Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't remember: what was the reasoning for the Kazon being ignored by the Borg, or was it even given? Something about their genetics? Or just a burn from the writers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Evade

Just that they would detract from perfection. They're species 329 which means the were encountered pretty early.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

The Ferengis borg designation is 180, wonder how they got assimilated so early

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

IvySlayer wrote: »

Its almost like the writers didn't think it through

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Ferengi had warp drive before humans, bought from the Klingons so probably originally a Hur'q design, and as Rule of Acquisition 75 states - Home is where the heart is, but the stars are made of latinum. Some greedy Ferengi looking for new people to exploit probably ended up in the Delta Quadrant and tried to sell something to the Borg.
    breezy1985 wrote: »
    Yeah, 329 was the writer's address at the time.

• Advertisement

Evade wrote: »
    Ferengi had warp drive before humans, bought from the Klingons so probably originally a Hur'q design, and as Rule of Acquisition 75 states - Home is where the heart is, but the stars are made of latinum. Some greedy Ferengi looking for new people to exploit probably ended up in the Delta Quadrant and tried to sell something to the Borg.

Yeah, 329 was the writer's address at the time.

Haggling is futile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Rawr

Haggling is futile

WE ARE THE BORG. LOWER YOUR INTEREST RATES AND SURRENDER YOUR SHARES. WE WILL ADD YOUR CAPITAL AND LIQUID ASSETS TO OUR OWN PORTFOLIO. RESISTENCE WILL ACCUE AN INTEREST AT A RATE 2.25% PER ANNUM. REMEMBER TO KEEP UP REPAYMENTS OR YOU MAY RISK LOSING YOUR HOME.....TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPLY....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Jaysis, don't tug at that thread

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Star Trek movie marathon on Film 4 from 18:20 on Friday the first 4 movies and then from 11am Saturday the next 5 movies. Poor old Nemesis seems to be left out.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Star Trek movie marathon on Film 4 from 18:20 on Friday the first 4 movies and then from 11am Saturday the next 5 movies. Poor old Nemesis seems to be left out.

The way it should be

• Advertisement

Nemesis is better than Insurrection and Final Frontier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't remember: what was the reasoning for the Kazon being ignored by the Borg, or was it even given? Something about their genetics? Or just a burn from the writers.

The Borg leaned out of their Cube as they passed the Kazon and sang "You're **** aaaah"

Ms

The way it should be

Well if that's the case then they should not show the 3 JJ Trek films either but they did recently. Nemesis is more Trek than any of the 3 JJ films.
    Maybe they just could not get Nemesis.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Well if that's the case then they should not show the 3 JJ Trek films either but they did recently. Nemesis is more Trek than any of the 3 JJ films.
    Maybe they just could not get Nemesis.

The movies listed did not have the JJ films so I didn't comment on them. If they had been listed I would have said something different

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

My God I forgotten how bad and tedious some of the first Voyager episodes were. Season 1 episode 20 Eligium Kes is going to have a baby because of some effect from life forms in space near Voyager how boring or the episode before that with the Doctor having an identity crisis was even worse. I get it they wanted to let him on the bridge and to other parts of the ship but in the end the whole thing was just some holo dream he had. Them installing and trying to get the holo emitters to work on the ship would have been a whole much better story.
    People think Enterprise is bad but I much prefer Enterprises first two seasons to Voyagers first two seasons.

Good lord, yes, Voyager is the very definition of milquetoast vanilla sausage. Enterprise isn't all that bad.

Ms

So I see that Simon Pegg is working on a Galaxy Quest series,

https://trekmovie.com/2021/06/28/simon-pegg-working-on-galaxy-quest-tv-series/

Would be nice if this turned out good but I would not be so hopefully. There has been talks about it making a comeback for a long time now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Would be nice if this turned out good but I would not be so hopefully. There has been talks about it making a comeback for a long time now.

Probably a nothing story. Dont see the point anyway as Orville is essentially a Galaxy Quest TV show in look and feel
    Also never realised Bortus husband is played by this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Coleman

I think when Alan Rickman died that put an end to a series, I don't think it's something you could recast. One option that could work is if after the original film there was a Galaxy Quest: The New Group sequel series, they could even call it TNG as a shorthand, and have those actors be thrown into a similar situation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The 90s cultural mining properly ramping up now; Hollywood will just keep regurgitating whatever crap it was folks grew up I guess. Truly new IPs are dead: move over Stranger Things, it's time for ... *checks notes* Space Jam, Animaniacs, and Galaxy Quest. Tom Green must be biding his time for that inevitable early 00s resurgence.

Don't get this late-blooming cynic the wrong way :) Galaxy Quest was a wonderful- and importantly, loving and well structured - send-up of Trek, but it was a "one and done" kind of idea, a perfect little dessert that complements the actual IP. To make a whole show about it feels like we're going past meta, and into the worst kind of nostalgic indulgence. A film about a TV series that's mistaken for a documentary, then might spawn an actual TV series that ... what? Follows the now real GQ crew? My head hurts lol :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    The 90s cultural mining properly ramping up now; Hollywood will just keep regurgitating whatever crap it was folks grew up I guess. Truly new IPs are dead: move over Stranger Things, it's time for ... *checks notes* Space Jam, Animaniacs, and Galaxy Quest. Tom Green must be biding his time for that inevitable early 00s resurgence.

Don't get this late-blooming cynic the wrong way :) Galaxy Quest was a wonderful- and importantly, loving and well structured - send-up of Trek, but it was a "one and done" kind of idea, a perfect little dessert that complements the actual IP. To make a whole show about it feels like we're going past meta, and into the worst kind of nostalgic indulgence. A film about a TV series that's mistaken for a documentary, then might spawn an actual TV series that ... what? Follows the now real GQ crew? My head hurts lol :D

Not knocking it but Stranger Things is in essence a nostalgia/homage show itself

• Advertisement

Not knocking it but Stranger Things is in essence a nostalgia/homage show itself

Oh I know, but see now my sentence might have read incorrectly; like I was saying ST was itself a new IP. It is technically, but like you said a very blatant rose-tinted homage to 80s culture.

Season 1 was excellent and to be fair to it, made efforts to subvert some of the themes and tropes it was cribbing from. But you can almost feel the smugness coming off the screen in later seasons.

I think reviving old IPs is fine but most of what's produced in the US nowadays just seems lazy. This example isn't Hollywood but close enough. A single manga title, Demon Slayer, sold about as many copies last year as the entire US comic industry with around 80 million each world wide. Granted Demon Slayer is a bit of a fluke, it sold about ten times as many copies as the next most popular manga, but still.

I think reviving old IPs is fine but most of what's produced in the US nowadays just seems lazy. This example isn't Hollywood but close enough. A single manga title, Demon Slayer, sold about as many copies last year as the entire US comic industry with around 80 million each world wide. Granted Demon Slayer is a bit of a fluke, it sold about ten times as many copies as the next most popular manga, but still.

In principle, reviving a dead IP is not a Bad Thing; Dr. Who and Trek otherwise would be niche little shows nobody remembers. But in both those cases they haven't tried to just rehash the classics, like 'em or loath 'em they have ploughed their own furrow and added to the IP.

What I object to is, as you say, laziness. Or rather, the fastest way of getting those cheap dopamine hits from your audience who just want the actor To Say The Line. Or look, here's a knowing wink to that famous scene you remember from childhood. Please go buy ten thousand Funko Pops. Someone in the film forum mentioned Gremlins 2 (because, naturally, there's talk of a 3rd film), and how these days a sequel that wild and off-track from the original simply wouldn't get made. It was borderline anarchic.

Now, at this point in the conversation I mention Ready PLayer One, fly off into an irrational rage, and have to sit in a corner and cool down for 30 minutes :pac: :D

Ms

I think when Alan Rickman died that put an end to a series, I don't think it's something you could recast. One option that could work is if after the original film there was a Galaxy Quest: The New Group sequel series, they could even call it TNG as a shorthand, and have those actors be thrown into a similar situation.

That's what they are going for. A passing of the torch from old to new.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

That's what they are going for. A passing of the torch from old to new.
    The article made it sound like a recasting like the JJ Star Treks with the old cast in cameos like Leonard Nimoy was.

Ms

The article made it sound like a recasting like the JJ Star Treks with the old cast in cameos like Leonard Nimoy was.

Ye maybe that is what it will be if it ever gets off the ground.
    What other sci-fi shows would be good if they made a comeback. I am thinking Buck Regers in the 25th Century. I know how I would do it and it might upset a few but it would be a different angle on it.

There is supposed to be a new Battlestar Galactica series coming too and if when it does happen I hope it futures lazers or some form of advanced weapons not like the last series with all the crap weaponry. That really bugged me. Even the original series had more advanced weapons and better health tech than the reimagined series.
    Any other series that it would be cool to see make a comeback?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Rawr

Any other series that it would be cool to see make a comeback?

space-above-and-beyond-dvd-movie-cover.jpg?v=1456005274

I remember Space: Above and Beyond was pretty good and deserved more than the one season it got prior to cancellation (with a cliffhanger no less).

Space: Above and Beyond was essentially "Starship Troopers" but a lot less cartoonish and played like a war drama while we followed the lives of a group of space marines.

Rawr wrote: »
    space-above-and-beyond-dvd-movie-cover.jpg?v=1456005274

I remember Space: Above and Beyond was pretty good and deserved more than the one season it got prior to cancellation (with a cliffhanger no less).

Space: Above and Beyond was essentially "Starship Troopers" but a lot less cartoonish and played like a war drama while we followed the lives of a group of space marines.

Now that's one much like original BSG that never fulfilled it's potential. There was a lot of side and back story to be explored in a reboot

I loved S:AaB back in the 90s it has a good premise that would be great if it was well done but that applies to most things I suppose. Was it cancelled or did they know they weren't coming back? Half of the Wildcards were killed off in the last episode. If they were to remake it there's just two things I hope they'd fix:
    • 5 is a weird number for a squadron, besides being too small odd numbers are wrong because you can't pair off
    • 5 pilots going on missions as riflemen was hard to buy, even as a child
    I'd like to see something like the 90s Outer Limits again. Lots of bottle shows no need to worry about continuity and you can go as weird as you like. There's two episodes in particular I remember liking, summaries from memory

• In the future Earth is fighting a war on two fronts against two different alien species and because of the risk of contamination soldiers have to constantly take some kind of medicine to prevent disease spread by the aliens. The episode follows a squad where one member's medicine supply gets destroyed and he starts seeing the aliens as human and he convinces the rest of the squad to stop taking their medicine and eventually they all see the aliens as human too. They then try to surrender to the now human looking enemy only for it to switch to their perspective who see the squad we've been following all episode as different aliens DUN DUN DUN the war was faked.
    • Different human alien war and a pretty high ranked guy is captured by the aliens and imprisoned. The aliens are either insects or lizards. He gets a new cellmate after a while played by Nicole deBoer (Ezri Dax), so there are worse situations to be in, and they hit it off but every so often she's taken away by the aliens who perform experiments on her and it's gradually shown they're trying to turn her into one of their species. Near the end of the episode she begs him to kill her and he lets slip some big offensive is in the works so if they wait it out they could be saved. Then it's revealed they weren't turning a human into an alien they were turning her back into one of their species DUN DUN DUN and the human offensive, and possibly race, is doomed.
    Writing this makes me want to watch series again, it's on Prime but not over here.

EDIT: I remember liking the Dead Zone TV series too, Nicole deBoer was in it too, but that might just have been something to fall asleep too after finishing work at 4:00am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,943 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'd like to see something like the 90s Outer Limits again. Lots of bottle shows no need to worry about continuity and you can go as weird as you like. There's two episodes in particular I remember liking, summaries from memory

Different human alien war and a pretty high ranked guy is captured by the aliens and imprisoned. The aliens are either insects or lizards. He gets a new cellmate after a while played by Nicole deBoer (Ezri Dax), so there are worse situations to be in, and they hit it off but every so often she's taken away by the aliens who perform experiments on her and it's gradually shown they're trying to turn her into one of their species. Near the end of the episode she begs him to kill her and he lets slip some big offensive is in the works so if they wait it out they could be saved. Then it's revealed they weren't turning a human into an alien they were turning her back into one of their species DUN DUN DUN and the human offensive, and possibly race, is doomed.

Writing this makes me want to watch series again, it's on Prime but not over here.

That was Quality of Mercy. Briliant episode... it had a sequel Light Brigade with Wil Wheaton.

I remember Trial by Fire about first contact as being a standout.
    And Voyage Home with Michael Dorn was good.

Feasibility Study about an alien abduction had a great scifi plot twist.

There was a clever clip show episode at the end of season 1 where they tied up plots across multiple episodes... The Voice of Reason.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement