Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

$499 dollars!!! Truly we have hit a weird cultural point where ostensible toys are collectors items for grown adults :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Evade

For that much I'd want a decent sized really detailed scale model (kit) not a playset, athough to be fair I'd never want a playset. I might be the last person who should question adults wanting something like this given the Warhammer, Gundam, and other anime collectables I have but what do you do with this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This month I watched a video of a stampede of adult men, charging into an American shop as it opened, then fighting over each other to get at a new stock Pokémon cards (apparently they're quite rare ATM). It was surreal, and so very sad.

I'm a big bloody nerd and always have been (before it was cool lol), but I really am left embarrassed for this resting demographic of stunted men, nerds obsessing over toys for children with what can only be presumed severe arrested development. Mind you, it seems to be mostly Americans so maybe they're just more messed up than the rest of us :pac:

Anyway. Star Trek. Sorry for the segue/rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Anyway clears throat eh hum onto more pressing news but not Star Trek related but some in here might find it cool I see that the Smithsonian Aerospace Musuem in Washington is to get a T-70 Star Wars X-Wing the one from the 2019 The Rise of Skywalker film. I could not share but it is on Space.Coms site.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Mind you, it seems to be mostly Americans so maybe they're just more messed up than the rest of us :pac:
    It's probably just that there's more of them. Most of the stories we see or read are in English and half the world's population that speak English as a first language is in North America.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    Anyway clears throat eh hum onto more pressing news but not Star Trek related but some in here might find it cool I see that the Smithsonian Aerospace Musuem in Washington is to get a T-70 Star Wars X-Wing the one from the 2019 The Rise of Skywalker film. I could not share but it is on Space.Coms site.
    A pity they couldn't get a T-65, it's much better looking and more iconic.

Ew, Rise Of Skywalker. :pac:

Ms

Evade wrote: »
    A pity they couldn't get a T-65, it's much better looking and more iconic.

I agree.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

It's funny how Star Wars is kinda becoming more a TV franchise, after having, arguably informed Trek's own abandonment of its televisual sensibilities in favour of Wars' blockbuster, cinematic style. So while Trek sticks to this anaemic overblown style, Wars becomes more serialised and character driven (of sorts)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's funny how Star Wars is kinda becoming more a TV franchise, after having, arguably informed Trek's own abandonment of its televisual sensibilities in favour of Wars' blockbuster, cinematic style. So while Trek sticks to this anaemic overblown style, Wars becomes more serialised and character driven (of sorts)

That is the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

does it depend on what shows Kurtzman is working on? :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I wonder if Sela was executed after Unification part 2.

Klingon Civil war plan was a failure, Romulan invasion of Vulcan a failure with a loss of over 2000 troops.

And the worst thing of all, she had Spock, the captain of the flagship and one of the most advanced androids in the quadrant captured. What does she do? Leaves them in her office unguarded and allows them time to plan a breakout and escape.

Sela seemed canny enough to have someone else set up take the fall for any of her failures.

Ms

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I wonder if Sela was executed after Unification part 2.

Klingon Civil war plan was a failure, Romulan invasion of Vulcan a failure with a loss of over 2000 troops.

And the worst thing of all, she had Spock, the captain of the flagship and one of the most advanced androids in the quadrant captured. What does she do? Leaves them in her office unguarded and allows them time to plan a breakout and escape.

I doubt she was excited. That is not Starfleet way. They were not even going to do that to Ducat who is arguably a much worse person. They were just going to put him in prison before his escape from the ship transporting him

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I doubt she was excited. That is not Starfleet way. They were not even going to do that to Ducat who is arguably a much worse person. They were just going to put him in prison before his escape from the ship transporting him
    I think Ivy meant the Romulans. Sela was unconscious on her office floor the last time we saw her.

Ms

I think Ivy meant the Romulans. Sela was unconscious on her office floor the last time we saw her.

Awe ye maybe. True. Ye I agree with what Evade said above then.

Sela seemed canny enough to have someone else set up take the fall for any of her failures.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭corkie

This Page On Instagram Collects Interior Design Objects Used In Star Trek, Here Are 30 Of The Best Finds
    Interview With Author

This-instagram-shows-the-product-designs-behind-Star-Trek-60d19d23381ad__700.jpg
    ^^^ Ribbon Chair designed by Pierre Paulin for Artifort.

Ms

My God I forgotten how bad and tedious some of the first Voyager episodes were. Season 1 episode 20 Eligium Kes is going to have a baby because of some effect from life forms in space near Voyager how boring or the episode before that with the Doctor having an identity crisis was even worse. I get it they wanted to let him on the bridge and to other parts of the ship but in the end the whole thing was just some holo dream he had. Them installing and trying to get the holo emitters to work on the ship would have been a whole much better story.
    People think Enterprise is bad but I much prefer Enterprises first two seasons to Voyagers first two seasons.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

My God I forgotten how bad and tedious some of the first Voyager episodes were. Season 1 episode 20 Eligium Kes is going to have a baby because of some effect from life forms in space near Voyager how boring or the episode before that with the Doctor having an identity crisis was even worse. I get it they wanted to let him on the bridge and to other parts of the ship but in the end the whole thing was just some holo dream he had. Them installing and trying to get the holo emitters to work on the ship would have been a whole much better story.
    People think Enterprise is bad but I much prefer Enterprises first two seasons to Voyagers first two seasons.

The Kazons were crap Klingon rip offs. The Vidians were good though and should have been used more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Rawr

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The Kazons were crap Klingon rip offs. The Vidians were good though and should have been used more

The Vidians were awesome. A powerful space empire forced to hunt down and gut people for parts gave them this sense of dread that paid off really well whenever they'd board Voyager.

Can't help but wonder if they'd have ruined them if they had featured them more often. Kind of like what they did with The Borg.

• Advertisement
    Ms

breezy1985 wrote: »

I agree. Although I would have liked to have seen one of them big Kazon ships fight a Borg Cube just to get a sense of scale and I would like a model of one which for some reason Eaglemoss do not seem to have made yet.

I agree the Vidians were cool and so were there ships and technology.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I liked the 'The Swarm' species in Voy. Only one episode, but were different, could have made an interesting enemy.

The Hirogen in Voy were good at the beginning, until they got nerfed and a height reduction for cost reasons I think

All Eyes On Rafah

The Kazon being a race of people that don't really know how the technology they use works was brought up far too infrequently.

I do wonder how the Vidiians are treated in their region of space now that the phage has been cured, allegedly.

Ms

The Kazon being a race of people that don't really know how the technology they use works was brought up far too infrequently.

I do wonder how the Vidiians are treated in their region of space now that the phage has been cured, allegedly.

I am not sure that the Kazon did not know how there technology works but they did not have the most advanced technology or were not the smartest and I think it was all the infighting and that they were not the most advanced as well as maybe hard to assimalate that that put the Borg off them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Yeah, the Thinktank could have been lying for all we know.

All Eyes On Rafah

I am not sure that the Kazon did not know how there technology works but they did not have the most advanced technology or were not the smartest and I think it was all the infighting and that they were not the most advanced as well as maybe hard to assimalate that that put the Borg off them.
    None of the technology they use was created by them. They were a slave race until a out 25 years before Voyager arrived in the Delra Quadrant and it's implied, granted by the slavers, that they're not that intelligent but that point is kind of backed up by what we see of them during the series. The Borg wouldn't assimilate them because the would detract from the perfection the Borg strive for.

None of the technology they use was created by them. They were a slave race until a out 25 years before Voyager arrived in the Delra Quadrant and it's implied, granted by the slavers, that they're not that intelligent but that point is kind of backed up by what we see of them during the series. The Borg wouldn't assimilate them because the would detract from the perfection the Borg strive for.

LOL. Rejected by the Borg, that would hurt your ego!

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Rawr

LOL. Rejected by the Borg, that would hurt your ego!

(Borg Cube happens upon Kazon ship)

Borg: WE ARE THE BORG. LOWER YOUR SHIELDS AND SURRENDER YOUR SHIP. WE WILL ADD YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNO- (scans) LOGICAL....(scans) AL.......ONE MOMENT.......

(Scans)
    YOUR CULTURE WILL ADAPT TO (Scans).....WHAT?.....REALLY?

YOU KNOW WHAT, RESIST ALL YOU WANT....NEVER MIND...(warps away)

I think it was the hair. The Borg like the totally shaved look look but the Kazon big solid chunks look like they would be hard to remove.

• Advertisement

Could be a clever way to spy on the Borg. Use Kazon ships to keep tabs on the Collective.

All Eyes On Rafah

Advertisement