Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Evade wrote: »
    It was.

It was for too much like a Federation era Starfleet ship for me. Because of that it kind of implies all Federation Starfleet ship designs are mostly derived from human technology as opposed to a big collaborative effort.

Perhaps but doesn't that kinda make sense given that most Starfleef personnel on the shows are human?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There was a fan theory that suggested there are ships with majority Vulcan crew, majority Andorian crew etc. due to the practicalities of each species having different environment preferences. Though I would have expected to see ships with style influences from the Vulcan and Andorian ships shown on Ent in the big TNG and DS9 battle scenes if that was the case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's also a good job all those Federation species are bipeds; no need for species neutral consoles, chairs, doors... toilets? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Evade

Perhaps but doesn't that kinda make sense given that most Starfleef personnel on the shows are human?
    Not really. Presumably the Federation Starfleet would want to incorporate the best technologies from all member races but because NX Enterprise has all the visual cues of the 24th century ships (red impulse engines aside) it implies that the race with the least space faring experience just happened to create the best technology.

If, for example, NX Enterprise had a brownish hull, purple warp nacelle glow, yellow bussards, and white phasers and then throughout the series you see that the Vulcan ships had blue nacelle glow and red bussards, Andorian ships had orange phasers, and Tellarite ships had greyish hulls in a primary/secondary configuration it would retroactively make the Federation Starfleet ships look much more like a collaboration.

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's also a good job all those Federation species are bipeds; no need for species neutral consoles, chairs, doors... toilets? :D
    Most of them have a common ancestor. There's a TAS character with three arms and legs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Most of them have a common ancestor. There's a TAS character with three arms and legs.

That noise you hear in the background is the Canon Police on their way to have words with you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Niska

Well, except for Cetacean Ops.

That noise you hear in the background is the Canon Police on their way to have words with you ;)
    TAS was recanonised for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Enterprise D had a Cetacean Ops

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Have to use all that space for something I guess.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    Have to use all that space for something I guess.

Most of the empty space in a ship is used for free floating turbolift caverns :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Toilets......Bolians......tricky.

All Eyes On Rafah

Niska wrote: »
    Well, except for Cetacean Ops.
    breezy1985 wrote: »
    Enterprise D had a Cetacean Ops

The Canon Police are coming for you too.

And, possibly, all those Seaquest DSV fans out there; all five of them. :pac:

The Canon Police are coming for you too.

And, possibly, all those Seaquest DSV fans out there; all five of them. :pac:

7 of us actually

7 of us actually

I enjoyed Seaquest before it got totally silly in the last season.

All Eyes On Rafah

I didn't even know there was a season with a new captain or an alien abduction story

7 of us actually
    I didn't even know there was a season with a new captain or an alien abduction story

My God Bones, what have I done?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

7 of us actually
    Actually 8 know. I always loved Seaquest DSV.
    Thought about buying the model but never bothered in the end.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The only things I think I remember about Seaquest is it's a submarine, there's a kid with dolphin, and there's a time travel element thing near the the end where the Seaquest travels a few years into the future and in one of the episodes the kid shows his ID with his original birthday on it and the guy checking it doesn't believe it's really him because he clearly doesn't look that old. Yes that last point is weirdly specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The only things I think I remember about Seaquest is it's a submarine, there's a kid with dolphin, and there's a time travel element thing near the the end where the Seaquest travels a few years into the future and in one of the episodes the kid shows his ID with his original birthday on it and the guy checking it doesn't believe it's really him because he clearly doesn't look that old. Yes that last point is weirdly specific.

All I remember about Seaquest are depressing Sunday nights before school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,946 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

All I remember about Seaquest are depressing Sunday nights before school

That was 50 percent of its audience... school kids looking for distraction while summoning will power to finish homework!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Rawr

My God Bones, what have I done?

What you had to do, what you always do. Turn a Trek tread into a fighting chance to talk about Seaquest DSV.

Never knew it even got a Sega Genesis game

https://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/seaquest-dsv/screenshots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Never knew it even got a Sega Genesis game

https://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/seaquest-dsv/screenshots

I remember having it on the Gameboy, as far as I remember it was a bit ****e! I used to love the TNG gameboy game though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

ENT was not a starfleet ship, nor was DS9. Hardly imaginative or original.
    why should that ship be anything like the MF of star trek? It's just a random ship that we have no reason to care about, like a shuttle craft or similar.

Picard was not as bad as DIS but I'm also in no hurry to rewatch, it was very poor overall with a total mess of a plot that was all over the place.

And for the record LD is hilarious.

I actually meant a Starfleet crew, not ship.

Archer’s Enterprise was a Starfleet in all but name. And DS9 was under the command of Starfleet. In Picard they are civilian adventurers. For Trek that is imaginative and original.

And being the Millennium Falcon of Star Trek means used and beat up. It would be more interesting than the ship they have.

Lower Decks is not hilarious.

Archer’s Enterprise was a Starfleet in all but name.
    Technically it was Starfleet in name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Technically it was Starfleet in name.

Did they call it Starfleet?

Did they call it Starfleet?
    Yeah, United Earth Starfleet.

Yeah, United Earth Starfleet.

Was definitely called Starfleet, sometimes Pinkskins.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

Why does Michael Chabon keep writing blog posts about the recent history and background about events in STP? Does he not realise he had an entire 10 episode series that he squandered where some of these points could have been explored? Apparently Romulans are thruples but the only Romulan couple in the series, apart from the siblings, gave no hint of this.

Advertisement