Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

alproctor wrote: »
    All 176 eps of DS9 now logged. :)

Well done good sir. I finished my recent run through a couple of months back, you do indeed miss it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

the lack of continuity around peoples ranks is really a pet hate of mine.

Apart from anything should the actor not know how many pips he/she has on their neck :confused:

the lack of continuity around peoples ranks is really a pet hate of mine.

Apart from anything should the actor not know how many pips he/she has on their neck :confused:

This thing with Paris & Tuvok though, it's so blatant it's almost like there was meant to be an explanation...but was written out due to time constraints or something. We'll prob never know what the reason for it was, or indeed, if there even was a reason

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

EnterNow wrote: »
    This thing with Paris & Tuvok though, it's so blatant it's almost like there was meant to be an explanation...but was written out due to time constraints or something. We'll prob never know what the reason for it was, or indeed, if there even was a reason

Probably laziness, but it stuff like that annoys a lot of people.

I mean imagine a Lt. Cmdr on an aircraft carrier came to work one day and he was a Lt.. i think he'd notice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Also they must have demoted Torres too. Cause in one of the episodes Paris said he outranks her (an ep from the 3rd or 4th season), but Torres was made Chief Engineer ahead of the Ginger haird guy (forget his name :o ). The ginger haired guy was a full Lieutenant, so Torres would have been made a full Lieutenant and when Paris was demoted to junior she'd be ahead of him.

Could Torres not have been Chief Engineer without having been made a Lieutenant? Surely rank and role are two different things - hence O'Brien being Chief Engineer of DS9.

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Could Torres not have been Chief Engineer without having been made a Lieutenant? Surely rank and roll are two different things - hence O'Brien being Chief Engineer of DS9.

Yeah we had a similar discussion in the Doesn't Make Sense thread recently regards rank & role. I think Torres' was never given a rank per say, just Chief Engineer therefore outranking Lt. Kerry.

Paris would outrank Torres, & Torres would outrank Paris depending on the situation, it really is down to the context.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Could Torres not have been Chief Engineer without having been made a Lieutenant? Surely rank and role are two different things - hence O'Brien being Chief Engineer of DS9.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%27Elanna_Torres
    Later, when she joined the USS Voyager, she was given provisional rank of Lieutenant, junior grade and posted in engineering. After some time she was promoted to the provisional rank of Lieutenant and made the Chief Engineer.

I guess she was a full Lieutenant. But Paris as a junior outranked her. Another Voyager plot hole.

I guess she was a full Lieutenant. But Paris as a junior outranked her. Another Voyager plot hole.

What was the situation/context of the scene where he outranked her? Also, might this have happened while Paris was still a full Lieutenant?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I remembering Paris and Torres arguing once over rank, Paris said he was a Bridge officer therefore he was senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I remembering Paris and Torres arguing once over rank, Paris said he was a Bridge officer therefore he was senior.

Yep, you remember. I'm not sure of the episode myself, might have been the Pon Farr episode with Ensign Vorak, but I am not 100% sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Quandary

Nearly finished watching TNG box set for the third time in the last 2 years :)

What a brilliant series!

I loved all the star treks - even Voyager despite Janeways ear polluting voice!

Loved DS9 too despite the lame father son scenes between Sisko and his son Jake.

I've started watching Farscape but find it a bit wooden and unnatural. I'm up to about episode 10 of series 1 so will keep going, hopefully it gets better!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

alproctor wrote: »
    All 176 eps of DS9 now logged. :)

The highlights for me:-
    • 'In the Pale Moonlight' - my faourite episode. "It's a faaaaaake!!!!"
    • 'The Visitor'
    • Episode with Quark and Odo stranded on planet. Cant remember what it's called.
    • O'Briens "AAH BOLLOX!!!!"
    • Garek - all of his stuff was brilliant
    • Quark. Just Quark.
    • It's only a paper moon - Nog's struggle with re-integration after his injury
    • Jadzia
    • Evil Kira's uniform

Probably leaving loads out but these are my immediate memories. Kinda sad it's finished - started on June 26th, and watched every episode in order. There was about 20/25 episodes that I hadn't seen before.
    Dunno what to watch next.....

EDIT - just found this, i got a laugh out of it.

Love that YouTube clip!

Has there been a better Trek episode in any series than In The Pale Moonlight?

Oh and Evil Kira coming onto Good Kira...;) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Quandary wrote: »
    Loved DS9 too despite the lame father son scenes between Sisko and his son Jake.

Really? I find the Sisko/Jake relationship to be very good and they both seem very natural in their scenes together. I usually dislike the token kid in these things but I thought Cirroc Lofton was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

clearly Tuvok was busted down for making Voyager having to chase down the marquis and get stuck 70k light years away :D

As for Paris it could be that he was given a provisional rank for the mission but since it got extended he was given a lower permanent one?

that's about the best i can do

clearly Tuvok was busted down for making Voyager having to chase down the marquis and get stuck 70k light years away :D

Nah :D
    As for Paris it could be that he was given a provisional rank for the mission but since it got extended he was given a lower permanent one?

that's about the best i can do

He was only ever an observer, with no rank, until they got stranded. Once in the Delta Quadrant, he was made a full Lieutenant by Janeway. So it doesn't make sense because from the moment he was given his first rank, Janeway knew the mission was going to be extended...seriously extended.

I watched an ep last night & Tuvok addressed himself as Lieutenant, not Commander which wouldn't be unusual for a Lt. Commander...so its clearly not just a prop error.

Edit, from Wikipedia:
    At the opening of the 4th season episode "Revulsion", relatively dated 2374, Tuvok was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Commander. Before this in most of the 1st season he is frequently referred to as "Lieutenant", even though he wears Lieutenant Commander rank insignia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuvok

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Quandary

Really? I find the Sisko/Jake relationship to be very good and they both seem very natural in their scenes together. I usually dislike the token kid in these things but I thought Cirroc Lofton was great.

Cirroc Lofton wasn't the problem, I just found Cisco's character a bit annoying during the father son interactions :)

Not Wesley Crusher or Neelix annoying, but still!

I'd agree with Beefy, I found the father/son thing quite well done. The episode 'The Visitor' wouldn't have been so good if it wern't for how well developed the relationship was

The visitor is a stand out episode, but as Enter says the relationship was very well developed and father/son were very close so it lost a little of the "hit" it could have gotten if they were a bit more distant. Jake having all those years to realise what he's lost etc

I mean losing your mother young and then your father a few years later and them not being close, could have led to a more powerful ep.. but it was still a great ep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

The visitor is a stand out episode, but as Enter says the relationship was very well developed and father/son were very close so it lost a little of the "hit" it could have gotten if they were a bit more distant. Jake having all those years to realise what he's lost etc

I mean losing your mother young and then your father a few years later and them not being close, could have led to a more powerful ep.. but it was still a great ep

the thing with the Visitor is that it showed the struggle and torment that Jake went through, for the rest of his life. Having him come to a slow realisation would not have been as heart wrenching. Jake threw away his life, to save his father and literally then threw it away, by rewriting the timeline (also of everyone else, in said timeline, but that would be my only criticism of the episode)

Yep, you remember. I'm not sure of the episode myself, might have been the Pon Farr episode with Ensign Vorak, but I am not 100% sure.

The ep this was in was the one were they get transported off the ship into a habitat by the Nerians

Its on CBS action now, Torres says Paris cant order her around, he said he's a bridge office and also has seniorority (torrest then jokes its only by 2 days)

• Advertisement

Torres says Paris cant order her around, he said he's a bridge office and also has seniorority (torrest then jokes its only by 2 days)

Hmm, I don't remember that one, but I'm sure I'll get to it eventually. I don't think Bridge Officer authority would carry any additional weight outside of the bridge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

couldnt thinkof anywhere else for this..

Kahless would be rolling in his grave {the real one that is} :D

Hmm, I don't remember that one, but I'm sure I'll get to it eventually. I don't think Bridge Officer authority would carry any additional weight outside of the bridge

Why not? He was a Bridge Officer, often left in command if Tuvok and Chakotay were not around. Made Acting XO a couple of times. One would assume he passed the Bridge Officer Test which makes him the ranking officer in this case!!

Why not? He was a Bridge Officer, often left in command if Tuvok and Chakotay were not around. Made Acting XO a couple of times. One would assume he passed the Bridge Officer Test which makes him the ranking officer in this case!!

In what case though? A bridge officer can't exactly waltz down to engineering & start throwing their weight around. When I get to the episode I'll see what context it was said in, but I've never seen a bridge officer take command anywhere else (except actual ranking officers like Riker, Data etc).

The bridge officer thing as far as I see it, is for a clear chain of command on the bridge only

In what case though? A bridge officer can't exactly waltz down to engineering & start throwing their weight around. When I get to the episode I'll see what context it was said in, but I've never seen a bridge officer take command anywhere else (except actual ranking officers like Riker, Data etc).

The bridge officer thing as far as I see it, is for a clear chain of command on the bridge only

It didn't happen in Engineering :P It was off the ship, not spoiling anything else ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

couldnt thinkof anywhere else for this..

Oh sweet mother of divine Jesus!! :eek: It's so bad, it's funny!
    Kahless would be rolling in his grave {the real one that is} :D

LMAO!!

It didn't happen in Engineering :P It was off the ship, not spoiling anything else ;)

Then again, it comes down to context. You won't be spoiling anything, I've seen every single episode of every season of every show, multiple times...this ones eludes me though as many VOY eps do. Repressed memory ftw :p

If it happened off the ship, many things come into consideration regards taking command. Maybe your right, but the way I see & understand it, being a bridge officer doesn't make you more superior to an equal rank once outside of the bridge. A senior officer, well thats different ;)

From the sounds of it, its Paris' just posturing & chancing his arm. What exactly happened in the end?

Then again, it comes down to context. You won't be spoiling anything, I've seen every single episode of every season of every show, multiple times...this ones eludes me though as many VOY eps do. Repressed memory ftw :p

If it happened off the ship, many things come into consideration regards taking command. Maybe your right, but the way I see & understand it, being a bridge officer doesn't make you more superior to an equal rank once outside of the bridge. A senior officer, well thats different ;)

From the sounds of it, its Paris' just posturing & chancing his arm. What exactly happened in the end?

It was the episode where the crew was being replaced by an alien species one by one and placed into habitats.
    They broke out of theirs and into another one which was really cold. Torres falls and he 'orders' her up!

So the chain of command is as follows, rank, seniority, division, Starfleet directives. Just as in a tactical situation, Janeway was the ranking officer over over Captain Ransom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It was the episode where the crew was being replaced by an alien species one by one and placed into habitats.
    They broke out of theirs and into another one which was really cold. Torres falls and he 'orders' her up!

So the chain of command is as follows, rank, seniority, division, Starfleet directives. Just as in a tactical situation, Janeway was the ranking officer over over Captain Ransom.

Plot devices shouldn't count though. :)

Advertisement