Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Inviere

That would be my guess! Though maybe that was a small mercy, I could just see it now, Burnham breathlessly stating "You've not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Vulcan."

To Kolinahr, or not to Kolinahr...that...is the logical question....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Improvements made to Data's appearance in Picard using "deepfake" technology. Looks much better in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Rawr

Wedwood wrote: »
    I seen Wrath of Khan during its original release in 1982. The ending was all the more powerful because at the time it looked like the final chapter and there was no indication of a sequel at that time.

I was merely a newborn nipper at the time, but I can only imagine watching WOK, seeing Spock die and for it to seem final (as it was intended at the time). It's a powerful enough moment in Trek in it's own right, but watching it without the foreknowledge of Search for Spock...I can only imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,991 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Rawr wrote: »
    I was merely a newborn nipper at the time, but I can only imagine watching WOK, seeing Spock die and for it to seem final (as it was intended at the time). It's a powerful enough moment in Trek in it's own right, but watching it without the foreknowledge of Search for Spock...I can only imagine.

And also very different to someone watching for the first time today now that we know everything Spock was and who he was is thanks to Burnham

The one thing that stood out for me seeing WOK as a young child was that scene with Khan/Chekhov and the brain eel things. Terrifying stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Only another year before the 40th Anniversery of the release of TWOK or is it two years. I suppose it depends on when it came out. If it was out in Januarary 82 then it's a year but if it was December then it's almost two years away. Anyway hopefully IFI will still be about and the Lighthouse too so maybe one of them will show it.
    My biggest regret is not going to see TWOK two years ago in The Lighthouse. I think the timing did not suit it I just did not like the price lol. Either way I plan to go in two years or a years time if it is out again. I got to see TMP in the IFI do and for free a couple of years ago. That was so cool and so worth it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Was watching an episode of "The Critic" and this came up :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Stark wrote: »
    The one thing that stood out for me seeing WOK as a young child was that scene with Khan/Chekhov and the brain eel things. Terrifying stuff.

for me it was always...."whats the story with this guys chest"

even today I see it and think it looks like plastic

Was looking for a ship model to build to pass some time. Anyone recommend any good ones? NX-01 preferably, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Was looking for a ship model to build to pass some time. Anyone recommend any good ones? NX-01 preferably, thanks.

I built the Revell TOS Enterprise, Voyager, and D7, They're all pretty straightforward, though the Enterprise and Voyager look great with the paintwork. The D7 model was kind of crap.

For additional fun I also added LED lights to all three models. Quite straightforward to do if you can do some basic soldering etc., and on the enterprise I added an arduino so the nacelle lights rotate! Hooked up to a smart plug and now when I say "Engage" they all light up (I have a very, very patient partner)! It turns models that take maybe two or three days depending into something that will take maybe two weeks, but it's worth it.

I think AMT have the best range of ships, and I was looking at their NX-01 refit, but whenever I've come across them they always were a bit on the pricey side for the larger ones.

Ms

Anyone here know who the aliens in the enterprise Episode "Unexpected" were?

Ah Xerrillians is who they are. No idea if I spelt that right.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

AMKC wrote: »
    Anyone here know who the aliens in the enterprise Episode "Unexpected" were?

Xyrillian

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Strange question for everyone....

If Star Trek Enterprise had a more normal intro in the same vein as TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager do you think it would have been received better by fans at the time?

I ask because I remember watching it and at the time I’d cringe a little at that intro music at the start of every episode. It blunted my excitement slightly.

I just wonder if Enterprise had of started with a theme tune like that of Quantum Leap would we have all remembered it a bit more fondly.

It’s my favourite (the slower one from 1 and 2 anyway) and I think it suits the era and idea of the show, but yeah I get what you mean. Seems to be heavily criticised.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Strange question for everyone....

If Star Trek Enterprise had a more normal intro in the same vein as TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager do you think it would have been received better by fans at the time?

I ask because I remember watching it and at the time I’d cringe a little at that intro music at the start of every episode. It blunted my excitement slightly.

I just wonder if Enterprise had of started with a theme tune like that of Quantum Leap would we have all remembered it a bit more fondly.

Calling it Enterprise really annoyed me and Bakula was a bit too squeaky clean. A better actor like Stewart, Brooks or Isaac's might have carried the show but the general consensus seems to be that people were just a bit worn out with Bermans Star Trek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Rawr

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Calling it Enterprise really annoyed me and Bakula was a bit too squeaky clean. A better actor like Stewart, Brooks or Isaac's might have carried the show but the general consensus seems to be that people were just a bit worn out with Bermans Star Trek

That for me is part of what I was getting tired with.
    I remember by the time I was watching the final season of Voyager I was feeling that Rick Berman was either sitting on his laurels or was just spent of good ideas. Enterprise had just felt like a unwise attempt to ape the Star Wars prequel trilogy, in the hope that scifi prequels would be a new popular trend. Dropping "Star Trek" from the name also pissed me off no end.

It was a show that deserved more credit than I believe I was ready to give at the time.

Ms

It’s my favourite (the slower one from 1 and 2 anyway) and I think it suits the era and idea of the show, but yeah I get what you mean. Seems to be heavily criticised.

Agreed it was a much better tune in season 1 and 2 than what they done to it in season 3 and 4 and ruining it like that was just disgraceful. I like singing it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,975 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Agreed it was a much better tune in season 1 and 2 than what they done to it in season 3 and 4 and ruining it like that was just disgraceful. I like singing it.

It's a nice tune but it's not Trek... I was a bit more hostile towards it until I saw Russell Watson doing a random interview on TV and he came across as a sound bloke.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Ms

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It's a nice tune but it's not Trek... I was a bit more hostile towards it until I saw Russell Watson doing a random interview on TV and he came across as a sound bloke.

You might have liked the original theme that was intended for it then,

https://youtu.be/JtWT-H3XQGI

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

let me just ruin this for you...

cant unwatch it, cant watch it and not be phased every intro:

You might have liked the original theme that was intended for it then,

https://youtu.be/JtWT-H3XQGI

I find your lack of Faith (of the Hert) disturbing

let me just ruin this for you...

cant unwatch it, cant watch it and not be phased every intro:

That was actually quite interesting. I'll probably end up watching the Voyager intro on the lookout for super tiny planet now rather than skipping it :) To be fair, I've often noticed ships on Star Trek looking far too big compared to adjacent planets. If you went for full realism, you just wouldn't be able to get the ship and the planet in the same frame without the ship being too small to see.

Also found the DS9 and Voyager generally very bland. TOS had the Kirk voiceover. TNG had a whole lot going on: Picard's voiceover, upbeat orchestra, 80's blue font, woosh-woosh Enterprise and "Also starring Levar Burton" :D I've warmed quite a bit to Enterprise's intro over the years, seems like an attempt to reclaim the TOS sense of adventure into the unknown while doing something new.

Ms

I find your lack of Faith (of the Hert) disturbing

There is a few more intros for Enterprise on You-Tube too.

Like I said already I like the one it was giving. I liked it at the beginning and still like it now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

To be honest I’m a fan of the minimum intro on some shows. There was a time there about 10+ years ago where intros became very short. Examples I can think of are Lost, Heroes, Stargate Universe.
    Then I think Netflix lead the way in bringing back the long intro and turned it into an art form. One of the best ones is Daredevil. That tune is still my ringtone on my phone.
    And of course Game of Thrones was an absolute masterpiece. I’m loving the intro to The Expanse. Even though I’m binge watching episodes I don’t skip the intro.

I hate Discovery’s intro. Didn’t really like Enterprises.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

IIRC Lost was the show that popularised the short intro. Boom, title card, let's do it. As you say Netflix and HBO brought them back but as legitimate pieces of art and creativity than the hokey cast montages of previous eras (though there's a soft spot for the McGuyver intros of this world). Critically, you can only "skip intro" after the first episode of shows on Netflix and Amazon I think? So especially with those more elaborate intros, it's good to watch them once but not every time either. Hmmm might spin up a thread in the TV forum of great TV intros cos they can just look so good.

It's kinda the same with films too TBH. Fashions that come in waves. Watch any old black and white flick and you gotta be ready for 5 minutes of credits _at the start_ (fun slightly related fact, Night of the Living Dead is a public domain film because someone forgot to put the copyright symbol in the title card. Back then in the 60s, that was legally binding, and so it stuck, the film now a non-copyright work. Whoops!)

pixelburp wrote: »
    IIRC Lost was the show that popularised the short intro. Boom, title card, let's do it. As you say Netflix and HBO brought them back but as legitimate pieces of art and creativity than the hokey cast montages of previous eras (though there's a soft spot for the McGuyver intros of this world). Critically, you can only "skip intro" after the first episode of shows on Netflix and Amazon I think? So especially with those more elaborate intros, it's good to watch them once but not every time either. Hmmm might spin up a thread in the TV forum of great TV intros cos they can just look so good.

It's kinda the same with films too TBH. Fashions that come in waves. Watch any old black and white flick and you gotta be ready for 5 minutes of credits _at the start_ (fun slightly related fact, Night of the Living Dead is a public domain film because someone forgot to put the copyright symbol in the title card. Back then in the 60s, that was legally binding, and so it stuck, the film now a non-copyright work. Whoops!)

Wasn't it Star Wars that was the first big movie to not have opening credits. Got George Lucas kicked out of some big film makers guild

Ms

To be honest I’m a fan of the minimum intro on some shows. There was a time there about 10+ years ago where intros became very short. Examples I can think of are Lost, Heroes, Stargate Universe.
    Then I think Netflix lead the way in bringing back the long intro and turned it into an art form. One of the best ones is Daredevil. That tune is still my ringtone on my phone.
    And of course Game of Thrones was an absolute masterpiece. I’m loving the intro to The Expanse. Even though I’m binge watching episodes I don’t skip the intro.

I hate Discovery’s intro. Didn’t really like Enterprises.

I like Enterprises intro but have never liked Discovery's but the show is a mess anyway. It will get one more chance from me and the fourth season is as bad that's it I am done with it.
    breezy1985 wrote: »
    Wasn't it Star Wars that was the first big movie to not have opening credits. Got George Lucas kicked out of some big film makers guild

You are probably right.

Me I like good intros to films and at T.V series. It shows a lack of imagination when they do not have any. As much as I do not like Disoverys one at least they had some imagination just not in the right style.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Me I like good intros to films and at T.V series. It shows a lack of imagination when they do not have any. As much as I do not like Disoverys one at least they had some imagination just not in the right style.

whatever about in the past, intros are a bit redundant in an era where people binge watch multiple episodes back to back.
    I do like that netflix's option to skip intro on most series now

• Advertisement

whatever about in the past, intros are a bit redundant in an era where people binge watch multiple episodes back to back.
    I do like that netflix's option to skip intro on most series now

I watch them once or once a season on shows where it evolved and then skip the rest

Advertisement