Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Evade

AMKC wrote: »
    So Sloan in section 31. How do you think they got around? I think they had developed long range transporters that could not be detected by standard sensors.
    A massive "secret" fleet of ships to rival Starfleet itself. Oh, no, wait, DS9 is a series that makes sense. Most of the time I imagine they travel on Starfleet ships posing as low ranking Starfleet personnel being ferried from one post to another or on civilian transports.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    He completely slut shames Jadzia on a number of occasions. Any horny man I know would have been delighted to have Jadzia and her former hot Riza lover in bikinis but Work sees it as a reason to join the Federations version of the Proud Boys.
    I don't know. If you think your girlfriend might cheat on you does it really matter how hot the person she's cheating with is? I'm not implying Worf was right, he should have trusted her more.
    He is also constantly using his Klingon traditions to be a boring prudish muppet but the other Klingons we see are wild drinking horny pirate.
    I'm pretty sure Ezri pointed out he's the only one that actually follows the rules about honour and such the rest of them just pay lip service.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Evade wrote: »
    I don't know. If you think your girlfriend might cheat on you does it really matter how hot the person she's cheating with is? I'm not implying Worf was right, he should have trusted her more.

I'm pretty sure Ezri pointed out he's the only one that actually follows the rules about honour and such the rest of them just pay lip service.

Fair play to Ezrii. The Riza episode should have been the end of Jadzia Dax and Worf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Rawr

A massive "secret" fleet of ships to rival Starfleet itself.

You forget; A massive "secret" fleet of ships to rival Starfleet itself....that regular Starfleet computers can identify.

(Micheal's shuttle computer identifies a S31 ship as...exactly that....:rolleyes:)

Rawr wrote: »
    You forget; A massive "secret" fleet of ships to rival Starfleet itself....that regular Starfleet computers can identify.

(Micheal's shuttle computer identifies a S31 ship as...exactly that....:rolleyes:)
    I think you're being too mean with STD. I can look at Flightradar24 and see every secret CIA, KGB FSB, MI6, CSIS, etc. flight, right? RIGHT!?
    Sarcasm in case anyone had any doubts.

• Advertisement

I think you're being too mean with STD. I can look at Flightradar24 and see every secret CIA, KGB FSB, MI6, CSIS, etc. flight, right? RIGHT!?
    Sarcasm in case anyone had any doubts.

WRONG!...... You need PlaneFinder.net for those..... :pac:

Rawr wrote: »

Discovery can't do subtle which meant making a season all about a secret organization a bit of a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It looked like in Season 1 they were going to do something cool with Section 31. A few little Easter eggy hints like the black badges and the registry number. I was fully sure Captain Lorca was going to be involved. But then we had the mess that was Season 2's S31.

Stark wrote: »
    It looked like in Season 1 they were going to do something cool with Section 31. A few little Easter eggy hints like the black badges and the registry number. I was fully sure Captain Lorca was going to be involved. But then we had the mess that was Season 2's S31.

What's the registry number thing ?

What's the registry number thing ?
    NCC-1031 is Discovery's registry number. People speculated that it had a connection to Section 31 when in reality it was picked because Brian Fuller likes Halloween (American dates) and now it disrupts the incremental increase in registry numbers.

• Advertisement

NCC-1031 is Discovery's registry number. People speculated that it had a connection to Section 31 when in reality it was picked because Brian Fuller likes Halloween (American dates) and now it disrupts the incremental increase in registry numbers.

It should have been bigger than 1701 right ?

A small computer display in TNG had a USS Heart of Gold NCC 42 captained by a Capt. Douglas Adams

And then they make things wierd by giving the Discovery Refit NCC-1031-A.
    Feels like were watching the TOS movies for ideas and not paying attention to the small details....like for example 1701 being destroyed.

It should have been bigger than 1701 right ?

A small computer display in TNG had a USS Heart of Gold NCC 42 captained by a Capt. Douglas Adams
    It should have been much closer. If the Discovery and the rest of the Crossfields as a technology test beds were slightly older than the Constitution class it wouldn't have made much of a difference but its a registry is way too low.

To be absolutely fair, it's not the first time something like this has happened and the three times that I know of were on DS9.
    • The most obvious one is why Sisko's Defiant is NX-74205 and not NX-1764-Letter taking the registry from TOS' Defiant. Maybe as a prototype it got a registry before a name and that's why or something to do with how the 1764 one was stricken. The real reason is it was supposed to be called Valiant but hero ships in the concurrent series both starting with V was thought to be too confusing.
    • Another one of Sisko's ships, the one he was on at Wolf-359, was the Saratoga but NCC-31911 not NCC-1887 like the one in the Voyage Home. Both were Miranda classes too which makes it stranger still.
    • Lastly. There was a USS Bellerophon at Wolf-359, a Nebula class NCC-62048, which was obviously destroyed. But then a less than a decade later in universe there's a USS Bellerophon that take a delegation to Romulus, an Intrepid class NCC-74705.
    I'm more forgiving of stuff like this in older series because they didn't have access to the massive nerd fuelled repository I used to check the registry numbers just now.

LCARS displays were full of set designer jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What actor would you love to see in Star Trek that has never been in it?

For me its Warwick Davis. He has got to be one of the most versatile actors ever. Honestly I did not realise untill today that he was in Star Wars or Harry potter not that I watch the latter only ever seen the 2nd last film of it and I live next door to a former Harry Potter actor too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Question for the research nerds, born out of curiosity: is it known how large Starfleet is in terms of ship numbers? And for clarity, by "ships" I'd mean anything larger than a runabout and useful in a fight (and further to that, counting peacetimes and not the immediate aftermath of [say] the Dominion War).

Just wondering if you could run out of coincidentally Earth-centric names every ship seems to have as its name.

It's very hard to nail down. The Dominion War gives us a decent floor at 1,100 form at least ten fleets all comprised of about 110 ships assuming they're all roughly equal. It's probably much higher than that as not every ship was part of one of these fleets.

For comparison the US navy had over 6,000 ships all with unique names during the second world war.

Once you settle on a scheme coming up with names is pretty easy. The modern US Navy names, barring a few exceptions, destroyers after people, ballistic missile subs after states, attack subs after cities, cruisers after naval battles, and carriers don't really have a convention. The pre-1945 Japanese Navy named destroyers after wind related weather (yes really), light cruisers* after rivers, heavy cruisers and battlecruisers after mountains, and battleships after regions.

*this is a little muddy because some light cruisers were named after mountains but they were always supposed to end up as heavy cruisers, it was done to bend the limits imposed by the London and Washington naval treaties.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,943 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's very hard to nail down. The Dominion War gives us a decent floor at 1,100 form at least ten fleets all comprised of about 110 ships assuming they're all roughly equal. It's probably much higher than that as not every ship was part of one of these fleets.

Do you think that's 110 starships only or would it include runabouts (which are named) and attack fighters (guessing these are not named, equivalent in navy would be motor torpedo boats).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Do you think that's 110 starships only or would it include runabouts (which are named) and attack fighters (guessing these are not named, equivalent in navy would be motor torpedo boats).
    From the context of the quote 110 (it's actually 112) comes from it sounds like it's supposed to mean starships.

EDIT: I also assumed the 10 fleets were concurrent and not having a situation like the first, second, and fourth fleets suffering heavy losses and their remnants being formed into the eight fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Never realised that Tom Paris was such a genius - back up doctor, best pilot in the galaxy, warp engineer, inventor of warp 10, ship designer, expert at physics, history and holodecks.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Never realised that Tom Paris was such a genius - back up doctor, best pilot in the galaxy, warp engineer, inventor of warp 10, ship designer, expert at physics, history and holodecks.

And Salamander

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And Salamander

Trek finally had its cast have sex, and it was as giant salamanders.

And Salamander
    And special forces commando.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Trek finally had its cast have sex, and it was as giant salamanders.

My favorite reference in Lower Decks was the salamander

Data and Tasha had sex in the second episode of TNG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I've finally bitten the bullet, sucked it up, and have begun a Voyager run-through. This will be the first time I have watched it since it came out.

It's better than I remember. And there is a lot less Kazon stuff in the early episodes than I remember, but I am only seven episodes in so maybe it gets worse.

While I am enjoying it a lot more than I expected, I am already dreading the Tuvix episode. It's the only one I really have any strong memory of, but even as a teenager I was disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

And special forces commando.

And terrorist /freedom fighter

All Eyes On Rafah

And terrorist /freedom fighter
    And the winner of every Nicholas Locarno lookalike contest.

I think the only thing he isn't good at is following through on his lies to cover up his mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

And the winner of every Nicholas Locarno lookalike contest.

I think the only thing he isn't good at is following through on his lies to cover up his mistakes.

He did somehow manage to win the heart of one B'Elanna Torres

All Eyes On Rafah

He did somehow manage to win the heart of one B'Elanna Torres

Miral: Daddy, how did you meet mommy?
    Tom: Well honey, we were stuck on the same starship and far away from home. Then one day one of Mommy's engineers went into heat, bit Mommy, and then Mommy went into heat. So I did what I had to do and I let her f*ck the bejeesus out of me (Tom would know this phrase given his affinity for Ireland, he did create Fairhaven after all) in a cave.
    B'Elanna: Tom!
    Tom: What, it's the truth.
    Miral: *confused*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Apparently, Tom Paris was supposed to be the main character along with Janeway. On the pilot they spend a lot of time with Paris and his backstory.

Advertisement