Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

EnterNow wrote: »
    Voyager, Season 1 -Eye Of The Needle

Not too bad an episode considering it was so early in the first season. Kim discovers a tiny wormhole that leads to the Alpha Quadrant, though it later transpires to be a rift in time too which means the other end of the wormhole was 20 years in the past.

I still believe they could have done better things with the premise though.

Great episode, feels very next generation.

What does my head in about Voyager is the Kazon. The best speed on their ships is warp 2, yet Voyager keeps having run ins with Culadh (sp) for nearly 2 years. Makes no sense at all to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Voyager, Season 1 -Eye Of The Needle

Not too bad an episode considering it was so early in the first season. Kim discovers a tiny wormhole that leads to the Alpha Quadrant, though it later transpires to be a rift in time too which means the other end of the wormhole was 20 years in the past.

I still believe they could have done better things with the premise though.

Great episode, feels very next generation.

What does my head in about Voyager is the Kazon. The best speed on their ships is warp 2, yet Voyager keeps having run ins with Culadh (sp) for nearly 2 years. Makes no sense at all to me.
    Janeway made so may pitstops to check out every astronomical anomaly and chat to anyone who didnt want to blow the ship to smitherings. Tis the galactic version of the tortise and the hare.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You know what i hate? Something bad is happening, and the Enterprise needs to get there quickly.

So Picard increases to Warp 8. Why not 9?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

Kiith wrote: »
    You know what i hate? Something bad is happening, and the Enterprise needs to get there quickly.

Because that ship couldn't maintain warp 9 for very long perhaps?! Thats why he sometimes says "best possible speed". Takes into account the distance...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

BULLER wrote: »
    Because that ship couldn't maintain warp 9 for very long perhaps?! Thats why he sometimes says "best possible speed". Takes into account the distance...
    The Enterprise had a maximum sustainable speed of warp 9.6 for twelve hours.

presumably somewhere between 8-9 was the sustainable cruising speed.

compared to intrepid class for example
    The warp drive allowed the ship a top sustainable cruise velocity of warp factor 9.975

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Galaxy class had a top cruising speed of 9.6 afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Galaxy class had a top cruising speed of 9.6 afaik

Only for 12 hours apparently ... http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Galaxy_class
    Speed:
    Warp 9.8 (Possible at an extreme risk)
    Warp 9.6 (12 hours)
    Warp 9.2 (max. cruise)
    Warp 6 (initial average cruise)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Kiith wrote: »

Maybe it's not life or death urgent, & Captains are mindful of the now harmful effect that high warp has on sub-space?

Maybe time is needed to plan/design a mission. Simply arriving at the door of a crisis without a solid plan can't be too helpful?

Maybe its very very fuel intensive traveling at warp 9 & above {something that Trek doesn't really explore}

Maybe, certainly I know in the later seasons anyway, certain speed limit restrictions exists only to be broken in an extreme emergency. I remember an admiral saying to Picard "Your authorised to exceed warp speed limitations for the duration of this mission" at some point

There's certainly a few possible canon explanations, though every situation will differ & every situation will usually have its own explanation for it.

What I wanna know it, why is the Enterprise always the nearest vessel :p

What I wanna know it, why is the Enterprise always the nearest vessel :p

They were not the nearest during First Contact and look what happened to the fleet then?
    Also it would be kinda boring watching them say; "the "Hood" is closer, let them deal with it" followed by an hour of Data dreaming or something
    (oh wait...)

Also it would be kinda boring watching them say; "the "Hood" is closer, let them deal with it" followed by an hour of Data dreaming or something
    (oh wait...)

No kidding. Maybe they should show an episode where the night watch crew are on, & its 45 mins or bridge beeps & conn updates

• Advertisement

Great two parter here for you Norrie

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Only for 12 hours apparently ... http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Galaxy_class

Yeah 12 hours was the fastest that they could safely maintain for any length of time.
    Given that they never really explained the relation between speed and warp factor, it will be hard to understand how much quicker than 9.2 that 9.6 actually is (or Voyager's 9.975 Max cruise)
    Most people take it as a somewhat exponential scale, with there being huge differences, in velocity, between the higher factors decimal places

Most people take it as a somewhat exponential scale, with there being huge differences, in velocity, between the higher factors decimal places

I always understood it as an exponential increase, certainly at high warp anyway. Warp 9.975 is HUGELY faster than Warp 9.5 for example

Why do we know these things???
    Imagine all of the real world knowledge that we have not learned or forgotten, to make room for all of this!!

Why do we know these things???
    Imagine all of the real world knowledge that we have not learned or forgotten, to make room for all of this!!

I suppose I've been watching Trek for the better part of 15 years, you tend to absorb knowledge about it over time. Frankly, it's vastly more interesting than reality :D

I always understood it as an exponential increase, certainly at high warp anyway. Warp 9.975 is HUGELY faster than Warp 9.5 for example

I take it as such too but people smarter than I ahve tried to plot the relative speeds quoted vs the time it takes to make a set distance and it never quite works out to what it should be.

Also some of the speed increases should have drastically cut arrival times (instead of the few hours quoted).

I take it as such too but people smarter than I ahve tried to plot the relative speeds quoted vs the time it takes to make a set distance and it never quite works out to what it should be.

Also some of the speed increases should have drastically cut arrival times (instead of the few hours quoted).

Yeah the same can be said of much of Trek's technology. It's based on real world physics, but isn't bound by them. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense because, well, it can't

Yeah the same can be said of much of Trek's technology. It's based on real world physics, but isn't bound by them. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense because, well, it can't

Now off to learn more Trek and the top speed of the Enterprise-E

Aparently 9.95

Now off to learn more Trek and the top speed of the Enterprise-E

Aparently 9.95

Ah the elusive Sovereign Class...regularly seen posing around Nebulae, Borg Cubes, Spatial anomalies, & Romulan Dreadnoughts

Ah the elusive Sovereign Class...regularly seen posing around Nebulae, Borg Cubes, Spatial anomalies, & Romulan Dreadnoughts

My mind read that in David Attenborough's voice

• Advertisement

Normally I wait until after an episode to comment on it, good bad or indifferent. In this case, I just can't. It's still playing here in the background yet I'm compelled to post up how seriously crap, recycled, rehashed, tripe it is.

Voyager, Season 1 - Ex Post Facto.

It's about three different TNG/DS9 eps in one, and it just does not work. Paris is accused of murdering the neglected wife of the usual brilliant scientist {Riker was the same in A Matter of Perspective}. His punishment is implanted in his brain {O'Brien in Hard Time}, & Tuvok melds with him to find the truth {god knows how many episodes feature this for this reason}.

Truly awful, awful stuff. Especially disappointing after the damn good Eye Of The Needle

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I suppose I've been watching Trek for the better part of 15 years, you tend to absorb knowledge about it over time. Frankly, it's vastly more interesting than reality :D

Agreed! the useless treks facts i've learned watching numerous re-runs is just mind boggling tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Normally I wait until after an episode to comment on it, good bad or indifferent. In this case, I just can't. It's still playing here in the background yet I'm compelled to post up how seriously crap, recycled, rehashed, tripe it is.

It's about three different TNG/DS9 eps in one, and it just does not work. Paris is accused of murdering the neglected wife of the usual brilliant scientist {Riker was the same in A Matter of Perspective}. His punishment is implanted in his brain {O'Brien in Hard Time}, & Tuvok melds with him to find the truth {god knows how many episodes feature this for this reason}.

Truly awful, awful stuff. Especially disappointing after the damn good Eye Of The Needle

That's Voyager!! Wait until the reset button episodes :P

Eye Of The Needle was a good episode, but was the time difference thing necessary? Was it planned all along or was it lazy writing for a good amazeballs plot-twist.

DS9 had an similar episode with the plot twist.

IvySlayer wrote: »

The Sound Of Her Voice? I enjoyed that one :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

That's Voyager!! Wait until the reset button episodes :P

Eye Of The Needle was a good episode, but was the time difference thing necessary? Was it planned all along or was it lazy writing for a good amazeballs plot-twist.

Yeah DS9 did, but that was towards the end of the sixth season so at least that time Voyager didn't just recycle another Trek plot.

The Sound Of Her Voice? I enjoyed that one :o

I did too, but the time difference thing bugged me. It wasn't necessary and lazy writing.

Oh I totally forgot Voyager does another episode exactly like this a few seasons later :P

I don't know if you've seen it or not!

I don't know if you've seen it or not!

Seen them all multiple, multiple times man :)

Seen them all multiple, multiple times man :)

Actually just thinking I might have not though about it too much, it's the one where Torres is arrested for having violent thoughts in a telepathic society.

• Advertisement

Actually just thinking I might have not though about it too much, it's the one where Torres is arrested for having violent thoughts in a telepathic society.

Yep she bumps into someone & subconsciously has an aggressive though & is punished for it. I remember it well, like I do the rest of them :o

Advertisement