Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

And now I’m also reminded of the extremely fan-servicy white Vulkan away-team uniform they had her in sometimes. It was essentially a body sock, with *very little* leg room left for the imagination to work with.

When she joined Starfleet it made no sense at all that she didn’t wear the regular naval jumpsuit. (Beyond the Berman fan-service angle of course). Similarly, once Seven had recovered enough from assimilation she could have gone to regular uniform. She was technically a «crewman» which would have entitled her to that uniform. They tended to put the female cast into tight fitting unforms too, so Berman could have still of had his jollies while Seven’s attire made more sense to the show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Been reading the transparently Trek inspired book "Redshirts" and, well, it did NOT go in the direction I was thinking it might. John Scalzi's writing style takes a while to get used to, as it's definitely born from the Whedon era or snappy, quippy dialogue from every character.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I don't think it did and I've never heard or read anyone say it cheapened the show. Most things I've heard over the years have been how hot jeri Ryan was if anything.

But Troi walked around in a catsuit at points in tng too (just not as tight) major kira too. Guess 7of9 was just upping the sex factor.

Like, you are entitled to your opinion but no, it did not cheapen the show for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

It absolutely cheapened the show for me. Tbh I kinda don't believe you when you say you can't see why or how. Like, look at that cast photo. Looks like she's walking around the bridge in her thermal underwear. Or the crew posing awkwardly with a "booth-babe" at a sci-fi convention. I remember not being the biggest fan anyway but I gave up completely when 7ofBoobs joined the crew.

Whatever about "how hot jeri Ryan was", Star Trek was supposed to be better than that, or at least we hoped it could be. After Troi finally getting a uniform and full rounded characters like Kira, Dax, Janeway, this felt like they'd just given up and I don't blame Mulgrew at all for being pissed about it.

They were lucky as hell that Jeri Ryan can actually act too, but I don't think calling her the best character on that show is particularly high praise either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,048 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Ethan Phillips looks like he smelt something nasty. Roxanna looks like she's worried somebody noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i remember at the time people were complaining that it cheapened the show. and she's wearing a corset, for god's sake; she (well, her outfit) looks so totally out of place in that promo shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,285 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Plus one of the blurbs for Voyager was... female captain, equality... then half way through they switch to this.

They could still have brought in Seven \ Jeri Ryan and been a bit more subtle about appealing to the 'male gaze' so to speak.

DS9 also switched Kira \ Nana Visitor to a jumpsuit from the original Bajoran padded uniform, which wasn't as blatant.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's easy to forget how much of TV angled itself as intentional titillation for the dad/horn-dog audience. Doctor Who did it a LOT, culminating in Leela, a "companion" who was a savage that ran around in conveniently ripped animal hide. Alongside a change in social norms, the internet's easy access to any and all interests may have killed off the appeal or point of this kind of T&A. Why try to dangle arousal when you just can't compete with what's out there; If anything 7of9 almost comes off quaint compared to what's only a few browser clicks away; softcore anyway. Or indeed if you're an erstwhile boards user, you just make gross Photoshops of Trek cast in the nude and DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

'Starfleet Regulation one hundred ninety one, Article fourteen. In a combat situation involving more than one ship, command falls to the vessel with tactical superiority.'

So Janeway pulls this one out from Starfleet regulations about ordering Captain Ransom to abandon the Equinox. Given how vague and confusing it is, did she make it up?

Say Voyager took heavy damage a minute later and is no longer tactically superior to the Equinox, then Ransom has overall command. If Janeway and the senior staff were killed during a combat situation a random Lieutenant would have seniority over the Equinox because Voyager is still tactically superior according to the regulation...

Someone with rank of captain outranks a ship CO who is just referred to as the captain.

Two captains and Jayneway is killed then the other captain takes over (unless orders from Admiral states otherwise)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

I don't think she made it up otherwise Ransom would have called her out on it. I think tactical superiority referred to both ships design specs rather than their current state. Had the Equinox been another Intrepid class there would have been no clear winner and the lieutenant example doesn't hold because if I remember correctly the regulation had to do with two (roughly) equally senior captains.

I imagine some of this thread's posters' heads might have exploded if Voyager had not one but two attractive blondes in catsuits in the main cast as originally intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,586 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Because Picard is more aimed at older fans and Discovery is aimed at kids who watch all that CW and Arrowverse stuff with a bit of wannabe Euphoria mixed in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭Shoog

Its just incoherent and bombastic with no credible substance. Season four is a joke of a story arc which takes forever to get anywhere and when it does it makes no sense and I don't care where it got to.

I like to feel as though I can look forward to the next episode - its a chore to watch.

I haven't seen the second half of season 4 yet. Probably would if it was on Netflix but couldn't be arsd putting in effort to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Why are you watching it still so?

I watched half of the first episode of season 4 and then gave up as soon as the super Micheal came out again oh Miche the great the hero no thanks. It was going OK up untill that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

At least in the early days they were sleazy towards both genders in Trek

Sleazy absolutely adequately describes that picture

It's that weird ... plastic thing in the middle that's confusing me most; like a belt buckle without the belt, glued above the crotch area. Wonder what on earth the costume designer was thinking ... though that tight onesie style was very in with American Sci-Fi.

It's a medical monitor linked to sickbay. That's what the technical manual says anyway

• Advertisement

Ha. 5 bucks says that was invented after the fact, by some desperate fans trying to rationalise something that forces you to look at people's junk 🤭 I'm going to presume TMPs uniform design has since been intentionally forgotten in the general timeline of Trek crew clothing.

"There was that one time we all wore Jimmy jams for a time but we try not to speak of it"

All TNG flashbacks were in the red outfits. Never once got a flashback to that era.

Trek 09 gave it a sort of comeback with the famous Capt. Robou

In the Picard thread but probably more at home here.

The petition mentions that Kurtzman wanders from Rodenberrys Utopian vision of the future. I reckon it actually makes a hard turn Right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

DOUBLE STAR TREK WEEK! 🙂

Depends on your sources. Technically in Ireland, we're still waiting for Discovery. (And hasn't Prodigy been running alongside Disco for some time now?)

Any date for Paramount plus launching yet?

Ms

Depends on What you class as Star Trek.

Is Picard Star Trek. After theat 1st episode of season 2 can happily say yes.

Is that other thing Star Trek or some generic Sci fi show? In my opinion it's just some generic Sci-Fi show so not Star Trek in my world anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

I'm of a similar mind AMKC. It is now a Star Trek week for myself. Alas it has been a long looooong time since my last Double Star Trek week. Could this change if Strange New Worlds is good? One can hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,285 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Laurel Goodwin, who played Yeoman J.M.Colt in the original Star Trek pilot episode "The Cage" has passed away.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/07/laurel-goodwin-girls-girls-girls-actress-dead-at-79/

Also, Mitchell Ryan who played Kyle Riker (Will's father) in Star Trek TNG passed away over the weekend. He was also known for his role as Dharma's father in Dharma and Gregg.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Some gameplay footage of that new Trek game surfaced: you can certainly see the Telltale Games lineage;

• Advertisement
    Ms

That looks really good. What Computer systems will that be availible on?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement