Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I liked it. It's one that splits people down the middle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Stark wrote: »
    I quite liked it. It's one that splits people down the middle though.

Only if you don't make it into the saucer section on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I absolutely love it, inside and out.

It was like a city in space. And it had that weird off-balance shape to it that could only exit in space. It wasn't sleek or aerodynamic. Wasn't even particularly photogenic, although it had its moments. Wasn't stealthy or in any way militaristic. It was a scientific cruise-liner and it was nice. And HUGE.

The Enterprise E looks like a stealthy modern (as in ~2000s) warship. Blargh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Didn't like the design or the idea of the ship; the design certainly, squishing the iconic Trek design into this flattened, ungainly thing. The idea of a floating city was nice in theory, but almost never utilised into something interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I love it. It's my favourite Enterprise because it is the one I grew up with and because of how versatile and powerful it is. Yes the refit Enterprise is a classic and the A too but neither of them could do what the D done or be as versatile either or as powerful or as fast but maybe they would be more manouvrable do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

The bridge is another "Marmite" feature of the Enterprise-D but I think it ties with Voyager's for my favourite bridge. It has an unmistakable character to it. Rather like the original Enterprise's in that respect. It also had good lighting, you could make out every character on the bridge very clearly. The Enterprise-E bridge was dark, soulless and far too cluttered looking.

Its Battle Bridge was pretty nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I liked the D but it was not Enterprise A refit.

As for the Ent D bridge, I much preferred the Generations version of it.

Undiscovered Country Bridge is still my favourite

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Evade

As for the Ent D bridge, I much preferred the Generations version of it.
    Some of the Parallels and Yesterday's Emterprise variations are better than the standard layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The bridge was OK aside from Worf's standing station over the captains head.
    Mad how despite being the bigger ship, the briefing room and the Captain ready room were smaller on the Enterprise then on Voyager. Also of note is how the Pike/Kirk Enterprise was left-hand drive while the Enterprise D was right-hand drive. Voyager and the Defiant were single centre console with the Ops station in the wings.

flazio wrote: »
    Also of note is how the Pike/Kirk Enterprise was left-hand drive while the Enterprise D was right-hand drive.
    It's down to captain's preference. Pike ank Kirk are American so left hand drive. Picard is French but after the annexation of France by the UK in the inciting incident of WWIII the British army instituted harsh martial law and forced France to change the side of the road they drive on along with outlawing the metric system. It also explains Picard's accent.

• Advertisement

The bridge was OK aside from Worf's standing station over the captains head.

One of those things where the actors are arranged for the audience's benefit rather than the characters' benefit. The audience can see both Worf's face and Picard's face during a battle scene even though for Picard it must have been very uncomfortable being briefed by someone standing right behind you. Reminds me of soap opera scenes where characters are having an argument and instead of standing facing each other, they both stand facing the camera, one with their back to the other.

Mad how despite being the bigger ship, the briefing room and the Captain ready room were smaller on the Enterprise then on Voyager.

I was often envious of Janeway's palatial ready room. Probably bigger than many apartments in Dublin. No wonder she seemed in less of a rush to get back to Earth than some of the other characters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

dont forget neelix the kitchen rat's spot in the dining hall was also part of janeways private part of the ship initially

Ms

Evade wrote: »
    It's down to captain's preference. Pike ank Kirk are American so left hand drive. Picard is French but after the annexation of France by the UK in the inciting incident of WWIII the British army instituted harsh martial law and forced France to change the side of the road they drive on along with outlawing the metric system. It also explains Picard's accent.

Where did you come up with that from for WWIIII? And what was the supposed incident. I would imagine WWIII would be something like the USA gone bad maybe allied with Russia and China fighting Europe and Asia and the rest of the World.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

It was a joke.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

How many years removed are we from the original ww3 anyway? I vaguely recall Khan was a relic of eugenics wars of the 1990s, and too lazy to Google

2026 I think.

2026 I think.
    And it last for nearly 30 years.

2026 I think.

2 years into God-Emperor Trump's 3rd term then, I mean it makes sense really. Lord knows Trek has a knack for prescience to begin with ... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

pixelburp wrote: »
    How many years removed are we from the original ww3 anyway? I vaguely recall Khan was a relic of eugenics wars of the 1990s, and too lazy to Google

Eugenics Wars 1992-1996
    World War III 2026 – 2053

The war started in 2026 over the issue of genetic manipulation and Human genome enhancement, and lasted until approximately 2053. It resulted in the death of some six hundred million Humans... Among the parties involved was the Eastern Coalition whose direct attacks included those against the United States of America. In 2026, at the start of the war, Colonel Phillip Green led a faction of eco-terrorists that was responsible for the loss of thirty-seven million lives.
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/World_War_III

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

"Eco terrorists" ha wow I remember how much Hollywood loved that cliché back in the day. It seems so quaint now, presumably born from the days of Greenpeace at their belligerent height

• Advertisement

Sort of feel the Eugenics wars was a piece of TOS canon that got brushed over once real time caught up with time on the show. Certainly when Voyager visited the year 1996, there was no evidence that Earth had just emerged from an all out world war. Possible the date just kept getting pushed out Terminator Movies style so that by the time First Contact aired, "WW III/Eugenics Wars" was mid 21st century.

At this stage I'm surprised nobody just spitballed "screw it, the entire Trek universe is itself an alt universe" once contemporary life caught up with its screwy sense of 90s+ "history". So like the Fallout games where its future is built from a past that never occurred. Would also fit nicely into this idea that actual life has never felt more distant from a utopian ideal.

The Eugenics War was mostly Asia and Africa wasn't it?

The Eugenics War was mostly Asia and Africa wasn't it?

Think that's where it ended, but nearly plunged the planet into a new dark age. Think Khan ruled 1/4 of Earth. Dont remember learning about him in school, lol.

All Eyes On Rafah

Think that's where it ended, but nearly plunged the planet into a new dark age. Think Khan ruled 1/4 of Earth. Dont remember learning about him in school, lol.
    Asia and Africa together are about half of the surface area of the world.

Asia and Africa together are about half of the surface area of the world.

Yeah but Asia isnt exactly in a dark age, if anything its the exact opposite.

All Eyes On Rafah

Also, thank fcuk we dont live in that timeline, sounds horrific.

All Eyes On Rafah

Ms

Yeah but Asia isnt exactly in a dark age, if anything its the exact opposite.

Unless your in North Korea that is. South Korea on the other hand is still booming and China too. India is still very third world do and still a lot of very poor people in India.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Unless your in North Korea that is. South Korea on the other hand is still booming and China too. India is still very third world do and still a lot of very poor people in India.

India has a space and nuclear program. We don't even have that!! :D

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

India is not all that different to the US and vice versa: staggering wealth mixed with bone crushing poverty. America would never call them by their name, but they have slums, whole slum towns and counties

Advertisement