Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,991 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Goodshape wrote: »
    I'd tend to disagree. What else have you got apart from that? Just another dystopian "sci-fi" action show.

I don't mind it being uplifting or humanity being better than we are today. I meant there are an awful lot of these youtube fellas or whatever who drone on about Genes vision. Discovery sucks but it ain't because Genes vision was molested and it certainly wasn't the first time some holes were put in the perfect future humans idea either.

Genes vision was for better humans but it was also for making sure Troi shows a bit of cleavage and mandatory push up bras for the rest of the ladies. Gene was no angel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I don't mind it being uplifting or humanity being better than we are today. I meant there are an awful lot of these youtube fellas or whatever who drone on about Genes vision. Discovery sucks but it ain't because Genes vision was molested and it certainly wasn't the first time some holes were put in the perfect future humans idea either.

Are you dismissing the video I shared or just 'an awful lot of these youtube fellas'? The only point the video makes is that it is no longer uplifting or showing humanity as any better than we are now.

Not sure what you're arguing against.
    it was also for making sure Troi shows a bit of cleavage and mandatory push up bras for the rest of the ladies. Gene was no angel

That's a straw-man tbh :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The problem is, Gene's vision came born from an era when nuclear annihilation was very much a real prospect (and came close to happening with incidents ala the Cuban Missile Crisis), while internally America was at ground zero of huge societal changes. The yearning for better days felt more acute given the immediacy of the danger - you counldn't Fake News your way into ignoring the possibility of WW3.

While the abstract of a Utopia isn't itself archaic, the idea of humanity pulling itself from the brink seems ... well, too late. We probably won't destroy ourselves via nuclear war but instead seem intent on a painful, slow bleed of the species through climate collapse, while Late State Capitalism has strangled any notion (at least in America) that ordinary people might create a better tomorrow. Meanwhile, factions have politicised something as simple as "let's not poison our only planet", so even acknowledging there IS A PROBLEM has become a battle. Turn off the cloud and we'd hit middle ages in a few years. It's no wonder Apocalypse Fiction took over.

Within that context, Trek's ideals feel positively quaint, and further away than ever. That's not to say it shouldn't be present in the show, just that it has never felt so distant IMO and I kinda get why its writers aren't leaping to scribble tales of Happier Times. Well, that's just me, today. The world may have finally ground me into the dirt :o

Are you dismissing the video I shared or just 'an awful lot of these youtube fellas'? The only point the video makes is that it is no longer uplifting or showing humanity as any better than we are now.

Not sure what you're arguing against.

That's a straw-man tbh :)

Im saying I can't listen to the Genes vision thing anymore and having to listen to Frakes in particular go on about it despite him being a Discovery writer bores me.

The Genes vision thing was thrown at Wrath of Khan and DS9 too and I think Discovery actually tries to do the Genes vision thing but like everything else it failed

pixelburp wrote: »
    The problem is, Gene's vision came born from an era when nuclear annihilation was very much a real prospect (and came close to happening with incidents ala the Cuban Missile Crisis), while internally America was at ground zero of huge societal changes. The yearning for better days felt more acute given the immediacy of the danger - you counldn't Fake News your way into ignoring the possibility of WW3.

While the abstract of a Utopia isn't itself archaic, the idea of humanity pulling itself from the brink seems ... well, too late. We probably won't destroy ourselves via nuclear war but instead seem intent on a painful, slow bleed of the species through climate collapse, while Late State Capitalism has strangled any notion (at least in America) that ordinary people might create a better tomorrow. Meanwhile, factions have politicised something as simple as "let's not poison our only planet", so even acknowledging there IS A PROBLEM has become a battle. Turn off the cloud and we'd hit middle ages in a few years. It's no wonder Apocalypse Fiction took over.

Within that context, Trek's ideals feel positively quaint, and further away than ever. That's not to say it shouldn't be present in the show, just that it has never felt so distant IMO and I kinda get why its writers aren't leaping to scribble tales of Happier Times. Well, that's just me, today. The world may have finally ground me into the dirt :o

Trek's utopian ideals were born out of a world in despair but now that the world is in despair there's no room for utopian ideals?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Trek's utopian ideals were born out of a world in despair but now that the world is in despair there's no room for utopian ideals?

No, more that we may have simply gone past the brink of mere despair. What do Utopian ideals offer when the world is already burning, and half its population either attack the teenager warning us, or go to great lengths to well-actually.

This could be the Monday talking so you might be best ignoring me ;) I'm not sure how you arrest a decline as abstract as environmental collapse.

Yeah, it's difficult -- but it's always been difficult. That's what made it great, and if it's more difficult today then that's just all the more reason I'd like to see it.

1000+ years in the future and still fighting over resources and shooting your way through problems. Another universe in disarray with trouble around every corner. We've all that to look forward to, I guess. Inspiring stuff it is not.

Might as well watch Star Wars. At least that has the good grace to pretend it's not *us*.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

I’m old enough to remember the original Star Trek being described as ‘Wagon Train to the stars’. It imagined humanity had overcome issues like poverty, war and racism and this new enlightenment had enabled them to journey to the stars.

When you look around at the mess being made of our planet and it’s environment, Roddenberry’s vision of what’s required of humanity to have a good future is just as relevant today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Anyone else she the Star Trek Superbowl trailer? ,

https://youtu.be/3Z4epgwCePc

That's it there.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

What’s March 4th?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭corkie

What’s March 4th?

Paramount Plus, ViacomCBS’s new rebranded version of CBS All Access, launches on March 4th

A special event will be held on February 24th

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

After finishing Deep Space 9 last week (what a shame they decided to include such a focus on the Bajoran religious bollox), I've started a re-watch of Voyager. As a lot of it's run on Sky1 was at the same time as my Leaving Cert and first years of college I reckon I missed a lot of episodes of it at the time. I'm currently 10 episodes in and enjoying having a general arc (being stranded in another quadrant of space) while still maintaining an episodic format.

Having episodes get to use that arc as a jumping off point (e.g. needing to find sources of energy or food, the crews isolation etc.) keeps a cohesiveness to the series while still giving the writers the freedom to develop the characters in stand alone episodes without needing to mangle reason in order to explain a season long mcguffin etc.

I never understood the crap about fuel etc.

They were constantly coming across space races (even Neelix) showing that Antimatter could not be THAT rare a commodity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I never understood the crap about fuel etc.

They were constantly coming across space races (even Neelix) showing that Antimatter could not be THAT rare a commodity.

They did talk about this on a few occasions. The point being that "federation anti-matter and warp plasma" was of a much high quality than most out there.

But yeah, it gets a bit wishy-washy. Kind of like suddenly introducing fuel in The Last Jedi when it had never been talked about before or since.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Kirby wrote: »
    They did talk about this on a few occasions. The point being that "federation anti-matter and warp plasma" was of a much high quality than most out there.

Did they? I don't remember that.

But yeah, it gets a bit wishy-washy. Kind of like suddenly introducing fuel in The Last Jedi when it had never been talked about before or since.

Makes no sense, it's antimatter. It's either pure or goes boom. It always struck me as weird that the legendary Starfleet engineers had no answer.

O Brien and Geordi wouldn't have been stuck.

Other one was lack of water.

Makes no sense, it's antimatter. It's either pure or goes boom. It always struck me as weird that the legendary Starfleet engineers had no answer.

O Brien and Geordi wouldn't have been stuck.

Other one was lack of water.

I don't think there was ever a lack of water ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Rawr

The only critical refuel item I remember in Trek was deuterium. I think they needed plenty of deuterium, but only a tiny amount of anti-matter to trigger a matter / anti-matter reaction in the Warp Core. There was at least one instance of Voyager needing more deuterium (can't remember 100%).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Rawr

They could replicate water. However the ships did appear to have working sinks, so I guess they had a water storage somewhere.

Rawr wrote: »
    They could replicate water. However the ships did appear to have working sinks, so I guess they had a water storage somewhere.

Or a replicator hooked up to the sinks

• Advertisement

I meant in the wider location
    Don't you remember Neelix being amazed that they would waste water, as it was a "scarce" resource.

Think it was when Mr. Vulcan found him in the bath

I meant in the wider location
    Don't you remember Neelix being amazed that they would waste water, as it was a "scarce" resource.

Think it was when Mr. Vulcan found him in the bath

That planet had no water alright and the Kazon had never seen a replicator

Rawr wrote: »
    The only critical refuel item I remember in Trek was deuterium. I think they needed plenty of deuterium, but only a tiny amount of anti-matter to trigger a matter / anti-matter reaction in the Warp Core. There was at least one instance of Voyager needing more deuterium (can't remember 100%).

They did a big restock in the Demon planet episode (end of season 4). I don't think fuel was mentioned as an issue in the remaining 3 seasons after that episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Doing a DS9 run through and came across this piece of "acting", had to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭corkie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

This is Garth Marenghi level of dodgy acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

This is brilliant,

https://youtu.be/g-WIyAhXa3w

This one is good too but I prefer my first link,

https://youtu.be/pxr9l1fUZlQ

I would say watch the second link first then the first link 2nd.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Avery Brooks' performance was just fantastic. Unconventional, but never not magnetic either. It made Sisko feel one bad day away from being properly unhinged...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭pah

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeLvMnea/

This guy's vids are hilarious, some great trek stuff in there.

Advertisement