Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

AMKC wrote: »
    Awe it's not that bad. The whole idea for the ship was that was similar to submarine designs of today. This is after all Starfleets first Warp 5 ship.
    I much prefer Enterprise anydsy to Discovery. At least Enterprise looks like it belongs in the Star Trek Universe Discovery is just a mish mash of designs and terrible at that. All the familiar elements are in Enterprise like a warp core a bridge nacelles and bussed collectors as well as a deflector and the design is similar but more primitive to what will come after it. Earth was just using the little resources they had to build the ship. They did not yet have unlimited resources like later on when they are in the Federation to build luxury cruisers like the Galaxy class Enterprise.

I totally agree that it's more Trek than Discovery which is Trek in name only.

picard was a clusterfuq....

picard becoming an android seems to go against everything we seems to have learned of picards personality.
    Seven becomes bi to tick some box.
    They seemed intent on overkill....out went 2 of the 3 android sisters, gone was icheb, maddox and hugh.

and next season they are hauling out guinan and q to make it more of a tng nostalgia trip

I'm skeptical of even considering Picard canon insofar as it wouldn't be amiss to regard new Simpsons as non-canonical. Maybe it's all just a Nexus fever dream, I don't think they ever left.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,943 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Interesting article with quotes from Avery Brooks on taking on the role of Sisko.
    Not so much that there were no role models of black father figures but not in a complex serious way (is that a dig at Cosby Show maybe?).
    That it was a position of authority but the character was not defined by the colour of his skin.

https://www.nashvillescene.com/arts-culture/article/13043500/deep-space-nines-avery-brooks-went-where-few-black-men-on-tv-had-gone-before

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That top photo is very suspect.

I didn't know this back then but plenty out there would enjoy that photo as Trip was the subject of a lot of fantasies amongst fans

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What top photo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Evade

Stark wrote: »
    What top photo?
    Trip covered in a white-ish viscous fluid. If it was Hoshi instead of Trip I think I've seen that video on orange Youtube.

breezy1985 wrote:
    I didn't know this back then but plenty out there would enjoy that photo as Trip was the subject of a lot of fantasies amongst fans

I get the impression he was the subject of fantasies amongst the writers as well. Especially with the scenes between him and T'Pol.

I get the impression he was the subject of fantasies amongst the writers as well. Especially with the scenes between him and T'Pol.

Putting aside the fact they were widely regarded as the most attractive 2 in the show they were also a million miles ahead as the 2 most interesting characters in the show which is reflected in the increasing focus on them as the show goes on. Tpol in particular stands out as the shows most nuanced character

breezy1985 wrote: »
    That top photo is very suspect.

That photo would be great for Star Trek without context

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Guys, if your ... uh, fluids, look like that you should probably get yourself checked out.

This thread has really gone down a disturbing avenue.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Guys, if your ... uh, fluids, look like that you should probably get yourself checked out.

This thread has really gone down a disturbing avenue.

Maybe not the bottom two photos but that top photo sure looks like cum (granted a whole lockdown's worth of it).

"My wife assures me wet ass pussies are not normal" - Ben Shapiro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

It's from the episode Vox Sola, here's are some pics of the crew covered in the proverbial

ent-voxsola20.jpg

ent-voxsola15.jpg

ent-voxsola19.jpg

They were definitely going for a creature feature body horror vibe but it just ended up being hokey with the alien wanting to go home and enveloping Archer et al so as not to feel "lonely" as Dr Phlox put it.

I said earlier that I didn’t want to look it up.

This is the reason why. So thanks … :p

;)

Maybe not the bottom two photos but that top photo sure looks like cum (granted a whole lockdown's worth of it).
    Or Stan Randy Marsh after the internet stops working.

It looks normal enough to me, quantity aside. If anyone's is much more opaque you should drink more if it's almost clear you may be infertile.

Evade wrote: »
    Or Stan Marsh after the internet stops working.

It looks normal enough to me, quantity aside. If anyone's is much more opaque you should drink more if it's almost clear you may be infertile.

Randy and the ghost of internet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Wtf am I reading here today lol

:D

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 29,943 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think we need to ban all discussion of Enterprise until there's been enough posts to purge this topic from the thread...

Or get some temporal cold war activists to erase it...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think we need to ban all discussion of Enterprise until there's been enough posts to purge this topic from the thread...

Its actually not that bad looking back. I would say it has about as many good episodes as Voyager. Both shows took a long time to get going though. But in fairness most Trek shows take time to grow it's not like they are gazelles or something

Of course it also has the awful ones and Bakula was a huge miscast and I assume it was done just to make people say "ooh look it's the quantum leap guy. Trek should be better than stooping to that

odyssey06 wrote: »

No Enterprise until it's been a long road of posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

No Enterprise until it's been a long road of posts.

Get out.

All Eyes On Rafah

Get out.
    Fine. I'll get from there to here.

• Advertisement

Its actually not that bad looking back. I would say it has about as many good episodes as Voyager. Both shows took a long time to get going though. But in fairness most Trek shows take time to grow it's not like they are gazelles or something

Of course it also has the awful ones and Bakula was a huge miscast and I assume it was done just to make people say "ooh look it's the quantum leap guy. Trek should be better than stooping to that

I think Enterprise would be much more fondly remembered if it had a full 7 season run.

First two seasons of TNG and DS9 were equally crap but most people forget about those when looking back on the shows because they both had 5 great seasons. Even Voyager had a reasonably strong middle with seasons 4 and 5. Enterprise started to be great around season 3, similar to TNG and DS9.

I think Enterprise would be much more fondly remembered if it had a full 7 season run.
    Shran as a main character on the Enterprise, the Earth-Romulan War, and what hopefully would have been a better founding of the Federation ending. It had a lot of potential.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mightn't have looked too hot if it had; once budgets start to slide AFAIK It's rare enough studios open those purse-strings again. Enterprise Season 4 was a marked improvement to the storytelling, but the production looked a lot cheaper in places. Still feel salty watching Agents of SHIELD's budget shrink and shrunk; 'til its latter seasons were predominantly set in a series of box rooms, constantly redressed.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Mightn't have looked too hot if it had; once budgets start to slide AFAIK It's rare enough studios open those purse-strings again. Enterprise Season 4 was a marked improvement to the storytelling, but the production looked a lot cheaper in places. Still feel salty watching Agents of SHIELD's budget shrink and shrunk; 'til its latter seasons were predominantly set in a series of box rooms, constantly redressed.

It looked dated even at the time compared to what was coming out at the time. Maybe that's why it's easier to take as a rerun

I said earlier that I didn’t want to look it up.

This is the reason why. So thanks … :p

;)

This episode keeps on giving, I think Hoshi represents all of us

ent-voxsola14.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I'm not sure if I would put the blame on Bakula, it struck me more that the writing and the direction given for the character was off. There are a lot of episodes of Enterprise that I love sticking on, obviously mostly season 3 and 4, and when I saw the plans for the redesign of the ship I was quite sad they didn't get more leeway. The refit is class (so much so it's one of my favourite of the Eaglemoss models I have).

Mayweather was a bit pointless, Reed irritating, and T'Pol never did it for me, but Phlox, Hoshi, Shran and Tucker were solid. If you chopped TNG at season 4 you would have lost almost all the depth and growth of the characters. And some great standalone episodes. The Catwalk, Minefield, Dead Stop, Shuttlepod One. They only reason it's not more rewatchable is how short it is, in my opinion.

I'm not sure if I would put the blame on Bakula, it struck me more that the writing and the direction given for the character was off. There are a lot of episodes of Enterprise that I love sticking on, obviously mostly season 3 and 4, and when I saw the plans for the redesign of the ship I was quite sad they didn't get more leeway. The refit is class (so much so it's one of my favourite of the Eaglemoss models I have).

Mayweather was a bit pointless, Reed irritating, and T'Pol never did it for me, but Phlox, Hoshi, Shran and Tucker were solid. If you chopped TNG at season 4 you would have lost almost all the depth and growth of the characters. And some great standalone episodes. The Catwalk, Minefield, Dead Stop, Shuttlepod One. They only reason it's not more rewatchable is how short it is, in my opinion.

Bakula was too Saturday morning family TV for my liking. Compared to Stewart and Brooks he is a Butlins rep. He mostly reminds me of Richard Dean Anderson who was always half way between serious and parody.

Hoshi was the great missed opportunity for me. She seemed to be the most interesting character beyond the big 3. Phlox was grand as a sort of look how much humans have to learn character but he got fairly annoying at times

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Shran as a main character on the Enterprise, the Earth-Romulan War, and what hopefully would have been a better founding of the Federation ending. It had a lot of potential.

the following on from the coalition of planets in to the united federation of planets as well

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

the following on from the coalition of planets in to the united federation of planets as well

Ye that would have been nice to see.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭corkie

{Ad?} Playmobil has an epic Star Trek USS Enterprise playset coming soon: report

"This bold $499 release of the iconic sci-fi starship is easily the biggest and most deluxe Playmobil playset produced in the history of the company. It features all the classic TOS (The Original Series) characters, two interior rooms, electronic lights and sound effects controlled via a smartphone app, and loads of extras for some serious collector market desirability"

42 inches long and 18 inches wide

Playmobil%2B70548%2BStar%2BTrek%2BThe%2BOriginal%2BSeries%2BUSS%2BEnterprise%2Bplayset%2Bcutaway.jpg

Advertisement