Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

gatecrash wrote: »
    And Brent Spiner
    And Brent Spiner
    And Brent Spiner
    And Brent Spiner

(Considering he played 6 different characters in that episode)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708669/trivia?tab=tr&item=tr0728142

THAT surprised me though....

A testament to the mans brilliance. Even in the Enterprise augment episodes he was class, the dude can do anything & do it brilliantly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

EnterNow wrote: »
    Nah, holodeck episodes are a struggle at the best of times.

Would disagree due to the entertaining Data as Sherlock Holmes series as mentioned.

But would fully agree if you cite that Fair Haven crap, at least I think that is the name of that Oirish village Voyager had. What utter crap.

I didn't overly enjoy the Sherlock Holmes ones tbh, they were ok, but nothing above ordinary at all for me.

The Fairhaven ones were the nail in the coffin for the holodeck. There was also that Godawful dreary kip Sandrine's, that Paris created to hang out in.

Naomi Wildman's Flodder episodes. The episode 'Emergence' of TNG where the ship becomes aware & its a holodeck based episode on a train...'tickets please!'

The list goes on, its an amazing device, but largely, the stories centered on it are woeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I did like Barclay's take on the crew, in the holodeck though!!

I did like Barclay's take on the crew, in the holodeck though!!

Thats only because it was a Barclay based, without him I think the episode would have fell flat on its face.

The Q episode of Sherwood Forest is another one, with the singular exception of Worf smashing Geordi's lute & his epic line "Sir I protest! I am not a merry man!". Aside from those two bits, I found the episode cringeworthy

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

my main objection to the holodeck is it just makes 0 sense whatsoever

like.. it's a small room
    yet several people can go walkies in long directions and never run into a wall.. but still see a consistent world around them. it just.... what?

unless the holodeck also does something to the brain of the person entering it, but then it'd be more VR than holographic

always bugged the pants off me. warp drive.. sure, why not. transporters.. ok, I guess. jonathan frakes as a charismatic ladies man, what the hell I've already accepted warp drive and transporters.. but the holodeck... grargh.

the fact that as you say most of the eps based in the holodeck were godawful didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

always bugged the pants off me.

Me too. It's possibly my biggest "That just doesn't make any sense at all!!!!!!" thing in Star Trek.

When two people are in the holodeck & apart, I always thought of it as they are walking on a holographic ground/flooring level that is moving when they walk...like a threadmill for example & there could be holographic walls/scenery between them.

A longshot I know but cmon lads, in a world where Wesley Crusher is at the helm of a flagship...how much sense do you need :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

When two people are in the holodeck & apart, I always thought of it as they are walking on a holographic ground/flooring level that is moving when they walk...like a threadmill for example & there could be holographic walls/scenery between them.

A longshot I know but cmon lads, in a world where Wesley Crusher is at the helm of a flagship...how much sense do you need :p

I'm pretty that is along the lines of how it was explained as working for one person. It doesn't really work when two or more people are in there though.

I don't think the floors were moving though.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I'm pretty that is along the lines of how it was explained as working for one person. It doesn't really work when two or more people are in there though.

It does, because the entire floor doesn't have to be moving...just the bit your standing on - thats the beauty of a holographic floor/level.
    don't think the floors were moving though.

Fairly sure the tech manual sates thats how they achieve a long distance in the holodeck, a combination of altering the scenery/distance in real time, moving floors, & other optical trickery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Blargh, always hated Holodeck based episdoes! The only ones that where OK...was the one Season 1 or 2 where Picard, Crusher, Data and some random dude where stuck before Picard to talk that bizarre language to that alien!

Voyager with Seska was good too. Worst Case Scenario. Author Author aswell, but that's it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Would disagree due to the entertaining Data as Sherlock Holmes series as mentioned.

But would fully agree if you cite that Fair Haven crap, at least I think that is the name of that Oirish village Voyager had. What utter crap.

I liked the Data Sherlock episodes but that Voyager Village cr*p was to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Seen 2 amazing episodes of TNG from Season 2. A Matter of Honour, with Riker being a replacement first officer on a Klingon Bird of Prey. It's pretty funny in parts, particularly when Riker has the banter with the Klingons at dinner.

The Measure of a Man. Data is threatened with being taken apart by Commander Maddox and a court case ensues over whether he has rights or not.

Man I love Star Trek :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

From YLYL.... I lost...

Thought some in here might appreciate it..

BDZOf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Am zsrunk, ahhhh dis cud be so mhch better. Picard wkth hoarages :-D even kirk. My gawd janeway is a bitch. Im a fan.i stan up fod janwY

Seen 2 amazing episodes of TNG from Season 2. A Matter of Honour, with Riker being a replacement first officer on a Klingon Bird of Prey. It's pretty funny in parts, particularly when Riker has the banter with the Klingons at dinner.

The Measure of a Man. Data is threatened with being taken apart by Commander Maddox and a court case ensues over whether he has rights or not.

Man I love Star Trek :):)

A Matter of Honour: It never fails to make me laugh when Riker looks at the two Klingon women and asks one or both.

The Measure of a Man: Word is this episode will be extended in the Blu release , I'll find it hard not to buy season 2 given how spectacular this episode it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

somuj wrote: »
    Am zsrunk, ahhhh dis cud be so mhch better. Picard wkth hoarages :-D even kirk. My gawd janeway is a bitch. Im a fan.i stan up fod janwY

argh...
    Should stay away from boards while drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

somuj wrote: »

In my head, this was playing in the background reading that :)

anyone who uses twitter should follow @worfsonofmogh

some hilarious ****
    Worf Son Of Mogh ‏@WorfSonOfMogh
    Encountered a Borg ship today. I said shoot it. Picard agreed for once. We shot it. Nothing happened. Everyone looked DAGGERS at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Started watching Enterprise again. Not the first time I've started, but the first time I've stuck with it... and actually enjoying it. A lot!

Usually when I try and watch this show I start at the start and just want to break something before I'm a few episodes in, so I just skipped straight to Season Two this time. And, to my surprise, there's some good Trek in here!

Probably too soon to call it (on S2E18 at the moment) but it's already edging it's way above Voyager on my personal 'Best Trek' list.

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote: »
    Started watching Enterprise again. Not the first time I've started, but the first time I've stuck with it... and actually enjoying it. A lot!

Usually when I try and watch this show I start at the start and just want to break something before I'm a few episodes in, so I just skipped straight to Season Two this time. And, to my surprise, there's some good Trek in here!

Probably too soon to call it (on S2E18 at the moment) but it's already edging it's way above Voyager on my personal 'Best Trek' list.

You have a few good episodes left in season 2 including "Regeneration", an interesting epsiode that you might need to watch more then once.

Season 3 was my Enterprise let down but season 4 went very DS9 and did multiple story lines spread over multiple episodes, they are all a great watch bar the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Beefy78 wrote: »

I don't think the floors were moving though.

:D

i guess if you were standing on a holographic floor... then it could move for many people simultaneously

still doesnt explain how people could stand on either side of a small room and not see each other though

wouldn't get this sort of carry on in babylon 5 and that's all I'll say on the matter!

You have a few good episodes left in season 2 including "Regeneration", an interesting epsiode that you might need to watch more then once.

Yeah, enjoyed that. Although it's a bit of a stretch to believe all the data they collected wouldn't have been found and referenced by Picard and co. in the 24th century, but I guess you just have to allow them some leeway. Was still a good episode. Really liked the episode before it too, Cogenitor

still doesnt explain how people could stand on either side of a small room and not see each other though
    There'd be a holographic projection between them; they wouldn't see each other. The projection I see could be of one side of a city, while you're "in" the other side, "miles away". But actually just on the other side of the room, seeing a different set of holograms.

Could work. Maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

did they not explain the whole holodeck thing in the Ep where Worf's brother transplants an entire village to a new planet via the holodeck?

I remember there being some mention of the holodeck subtly forcing you to walk in a curve when you thought it was a straight line.

Arragh jaysus... I'd actually grown to appreciate the ridiculous, cheesy, Enterprise theme song... now they've gone and cut the balls of it in Season 3! Swapped the 80's hair-rock for some Kenny G style rubbish.

Also, maybe I'm being premature (just starting S03E02... and no spoilers, please!) but it seems the 'Expanse' was a bit over-sold at the end of S2, with the tales of inside-out bodies and Vulcans loosing their minds after a week or whatever. Enterprise has been here for months now, I think, and everything's pretty much tickity-boo.

And if they drag this Trip and T'Pol thing out I'm not going to be best pleased. I think it's a pity the pre-requisite Vulcan had to double-up as the token sex-kitten. Where's the logic in those skin-tight cat suits? I understand she's not Starfleet, so no uniform, but the getup seems even more at odds with Vulcan dress sensibilities than it does human.

Arragh jaysus... I'd actually grown to appreciate the ridiculous, cheesy, Enterprise theme song... now they've gone and cut the balls of it in Season 3! Swapped the 80's hair-rock for some Kenny G style rubbish.

Yep, it was way better before it was reworked!
    Also, maybe I'm being premature (just starting S03E02... and no spoilers, please!) but it seems the 'Expanse' was a bit over-sold at the end of S2, with the tales of inside-out bodies and Vulcans loosing their minds after a week or whatever. Enterprise has been here for months now, I think, and everything's pretty much tickity-boo.

Don't worry, the Vulcan thing is brilliantly followed up :D
    And if they drag this Trip and T'Pol thing out I'm not going to be best pleased. I think it's a pity the pre-requisite Vulcan had to double-up as the token sex-kitten. Where's the logic in those skin-tight cat suits? I understand she's not Starfleet, so no uniform, but the getup seems even more at odds with Vulcan dress sensibilities than it does human.

Think about what your saying for a minute, some things are worth disregarding logic for :D

Think about what your saying for a minute, some things are worth disregarding logic for :D

Yeah, but I'm gay, so that stuff just serves to annoy me :P. I don't mind good looking women in a TV show by any means, but Star Trek seems to go for the 13-year-old-schoolboy version of "good looking woman". Dreadful at any kind of actual relationship story-lines.

Still, better than Voyager with their leggy blond, Seven of Tits.

DS9 probably got it right, actually. Kira and Dax were good and thought-out characters first and foremost, and surely not bad on the eyes as an added bonus? And Leeta's personality and character suited the sexy-role just fine. Relationships were good too, Sisko/Cassidy, Dax/Worf, Kira/Odo. But Voy/Ent just stuck a hot chick in a catsuit and worried about the rest later. The T'Pol character could have been a lot better, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jsn.peters

Bring back voyager

• Advertisement

Yeah, but I'm gay, so that stuff just serves to annoy me :P. I don't mind good looking women in a TV show by any means, but Star Trek seems to go for the 13-year-old-schoolboy version of "good looking woman". Dreadful at any kind of actual relationship story-lines.

Still, better than Voyager with their leggy blond, Seven of Tits.

DS9 probably got it right, actually. Kira and Dax were good and thought-out characters first and foremost, and surely not bad on the eyes as an added bonus? And Leeta's personality and character suited the sexy-role just fine. Relationships were good too, Sisko/Cassidy, Dax/Worf, Kira/Odo. But Voy/Ent just stuck a hot chick in a catsuit and worried about the rest later. The T'Pol character could have been a lot better, I reckon.

Ah I see, in that case then yeah I see your point. I also agree re DS9, both female characters were just downright good, without having to rely on sex appeal. Actually the more I watch Star Trek, the better Kira gets...especially in later seasons when she's calmed down. An example of a well acted, well written character that checks all the boxes for me without cheap shots

Advertisement