Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,507 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Felt a lot more normal and loving than the madness we see in Disco

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't think there has been a single normal human emotion on Discovery throughout its run so far. As Mark Kermode would said, it's all turned up to eleventy-stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Stamets and Culber. Booker and his cat?

But if I have to listen to one more Burnham Breathy Babble before she single-handedly saves the Discovery/the Federation/the galaxy, I swear...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Definitely seems to be taken from the CW shows approach of over emotion.

Now dont get me wrong, sometimes in sci-fi shows speeches can work really well, like Matt Smith or Peter Capaldi Doctor Who. A speech can make an episode. Or even Picard in some of the TNG stuff. Problem is Discovery always messes it up.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

I haven't watched Discovery since season 3 but is it true even the ship is emotional now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,184 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes, and allowed more character development time than most of the bridge crew...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Even Picard? His speech at the end of Drumhead makes that episode

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

I hate everything about that episode.

His speech is the reason I don't skip it on Netflix.

All Eyes On Rafah

Stewart and Brooks could make shopping lists sound like Shakespeare in fairness. Disco just isn't operating near that level except for Isaacs who they wasted

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Stamets/Culver are the closest but their stories have often been wrapped in the same kind of melodramatic, arbitrary plot polyfilla (plotyfilla!) as the rest of the show. Season 3, and Adira announced by them as their "daughter" completely out of nowhere a big "fúck you Discovery" example for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's funny because at the start of the series the Steamers/Culber got called out for just how refreshingly normal the on screen depiction of their relationship was. Doing typical married couple stuff like brushing teeth etc. Then at some point the writers decided they were just too boring and added in the melodrama elements.

Heck that Culber is even still around was a case Discovery Bullshít, resurrecting a character because (and I'm making a huge speculative swing here) the writers got called on for fridging the only gay character(s) for cheap melodrama. As you say at the start their status was intentional mundane; but then Season 1 was a whole different beast at the start. Lorca: jaysus. Never forget.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering and would be happy to be wrong TBH: but while we had that Stamets / Adira paternal thing going on for a few EPs in season 3; one of the two men then called her their "daughter" totally out of nowhere. Perhaps I just missed some prior moment adoption was discussed, but I was like WTF? When did that happen?

Culber was always due to come back apparently.

The second the episode aired the Discovery team put out a tweet saying he will be back because they were af

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Rawr

Ohh Season 1. What a time back then. I was even enjoying myself there for a while with Lorca and the Klingon War and a whole plethora of possibilities. I was even using my head-cannon to explain away the view-screen windows. Then they just took that Trek-bus, swung a hard left through the barriers and fell right into the gorge of "Michael is the key". Alas.

However yes, the whole "adoption" thing. I remember it well, and it *did* came out of absolutely f*cking nowhere! For practically the entire run of Season 3 Adria was clearly developing a bit of a friendship with them, not too dissimilar to what we've seen before. But at no point did they seem to indicate some kind of parent/child thing, especially with Adria as a member of the crew.

It was suddenly in the final episodes of the season that as some kind of dramatic punch it is mentioned that Adria was their kid. Either they forgot to build up that point in the plot...or more likely they forgot that they needed to build up this kind of point before using it.

fell right into the gorge of "Michael is the key"

Ep.1 we hear she is Spocks sister, Starfleets first ever mutineer and she starts the Klingon war I think you might be looking back with rose tinted glasses in regards to Burnham in season 1.

I recently rewatched what I thought was my favourite episode the one where Mudd takes the ship but on rewatch realised that in every time loop Stamets keeps going to Burnham to save the day over and over again without even trying someone else. Also Mudd loses because Burnham pitches a story that she is more important to the Klingons than the fkn sporedrive and he risks all to get her

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Rawr

There was enough going on with Discovery in early Season 1 for me to be able to discount my annoyance with Micheal as just that one aspect I probably won't like. Most Trek shows had at least one character/concept I wasn't too keen on. As early as Episode 2 / 3 (the one with the other Crossfield Class ship that's been stricken) Micheal's annoyance became front and center when they tried to inject character development by getting her to suddenly quote "Alice in Wonderland" mid-mission. Possibly one of the worst attempts of character exposition I had ever seen. Since then I hadn't much patience for her, but thankfully the show still had Lorca, and Saru and "Season 1 Tilly" who I actually liked.

Then we lose Lorca, and the Klingon War just sort of ends and Michael...the person directly responsible for starting a war for stupid reasons and costing countless lives...is given a medal while she gives everyone a speech about how war is.....well "bad".

My distain for the show evolved over time to the point where I just can't watch any new episode, but early on there was enough hope for it that I could still enjoy it to some degree.

Back in season one there was also the "well the first season or two of Star Trek is usually rocky lets give it time to find its feet" but as it turned out it was Mr. McGreg all along. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYMaq1oZDz4 (Simpsons clip)

There was upheaval in the production of season 1 which gave it some benefit of the doubt, but unlike TNG the wrong lessons were learned and those remaining in the hot seat lacked the awareness to plug the gaps. I saw potential in season 1, though the Mirror Universe switcheroo was, in retrospect, a bit of a point of no return for the show, proof it has no idea what it was doing.

Then again, as before, maybe we're the outliers here and in general the show is well received within the demographics Paramount care about. Or at the very least seen as a big enough draw for its steaming service they keep it running

• Advertisement

It must be doing pretty well seeing 4 more Trek shows got commissioned off the back of it.

There were a lot of people, like us, giving it a few seasons to bed in...

As Cork says it probably got a long leash from Trekkies, while the Netflix deal meant it would have got a larger international exposure. Picard season 2 might reveal a lot, again eyeballs were guaranteed by dint of its lineage for the first season. Either way, it mightn't tell the whole story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

This is the thing. I gave up on Enterprise midway through season 1. I was just too pissed off with the (apparent) complete re-jigging of canon and what had gone before that I wasn't willing to wait around for several seasons to find out "Nope, it was grand all along - see, there was this time war and..."

But apparently Enterprise did actually get quite good, a couple of seasons in. I didn't want to make that same mistake again with Disco. I stuck it for three seasons, and actually enjoyed S2 (and aspects of all of 1-3, to be fair). But the combination of totally slapdash writing (yeah, the film with Spock's-brother-as-god was shite, but at least mention that the dude exists! Klingons are bald now? What? Tilly doesn't get a growth arc, just a "now she's a competent officer" handwave, TARDIS-like interior of Discovery, etc., etc.,) and Burnham-as-Mary-Sue is making it very hard for me to bother watching any of the episodes of S4 that I've acquired.

There are Trek fans who actually like it and when you consider the massive popularity of Transformers and the expanded DC and Marvel universes which this is taking its queues from then I can see how its popular with the super hero fans ( Personally I think any movie or TV show that didnt have the actual work Avenger in the title was pure sht )

Netflix was the only reason I gave it more than an episode or two. Boredom and convenience made me carry on with many a Netflix show with varying results

Or it's more beneficial for it to be seen that way than its actual performance. Then again my duranium foil hat could be getting a little too tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,863 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So in the Star Trek Voyager season 7 episode has 15 "The Void" the end has always bugged me. You see Voyager and 3 other ships make it out of the Void but while in the transporter room there is only two other Aliens there. Could they not afford a third person or did they not have an actor for it or what?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

My only take away from that episode was that the video game "Elite Force" did a much better job with the Void storyline 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 15,863 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ye maybe. Can't remember it has been that long since I played it but I enjoyed that episode. Certainly not the worst Voyager episode.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Elite Force was a great game.

Also remember the multi-player was a lot of fun.

All Eyes On Rafah

Advertisement