Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

It's not beyond the pale to be in for example an Airforce, and to be an avionics engineer. You'll probably never fly a fighter jet in such a role, but if that kind of work is what drives you, then it's a good job to have.

I'm thinking that the Starfleet Corps of Engineers are made of up many different roles and disciplines. You might get some members who just love building new startships. Some might even prefer being on Mars and only a quick shuttle trip back to friends & family. It's also probable that to be based at the Shipyards you'll still need to do a tour of Fleet duty under a Chief Engineer to get a sense of how Starships actually behave.

This might actually be a requirement for all newly minted Starfleet recruits regardless of department. You might remember from Voyager episode "Good Shepard" where you had Crewman Harren down on Desk 15. He didn't even want to be on the ship, but had to put in mandatory Fleet service in order to get into the research station he wanted to join. I get the feeling that Starfleet is a place where you get a taste of the great unknown, whether you like it or not :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

My point was more like joining the US Air Force and being assigned to the assembly line at Northrop Grumman. Federation shipyards seem to mostly be manned by Starfleet personnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭flazio

While Zhou tried to promote Stranger Things by visiting the Upside Down. 😁 (thankfully he's OK)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

Yea, see what you mean. It's makes me wonder about the economic structure of Earth/Federarion yet again. As well all know, Earth is this money-less utopia that somehow functions on the back of people wanting to better themselves and all of humanity. However, they never really do a good job of explaining how that is supposed to work.

The Federation clearly has plenty of semi-state agencies and companies that we've heard about, but we've also seen private businesses. The Picard Vinyard, the Sisco Resturant, private freight lines and so on. But how does that work, and can anyone really work in a non-state role in a money-free society? At least Star Fleet is clearly a state entity with a stated set of functions so it's easy to imagine them to be involved with Fleet Yards...however, do private Yard operators exist? Much like Norhtrop Grumman, like you mention? Is interesting to wonder.

Everyone given a certain standard of living. Base level accommodation, easily survivable living credit allowance, free food (replicator), free education, and any necessities.

Anything more and you do need credits but you never "need" for anything.

The only way I can see it work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Problem is a replicator can make anything. So the "anything more" could just be replicated too.

Replicators and transporters have always been a problem

I wonder if some people are just so bored they'll go out an do anything just for something to do like how Keiko became a schoolteacher on DS9, but I can't see people being so desperate they'll do the scut work jobs like cleaning the shellfish at Sisko's.

Veering off into my own idea of a better explanation for the economics of the future would be because of replicators and fusion reactors all the essentials are provided to an adequate standard but if you want more/better/nicer you'll have to work for it or if you want to do something more esoteric your needs are already met.

There's one area with finite resources where that actually seems to be the case, on Earth at least, formal education. The Pennington* school had entrance critera.

*After a good 25 years I just noticed the pun

In a world of workers rights and no money I would have kitchen porter very high up on my list of preferred jobs.

They can't make latium, original art or ancient artefacts, and the food is allegedly sub standard.

It wouldn't be for me. No matter what the working conditions are it's not interesting or fulfilling work and from the one example we have it's still a hard job.

• Advertisement

You get transporter credits (Think Picard mentioned burning through them, in the academy)

Replicators have always been said to be a good approximation but never quite as good as real. So there would still be a market for Château Picard or Sisko's and you would need credits for that.

Want to go off world? Credits

Want hand made goods? Credits

Want bigger/better home? Credits

Want a skycar? Credits

It was Sisko but that may have been a discipline thing at Starfleet Academy more than an actual scarcity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

On a related, if slightly pointless note, what would the DS9 intro look like as a Nintend64 game?

Though I hadn't realised there actually was a DS9 game .. for the SNES. Must have a looksee, if it was any good; anyone ever play it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Played it on the mega drive a loooonng time ago. As far as I remember the controls were quite clunky, and it took me a few attempts to get into it. As far as I can recall it was a fairly bland game, like most licensed IP of the time, but I do believe later in the game there were some fun parts where you were controlling runabouts or defending DS9. Could be another game though, it was a very, very long time ago!

I definitely played a DS9 game but can't remember what it was called. I think the station was taken over and I seem to remember a lot of Jeffries tubes.

Controls and graphics were poor even for the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Yeah. I also had some 7 cd DS9 game set for PC as well that had a really janky game on one of the disks. The other cds had the rules of acquisition, I think some for of technical manual, and I believe a bridge simulator. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but it was in a large folding box. Can't find what it was through googling. Must dig through the wardrobe next time I'm at the folks and see if it's still there!

I liked Dominion War game, for all its horrendous controls

Crossroads of Time is the crap one I was thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Star Trek Armada and Birth of the Federation were great games.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

What was the TNG game where you controlled the bridge party on away missions? You could set controls on the ship, too - more power to engines or shields, or whatever, though that bit was quite limited. Made me go out and buy a new PC capable of running it! (Ah, web search tells me it was A Final Unity). Great game for the time! I remember being amazed at one of the plot points included - an old (radio?) message from X (20?) years ago had been lost, and it was needed to find coordinates for the last part of the game. The solution was to navigate the Enterprise to 20 light years from the origin point, and pick up the message as it was travelling out into space at the speed of light. What, designers who actually paid attention to the laws of physics?!

Birth of the Federation - I lost so many hours to that game, it was indeed a great one! Right up there with any of the Civ games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭flazio

As I understand it, the replicators still need a finite energy source to turn into the matter that is requested. Remember early on in Voyager when Janeway declared "There's coffee in that Nebula"

A Final Unity was the first Trek game I ever played as a very young lad. Just loved flying in random directions and fighting Romulan on the tactical panel.

The plot puzzles were difficult for little me to get by (some of them) particularly that one where you stepped on the wrong square you got transported back to the beginning.

But the voice acting and CGI scenes were cool, as was the ability to have different outcomes. Playedike an episode. Great craic.

All Eyes On Rafah

Played Armada 1&2 recently. Playing the mods of BOTF at the moment

Yeah if you're getting the Birth of the Federation itch.

Buy 'Stellaris' and Download the free Star Trek 'New Horizons' total conversion mod. Great game.

All Eyes On Rafah

I have it. Just not had the time to give it, yet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Never played it, but fair play how the 25th Anniversary managed to get the whole cast back; looked like a fairly standard Point n' Click adventure, with a few space battles in between...

Me realising no new Trek this week.

All Eyes On Rafah

I still have Orville s3 which will have to do. I did really like it but in it's absence LD and SNW have really raised the bar and made it a little redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

We still have the TNG knock off /homage in The Orville?

Seth wanted to cosplay being captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise. And Fox let him do it. Link

10 Times The Orville "Borrowed" From Star Trek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Why are they bald people in trek??

Advertisement