Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

pah wrote: »
    I recall the lights went down and the sound of a transporter beam was heard, the set was changed while the lights were down, when they came up you were on the ship then you went through sliding doors to the Enterprise D bridge. It was awesome

I have a vague recollection of some emergency and you have to do a mission, so you have a escape a warbird or something. So long ago. Enjoyed it at the time.

Just started watching DS9 with one of the kids. I only ever watch it intermittently originally. So I've never seen all of it. Its holding their interest so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

https://deadline.com/2021/03/star-trek-movie-kalinda-vazquez-jj-abrams-paramount-1234706899/

Kalinda Vazquez set to write a script for a new Trek movie. A not entirely amazing past CV, while it's unclear if this will be an original script or feature preexisting characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I think I already hate it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I checked and she wrote the Short Trek "ask not" and the second part of season 3 Terran 2 parter. So yeah, not a fabulous start but look. I'm giving her the benefit here because why not? Not like the movies are ever that great bar ... what? Maybe 3, 4 stone cold classics total, couple of guilty pleasures maybe; so perhaps with a blank slate she can pen something good. That Terran story would be a millstone around anyone's neck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

beauf wrote: »
    Just started watching DS9 with one of the kids. I only ever watch it intermittently originally. So I've never seen all of it. Its holding their interest so far.

Good to hear. Enjoy it. Hope you enjoy all 7 seasons. What other series have you watched with them. Have you watched TOS or TNG with them?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Rawr

pixelburp wrote: »
    I checked and she wrote the Short Trek "ask not" and the second part of season 3 Terran 2 parter. So yeah, not a fabulous start but look. I'm giving her the benefit here because why not? Not like the movies are ever that great bar ... what? Maybe 3, 4 stone cold classics total, couple of guilty pleasures maybe; so perhaps with a blank slate she can pen something good. That Terran story would be a millstone around anyone's neck.

I'd be inclined to get some benefit of the doubt and hope for the best. This is, if this even got made. There's been plenty of announcements of a movie post-Beyond and they had a knack of fizzing out. But if this turns out to be made, maybe they'll steer away from JJ-Trek and just do something that just happens to be in the Trek universe? That might be good.

However, still a bit wary of anyone emerging from the Secret Hideout eco-system of Trek production.

AMKC wrote: »
    Good to hear. Enjoy it. Hope you enjoy all 7 seasons. What other series have you watched with them. Have you watched TOS or TNG with them?

No, none of them were interested.

We watched The Expanse, and one likes some SciFi books, so that was the leader to DS9.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,989 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Rawr wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to get some benefit of the doubt and hope for the best. This is, if this even got made. There's been plenty of announcements of a movie post-Beyond and they had a knack of fizzing out. But if this turns out to be made, maybe they'll steer away from JJ-Trek and just do something that just happens to be in the Trek universe? That might be good.

However, still a bit wary of anyone emerging from the Secret Hideout eco-system of Trek production.

Ya lots of these tend to fizzle out but another tendency Trek has is to copy whatever Star Wars does so expect desperate attempts to find a Trek "Mandalorian" or "Rogue One"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No, none of them were interested.

We watched The Expanse, and one likes some SciFi books, so that was the leader to DS9.

Awe that's a pity. I mean like I can understand them not been interested in TOS yet but maybe TNG, Voyager and Enterprise later on maybe when they are teens might interest them and if so they might eventually check out TOS.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

]
    Takes some surfeit of possessiveness, and an utter absence of self-awareness to rail against a kid's cartoon FFS. To be fair, this is a poison among a lot of fanboys of pop culture these days and not exclusive the Trek: wherein they can't seem to process the idea that not everything is going to explicitly speak to them. Be it the overall age-group, sexuality of main characters or whatever. It's pathetic.

As to the designs? Yeah they're not especially "Trek" in appearance, but I just don't have any interest in kids cartoons in general anyway. I know Clone Wars and the like try to angle the material at all ages, but it just comes down to personal taste. That and I just hatttttte TV CGI cartoons; the animation is always so rubbery and blergh. Again, personal taste, more power to people who enjoy Clone Wars et al.

Honestly, I think in principal it's amazing that Trek will expand into kids cartoons: it's literally going to prepare the ground for ... wait for it ... The Next Generation of Trek fans :D Not that the angry internet neckbeards will appreciate that - and I'm sure there are already 100s of YouTube videos of idiots like that ranting into their webcam.

Nice virtue signalling rant.

If it has no resemblance to any existing Star Trek then it's not expanding into anything, it's instead a studio using an existing brand to make more money.

People who disagree with you aren't idiots or pathetic by the way, maybe you need to pay more attention when watching Star Trek, you might learn something about attitudes towards others.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Indeed... looks very Final Space-y.

The robot basically looks like Kvn with legs.. and the globule/seal thing has a bit of 'Moonpie' to it.

Even the colours (purple!) and design of the backdrop look like a bit of a lift..

I'd be ok with that, I really enjoyed final space!

GreeBo wrote: »
    ]

If it has no resemblance to any existing Star Trek then it's not expanding into anything, it's instead a studio using an existing brand to make more money.

People who disagree with you aren't idiots or pathetic by the way, maybe you need to pay more attention when watching Star Trek, you might learn something about attitudes towards others.

Not sure why you're angry, you taking this personal for some reason? :confused: I have no trouble with people disagreeing with me, don't think myself and Evade here have ever seen eye to eye on this forum as a for instance lol :D

But some fans ranting about cartoons for kids sight unseen is possessive and the worst aspect of nerd / fan culture. Seen elsewhere not just in Trek. There's literally not a second of footage out there yet the reaction in some corners is ... Yeah. Kinda pathetic reaction for a transparent kids cartoon. And I hate to break it to you, but everything made in the Trek world is for making money - Trek ain't art ;)

But yeah, relax there, watch some Trek yourself :)

Even having read back a few pages, I have no context for what you're talking about.

We enjoyed final space. But personally I think its a bit OTT gory through much off it. Itchy and Scratchy style. We've started watching Lower Decks, its ok. I think both are more appealing to a younger audience than to me.

But its hard to find stuff you can watch with kids and teens. Any show that has a story or theme that develops over 40min or a season or two, has to better than most of the tiktok soundbytes content (drivel) they are bombarded with by social media. Or the non stop action flicks in movies. Its spam for the brain.

Not sure why you're angry, you taking this personal for some reason? :confused: I have no trouble with people disagreeing with me, don't think myself and Evade here have ever seen eye to eye on this forum as a for instance lol :D

But some fans ranting about cartoons for kids sight unseen is possessive and the worst aspect of nerd / fan culture. Seen elsewhere not just in Trek. There's literally not a second of footage out there yet the reaction in some corners is ... Yeah. Kinda pathetic reaction for a transparent kids cartoon. And I hate to break it to you, but everything made in the Trek world is for making money - Trek ain't art ;)

But yeah, relax there, watch some Trek yourself :)

Erm I'm not the angry one here chief! Pop quiz, which one of us is calling people pathetic and idiots?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭Inviere

The cartoon image definitely seems 'off' in terms of Star Trek, and seems far more fitting of Star Wars or somesuch. That's not to say it won't be good, it could be, we won't know until we watch it. That said, it's safe to say virtually every current Star Trek fan in existence who has been watching since childhood, didn't need a dumbed down cartoon to hook them, so I can see where some of the grievances are coming from in that regard. When written properly, Star Trek can appeal to all audiences.

I was sceptical, and even dismissive of Lower Decks at one point after my first attempt to watch it. I've recently finished it, and thouroughly enjoyed it this time around (I stuck with it past the first three eps, and kinda knew what to expect for the second attempt). There were some genuine lol moments, and it had some great stories. I'd consider it dumbed down Star Trek, but it was handled properly, by people who really 'get' what Star Trek is. I loved how
    in one episode it took the absolute piss out of the **** 'cinematic' lighting in modern Star Trek, with the screen haze, piercing bright lights in every scene, etc etc.....also had a good chuckle at Riker's reason for being late to the bridge of the Titan :D)

So yeah, I'm not automatically optimistic this kids show will be good, but look, even if it's not, it's no loss to us. I'd say one thing, I'd prob quicker watch the kids show than I would the possible Section 31 show.....it's not as if a kids show will be doing any more or less harm than garbage like that would be/will be (which can be safely said without seeing it, because we know how Section 31 was handled in Discovery - awfully.)

]

You seem to have completely made up your mind off one poster or your mind was made up before you ever even saw the poster.

And Pixelburp never said people who disagree with her are " idiots or pathetic" just that the actions of those sad incel fanboys are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

, but everything made in the Trek world is for making money - Trek ain't art ;)

Why isn't it art? Because it's popular? Because it was made to earn money?

I can guarantee you most of the stuff you do consider to be "art" was created so the artist could make money.

Erm I'm not the angry one here chief! Pop quiz, which one of us is calling people pathetic and idiots?

Another poster already answered for me but maybe reread what I actually SAID. And who I'm saying it about? You're the one who took aim at me so if you're not angry you sure are strident. I feel sorry, not angry, for the fanboy niche who rage over kids cartoons. Guess what though, I wasn't talking about this forum cos whatever else folks are, they aren't raging neckbeards.
    JayRoc wrote: »
    Why isn't it art? Because it's popular? Because it was made to earn money?

I can guarantee you most of the stuff you do consider to be "art" was created so the artist could make money.

Greebo made the assertion that Prodigy was some outlier for existing to just make money. That could be said of all Trek. Yes it has often had artistic merit but speculating that Prodigy is the first Trek to exist for money making purposes is naive. CBS/Paramount like money, and aren't making Discovery for the love ;)

Inviere wrote: »
    .... That said, it's safe to say virtually every current Star Trek fan in existence who has been watching since childhood, didn't need a dumbed down cartoon to hook them, so I can see where some of the grievances are coming from in that regard. ....

With the exception of DS9 I've always thought most Star Trek series have very obvious plots and simple stories. You usually predict the end and obvious "lesson" in the first 5 mins. If anything it's that which doesn't appeal to a teen audience. I dunno about "Kids". TOS is PG, DS9 and Discovery 15 the rest 12s. Lower Decks is 16+. Final Space is 12s but I think that's a bit low for that. Much of the Expanse is 16+.
    Which is why I watch then with my teens they often need context and explaining and the odd skip.

I wouldn't let them watch Discovery. Apart from being terrible, it dwells on very mature themes laboriously. It's a dreary slog.

So I dunno about dumbed down kids cartoon. Theres often a lot more going in modern cartoons than there was in those old TV shows.

Never heard of Prodigy where did you see that...

• Advertisement

So I dunno about dumbed down kids cartoon. Theres often a lot more going in modern cartoons than there was in those old TV shows.

If it's not dumbed down, then why aim it at kids? A broader appeal would then suffice no? It's really looks its going to be a more simplistic take on things, which as I say above, if done right will be fine. If not, it's no worse than some of the modern crap they're churning out.

Kate Mulgrew had a brief chat about the show online, if we're looking for some actual nuggets of info.

https://www.cbr.com/star-trek-why-kate-mulgrew-janeaway-returns/

If it's not dumbed down, then why aim it at kids? A broader appeal would then suffice no? It's really looks its going to be a more simplistic take on things, which as I say above, if done right will be fine. If not, it's no worse than some of the modern crap they're churning out.

I don't have a link to what you are talking about.

I don't have a link to what you are talking about. I've not seen this show... It's their a trailer anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Myrddin wrote: »
    I don't think it was two dimensional thinking really, it just looks better on screen if ships are oriented the same way as each other.

Yeah, done mostly for aesthetic purposes, really, although some rules&regulations about travel between and inside controlled systems might explain that - don't think it's ever been mentioned on-screen 'though.

A bit like the famous "banking fighters" in Star Wars - done because it was cool (and because they basically used WWII footage for a model), but it does also make sense in a biological way: a theorerical "space fighter" traveling at high speeds, would be artificially made to bank during turns to keep a positive g-force on the pilot; The human body tends to withstand positive g-force better than other vectors. We see this even with current tech - fighter jet pilots invert the plane if they're performing a rapid dive manoeuvre, so they can avoid excessive negative g loads.

I don't have a link to what you are talking about. I've not seen this show... It's their a trailer anywhere.

The only info thus far is the press release, that single cast picture, and news such as that Kate Mulgrew was returning to voice Janeway. Beyond that it's just tattle, and ones personal taste for more intentionally kid oriented TV programming. The battle lines of which seem to come down around to single posters' diet when they were kids, and I sense a general discomfort for something we can't immediately excuse watching to our SOs. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Rawr

The cartoon image definitely seems 'off' in terms of Star Trek, and seems far more fitting of Star Wars or somesuch. That's not to say it won't be good, it could be, we won't know until we watch it. That said, it's safe to say virtually every current Star Trek fan in existence who has been watching since childhood, didn't need a dumbed down cartoon to hook them, so I can see where some of the grievances are coming from in that regard. When written properly, Star Trek can appeal to all audiences.

I was sceptical, and even dismissive of Lower Decks at one point after my first attempt to watch it. I've recently finished it, and thouroughly enjoyed it this time around (I stuck with it past the first three eps, and kinda knew what to expect for the second attempt). There were some genuine lol moments, and it had some great stories. I'd consider it dumbed down Star Trek, but it was handled properly, by people who really 'get' what Star Trek is. I loved how
    in one episode it took the absolute piss out of the **** 'cinematic' lighting in modern Star Trek, with the screen haze, piercing bright lights in every scene, etc etc.....also had a good chuckle at Riker's reason for being late to the bridge of the Titan :D)

So yeah, I'm not automatically optimistic this kids show will be good, but look, even if it's not, it's no loss to us. I'd say one thing, I'd prob quicker watch the kids show than I would the possible Section 31 show.....it's not as if a kids show will be doing any more or less harm than garbage like that would be/will be (which can be safely said without seeing it, because we know how Section 31 was handled in Discovery - awfully.)

+1 I think I'm similarly inclined.

I also am of the feeling that good Trek can hook in people from all ages. Hell...I even remember as a 4/5 year old being hooked by The Wrath of Khan. That one *really* wasn't kid friendly :P I was also wary of Lower Decks until I too experienced a production that appeared to actually care about the universe of Trek. They were clearly having fun with it, with an enjoyable sense of humor and a sort of shared language we've all gotten used to over the years of watching Trek.

I can understand Viacom's desire to use Trek in a Nickelodeon production. They're re-launcing their streaming service and the only chance these companies have of completeing with Netflix / Amazon is to pad out their platform with as much content as they can get. This is part of why Discovery probably won't get cancelled, and the reason we may end up seeing Section 31 and Strange New Worlds. They need shows, as many as possible....quality be damned (I guess...)

However, Lower Decks was good, and I still suspect that this was due to Kurtzman & Co. being mostly absent from the production. Those people have an uncanny ability to take a potentially good idea and drive it off a very annoying cliff. That was absent in Lower Decks, and my hope at this early stage is that he was also be absent for the production of ST: Prodigy. If so...there is some hope of some good Trek, even if it is a kids show. I am of the firm belief, that even a kids show should be approached with the intention of entertaining everyone watching. Actual "family entertainmnet" in its more useful form, a show that appeals to everyone at mulitple levels, as opposed to a lightly written adventure slokk that will only appeal to the youngest. Very few manage or bother with the approach of broad-appeal, but if we're lucky, maybe they will. I am curious to see what they come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeha I agree with above. My four year old is really getting into Trek clips. Although probably confuses a lot of people at the playground when he screams the Borg are coming while on the swings.

All Eyes On Rafah

Oh, apologies, I thought you were aware of the show. It's called Star Trek Prodigy, it's developed and produced Nickelodeon (the children's tv channel), and has been described by Viacom as being aimed at children and family audiences. There's currently no trailer, only a still image of some very cartoony looking characters. So combined with the image, & the other facts I've mentioned, it's a very safe assumption this will be more akin to Phineas & Ferb than it will be to Unification I & II. Which is fine, I'm ok with it that.....though it's a slight shame that Star Trek used to be able to just attract fans of all ages, rather than specifically aimed shows at specific demographics.

• Advertisement

Just because Trek can appeal to all ages doesn't mean it's not still ok to have a kids show.

Also the "all ages" family TV show is probably gonna be a thing of the past due to the fact that houses have about 10 viewing screens and 100s of channels and watch any time streaming services. TV required catch all shows because houses had 1 TV and 2 to 10 channels

Advertisement