Is....logical....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The Captains log the following day would be a long burning ring of fire.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well only 3 days to go before we have more Star Trek to watch. Has there been anymore about where it will air or will we all be pirating it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    Well only 3 days to go before we have more Star Trek to watch. Has there been anymore about where it will air or will we all be pirating it.

No international distribution so far.

Therefore...... (slowly puts eyepatch on head)

...what? This is what I always wear while streaming shows......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Rewatching TNG. Just starting on the second series.

Near the beginning of episode one did anyone else notice Picard using the word grand in the way an Irish person would? Must have been a dare or some messing from Stewart?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Rewatching TNG. Just starting on the second series. Near the beginning of episode one did anyone else notice Picard using the word grand in the way an Irish person would? Must have been a dare or some messing from Stewart?

Could it be a Yorkshire thing also I wonder?
    I listened to some BBC Desert Island Discs and turns out Patrick Stewart and Brian Blessed had the same elocution teacher...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Could it be a Yorkshire thing also I wonder?
    I listened to some BBC Desert Island Discs and turns out Patrick Stewart and Brian Blessed had the same elocution teacher...

Why they ever thought to pretend that guy was French is anyone guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Evade

Accents have always been a lottery in Star Trek. For every Chekov, Scotty, and O'Brien there's a Picard (French), LaForge (Somalian), and Uhura (I don't think it's ever been confirmed where she's from but Swahili is her first language).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Goodshape wrote: »
    Why they ever thought to pretend that guy was French is anyone guess.

I think it was set in before casting was finalised... originally they had Belgian actor Patrick Bauchau (from A View to a Kill) in mind for Picard.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Spear wrote: »
    So it's claimed that Star Trek 4 is back on, though coming from Noah Hawley (Legion).

https://deadline.com/2019/11/star-trek-noah-hawley-directing-writing-sequel-jj-abrams-chris-pine-paramount-1202785280/

I look forward to the interpretative dance section of the movie.

Looks like this Hawley script is now dead, the theorising being that a story about a galaxy wide virus killing millions might be a touch too topical:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/noah-hawleys-star-trek-back-burner-1306485

Actually millions? That would be pretty small scale for a galaxy wide event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

pah wrote: »

I call shenanigans just by dint of the outlet reporting it: a wall of cookie prompts and banner ads, good luck finding the actual text of the article :( But with this opening line:
    Star Trek: Picard has now wrapped up its first season, and fans have been blown away by how it brought back Sir Patrick Stewart’s Starfleet legend and dropped him in a very contemporary, thrilling storyline.

Now, I enjoyed Picard despite its faults; but even as someone positively inclined towards the show, I wouldn't ever describe the overall feeling like the above :D

TBH I don't see anything too remarkable here: at the executive level there's going to be the desire to shop around & see what other old Trek nostalgia junkets might make sense. Janeway is the next headline item captain, given Avery Brooks retired from acting IIRC. A Worf spin-off would probably play well with the gallery mind you...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

pixelburp wrote: »
    A Worf spin-off would probably play well with the gallery mind you...

Now that's something I would definitely entertain.

If they hadn't already ruined Section 31 via excessive mustache twirling Bashir at the head or as an agent of the 25th century version could have potential as long as they steer clear of another Galaxy ending threat.

pah wrote: »

I wonder if these thoughts are related to apparent reports that Voyager has been getting a lot more views on Netflix lately compared to other legacy Trek shows. Been doing a marathon of it myself.

Rawr wrote: »
    I wonder if these thoughts are related to apparent reports that Voyager has been getting a lot more views on Netflix lately compared to other legacy Trek shows. Been doing a marathon of it myself.
    Voyager on Netflix is weird. I watch TNG, DS9, and Enterprise much more often than Voyager but Voyager is always in my "because you watched anything vaguely science fiction" recommendations.

Evade wrote: »
    If they hadn't already ruined Section 31 via excessive mustache twirling Bashir at the head or as an agent of the 25th century version could have potential as long as they steer clear of another Galaxy ending threat.

No reason why Section 31 couldn't be reformed between Discovery and the DS9; easy enough to retrofit in a script. Events of Disco caused a massive firesale of their more controversial assets.

Which does remind that there WAS supposed to be a Michelle Yeoh headed show about Section 31. I presume that's dead in the water now

• Advertisement

Before Discovery I might have been interested in a S31 show, especially since it might offer a way to expand the Trek universe beyond the usual Starfleet ops that we're normally treated to. You could even go into exploring this bizarre balance in the Federation's defense between the ruthless cynicism of S31, verses the generally optimistic outlook of the normally peace-keeping explorers of Starfleet.
    Loads to explore and think about in that setup.

However, after Discovery I don't trust these people to get anything like that right. Their S31 came across as a cartoonishly evil League of Cloak & Dagger Anti-heroes, who's main point appeared to be as a shallow threat for the Discovery crew to overcome. This silly secret organisation, which advertised themselves with their own Comm-badge, had their own starship variant that could be identified by Starfleet computers, and even went as far as to have their agents actually *tell* a bridge staff that they are a super secret space spy.....
    S31 just annoys me now.

I have little reason to believe that a Secret Hideout produced S31 show wouldn't be more of this, but on steroids...

I have little reason to believe that a Secret Hideout produced S31 show wouldn't be more of this, but on steroids...
    All Secret Hideout Star Trek will be way too over the top. Even their small scale story about regretting the loss of an old friend (allegedly) had a universe ending plot.

(allegedly) had a universe ending plot.

Ripped straight from Mass Effect

Ms

Ripped straight from Mass Effect

So maybe it was but then the only people who have seen or know that are gamers who have played or watched someone else play it. Myself I bought the first game but never really got that far in it so yes I think its overrated and know very little about it or its plots.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    So maybe it was but then the only people who have seen or know that are gamers who have played or watched someone else play it. Myself I bought the first game but never really got that far in it so yes I think its overrated and know very little about it or its plots.

I liked Picard but they skirted far too close to blatant copying to get a free pass on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I liked Picard but they skirted far too close to blatant copying to get a free pass on it.

Case in point, the fleet!

* I liked it too, though the fleet was a massive disappointment!

Case in point, the fleet!

* I liked it too, though the fleet was a massive disappointment!

Needed at least one Miranda Class :P

(Those things appear to last forever :D)

Needed at least one Miranda Class :P

(Those things appear to last forever :D)
    I'd forgive STD season 3 for a lot if there was a 500 year old beat up Miranda still around.

Ms

I'd forgive STD season 3 for a lot if there was a 500 year old beat up Miranda still around.

I doubt it would be 500 years old somehow but maybe 300 years old it would have been the perfect ship to use instead of the crappy ship they did have them flying around in. Surely can not be that hard to automate must of the systems on a Miranda class if Scotty could do it on the Enterprise

Actually I read wrong. Thought you were talking about Picard. Ye some in STD3 would be cool.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

It'd probably be a lot older. I though STD3 was set in 29XX but it's 31XX so Miranda's would be about 900 years old by then.

Advertisement