Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Evade wrote: »
    Why does Michael Chabon keep writing blog posts about the recent history and background about events in STP? Does he not realise he had an entire 10 episode series that he squandered where some of these points could have been explored? Apparently Romulans are thruples but the only Romulan couple in the series, apart from the siblings, gave no hint of this.

Seems to feel the need to to make public every thought that comes into his head. Still involved as a writer and sadly Akiva Goldsman is still a showrunner.
    Check out his career its mostly the crappiest of theold Batman films, Transformers and the Da Vinci Code

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Evade

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Seems to feel the need to to make public every thought that comes into his head.
    I think I'm going to have to read what's considered his best book, I can't believe he's actually consideted to be a good writer.
    breezy1985 wrote: »
    ...sadly Akiva Goldsman is still a showrunner.
    Check out his career its mostly the crappiest of theold Batman films, Transformers and the Da Vinci Code

I liked Fringe but it's time travelly parallel timeline concept meant inserting weird or contradictory stuff out of no where was part of the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Fringe was brilliant.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Rawr

Ha....looks like that Chinese rover to Mars has landed on Utopia Planitia.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57122914

Had no idea it was the real-world name for a bit of Mars. I’m guessing they haven’t found the Galaxy class Development facility yet :P

Star Trek often uses the real names for things that already have names. Wolf 359 sounds like a sci fi name but it's a real star, it's in the Leo constellation and a little under 8ly from here. On the scale of Star Trek it would be like having the last stand against a fleet invading Ireland in Dunlin Bay. It doesn't come up on the first page of results because pop culture dominates the internet. A bit like if you google Mordred from Aurthurian legends half the knowledge panel images are of a blonde anime girl.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

one that always make me smirk is section 31

as section 31 here in ireland was a news worthy thing for us older fans

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Yeah, United Earth Starfleet.

yeah, my bad. mixed up the Federation and Starfleet in the reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Andorrian blood is blue. Would you have had it blue or a different colour altogether? Me I would have made there blood white. If you think about our blood is red and we are not all red we are white and black and brown. It's the pigment in our skin that defines how our skin looks not our blood.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I think blue blood is fine. While normally human skin colour isn't really determined by the colour of our blood for some people sometimes it is, like when a lighter skinned person is embarrassed, angry, or drunk, because a lot of blood rushes to near the surface IIRC. Andorian Physiology could be in a permanent state of this which might make sense if they were constantly trying to cool down because they evolved on an ice planet and we almost always see them at temperatures more in the range of comfortable for humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

AMKC wrote: »
    Andorrian blood is blue. Would you have had it blue or a different colour altogether? Me I would have made there blood white. If you think about our blood is red and we are not all red we are white and black and brown. It's the pigment in our skin that defines how our skin looks not our blood.

There are animals on earth with blood that is blue. Not a big deal imo

• Advertisement
    Ms

There are animals on earth with blood that is blue. Not a big deal imo
    Really?

I know just saying if had of been me directing it whatever it would have been white blood. I wonder do the Aener have blue blood too?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemocyanin

Same blood as Vulcans (Though I think Dr. McCoy refers to him as green blooded when hemocynanin blood is bright blue. There are some pictures of horseshoe crab blood if you google it though I should add a trigger warning for animal cruelty.)

Edit: this is more interesting , didn't know there were also green and purple blooded animals https://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/10/31/7133779/blood-blue-green-purple

Stark wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemocyanin

Same blood as Vulcans (Though I think Dr. McCoy refers to him as green blooded when hemocynanin blood is bright blue. There are some pictures of horseshoe crab blood if you google it though I should add a trigger warning for animal cruelty.)

Edit: this is more interesting , didn't know there were also green and purple blooded animals https://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/10/31/7133779/blood-blue-green-purple
    I think Vulcan and Romulan blood is green because it uses copper oxide to transport oxygen around the body instead of iron oxide.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My TOS Enterprise has arrived... here she is alongside her newer sister:

20210517-151220.jpg

20210517-151100.jpg

20210517-151009.jpg

I am going to need a glass case or something! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    My TOS Enterprise has arrived... here she is alongside her newer sister:

20210517-151220.jpg

20210517-151100.jpg

20210517-151009.jpg

I am going to need a glass case or something! :D

Just stay away from them when your angry. Don't want to break your little ships

Those are nice. I wish Eaglemoss would do everything to scale.

Ms

@Kaiser Very nice.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I said that too one time but it just would not work. Imagine how big a Borg Cube would have to be compared to say the Galaxy class Enterprise-D. A shuttle would be tiny. I think it is more about the detail on the ships than anything else.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think Vulcan and Romulan blood is green because it uses copper oxide to transport oxygen around the body instead of iron oxide.

Hemocyanin is copper bound to oxygen.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

@Kaiser Very nice.

Ta. I have a feeling/hope the entire Enterprise line will follow so I'll get them all. They're my first and only models/collectables and with the gold versions you don't have misaligned text/paint to worry about.

I did seriously think about the XL Gold Enterprise-D but in the end I just couldn't justify the 180 quid they were asking for it.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    Hemocyanin is copper bound to oxygen.
    Sorry I didn't click the link, I had read something yesteday that said the blue colour was from the presence of copper, not using copper instead of iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I did seriously think about the XL Gold Enterprise-D but in the end I just couldn't justify the 180 quid they were asking for it.

Yeah, some of the prices are a bit mad. I'd love to get some of the shuttles, but those packs were over 100 quid!

I said that too one time but it just would not work. Imagine how big a Borg Cube would have to be compared to say the Galaxy class Enterprise-D. A shuttle would be tiny. I think it is more about the detail on the ships than anything else.
    True, a few scales would do either. They come close with some of them, the Enterprise-A is 1:2260 and the Stargazer is 1:2280 which given the size of the model is probably indistinguishable but why go that far and not the whole way.

Ms

Yeah, some of the prices are a bit mad. I'd love to get some of the shuttles, but those packs were over 100 quid!

They do deals all the time. Just keep on eye out for the deals. I find the site a lot less user friendly and harder to use than when they started. I stopped collecting a while ago. Still some ships I want but only if they are on deal. Feck that paying full price.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

They do deals and use the codes for 10-15% with the deal. Usually helps with the price.

I've spent way too much on Eaglemoss stuff, I've maybe over 70 ships and figurines.

All Eyes On Rafah

Ms

They do deals and use the codes for 10-15% with the deal. Usually helps with the price.

I've spent way too much on Eaglemoss stuff, I've maybe over 70 ships and figurines.

Me too. At the beginning I thought I would get them all but then they kept adding more and more and I just said Awe feck that. Just nit pick the ones I really want now. Don't even have enough space for all the ones I have and the prices have gone up and up so no way I wouldn't pay full price now unless I really want that ship. This is one I would really love that they have not yet done. I was the one who first suggested the Rebel Borg ship to them. Ok maybe not the first but I was certainly one of the first to suggest the Borg ship from Descent.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Me too. At the beginning I thought I would get them all but then they kept adding more and more and I just said Awe feck that. Just nit pick the ones I really want now. Don't even have enough space for all the ones I have and the prices have gone up and up so no way I wouldn't pay full price now unless I really want that ship. This is one I would really love that they have not yet done. I was the one who first suggested the Rebel Borg ship to them. Ok maybe not the first but I was certainly one of the first to suggest the Borg ship from Descent.

The only one I really want (need) at this stage is Earth Spacedock. I nearly bought it when it came out and decided I had no more space at the time. Still have no more space, but would love that model!

Ms

The only one I really want (need) at this stage is Earth Spacedock. I nearly bought it when it came out and decided I had no more space at the time. Still have no more space, but would love that model!

Me too. Just need to get it on deal. I nearly did. Just missed out the last time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

It's kind of hard to get a decent grasp of how big a lot of them are.

I was about to order the TOS shuttle until I saw a buyer review with a photo and realised it was microscopic.

• Advertisement
    Ms

So I was just watching the DS9 episode "Field of Fire" and in it it is mentioned that the USS Grissom had a crew of 1250 and when it was destroyed only 6 of the crew survived. Well I have done some searching and it seems it was an Excelsior class ship. So what is your opinion on an Excelsior class having over 1200 crew? That is more than a Galaxy class which is a bigger ship.

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/USS_Grissom_(NCC-42857)

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement