Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

jsn.peters wrote: »
    Bring back voyager

I've a better idea...lets not :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Goodshape wrote: »
    Yeah, but I'm gay, so that stuff just serves to annoy me :P. I don't mind good looking women in a TV show by any means, but Star Trek seems to go for the 13-year-old-schoolboy version of "good looking woman". Dreadful at any kind of actual relationship story-lines.

Still, better than Voyager with their leggy blond, Seven of Tits.

DS9 probably got it right, actually. Kira and Dax were good and thought-out characters first and foremost, and surely not bad on the eyes as an added bonus? And Leeta's personality and character suited the sexy-role just fine. Relationships were good too, Sisko/Cassidy, Dax/Worf, Kira/Odo. But Voy/Ent just stuck a hot chick in a catsuit and worried about the rest later. The T'Pol character could have been a lot better, I reckon.

Dont diss my sis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

jsn.peters wrote: »
    Bring back voyager

No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ah I see, in that case then yeah I see your point. I also agree re DS9, both female characters were just downright good, without having to rely on sex appeal. Actually the more I watch Star Trek, the better Kira gets...especially in later seasons when she's calmed down. An example of a well acted, well written character that checks all the boxes for me without cheap shots

Whatever about her personality, Kira got much, much more attractive as the show progressed. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Cossax wrote: »
    Whatever about her personality, Kira got much, much more attractive as the show progressed. :cool:

true but going for horrid to merely ugly and weird still isn't great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I thought T'Pol was Enterprise's best character with the most interesting personality traits, development & growth throughout. Ya, it didn't hurt that she's a stunner but she's the one who anchored the entire show. The perfect balance of Vulcan stoicism, resilience with just a hint of vulnerability. She's ahead of for me Phlox who was criminally underdeveloped, then Trip who functioned increasingly as the moral conscience of the show and played it very well (Similtude, Cogenitor, Terra Prime, etc).

Sidebar: I think T'Pol & Trip formed by a huge margin the most believeable and real relationship in all the Treks. I defy anyone to watch Enterprise's last ep Terra Prime (You heard me) and not be moved by the final scene. Kira/Odo was painfully forced and cringeworthy as was the Chakotay/Seven last minute coupling. The Klingon stud of Mogh had way too many space hoes to even contemplate and you can't really count Troi & Riker as they were never going out in the series. Anyway, I digress...

Then I'd have the strong if by-the-numbers alpha captain Archer. However, after that there's an abyss down to: I-went-to-private-school, I'm-good-at-languages and pilot-man who were just as lacking in dept as Chakotay, Kim & Paris. Disclaimer: Kim owned it in Timeless.

The Doctor unquestionably carried Voyager but T'Pol wasn't far off carrying Enterprise at times when Combs or Spiner weren't around to steal the show.

true but going for horrid to merely ugly and weird still isn't great

Whatever man

1476.jpg?t=1215953566

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i dunno, i'd put riker/troi, crusher/picard or picard/vash as treks 3 most "realistic" relationships

granted I never watched much enterprise but the 3 there were reasonable enough and a lot better than tv's standard "we meet, we fight, we fall in love, everythings fantastic"

--edit

i met nana visitor at that star trek thing in UCD (DCU?) when I was a kid.. very pretty, but I was more smitten with gates mcfadden at the first contact premier

Just finished Season 1 of Voyager. A short season, & despite some early promise {Eye of The Needle} it's fallen flat on its face in the second half. There's only 15 episodes in season 1, & the finale "Lessons" is such terrible stuff, you have to wonder.

Basically the ships bio-neural packs get 'sick', due to Neelix' making cheese & thus spreading bacteria. Tuvok is tasked with bringing four Maquis members in line with some Starfleet Training too.

Ultimately they make the ship very warm to kill the infection, Tuvok saves the life of one of the Maquis members, & they all become friends in the final scene. Voyager then heads off into the distance.

My 9 year old son would have wrote a better story than that. Good riddance season 1!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Just finished Season 1 of Voyager. A short season, & despite some early promise {Eye of The Needle} it's fallen flat on its face in the second half. There's only 15 episodes in season 1, & the finale "Lessons" is such terrible stuff, you have to wonder.

Basically the ships bio-neural packs get 'sick', due to Neelix' making cheese & thus spreading bacteria. Tuvok is tasked with bringing four Maquis members in line with some Starfleet Training too.

Ultimately they make the ship very warm to kill the infection, Tuvok saves the life of one of the Maquis members, & they all become friends in the final scene. Voyager then heads off into the distance.

My 9 year old son would have wrote a better story than that. Good riddance season 1!

Why are you doing this to yourself????

Why are you doing this to yourself????

Lol, the trials & tribbleations of being a Trek fan man ;):D

Seriously though, I'm dying to rewatch Stargate SG-1 again but it's too soon. Over the last year I've rewatched Ent, DS9 & now I'm doing Voyager. I simply can't rewatch TNG because I know the episodes inside out & grew up watching them furiously, recording them on vhs, watching & rewatching them.

So basically I'm buying time. SG-1 & LOST are due rewatches next, so its not gonna be all pain no gain :pac:

why not rewatch bab5 or farscape instead of .....

*spits*

voyager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

why not rewatch bab5 or farscape instead of .....

*spits*

voyager

Or Battlestar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Or Battlestar

can't make up my mind.... are you recommending battlestar, or spitting on it.

if recommending, that's fine... carry on.

if spitting, you, me, vipers at dawn.

maybe they're reccomending all of battlestar except for the last half hour

that's the moral way of doing it

maybe they're recommending all of battlestar except for the last half hour

that's the moral way of doing it

If t means the difference between strapping a viper to my back, i'll go with that!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Goldstein wrote: »
    I thought T'Pol was Enterprise's best character with the most interesting personality traits, development & growth throughout.

Sidebar: I think T'Pol & Trip formed by a huge margin the most believeable and real relationship in all the Treks.

Well, I am only 1/2 way through the series. I'll keep an open mind :)

T'Pol does seem to have improved in general this season. Archer's gotten a little too angry, though.

gatecrash wrote: »
    can't make up my mind.... are you recommending battlestar, or spitting on it.

He must be recommending it, surely. Spitting on Battlestar is unfathomable.

he'd better be... i'll not stand for these shenanigans!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I wasn't sold on Battlestar initially having grown up watching reruns of the original (I mean the 1978 season, not the god awful 1980 one - although "The Return of Starbuck" was actually decent and they did predict skinjobs!)

Anyway, around the time they introduced the Pegasus in the new BSG I was sold - awesome ship, great skipper (big jump from Ensign to Admiral there too!) and a fantastic 2-parter to introduce them with probably my favorite musical piece from the series (Prelude to War). Expanded brilliantly too in Razor. I actually liked the XO too (can't think of his name - EDIT: Colonel Fisk :)) - pity they killed him off so fast.

In the later seasons too I loved the nods to the old Centurions - particularly the battle royale between them and the new models in the finalé

But, I felt BSG lost its way in the last season or so with the over-emphasis on the religious aspect of the saga. The finalé was a bit DS9-like too.. great for the first hour, then meh!

Did Blood and Chome get cancelled or something? That had promise from what I saw. Must have a look on the BSG forum..

• Advertisement

I stopped Voyager season 1 for Andromeda, the mention of Farscape has confirmed what's next on my list.
    Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Did Blood and Chome get cancelled or something? That had promise from what I saw. Must have a look on the BSG forum..

Sort of, the pilot will be released but it won't become a full series, might have been something about webisodes as well.

I have the farscape blurays, but sold my tv earlier in the year so i've nothing to watch blurays on

most distressed

.. really want to watch it now that I mentioned it

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I wasn't sold on Battlestar initially having grown up watching reruns of the original (I mean the 1978 season, not the god awful 1980 one - although "The Return of Starbuck" was actually decent and they did predict skinjobs!)

Anyway, around the time they introduced the Pegasus in the new BSG I was sold - awesome ship, great skipper (big jump from Ensign to Admiral there too!) and a fantastic 2-parter to introduce them with probably my favorite musical piece from the series (Prelude to War). Expanded brilliantly too in Razor. I actually liked the XO too (can't think of his name - EDIT: Colonel Fisk :)) - pity they killed him off so fast.

In the later seasons too I loved the nods to the old Centurions - particularly the battle royale between them and the new models in the finalé

But, I felt BSG lost its way in the last season or so with the over-emphasis on the religious aspect of the saga. The finalé was a bit DS9-like too.. great for the first hour, then meh!

i'm tempted to get a gif of the ref from celebrity death match saying hmmmm i'll allow it...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

I agree with you on the last season of BSG. The fianle was a bit DS-9 like, Ronald D. Moore did quite a bit of work on DS-9.

Apart from that BSG was the best sci-fi in years and I want another good show like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I have BSG on Blu-Ray but have struggled to get into it a bit. I've watched the first few episodes of Season 1 but that's it. I don't have that film they released though, "The Plan".

I just finished watched "The Chase" from TNG. It was a surprisingly good episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

BSG is the one of the finest pieces of sci-fi ever put on TV. Truly stunning.

The scene where (I won't put in a spoiler, cos eveyone reads them anyway) and the version of "All Along The Watchtower" is playing is just unbelievably brilliant!!!

_____

Anyway, i've just about finished my run through of DS9 - last two episodes will be on after MOTD tonight. First time ever watching the whole thing from 1-7 in order. Great stuff altogether.

G-Money wrote: »
    I have BSG on Blu-Ray but have struggled to get into it a bit. I've watched the first few episodes of Season 1 but that's it. I don't have that film they released though, "The Plan".

I found the parts with Helo and Boomer on Caprica hard to watch, it's a main part of the story but for me it was an annoyance cutting in to more interesting bits.
    Stick with it, series only gets better :)

Well, I just started season 2 of Voyager & had to pause it to post this. It seems during seasons 1 & 2, a round of demotions were in order.

Tom Paris is now reduced in rank from a full Lieutenant, to Junior Lieutenant
    Tuvok is now reduced in rank from Lieutenant Commander, to Lieutenant

No explanation given, never noticed it before! Maybe a light went on in the writers heads & they realised they'd need room for promotions over the seven series? There certainly doesn't seem to be a canon reason for it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Well, I just started season 2 of Voyager & had to pause it to post this. It seems during seasons 1 & 2, a round of demotions were in order.

Tom Paris is now reduced in rank from a full Lieutenant, to Junior Lieutenant
    Tuvok is now reduced in rank from Lieutenant Commander, to Lieutenant

No explanation given, never noticed it before! Maybe a light went on in the writers heads & they realised they'd need room for promotions over the seven series? There certainly doesn't seem to be a canon reason for it :confused:

Noticed that myself. Also they made a song and dance about Tuvok getting Lt. Commander in the 4th season I think it was and demoted Paris even further to Ensign in the 5th season I think.

Also they must have demoted Torres too. Cause in one of the episodes Paris said he outranks her (an ep from the 3rd or 4th season), but Torres was made Chief Engineer ahead of the Ginger haird guy (forget his name :o ). The ginger haired guy was a full Lieutenant, so Torres would have been made a full Lieutenant and when Paris was demoted to junior she'd be ahead of him.

Anyway, there is so many holes to Voyager it makes Swiss Cheese look solid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

All 176 eps of DS9 now logged. :)

The highlights for me:-
    • 'In the Pale Moonlight' - my faourite episode. "It's a faaaaaake!!!!"
    • 'The Visitor'
    • Episode with Quark and Odo stranded on planet. Cant remember what it's called.
    • O'Briens "AAH BOLLOX!!!!"
    • Garek - all of his stuff was brilliant
    • Quark. Just Quark.
    • It's only a paper moon - Nog's struggle with re-integration after his injury
    • Jadzia
    • Evil Kira's uniform

Probably leaving loads out but these are my immediate memories. Kinda sad it's finished - started on June 26th, and watched every episode in order. There was about 20/25 episodes that I hadn't seen before.
    Dunno what to watch next.....

EDIT - just found this, i got a laugh out of it.

Advertisement