Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Recently finished run throughs of TNG and DS9, up to S6 in runthrough of Voyager now, surprised at how many episodes i missed on first run when it originally aired.

Seven of Nine though, jaysus, she's the saving grace

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

So if TNG was going to be digitally updated what would you change in it?

Me I would but some other classes of ship in it when the Enterprise is meeting one or an ambassador is coming onboard instead of just Excelsior and Oberth class. Have some Challenger class ships in there a New Orleans class, a Springfield class and a Cheyanne class ship at least. A but of variety.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I'd have Geordi over at least half of the Voyager crew and probably all of them except 7 and EMH as characters critically and personally all of them except 7. Add to that Troi, pre movie Checkov, Mayweather, Reed, Tilly and boy if you want cardboard security officer/Klingon spy Clem Fandango

Don’t forget Vic fontaine

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Just at the end of S6 of voyager run through, 7 really is the saving grace of this show

I just wanna kick Neelix in his face

And Tuvok, jaysus, he sure loves his mind melds

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

dont forget the underrated The doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Inviere

Don’t forget Vic fontaine

I like Vic, he had a touch of old school class to him. Loved his singing too, I may have bought his album! :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fontaine was fun; sometimes a tad overdone but in general a good example of a "small doses" character. A cliché but that was kinda the point.

Inviere wrote: »
    I like Vic, he had a touch of old school class to him. Loved his singing too, I may have bought his album! :o

I’m really life your man was a singer. he was also in a tv show called the time tunnel back in the day, a fore runner of quantum leap in fact I’d go so far as to say quantum leap lifted its premise from it.

I found the use of his character in ds9 to be extremely dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭flazio

dont forget the underrated The doctor

Doctor Who?

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    Doctor Who?

That show has died a death.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,992 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It was always crap

Ms

I’m really life your man was a singer. he was also in a tv show called the time tunnel back in the day, a fore runner of quantum leap in fact I’d go so far as to say quantum leap lifted its premise from it.

Ye I seen the Time Tunnel quit recently around last year sometime. It started of good but then got so bad. The tunnel itself was the worst part of it the way it was done just did not make sense and why all the 80 whatever underground levels and we only ever got to see one or 2 of them. It ended very weird do like it went in a loop but I suppose after the show got cancelled they decided to just do that. There was some cool episodes in it but if I was to pick between it or "Quantum leap" it would be "Quantum Leap" anytime.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Ye I seen the Time Tunnel quit recently around last year sometime. It started of good but then got so bad. The tunnel itself was the worst part of it the way it was done just did not make sense and why all the 80 whatever underground levels and we only ever got to see one or 2 of them. It ended very weird do like it went in a loop but I suppose after the show got cancelled they decided to just do that. There was some cool episodes in it but if I was to pick between it or "Quantum leap" it would be "Quantum Leap" anytime.

Ya I would too. The guy who did the show Irwin Allen also did land of the giants.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It was always crap

tenor.gif

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Inviere

Aye, James Darren. I vaguely remember the Time Tunnel as a kid!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It was always crap

*eyes twitch*

Damnit, I'm not a moderator here as well ... ... yet :pac:

Dr. Who, like Star Trek itself, has run long enough that its quality has see-sawed viciously down the years, often at the whim of its chief producer (or indeed, the BBC). Unlike Trek though, you'd be hard-pressed to pin down exactly what Who "is", given the aforementioned chopping and changing often resulted in wildly different tones and approaches. Sometimes it was straight-up gothic horror; sometimes goofy sci-fi; sometimes a soap; sometimes camp awfulness. Pick 10 random episodes from its 60 year run and you'd swear they were different shows.

pixelburp wrote: »
    *eyes twitch*

Dr. Who, like Star Trek itself, has run long enough that its quality has see-sawed viciously down the years, often at the whim of its chief producer (or indeed, the BBC). Unlike Trek though, you'd be hard-pressed to pin down exactly what Who "is", given the aforementioned chopping and changing often resulted in wildly different tones and approaches. Sometimes it was straight-up gothic horror; sometimes goofy sci-fi; sometimes a soap; sometimes camp awfulness. Pick 10 random episodes from its 60 year run and you'd swear they were different shows.

10 different shows. All awful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

is that rubbish still going ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Inviere wrote: »
    Aye, James Darren. I vaguely remember the Time Tunnel as a kid!

I decided to buy it on DVD after having trouble finding decent links online...well worth it. Great fun.

I think I remember it being on Sky 1 when I was a kid and I had never realised Tony was the guy who played Vic Fontaine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

pixelburp wrote: »
    *eyes twitch*

Can the brits do decent TV sci-fi?
    Honestly?

(Does Goodnight Sweetheart Count? 😂)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Evade

The Vic Fontaine character was originally pitched to Frank Sinatra Jr. but he only wanted to do Star Trek if he could be an alien.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

JayRoc wrote: »
    Can the brits do decent TV sci-fi?
    Honestly?

(Does Goodnight Sweetheart Count? ��)

I grew up with shows like Timeslip, it was awsome at the time.
    Others were the original Tomorrow People series.
    Quatermass
    Blakes 7
    Space 1999
    UFO
    Sapphire and Steel
    Star Cops
    Day of the Triffids
    The Tripods
    Doomwatch
    Space Precinct
    The Last Train..the list goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

scudzilla wrote: »
    Seven of Nine though, jaysus, she's the saving grace

Introduced as eye candy - those tight fighting garments weren't for literary reasons ;)

IIRC the ratings weren't great beforehand and then for some mysterious they jumped up...

Mr Meanor wrote: »
    Quatermass
    Blakes 7
    Space 1999
    UFO
    Sapphire and Steel
    Star Cops
    Day of the Triffids
    The Tripods
    Doomwatch
    Space Precinct

That would be a no then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Rawr

Mr Meanor wrote: »
    Quatermass
    Blakes 7
    Space 1999
    UFO
    Sapphire and Steel
    Star Cops
    Day of the Triffids
    The Tripods
    Doomwatch
    Space Precinct

Now *that one* rings a bell. I remember liking the concept:

2001235993.jpg

But...I also remember it failing to keep me engaged, and I wasn't too surprised when it was cancelled after only one season. The alien make-up wasn't half bad...despite it being painfully clear that the actor was just wearing a mask while the rest of the body was default human for practically every species in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Rawr wrote: »
    Now *that one* rings a bell. I remember liking the concept:

2001235993.jpg

But...I also remember it failing to keep me engaged, and I wasn't too surprised when it was cancelled after only one season. The alien make-up wasn't half bad...despite it being painfully clear that the actor was just wearing a mask while the rest of the body was default human for practically every species in the show.

For some reason Space Precinct is in the same category as Seaquest DSV for meh although SQ reminds me of horrible Sunday nights before school

• Registered Users Posts: 31,687 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

For some reason Space Precinct is in the same category as Seaquest DSV for meh although SQ reminds me of horrible Sunday nights before school

I really liked Seaquest! Can't go wrong with Roy Scheider.

Going through Enterprise now properly for the first time, and it reminds me a little bit of Seaquest actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭flazio

For anyone who decided not to bootleg Lower Decks, it arrives on Amazon Prime Uk/Ireland on January 22. All 10 episodes in one drop.
    https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a35013140/star-trek-lower-decks-uk-amazon-prime-video/

• Advertisement

I'm sure people already know of the channel, but this latest "in take" is rather, beautifully hilarious:

Advertisement