Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

My first and IMO most important question is ... ... how reliable and trustworthy is the source? Cos "scoop" is a nice buzzword for a site trading clickbait by the barrell full...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,992 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

This has popped up online a few times now. Not sure how true it is either, but considering how Picard turned out towards the end, I'd be worried about it.

It would be interesting to see how the politics of the area have evolved and how the Cardassians are coping as when we saw them last their planet had been bombarded to rubble and billions were dead. Also the Dominion and what happened to all its clones and territories.

But the DS9 crew got one of the best endings and should be left alone other than a cameo so do the show in that part of the world with new characters. Also 2 of the cast are dead which would complicate things and ide hate to see Big get princess Leahed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Inviere

breezy1985 wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see how the politics of the area have evolved and how the Cardassians are coping as when we saw them last their planet had been bombarded to rubble and billions were dead. Also the Dominion and what happened to all its clones and territories

ALL of that was set up by a talented writing team, who were cohesive and who worked under a particular vision & direction.

I'd have virtually zero hope that any Kurtzman-led Star Trek could do DS9 any form of justice. I was quite hopeful for Picard, and enjoyed it up until the finale...the show jumped the shark before its first season even ended.

So no, leave DS9 alone I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Evade

If they announce Ronald D. Moore was coming back too it'd be a completely different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'm sure CBS are "Considering" all sorts of stuff.

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    ALL of that was set up by a talented writing team, who were cohesive and who worked under a particular vision & direction.

I'd have virtually zero hope that any Kurtzman-led Star Trek could do DS9 any form of justice. I was quite hopeful for Picard, and enjoyed it up until the finale...the show jumped the shark before its first season even ended.

So no, leave DS9 alone I say.

I would say Behr and the lads would be keen to help but it'll probably never happen. I agree I don't trust the current team to do it right

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I hope it never happens.

would be awful if the legacy of DS9 the best trek show of them all was brought back and ruined like all the present rubbish.

let it rest in peace.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

We would also have no Odo or Nog now. Ezra instead of Jadzia (I didnt mind Ezra myself to be honest, she did fine with the time she had). Odo i guess could be played by someone else as he is a shapeshifter, but it would just make it an even harder watch for me. I would have loved it years ago, but now they would just ruin it i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭pah

A DS9 show could be amazing, I just don't trust the current cohort to do it justice.

this sums up why modern trek is so terrible.

They want to piggyback on the success of DS9 and TNG because they are so devoid of anything decent themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This isn't unique to Trek; a lot of shows are getting "revived" for easy nostalgia and promotional points. Just this week we've seen Dexter the latest to get a sudden new season announced. You got others like The X-Files; Roseanne; Will & Grace; Veronica Mars; Twin Peaks; Samurai Jack; Prison Break. The 80s fad is passing a little, replaced with late 90s / early 2000s nostalgic junkets.

pixelburp wrote: »
    This isn't unique to Trek; a lot of shows are getting "revived" for easy nostalgia and promotional points. Just this week we've seen Dexter the latest to get a sudden new season announced. You got others like The X-Files; Roseanne; Will & Grace; Veronica Mars; Twin Peaks; Samurai Jack; Prison Break. The 80s fad is passing a little, replaced with late 90s / early 2000s nostalgic junkets.

only reinforces my point how bad things are in general.

Jeysus Dexter. That was well out of steam by the time it ended

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Watched Discovery's season 3 opener tonight and loved it. Can't wait for episode 2 next week.

Sometime TNG is more prescient than you realise. The internet is slowly becoming the aliens from Darmok. Mike and Rich from RLM doing another list of their favourite TNG episodes.

https://youtu.be/Zs13fJuP0F4?t=3050

DenMan wrote: »
    Watched Discovery's season 3 opener tonight and loved it. Can't wait for episode 2 next week.

Was really good and I can't believe I am once again gonna let myself get excited about all the mystery of a CBS Trek. They have botched every landing so far but they are great at the build up episodes.

Just saw LD finale last night too man that was amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Rawr

Evade wrote: »
    Sometime TNG is more prescient than you realise. The internet is slowly becoming the aliens from Darmok. Mike and Rich from RLM doing another list of their favourite TNG episodes.

https://youtu.be/Zs13fJuP0F4?t=3050

Started watching this last night. I do enjoy their banter about Trek shows. They also tend to have interesting perspectives on TNG episodes that I hadn't considered then or even since.

Rawr wrote: »
    Started watching this last night. I do enjoy their banter about Trek shows. They also tend to have interesting perspectives on TNG episodes that I hadn't considered then or even since.

Yeah, I haven't finished it (cos 1+ hour videos on YouTube can be a chore), but just their perspective on Geordi alone is interesting. I still maintain he was a poor character badly acted but seeing these depths and shades highlighted was also enlightening. TNG romance writing was always kinda awful so was hard to penetrate the cheese sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

Rawr wrote: »

I think Redlettermedia are probably the cream of the Youtube crop in relation to video reviews that aren't the in depth dissection essay style alá the Nerdwriter1 etc. They generally just balance the humour/slapstick very well against some very insightful critiques.

As someone mentioned in the comments in that video they should do a spin off channel called RedLetter-shirt for their Star Trek content hah!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I still maintain he was a poor character badly acted

Oh? I like Geordi a lot. He wasn't often given a whole lot to do but I thought the character (and actor) did well with what they had. His love for engineering, and the Enterprise, was palpable. I'd say I have a better sense of what his actual job (and passion) was than most people on the ship.

And I just liked the guy. Seemed more personable than a lot of the crew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I'd agree. I was a kid watching, so probably not as critical as I might be now, but I always liked the character.

I always thought Burton acted well enough for what he got.

Goodshape wrote: »
    Oh? I like Geordi a lot. He wasn't often given a whole lot to do but I thought the character (and actor) did well with what they had. His love for engineering, and the Enterprise, was palpable. I'd say I have a better sense of what his actual job (and passion) was than most people on the ship.

He was the most important person on the ship because he was the only one could "run a level 2 diagnostic"

Was always my favourite in TNG too and it seems to be very cool at the moment to say that Picard, Data and Word were the Kirk,Spock,McCoy of TNG and everyone else was only background

Goodshape wrote: »

To be clear: LeVar Burton is up there with Tom Hanks as an actor who exudes a high level of common decency and warmth. He seems to be a genuinely nice guy and that came across on screen. I just think he was a very limited actor who found himself wanting when Geordi had more dramatic material written for him. Not the worst in the cast either mind you

always remembered him more as cunta kinti in roots.

In tng geordi was a cardboard cut out.....along with neelix, possibly the most awful main character in any trek series...just awful

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

No way you can compare Geordi to Neelix. One was a bit bland but otherwise non-objectionable, the other ruined every scene he was in and was ugly as sin to boot.

always remembered him more as cunta kinti in roots.

In tng geordi was a cardboard cut out.....along with neelix, possibly the most awful main character in any trek series...just awful

I'd have Geordi over at least half of the Voyager crew and probably all of them except 7 and EMH as characters critically and personally all of them except 7. Add to that Troi, pre movie Checkov, Mayweather, Reed, Tilly and boy if you want cardboard security officer/Klingon spy Clem Fandango

Reed was an absolute creepy letch
    Mayweather? They cast a guy who could actually throw a few punches/kicks, show it a few times then never go anywhere with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ShockChance

• Advertisement

Watching The Last Kingdom lately and it's a neat reminder how blatantly Klingons of the TNG functioned as space Vikings; or rather, the common representation of Vikings in media. It's not even subtle when you watch "real" Vikings shouting about honour, death, and war. I also expect Worf to walk into scene to bellow about Kahless

Advertisement