Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

It's the season-long story telling that kills it for me, I think.

"Trek has always been as subtle as a hammer about its politics" -- maybe in an episode here and there and maybe not always handled the best, but then the next one was a wild adventure on the holodeck, or a courtroom drama, or something about Klingon politics, or a time-bending mystery, or... etc. etc.

Now it's all mushed together and spread too thin. Every episode is about all the issues. Can't just have an episode dealing with Earth in the 32nd century, and another about N'var, and then another that's just a bit of fun, or a bit of action. All these people, places, and themes overstay their welcome and "space" feels very very small.

And what gets me too is that Discovery has utterly failed to show us a world worth aspiring towards, either in the 22nd or 32nd century. But they expect us to get warm-fuzzies at the idea of this American politician being the president of the entire planet Earth -- which only last season seemed to be some militaristic hell-hole.

It's no fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

The implication that any detractor of the episode would be against an individuals right to vote is so far of a leap that you ended up landing in another continent. That's a whole other argument that wasn't mentioned once in a near 30 minute long presentation.

Going back to P&R , its a moot point because there was no controversy. That's a topical / satirical type of show where real world politicians wouldn't be so out of place. Its actually very rare for real life politicians to feature in fictional TV shows. 7 seasons of The West Wing and how many current politicians at the time ever made cameos , zero? Its not a "yet another" situation.

So I have nothing against SA myself. Rather that I know the casting wasn't in good faith and was done partly to stick it to the other side. That's what people have issue with. Stoking tensions has no place in sci-fi entertainment shows , particularly not a ST show.

Just another point while I'm here since nobody knows anything about me or where I'm coming from. I'm not a Trump support , nor am I a Trump hater. To some that means I'm a supporter but whatever. I've always maintained that Baldwin done a great impression of him. In my view that's where politicians should feature on TV , being satirised and spoofed. In the 90's SNL spoofed both sides in equal measure , low and behold it was the greatest era of SNL that will ever exist. These days Jim Carey says he does Joe Biden once and never again , despite Biden offering plenty opportunity for comedy. A quick explanation for that would be left wing(democrat) politics and entertainment has fused together. That's a cause for concern when it comes to creativity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Indeed it would be quite the leap, had I made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

Just as a sort of aside to the whole Politics & "Left-leaning woke agenda" arguments in Trek. I'd echo Pixelburp's sentiments and that while we'd often get political messages and ideas in Trek...it was all done within the packaging of an enjoyable sci-fi adventure show. Generally, you'd be enjoying yourself watching a Trek show and a moral message might just add to that enjoyment, or simply add some depth to the plot.

The moral messaging starts to stick out for me a bit when the show itself starts to fail to be enjoyable. As mentioned before, this was usually due to the scriptwriting. A poor writer wouldn't know how to naturally gel a moral issue into the narrative of a space show. They'd be more inclined to pump the breaks on a high-pressure scene, to start making a speech to declare their point without the any of the finesse we’ve seen before. But even that doesn’t bother me as long as I’m having a good time.

A lot of modern Trek writers, specifically with Discovery do not appear to know how to write a fun Trek show, and so their moral messaging kind of sticks out in an already unenjoyable slog of a space drama. If they can make Trek enjoyable they can tick off a whole load of check boxes on the “woke agenda” for all I care as long as they get that enjoyment bit right first.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Practically everything about Disco can be explained by this. It's also why TNG got away with bad acting or canon mistakes or whatever. Because at the end of the day there was enough good that you were enjoying it.

If you had Burnham's whispering back in TNG we would all just laugh it off like Sisco's shouting and yelping. But on Disco it's just another lump for the pile.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This is the fundamental rot at the heart of all new Trek. The writing is total shíte, taking cues from the worst emotion dominant, "tell don't show" priorities poisoning a lot of middleground US dramas: even Picard succumbs to jt and I'm enjoying the season so far despite some absolute clunkers in the writing. The writing and plot structure is often fúcking woeful. The politics rise to the top cos that's the only part the writers can commit to and be sure of - but without the structure of good storytelling to hide it all, you get this huffing and puffing from those who think it's all politics led. It ain't, it's just the writers aren't smart enough to mix it better. All this chatter about "the woke left" ascribes conspiracy and a degree of scheming bereft of the writing team. They're really not that smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

Q: You hit me?! Picard never hit me.

The Sisko: You leave his name out of your f***ing mouth!

Trailer for a Voyager documentary, from the same folks who made that DS9 doc What We Left Behind; watching Ethan Phillips and Robert Picardo bicker like an old married couple was quite cute...

Well that seems to cover the unease some of the cast felt.

Wonder how far down the Mulgrew Vs Ryan rabbit hole they'll go. She's conspicuous by her absence

• Advertisement

I think MAGA Klingons would have worked very well post DS9 where they have been getting too lovey dovey with the Federation and Romulans for so long. Imagine Martok offered to help the Romulan refugees and some lads decide taking advantage is better

Jeri Ryan is listed on the IMDB credits, Roxanne Dawson too. They might not have gotten around to their interviews yet.

That photo is such a big Fk U to Kes. Would not be hard to photoshoot her in.

Poor not as hot as 7 Kes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

How the bejaysus are they going to work Data into it...... AGAIN?

All Eyes On Rafah

I was assuming the Soong from season 1

B4 failed though right?

Ah fcuk it. We'll see. So I'm taking it Season 3 is a goodbye to TNG.

Anyone think Disney might do a better job? They've done great work with The Mandalorian, Loki, etc

Could they work Trek?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Oh I know. Just curious to see who could make it work. Trek has such deep and rich lore with a deeply invested fan base. Just a shame its not reaching its full potential.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

Better with Mandalorian bit sht with Boba Fett and the movies have been up and down too.

Mando did have Favreau same as Lower decks had MacMahon and that's the key. It needs to come from a certain place

Yeah I thought no Boba Fett ran out of content when it basically becomes season 2.5 of another show (totally not complaining, it fcuking worked)

I'd just love to see what someone like Taika Waititi could bring to the franchise.

All Eyes On Rafah

Boba Fett looked sht from episode 1 for me. Mando should have been Boba Fett if you wanted to do a Fett show.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No. I would not want Disneys filthy hands anywhere near Star Trek. They ruined Star Wars and they would destroy Star Trek even worse than Jj and Co have with the new films and that rubbish Discovery. Thankfully we still have good Star Trek to with Picard, Lower Decks and also SNW on the way.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Are they seriously trying to rework Data in again or just using Brent Spiner the actor? Maybe it's a flashback thing.

It would be hilarious if they brought Data back after the goodbye in season 1

What about Lore? He dead, or what, I can't remember. Or it could be a hitherto unknown brother - these aren't exactly good, talented plotters and writers

B4 is probably out of cold storage now the synth ban is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Not technically dead I think. Data did shoot him do but sure he is an android with the right parts he could be fixed. After Descent Data just took him apart or maybe starfleet did.

I am sure he could be fixed.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Think Data took the emotion chip that was used in Generations?

All Eyes On Rafah

Advertisement